• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama on Moms Who Stay Home to Raise Kids: 'That's Not a Choice We Want Americans to

mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
While I editorialized the title of this thread, here's what was said:

"Sometimes, someone, usually mom, leaves the workplace to stay home with the kids, which then leaves her earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result. And that’s not a choice we want Americans to make."

Obama on Moms Who Stay Home to Raise Kids: 'That's Not a Choice We Want Americans to Make' | The Weekly Standard

Now, what I would hope what he meant to say was something like "...that's not a choice we want Americans TO HAVE to make...", that's simply not what he actually said.

Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

Americans wouldn't have to make that choice if the government didn't cause Mom to have to be in the workplace...in the first place.

Thanks to almost a hundred years of liberals changing our society, Moms have no choice...they have to work. So what is the liberal solution?...more nanny state.

Obama...the sooner you and your ilk are gone, the better.

Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

"Sometimes, someone, usually mom, leaves the workplace to stay home with the kids, which then leaves her earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result. And that’s not a choice we want Americans to make."

Obama on Moms Who Stay Home to Raise Kids: 'That's Not a Choice We Want Americans to Make' | The Weekly Standard

Now, what I would hope what he meant to say was something like "...that's not a choice we want Americans TO HAVE to make...", that's simply not what he actually said.

Don't forget... It takes a village.

e074dba755a90b56a9b8e2046cbc0a5f.jpg

Staying at home was a choice I made. No regrets. My kids are wonderful.
However, I think his point was that my old age will be fairly impoverished. 10 years of no income does tend to put a downer on retirement plans.:doh

Personally I think someone that looks reality in the eye and recognizes that most families need two incomes these days and plans to do something about it to assist ??

It's still your choice.

Last edited:

mountain-molehill.gif

While I think you are right- Obama meant ...."to have to make", Obama, like many authoratarians has alot of trouble realizing that not every one shares his socio-political views. Thus, he can fail to make even a token acknoweldgement that these other views exist, at all.

But only if the village is progressive. After all, if it is not progressive, its is not a village :mrgreen:.

While I think you are right- Obama meant ...."to have to make", Obama, like many authoratarians has alot of trouble realizing that not every one shares his socio-political views. Thus, he can fail to make even a token acknoweldgement that these other views exist, at all.

But only if the village is progressive. After all, if it is not progressive, its is not a village :mrgreen:.

How Very True!

Exactly. We all know he doesn't actually mean what he says.

Exactly. We all know he doesn't actually mean what he says.

Actually, if your OP or your source was honest, it (or you) would have explained that he was talking about how the lack of pre-school programs causes mothers who want to work to have to stay home because there's no pre-school program to enroll the children in.

Actually, if your OP or your source was honest, it (or you) would have explained that he was talking about how the lack of pre-school programs causes mothers who want to work to have to stay home because there's no pre-school program to enroll the children in.

No, I explained that. He wants the state to raise children, not Moms.

I'm not sure exactly what Obama is shooting for here, but unless those kids are in an actual 8 hour daycare that he calls "pre-school", his program won't help Mom much.

But hey, it's a government solution, it'll cost taxpayers more money and it sounds good to the liberal idiots in his audience. Maybe it'll get some Democrat running for Congress a vote or two.

Mornin' Mac. :2wave: It goes with what his Weekly Address was about. Truly he just doesn't have a clue, as here the nation isn't thinking so much about this issue. Yet its his weekly address. Trying to give Demos any boost he can before Tuesday.

Listen to this BS.

No, I explained that. He wants the state to raise children, not Moms.

I'm sure you have a quote of him saying "I want the state to raise your children"

That assumes that the U.S. "private" workforce is suffering from a lack of workers and that everyone that wants to remain in (or enter) it can do so. It also assumes that those moms will trust the gov't to raise their children with as much love and care as they would.

It boils down to "if we only were to increase the size and scope of government then society would be better off". The problem is with that idea is that it requires (gov't funded and 'certified'?) "professional" nannies to be added (and paid for) which then subtracts workers from other private professions to create those (gov't?) nanny jobs".

It just results in "the village" being asked to pay more taxes to raise (other people's?) children - how is that better (or significantly different) than just calling the current stay at home moms "gov't funded child care givers" and paying them to do so?

I'm sure you have a quote of him saying "I want the state to raise your children"

He said he doesn't want American moms to do it, but instead to put them in state sponsored schools and get back to work.

Here are the full remarks. There is quite a long section on making things better for working moms and the choices women face. I won't quote it all, just some. But wow, the quote mentioned in the op is awfully selective and misleading since it didn't include the context.

Remarks by the President on Women and the Economy -- Providence, RI | The White House

But here’s the challenge -- that’s all good news -- the challenge is, our economy and some of the laws and rules governing our workplaces haven’t caught up with that reality. A lot of workplaces haven’t caught up with that reality. So while many women are working hard to support themselves and their families, they’re still facing unfair choices, outdated workplace policies. That holds them back, but it also holds all of us back. We have to do better, because women deserve better. And, by the way, when women do well, everybody does well. (Applause.)

So women deserve a day off to care for a sick child or sick parent without running into hardship. And Rhode Island has got the right idea. You’re one of just three states where paid family leave is the law of the land. (Applause.) More states should choose to follow your lead.

Moms and dads deserve a great place to drop their kids off every day that doesn’t cost them an arm and a leg. We need better childcare, daycare, early childhood education policies. (Applause.) In many states, sending your child to daycare costs more than sending them to a public university.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: True!

