• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama paid ransom for U.S. sailors?

US currency originating in the USA would be easily traceable. The "money" could be nearly anything in any form (gold, debt, write down of debt, write up of aid?). There are all kinds of covert ways of move money, but in this case I don't see the need for secrecy.

I wonder if it were laundered through the Clinton Foundation? Wouldn't that be a hoot?

EDIT:if it were truly cash, it could off Iran's books, too. It's probably going into the honcho's personal bank account.

I doubt it is going to any bank account.

WHAT "US officials"? The article - published by the conservative and not-exactly-a-paragon-of-journalistic-ethics New York Post - never says who the officials were.

This is called "yellow journalism".

Guy, you really should try to be even half as cynical of your own side as you are of mine. I showed you where the SAME amount was PLAINLY agreed-to as a key part of the nuclear negotiations LONG before the sailors were captured...

...but the best you have in return is yellow journalism.

Sad!

Sad is your insistence on perpetuating propaganda amd ignoring the fact that this money was paid at the time of their release and that it was paid in foreign currency to get around US Law

Hey, do you think Iran is going to use any of that 400 Million to fund terrorism ? Or do you even care ??

The administration told us it had been in an account since 1979, so no it was not sitting on a table somewhere.

Why would the American government comply with such an odd request.

There is no American citizen that would be allowed to have that much cash laying around because the assumption is that they will do something bad and untraceable with it.

It is the same in this case.

What statute is it that prohibits a US citizens from possessing $400 million in currency?

I had to laugh as I read it was all just a coincidence. I had two children and nothing attracted my attention with the kids than their attempts to hide something. "What did you put behind your back? Nothing."

I was a police officer and when I was on foot patrol, or in a patrol car, no one caught your eye faster than the guy who quickly put his hand behind his back when he saw you. Odds are it was drugs or a weapon.

Whether President Obama was funding terrorists or paying for the sailors doesn't really interest me. I understand his hatred of America and have to live with it for the rest of the year.

What statute is it that prohibits a US citizens from possessing $400 million in currency?

Do you really not know what the government wold do if they found a citizen with that much cash on hand?

First they would assume tax evasion.

I mean people lose their money in an account for deposits of around $10,000 for the assumption that it was illegal obtained money.

It is common knowledge.

Do you really not know what the government wold do if they found a citizen with that much cash on hand?

First they would assume tax evasion.

I mean people lose their money in an account for deposits of around $10,000 for the assumption that it was illegal obtained money.

It is common knowledge.

Yes, it is common knowledge, common practice for the government to seize all sorts of assets from innocent people.

My point is that it is illegal for the government to do what it does. In so many ways we have a lawless government in Washington and most states. The war on drugs is a fraud, but I've known that for decades.

The question to you was, is there a statute which prohibits the citizen from possessing currency marked "Legal Tender" on each bill?

The answer is, "No, there is not".

Nor is it illegal for the government to conduct currency transactions with other governments, as long as it's all above board.

Back
Top Bottom