• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama on Moms Who Stay Home to Raise Kids: 'That's Not a Choice We Want Americans to

Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

Sounds like he tossed everything...including the kitchen sink...against the wall in that speech.

shrug...

In any case, this thread is about a particular part of that speech. Let's keep it that way, eh?

Try reading the speech. It was about economics, and women in our economy.

The op so misportrayed the speech that I don't see how an honest discussion can be had if it is focused on just the two sentences presented in the op.

Re: Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do i

While I editorialized the title of this thread, here's what was said:

"Sometimes, someone, usually mom, leaves the workplace to stay home with the kids, which then leaves her earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result. And that’s not a choice we want Americans to make."

Obama on Moms Who Stay Home to Raise Kids: 'That's Not a Choice We Want Americans to Make' | The Weekly Standard

Now, what I would hope what he meant to say was something like "...that's not a choice we want Americans TO HAVE to make...", that's simply not what he actually said.

Yes, I agree.. What I find most surprising of that statement, though, is that he is admitting there is far more to the gender gap in wages than I've heard other liberal democrats ever want to acknowledge in the past. In the past, it was always evil employers just wanting to pay them less... Now he acknowledges that a lot of it could have to do with workplace experience/seniority.

The op so misportrayed the speech that I don't see how an honest discussion can be had if it is focused on just the two sentences presented in the op.

This thread is about a specific news article in the Breaking News forum. That means the focus of this thread is also very specific.

Sure, you can go ahead an derail this thread to any of the things Obama tossed out there in his speech. I just think you would be wrong to do so.

No, I explained that. He wants the state to raise children, not Moms.
You explained it and the video showed it.
It was pretty clear.
No surprises.
Start to get 'em when they're young ... this guy never left the only job he ever had ... Community Organizer.

This thread is about a specific news article in the Breaking News forum. That means the focus of this thread is also very specific.

Sure, you can go ahead an derail this thread to any of the things Obama tossed out there in his speech. I just think you would be wrong to do so.

And if you want to continue discussing a quote that is totally taken out of context, that is of course up to you; I just think you would be wrong to do so.

I'm not talking about discussing his entire speech (although it was wonderful) but to expand the discussion to include the parts around the quote so it would be discussed accurately.

but what I am I thinking? this is an internet forum. Accuracy.... isn't that valued.

It was the same old "war on women" and need to mandate a "living wage" nonsense that is always used to get (ignorant?) voters to believe in a free lunch. Not once did Obama mention how any of this "fairness" would be paid for (higher taxes and prices for goods/services?). Obama even mentioned his own first McJob, carefully leaving out the fact that he did not need to support a "family" with those earnings. The goal is to turn a McJob into a McCareer and to create a solid base of (permanently?) gov't dependent voters.

Yes, I agree.. What I find most surprising of that statement, though, is that he is admitting there is far more to the gender gap in wages than I've heard other liberal democrats ever want to acknowledge in the past. In the past, it was always evil employers just wanting to pay them less... Now he acknowledges that a lot of it could have to do with workplace experience/seniority.

It could be because of stories like this:

The White House has not narrowed the gap between the average pay of male and female employees since President Obama’s first year in office, according to a Washington Post analysis of new salary data.

While I editorialized the title of this thread, here's what was said:

Isn't that against breaking news rules?

"Sometimes, someone, usually mom, leaves the workplace to stay home with the kids, which then leaves her earning a lower wage for the rest of her life as a result. And that’s not a choice we want Americans to make."

Obama on Moms Who Stay Home to Raise Kids: 'That's Not a Choice We Want Americans to Make' | The Weekly Standard

I can see why you wanted to "editorialize" the headline. The actual headline is absolutely no fun at all if your intention is to cast Obama in a bad light.

Now, what I would hope what he meant to say was something like "...that's not a choice we want Americans TO HAVE to make...", that's simply not what he actually said.

If you were able to decipher that I'm confident most everyone else was able to wrap their heads around the concept.

For future people who join the discussion after a moderator inevitably changes the thread title to the correct headline, the original misleading title was "Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do it."

Last edited:

There's no question that Obama believes it'd be better to have the child spend less time in a family environment and more in the control of the community.
There's just no denying it.
He just couched it as a gender/pay issue for the impressionable behind and in front of him ... and apparently for some here.

There's no question that Obama believes it'd be better to have the child spend less time in a family environment and more in the control of the community.
There's just no denying it.
He just couched it as a gender/pay issue for the impressionable behind and in front of him ... and apparently for some here.

Well, like I said: "most" everyone.

Isn't that against breaking news rules?

I can see why you wanted to "editorialize" the headline. The actual headline is absolutely no fun at all if your intention is to cast Obama in a bad light.

If you were able to decipher that I'm confident most everyone else was able to wrap their heads around the concept.

For future people who join the discussion after a moderator inevitably changes the thread title to the correct headline, the original misleading title was "Obama doesn't want Moms staying home to raise their kids. Wants the state to do it."

