• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama orders public schools to allow transgendered to use bathroom of choice

Jack Fabulous

Friend Zone
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Obama administration tells public schools to let transgender students use bathrooms of their choice | Fox News

The letter, which is signed by officials at the Justice Department and the Department of Education, will be sent out to the districts on Friday.

While the letter does not have the force of law, it does warn that schools that do not abide by the administration’s interpretation of civil rights law may face lawsuits or loss of federal aid.

"There is no room in our schools for discrimination of any kind, including discrimination against transgender students on the basis of their sex," Attorney General Loretta Lynch said in a statement.

I have made it very clear that I could really care less about what bathroom a transgendered person uses. My problem with this "order", though, is illustrated by this sentence...

While the letter does not have the force of law, it does warn that schools that do not abide by the administration’s interpretation of civil rights law may face lawsuits or loss of federal aid.

If the order does not have the force of law then how can there be penalties imposed for not complying with it? It either has force backing it or it doesn't and the threat of consequence for non compliance is CLEARLY force.

Does the administration have the constitutional authority to issue such an order?

Obama administration tells public schools to let transgender students use bathrooms of their choice | Fox News

I have made it very clear that I could really care less about what bathroom a transgendered person uses. My problem with this "order", though, is illustrated by this sentence...

If the order does not have the force of law then how can there be penalties imposed for not complying with it? It either has force backing it or it doesn't and the threat of consequence for non compliance is CLEARLY force.

Does the administration have the constitutional authority to issue such an order?

I couldnt care less either. But of all the things on a presidents to do list, this is one of them? Really? His preoccupation with the nations sexual dysfunctions is getting creepy.

I don't believe kids can truly "know" what gender they are.

Now this will set off a firestorm of mess across various social conservative states.

I don't believe kids can truly "know" what gender they are.
I have an 8 year old daughter and she is constantly referring to things as either "for boys" or "for girls".

This wasn't the point of the thread, though. I was curious to get peoples opinions on whether or not the administration has the authority to force schools to comply with their interpretation of civil rights laws.

Yes they do have the authority, did you miss WHY gay marriage became the law of the land, clue: it is because the Government (Federal/State/Local) Cannot discriminate. Either comply or lose funding, period.

I have an 8 year old daughter and she is constantly referring to things as either "for boys" or "for girls".

This wasn't the point of the thread, though. I was curious to get peoples opinions on whether or not the administration has the authority to force schools to comply with their interpretation of civil rights laws.

Well, the admin. does have the authority. I mean, they just did it.

is this what fox is pissed off about today? i figured that they'd be back to BNN full time now. keep your eye on the ball, fox.

So you have no problem with a parent sending their 5 year old into the bathroom of their birth gender by themselves, that is if you child is not the same sax you are and the fact that you as the parent cannot go in with them. Oppps, did not think out this issue well did we.

Generally, I am sympathetic with the LGBT folks. On the "bathroom issue", the privacy concerns are legitimate, but they can be addressed by re-designing the restrooms to provide individual entrances/screens for everyone, no need to make it a part of the "cultural war". However, the Administration's involvement seems to be very heavy-handed, and this is going to backfire.

Yes they do have the authority, did you miss WHY gay marriage became the law of the land, clue: it is because the Government (Federal/State/Local) Cannot discriminate. Either comply or lose funding, period.

Gay marriage became the law of the land because the SCOTUS ruled in favor of it. I don't recall such a ruling regarding which bathrooms a transgendered person must be allowed access to. Could you provide a link?

Not counting today, how many days till this a****** will be forced to vacate the premises?

So you have no problem with a parent sending their 5 year old into the bathroom of their birth gender by themselves, that is if you child is not the same sax you are and the fact that you as the parent cannot go in with them. Oppps, did not think out this issue well did we.
Way to COMPLETELY miss the point of the thread... and what the hell are you even talking about with the 5 year olds going to the bathroom by themselves?

If your going to respond to the thread, at least try to have a coherent point, okay?

BS. If the federal thugs have the force of law behind them, they can send a SWAT and arrest the school principal. They don't so they threaten.

Just like the Italian mafia used to: pay or your knee caps.

Gay marriage became the law of the land because the SCOTUS ruled in favor of it. I don't recall such a ruling regarding which bathrooms a transgendered person must be allowed access to. Could you provide a link?

Because you do not understand what it means to not discriminate under the law, which this non-issue is all about.

Dear Colleague letters are used with two purposes. The first is to clarify to schools what they are legally obligated to do, with much clearer force of law. This is often as a result of systemic issues that schools face or are commonly violating. However, these letters have also been used by the Department to signal to schools where the Department is headed in interpreting the spirit of the law. Given that the Department gives state and local districts incredible sums of dollars, it does so on the agreement that states will abide by its terms, both in cooperation with the law as well as in the spirit of the law.

Because you do not understand what it means to not discriminate under the law, which this non-issue is all about.
So... nothing about the legal authority to issue such an order?

Okay then.

BS. If the federal thugs have the force of law behind them, they can send a SWAT and arrest the school principal. They don't so they threaten.

Just like the Italian mafia used to: pay or your knee caps.

Actually it is not Libs that are doing such things, now Cons on the otherhand: Texas LT Gov calls for Ft Worth ISD Superintendent to step down because he passed a rule that transgender people are allowed to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with. So if you want to see who tries to use their political position to force others to their will I believe there is no one with clean hands, maybe they should wash them, pick the bathroom of your gender.

So... nothing about the legal authority to issue such an order?

Okay then.

The President has such authority, you seem to forget that the President controls the government school system (Dept of Education), must drive you crazy(er).

Way to COMPLETELY miss the point of the thread... and what the hell are you even talking about with the 5 year olds going to the bathroom by themselves?

If your going to respond to the thread, at least try to have a coherent point, okay?

Why bring it up, because that is what you are supporting, do try and keep up.

It's a shame when you have to look forward to a Donald Trump presidency in order to get some sane and substantial policy coming out of the Oval Office.

And don't get me wrong here, I'm not suggesting that Trump is some great statesman...

The President has such authority, you seem to forget that the President controls the government school system (Dept of Education), must drive you crazy(er).

The Department of Education does not write anti-discrimination law.

Given that the Department gives state and local districts incredible sums of dollars, it does so on the agreement that states will abide by its terms, both in cooperation with the law as well as in the spirit of the law.

Makes all the sense in the world.

Tax the ever loving **** out of people, and then hold their money hostage unless they do exactly what one Imperial President tells them to do.

:roll:

The revolution can't come soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom