• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama promises Syria ‘won’t be another Afghanistan’

Medusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
“I know that the American people are weary after a decade of war, even as the war in Iraq has ended, and the war in Afghanistan is winding down. That’s why we’re not putting our troops in the middle of somebody else’s war,” Mr Obama said.

but you can bomb them..

disgusting

first arm these monsters through your puppets ,help them , provoke them ,then claim the regime is responsible for this violence

Obama promises Syria

Obama has never kept a promise yet.

he cant declare crusade against muslims because he is muslim too:roll:

Look, how about we cut the crusade crap? That was hundreds of years ago, and Muslim extremists have more than made up for anything that happened then. I don't like Obama, but I'm not going to dredge up old history about crusades. And Muslims weren't innocent then either.

Look, how about we cut the crusade crap? That was hundreds of years ago, and Muslim extremists have more than made up for anything that happened then. I don't like Obama, but I'm not going to dredge up old history about crusades. And Muslims weren't innocent then either.

l dont know why people want to ignore this
http://www.nbcuniversalarchives.com/nbcuni/clip/51A3683_020.do

Long Description:
EXT DAY MCU President George W. Bush declares a crusade or a war on terror following 9/11 terrorist attacks. George Bush state, "This crusade, this war on terrorism, is going to take a while. And the American people must be patient, I am going to be patient." On September 11th 2009, nineteen Al-Qaeda terrorists hijacked four commercial passenger jet airliners and crashed them into either the World Trade Center or the Pentagon. One plane crashed into a field in rural Pennsylvania after some of its passengers and flight crew attempted to retake control of the plane.
Colour: COLOR

modern crusaders ...............

Last edited:
President Bush declares a crusade or... Stock Footage & Video Clips | NBCUniversal Archives

Long Description:
EXT DAY MCU President George W. Bush declares a crusade or a war on terror following 9/11 terrorist attacks. George Bush state, "This crusade, this war on terrorism, is going to take a while. And the American people must be patient, I am going to be patient." On September 11th 2009, nineteen Al-Qaeda terrorists hijacked four commercial passenger jet airliners and crashed them into either the World Trade Center or the Pentagon. One plane crashed into a field in rural Pennsylvania after some of its passengers and flight crew attempted to retake control of the plane.

Sorry, but adding "crusade" to "the war on terror" doesn't make the war on terror a crusade.

President Bush declares a crusade or... Stock Footage & Video Clips | NBCUniversal Archives

Long Description:

Sorry, I'm going to disagree with you. Your bomb-belted friends are the real "crusaders" who want to force their religion on the world.

Last edited:
Sorry, but adding "crusade" to "the war on terror" doesn't make the war on terror a crusade.

yes it does

whether you like or not

imperialism always needs some people who will ignore the imperialism,
what a pity

demagogy cant hide any racism

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm going to agree with you. Your bomb-belted friends are the real "crusaders" who want to force their religion on the world.

obama alllies with them in syria ,not me

if he is really against them ,he should take assad's side

Obama promises Syria ‘won’t be another Afghanistan’

That's because he is a Nobel prize winner. ;)

Crusaders has nothing to do with it.

One question though: why is the Turkish government anti-Assad?

Look, how about we cut the crusade crap?

Why? We won. I've been very friendly with the Ummah, I have learned a lot, and respect a lot. But if there is a portion who wants war? Onward Christian Soldiers... This time, we'll lead with the Lion of Lechistan...

yes it does

whether you like or not

imperialism always need some people who will ignore the imperialism,
what a pity
A crusade is a medieval military expedition, one of a series made by Europeans to recover the Holy Land from the Muslims in the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries. You're falsely calling the war on terror something it's obviously not. Both the crusades and TWOT both have imperialistic aspects, but that doesn't make the war on terror imperialistic.

Last edited:
obama alllies with them in syria ,not me

He shouldn't take any sides he should stay out of it unless there's a UN resolution.

First off, all of you need to stop correcting Medusa on her use of the term "crusade." Yes, when it is used as a noun with a capital "C" it refers to any one of several Christian religious wars occurring over a certain period of European history. However, her current usage is essentially correct, since a crusade (small "c") is a vigorous concerted action to promote or eliminate something. You all know she is properly using the term, and to try to divert the argument down a path of semantics is fallacious and unworthy of debate.

Having said that IMO Obama is making a promise that he cannot keep. He states his action is to send a message that use of chemical weapons will not be tolerated. His tools are to be air and missile strikes. No matter how "targeted," such weapons still have an "area effect" and there is no guarantee innocent civilians of all ages will not be harmed.