THE PRESIDENT: True. (Laughter.) And too often, parents have no choice but to put their kids in cheaper daycare that maybe doesn’t have the kinds of programming that makes a big difference in a child’s development. And sometimes there may just not be any slots, or the best programs may be too far away. And sometimes, someone, usually mom, leaves the workplace to stay home with the kids, which then leaves her earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result. And that’s not a choice we want Americans to make

So let’s make this happen. By the end of this decade, let’s enroll 6 million children in high-quality preschool, and let’s make sure that we are making America stronger. That is good for families; it’s also good for the children, because we know investing in high-quality early childhood education makes all the difference in the world, and those kids will do better. So we need family leave, we need better child care policies, and we need to make sure that women get an honest day’s pay for an honest day’s work. (Applause.)

About 28 million Americans would benefit if we raised the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour -- (applause) -- like Sheldon Whitehouse and Jack Reed support. And let me say this: Minimum wage -- those aren't just teenage jobs that are impacted. We're not just talking about young people. My first job was at Baskin Robbins. And I got paid the minimum wage and it was okay. Wearing that hat and the apron was -- (laughter) -- yeah.

But the truth is, the average worker who would benefit from an increase in the minimum wage is 35 years old -- 35. A majority of low-wage workers are women. A lot of them have kids. Right now, somebody working full-time on the minimum wage makes $14,500 a year -- $14,500. If they’re a parent, that means they’re below the poverty line. Nobody who works full-time in America should be below the poverty line. (Applause.) They should not be raising their kids below the poverty line. I am not going to give up this fight. And we need Republicans in Congress to stop blocking a minimum wage increase and give America a raise. (Applause.)

And by the way - women have always been in the workplace over the ages. Either working in the family business, or as servants, or cleaners, or telephone operators or whatever. Yes, some women have stayed home and raised children (which is still work), but in general - women have had to work outside the home. I imagine some of the same people who are against minimum wage and quality day care also complain about "moms on welfare staying at home with their kids" right after they complain about "women in the workplace neglecting their kids."

Anyway, this was a very good speech by President Obama. Thanks for alerting me to it, even if the op was so misleading. I so wanted to quote more of it!

Last edited:

Nonsense. There is no "free" program to allow lower wage households to see a net financial benefit from paying others to raise their children.

Yeah. No sense in making a big deal about a slight misstatement. That's ridiculous . . . Unless of course it's a Republican. Then it's all fair, right?

Americans wouldn't have to make that choice if the government didn't cause Mom to have to be in the workplace...in the first place.

Thanks to almost a hundred years of liberals changing our society, Moms have no choice...they have to work. So what is the liberal solution?...more nanny state.

Obama...the sooner you and your ilk are gone, the better.

The sooner gone the better. I agree with that. The ilk being progressives / liberals. Nothing but needless damage from these people.

Not sure if women in the workplace is really a liberal doing. Women have been in the workplace more and more ever since they manned the production lines during the WW II mobilization, and a good thing they did, I'm thinking. Once in the workplace, women should get 100% fair and even deal. No special considerations given, and none taken. Equal work for equal pay, something that's escaped even this administration.

View attachment 67175286

Yeah, as long as it's a liberal / progressive village, complete with Nanny state and liberal / progressive indoctrination as we've come to realize does in fact exist in the public school system.

Here are the full remarks. There is quite a long section on making things better for working moms and the choices women face. I won't quote it all, just some. But wow, the quote mentioned in the op is awfully selective and misleading since it didn't include the context.

Remarks by the President on Women and the Economy -- Providence, RI | The White House

And by the way - women have always been in the workplace over the ages. Either working in the family business, or as servants, or cleaners, or telephone operators or whatever. Yes, some women have stayed home and raised children (which is still work), but in general - women have had to work. I imagine some of the same people who are against minimum wage and quality day care also complain about "moms on welfare staying at home with their kids" right after they complain about "women in the workplace neglecting their kids."

Anyway, this was a very good speech by President Obama. Thanks for alerting me to it, even if the op was so misleading. I so wanted to quote more of it!

Sounds like he tossed everything...including the kitchen sink...against the wall in that speech.

shrug...

In any case, this thread is about a particular part of that speech. Let's keep it that way, eh?

That's just code for, "let the government raise your kids". That way the government can start the indoctrination process earlier.

Last edited:

Maybe he's making a commentary on how our society is inherently sexist as it is the expectation that the mother make such a sacrifice to stay home and raise the kids, while the father tends to be inexplicably immune from this expectation.

I think that there are plenty of ways to criticize the current administration without resorting to claims that the president wants the state to raise kids instead of their moms based on an out of context quote.

I'm not sure exactly what Obama is shooting for here, but unless those kids are in an actual 8 hour daycare that he calls "pre-school", his program won't help Mom much.

But hey, it's a government solution, it'll cost taxpayers more money and it sounds good to the liberal idiots in his audience. Maybe it'll get some Democrat running for Congress a vote or two.

That assumes that "mom" has a job that requires no commute time (or unpaid lunch time) so let's up that 8 hours to, a more reasonable, at least 10 hours (probably 12 hours for many).

Maybe he's making a commentary on how our society is inherently sexist as it is the expectation that the mother make such a sacrifice to stay home and raise the kids, while the father tends to be inexplicably immune from this expectation.

I love it when you talk sexist.

That assumes that "mom" has a job that requires no commute time (or unpaid lunch time) so let's up that 8 hours to, a more reasonable, at least 10 hours (probably 12 hours for many).

Yeah...it's been a long time since I dealt with daycare...I forgot.

I used to take my son to daycare on the way to work. I dropped him off at 6am and picked him up at 5:30pm. So 12 hours is more realistic.

Back
Top Bottom