• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama, MythBusters to Test 'Archimedes Death Ray' in Push to Promote Science

Whovian

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
LINK
The president is set to make a guest appearance next month on the Discovery Channel's "MythBusters," the show where a team of explosion-prone pyrophiles test urban legends. The Obama episode will focus on the so-called "Archimedes death ray."

Um... doesn't the President have better things to do?

Why? You would just cry if he did something else anyway.

If he did somethign I disagree with, I would certainly not have a problem discussing it. Unlike some Conservatives here, I am not 100% against all things Obama, so your smart comment is misplaced. Care to try again?

Yep.

If he isn't doing something that day... well by god the economy won't magically fix itself!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Ummm...don't the mythbusters have better things to do?

I mean seriously, I'm pretty sure they've done the Archimedes Death Ray before.

Twice, once with a bunch of college kids in a competition(one of whom became a "mythern".

Yes, I am a geek...

They should be testing if mentos+diet coke is superior to faygo for audience saturation at an ICP concert.

They have. It was busted.

They already did the Archimedes Death Ray, and it was busted. I guess their revisiting it, but if I remember correctly they didn't leave too much room for a revisiting.

What they need to do is get The Obama behind one of their miniguns.
Test to see if it makes Him want to commit some sort of violent crime.

They already did the Archimedes Death Ray, and it was busted. I guess their revisiting it, but if I remember correctly they didn't leave too much room for a revisiting.

Didn't they already revisit it, and destroy the possibility for it even more?

Man, there are so many cooler ways to promote science. A bunch of mirrors reflecting sunlight in a manner that can't even burn cardboard?

Mr. President, you have the US Air Force at your disposal. Grab that airborne laser test plane and fire an actual death ray.

Anyone else see the irony in Obama choosing the option that's already been tried (repeatedly), and shown to fail (repeatedly)? There seems to be a pattern here.

Obama said:
The White House picked the ray test "because it provided the greatest opportunity to get students involved in the most real way possible."

Sounds like the same reasoning he used in picking his economic advisors. :lol:

LINK

Actually, I think is right up Obama's ally. If he's spending time enjoying the perks of being the prez, then that's less time he has to spend creating policies that are damaging and counter-productive to the country.

I mean, you can't blame him for having as much fun as he can. He know's he's not going to get elected to a second term, so he has to make the best of this one.

Anyone else see the irony in Obama choosing the option that's already been tried (repeatedly), and shown to fail (repeatedly)? There seems to be a pattern here.

Sounds like the same reasoning he used in picking his economic advisors. :lol:

Double thanks on that one, Taylor!!

Actually, I think is right up Obama's ally. If he's spending time enjoying the perks of being the prez, then that's less time he has to spend creating policies that are damaging and counter-productive to the country.

I mean, you can't blame him for having as much fun as he can. He know's he's not going to get elected to a second term, so he has to make the best of this one.

Aren't you the guy who called it a national tragedy that Obama didn't attend the National Boy Scout Jamboree, an 8 day event, but its terrible to make a cameo on a 45 minute episode of Mythbusters?

I really see how anyone, without being a hypocrite, can talk about this being a waste of time with the large degree of energy and passion they are using without blasting the same level of energy at every other President.

I was pretty darn sure they did this one before too.

Aren't you the guy who called it a national tragedy that Obama didn't attend the National Boy Scout Jamboree, an 8 day event, but its terrible to make a cameo on a 45 minute episode of Mythbusters?

I really see how anyone, without being a hypocrite, can talk about this being a waste of time with the large degree of energy and passion they are using without blasting the same level of energy at every other President.

Did you actually read what I said? Seriously, did you??

While we're at it, I don't reacall saying anything about Obama spending 8 days at a Boy Scout camp. Although, I think the country would have benefitted from his absence.

C9ttC.png

I think it's kind of silly for him to be going on Mythbusters. But He's the president he can do what he wants I guess. My only problem is that I'm afraid that episode of Mythbusters is going to be kind of lame and pointless since Death Ray has been done to death. I mean the closest I've seen to a death ray is that there is a hotel in Vegas that is basically a giant parabolic dish and it makes the swimming pool area 10-20 degrees warmer (So it can reach temps of like 110-120, but that's highly uncomfortable temperatures, not death ray temperatures) So I feel it will be a worthless episode, and the President will just be there to make talking points. Waste of an episode.

I'm sure he expected Obama to spend 8 days camping with the scouts :doh

There was certainly no need for Obama to stay for 8 days... a 30 minute appearance would have been appropriate.

Apparently, the President was too busy appearing on The View to address the Scouts... as MANY other Presidents have historically done at the Jamboree (the three presidents before Obama all had made appearances). It was also the 100th anniversary.

Did you know President Obama was made the honorary President of the Boy Scouts of America in March of 2009?

I'm sure he expected Obama to spend 8 days camping with the scouts :doh

There was certainly no need for Obama to stay for 8 days... a 30 minute appearance would have been appropriate.

Apparently, the President was too busy appearing on The View to address the Scouts... as MANY other Presidents have historically done at the Jamboree (the three presidents before Obama all had made appearances). It was also the 100th anniversary.

Did you know President Obama was made the honorary President of the Boy Scouts of America in March of 2009?

None of that addresses why it should be considered to be an issue or why people should care.

Back
Top Bottom