I think it's pretty clear that what he says is not always what he means...like "If you like your healthcare, you can keep it." But it's pretty clear here....he wants state sponsored schools to raise pre-school aged children, not their moms. That's what he said. In context.

I think it's pretty clear that what he says is not always what he means...like "If you like your healthcare, you can keep it." But it's pretty clear here....he wants state sponsored schools to raise pre-school aged children, not their moms. That's what he said. In context.

I think you can appreciate the irony of claiming what he said after changing his words to something he didn't say.

I think you can appreciate the irony of claiming what he said after changing his words to something he didn't say.

He did say it. He said he didn't want American moms to stay home and raise kids. He said he wanted state runs schools expanded to include pre-school age children.

Yeah. No sense in making a big deal about a slight misstatement. That's ridiculous . . . Unless of course it's a Republican. Then it's all fair, right?

The sooner gone the better. I agree with that. The ilk being progressives / liberals. Nothing but needless damage from these people.

Not sure if women in the workplace is really a liberal doing. Women have been in the workplace more and more ever since they manned the production lines during the WW II mobilization, and a good thing they did, I'm thinking. Once in the workplace, women should get 100% fair and even deal. No special considerations given, and none taken. Equal work for equal pay, something that's escaped even this administration.

Yeah, as long as it's a liberal / progressive village, complete with Nanny state and liberal / progressive indoctrination as we've come to realize does in fact exist in the public school system.

Greetings, Erik. :2wave:

This crap is getting scary! What he said, or meant to say, is not the issue, IMO. The fact that some are even thinking along these lines is what bothers me. Is this another step in a path they want the populous to get used to, and eventually accept as normal? Total allegiance to the government who knows by some mysterious means what is best for everyone? Many will probably hail this as an advancement in human evolution where everyone becomes a flesh and blood robot, and Orwell will be proven right. Unfortunately, he meant it as a warning of what not to allow to happen! :afraid:

He did say it. He said he didn't want American moms to stay home and raise kids.

Quote him verbatim. Actual words.

Quote him verbatim. Actual words.

Did. It's in the op.

Did. It's in the op.

The words "I don't want American moms to stay home and raise kids" don't appear in the op.

Nearly everything you've said in this thread is a lie.

He did say it. He said he didn't want American moms to stay home and raise kids. He said he wanted state runs schools expanded to include pre-school age children.

So what, are you against public schools altogether? Public schools are part of what have made our country great. I don't see what is scary about them.

What he actually said:
By the end of this decade, let’s enroll 6 million children in high-quality preschool, and let’s make sure that we are making America stronger. That is good for families; it’s also good for the children, because we know investing in high-quality early childhood education makes all the difference in the world, and those kids will do better.

Nothing in there said the high-quality preschools had to be run by the state; and would anyone deny that high-quality preschool is a bad thing for those parents who need pre-schools for their kids?

He also said
And too often, parents have no choice but to put their kids in cheaper daycare that maybe doesn’t have the kinds of programming that makes a big difference in a child’s development. And sometimes there may just not be any slots, or the best programs may be too far away.

What is there to disagree with there?

Yes, he wants more quality pre-schools so that parents have choices. Wow, how is that a bad thing?

The words "I don't want American moms to stay home and raise kids" don't appear in the op.

Nearly everything you've said in this thread is a lie.

This is a lie. He said exactly that he didn't want American moms to choose to stay home with the kids. That's exactly what he said.

So what, are you against public schools altogether? Public schools are part of what have made our country great. I don't see what is scary about them.

What he actually said:

Nothing in there said the high-quality preschools had to be run by the state; and would anyone deny that high-quality preschool is a bad thing for those parents who need pre-schools for their kids?

He also said

Yes, he wants more quality pre-schools so that parents have choices. Wow, how is that a bad thing?

Most pre-schools are run by the state, ergo they are Orwellian re-education concentration camps.

This is a lie. He said exactly that he didn't want American moms to choose to stay home with the kids. That's exactly what he said.

Really? The words "I don't want American moms to stay home and raise kids" appear in your op?

What he actually said:

I didn't offer an opinion of public schools. What I said is Obama wants them in pre-schools, not at home with mom. Period. Do you really think he's offering to send people's kids to privately run pre-schools?

He also said

Choices other than staying home with their kids, apparently. He doesn't want women to make that choice.

Most pre-schools are run by the state, ergo they are Orwellian re-education concentration camps.

That seems to be what some people on this thread believe. Weird!

Really? The words "I don't want American moms to stay home and raise kids" appear in your op?

That is the actual quote. In the op. "And that’s not a choice we want Americans to make."

I didn't offer an opinion of public schools. What I said is Obama wants them in pre-schools, not at home with mom. Period. Do you really think he's offering to send people's kids to privately run pre-schools?

Choices other than staying home with their kids, apparently. He doesn't want women to make that choice.

Nonsense. You can't point to anything in the speech that says any of that. Well, I can't keep debating someone who makes things up.

Back
Top Bottom