Furthermore, such strikes will neither eliminate the chemical weapons nor prevent their use should either side decide it's in their interests to do so. The only way to truly eliminate such weapons would be to send in a massive military ground force to take control of Syria and do a complete and thorough search to locate and destroy all caches of chemical weapons.

That would mean "boots on the ground," and placing American military units at risk of attack by all sides in the current conflict. Thus, escalation from air/missile strike seems inevitable once we commit to "punishing Syria and preventing further use of chemical weapons." When will we learn that sometimes the best policy is to just let the citizens of a sovereign nation figure things out for themselves without our interference?

Last edited:
First off, all of you need to stop correcting Medusa on her use of the term "crusade." Yes, when it is used as a noun with a capital "C" it refers to any one of several Christian religious wars occurring over a certain period of European history. However, her current usage is essentially correct, since a crusade (small "c") is a vigorous concerted action to promote or eliminate something. You all know she is properly using the term, and to try to divert the argument down a path of semantics is fallacious and unworthy of debate.

Having said that IMO Obama is making a promise that he cannot keep. He states his action is to send a message that use of chemical weapons will not be tolerated. His tools are to be air and missile strikes. No matter how "targeted," such weapons still have an "area effect" and there is no guarantee innocent civilians of all ages will not be harmed.

Furthermore, such strike will neither eliminate the chemical weapons nor prevent their use should either side decide it's in their interests to do so. The only way to eliminate such weapons so would be to send in a massive military ground force to take control of Syria and do a complete and thorough search to locate and destroy all caches of chemical weapons.

That would mean "boots on the ground," and placing American military units at risk of attack by all sides in the current conflict. Thus, escalation from air/missile strike seems inevitable once we commit to "punishing Syria and preventing further use of chemical weapons." When will we learn that sometimes the best policy is to just let the citizens of a sovereign nation figure things out for themselves without our interference?
I thought the first definition applied when it's used as a noun, then when it's used as a verb it can refer to non-religious campaigns. Because of this I thought Medusa was saying TWOT is a manifestation of religious sentiments from the crusades. Thank you for enlightening me. :)
As for the second part, agreed. Although, I believe there are other options. Maybe if they can locate the Sarin, they could send in a relatively small force possibly including seal team 6, then take or destroy the Sarin.

Last edited:
No Mr. President, it could be a lot more far reaching.

I thought the first definition applied when it's used as a noun, then when it's used as a verb it can refer to non-religious campaigns. Because of this I thought Medusa was saying TWOT is a manifestation of religious sentiments from the crusades. Thank you for enlightening me. :)
As for the second part, agreed. Although, I believe there are other options. Maybe if they can locate the Sarin, they could send in a relatively small force throw in seal team 6, then take or destroy the Sarin.

Medusa is Turkish, and has some difficulty with the English language although she does her best. Also, it seems likely that she is muslim (although I am not sure of this) and sees our repeated actions in the Middle East as a war against Islam labeled as a war on terror having some foundation:

On Sunday, Bush warned Americans that "this crusade, this war on terrorism, is going to take awhile." He and other US officials have said that renegade Islamic fundamentalist Osama bin Laden is the most likely suspect in the attacks.

Europe cringes at Bush 'crusade' against terrorists - CSMonitor.com

We may have overlooked Bush Jr’s statements, but the rest of the world hasn’t. I think we should cut her some slack and focus on the issue... :)

I also agree that instead of making a grand production out of it the best use of Presidential war powers are quick and deadly surgical strikes on clearly defined targets. I’ve already said as much in a reply to an armchair general in a different thread.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/gener...eting-war-authorization-2.html#post1062293419

Medusa is Turkish, and has some difficulty with the English language although she does her best. Also, it seems likely that she is muslim (although I am not sure of this) and sees our repeated actions in the Middle East as a war against Islam labeled as a war on terror having some foundation:

Europe cringes at Bush 'crusade' against terrorists - CSMonitor.com

We may have overlooked Bush Jr’s statements, but the rest of the world hasn’t. I think we should cut her some slack and focus on the issue... :)

I also agree that instead of making a grand production out of it the best use of Presidential war powers are quick and deadly surgical strikes on clearly defined targets. I’ve already said as much in a reply to an armchair general in a different thread.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/gener...eting-war-authorization-2.html#post1062293419

Different perspectives. I see it as a war on terrorists with too much collateral damage.

You just did.

The problem is that Bush used the term in the small "c" sense and Medusa is trying to spin it as him using it in the large C sense, or using them interchangeably.

Back
Top Bottom