• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Mocked Commissions, Then Established Four

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
President Obama's National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform is meeting today as part of its efforts to craft recommendations by December on how best to address America's red-ink problem.

Mr. Obama established the commission in February, saying debt and deficits can "hobble our economy" and "saddle every child in America with an intolerable burden."

Yet the president's decision to establish a commission to address a problem he described as potentially catastrophic seems odd in light of his earlier criticism of commissions in general. As Ari Shapiro noted on National Public Radio today, the president mocked the notion of commissions to address problems back when he was a candidate.

Here's Mr. Obama on September 18, 2008, not long after the economic collapse: "Senator McCain's first answer to this economic crisis was - get ready for it - a commission. That's Washington-speak for 'we'll get back to you later.'"

"Folks, we don't need a commission to spend a few years and a lot of taxpayer money to tell us what's going on in our economy," he continued. "We don't need a commission to tell us gas prices are high or that you can't pay your bills. We don't need a commission to tell us you're losing your jobs. We don't need a commission to study this crisis, we need a President who will solve it - and that's the kind of President I intend to be."
Obama Mocked Commissions, Then Established Four - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

I hear he established this position on Commissions from a Commission.

They guy has no idea what he's doing - it's that simple. If you view it in that light, it all makes sense. You've just identified what Obama does... he spends trillions then says we have to be fiscally responsible and it's that double speak and hypocrisy of statements he does oh so well. The best part of it has been - no one's bothered to call him on it. I'm glad that CBS has finally found one of the many instances and decided to report it.

Link
Obama Mocked Commissions, Then Established Four - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Quote(President Obama's National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform is meeting today as part of its efforts to craft recommendations by December on how best to address America's red-ink problem.

Mr. Obama established the commission in February, saying debt and deficits can "hobble our economy" and "saddle every child in America with an intolerable burden.")

At long last President Obama is apparently listening to someone who tells him USA cannot continue borrowing indefinitely.
I know someone with some clout is telling him this, because up to now he has merely consulted his 'Manifesto' tomes which tell him what to do.

Quote(Yet the president's decision to establish a commission to address a problem he described as potentially catastrophic seems odd in light of his earlier criticism of commissions in general. As Ari Shapiro noted on National Public Radio today, the president mocked the notion of commissions to address problems back when he was a candidate. )

Everything that Obama is doing since becoming President seems not only odd, but also seems to be the exact opposite of that which he mocked during his campaign.

Quote(Here's Mr. Obama on September 18, 2008, not long after the economic collapse: "Senator McCain's first answer to this economic crisis was - get ready for it - a commission. That's Washington-speak for 'we'll get back to you later.'"

"Folks, we don't need a commission to spend a few years and a lot of taxpayer money to tell us what's going on in our economy," he continued. "We don't need a commission to tell us gas prices are high or that you can't pay your bills. We don't need a commission to tell us you're losing your jobs. We don't need a commission to study this crisis, we need a President who will solve it - and that's the kind of President I intend to be."

Yeah right!

Kind of different when a few European Nations are backing away from the dumb assed idea that you can spend your way out of trouble when a blind man can see that's where the problems came from.

As to Obama saying one thing and doing another, I see nothing new here. It's his way of operating from the start. He has to be one of the most worthless idiots ever to hold any office, and boys and girls that's saying something.

Wow - the OP and one reply = definative answer. I'm starting to think even the Democrats cannot keep up with the duplicative Obama idiocy.

Wonder what the Vegas odds are of Obama being a 1 term guy. <goes off checking>

Honestly, who cares? He was trash talking during a campaign.

Wow - the OP and one reply = definative answer. I'm starting to think even the Democrats cannot keep up with the duplicative Obama idiocy.

None of these guys are perfect, most are far from it. Republicans, democrats, they all do it. There are many things I don't like Obama, there are some things I do. Are people really supposed to run around apologizing for every comment the guy ever made? People are fallible.

The WH carpenter has been damn busy during the past 18-months.
Pretty soon Obi's coffin will be all nails.

None of these guys are perfect, most are far from it. Republicans, democrats, they all do it. There are many things I don't like Obama, there are some things I do. Are people really supposed to run around apologizing for every comment the guy ever made? People are fallible.

So what you're saying is, that what a politicians says he will do, and stands for really doesn[t matter. Got it.

Moderator's Warning:
Threads merged.

So what you're saying is, that what a politicians says he will do, and stands for really doesn[t matter. Got it.

What they actually do, is what matters. Hen pecking every single thing they have ever said...who cares. It was lame when dems did it to GWB and its lame now too. I mean really, did you really think that being "anti- commision" is what Obama stood for? Really? I don't think that has ever even crossed my mind when thinking about Obama stands for.

Politicians make campaign promises to get elected. If they actually follow through with these promises, this is often accidental.

I like your answer better than mine. :)

No problem. Politicians will say anything to get elected and stay in power. We have Republicans bashing Obama on the Jones Act despite the Jones Act containing a section which explicitly permits foreign ships to help during a oil spill to bypass the law. The section effectively makes the JA not applicable to the BP incident. And we have Democrats all kinds of crazy **** blaming Cheney and Bush.

The only thing scummier then a lawyer is a politician.

No problem. Politicians will say anything to get elected and stay in power. We have Republicans bashing Obama on the Jones Act despite the Jones Act containing a section which explicitly permits foreign ships to help during a oil spill to bypass the law. The section effectively makes the JA not applicable to the BP incident. And we have Democrats all kinds of crazy **** blaming Cheney and Bush.

The only thing scummier then a lawyer is a politician.

And since a lot of politicians are lawyers, that makes them scum squared.

Politicians make campaign promises to get elected. If they actually follow through with these promises, this is often accidental.
Therefore, we cannot believe things that are said. So why allow Presidential campaigns at all and why is public money used to pay for candidate to go on television and write statements for the media which are LIES? Let's do away with the campaigns - save the money, and make a comparison based solely on what they've DONE and not what they say?

No. That if you believe the campaign promises of a politician, you're a fool.

So we should just accept their lies and pay it no mind because, after all, they're politicians.

So then what's the point? Why do we even bother with this message board, or enter a voting booth?

Therefore, we cannot believe things that are said. So why allow Presidential campaigns at all and why is public money used to pay for candidate to go on television and write statements for the media which are LIES? Let's do away with the campaigns - save the money, and make a comparison based solely on what they've DONE and not what they say?

I can't say that I completely disagree with you, here. Only problem is that it would put the research in the hands of the voting public... a notoriously lazy group. I would prefer to see elected officials get jobs based on a public resume. When any of us "normal" folk apply for a job, we submit a resume, indicating what we have done and why we think we are qualified. I'd like to see something that simple, considering these people are supposed to be working for us.

I can't say that I completely disagree with you, here. Only problem is that it would put the research in the hands of the voting public... a notoriously lazy group. I would prefer to see elected officials get jobs based on a public resume. When any of us "normal" folk apply for a job, we submit a resume, indicating what we have done and why we think we are qualified. I'd like to see something that simple, considering these people are supposed to be working for us.

Blame the voters.

No. That if you believe the campaign promises of a politician, you're a fool.

Indeed.

It seems that its politics as usual.

It seems its not Hope.

It seems its not a change from partisan politics.

It seems its just another politician who promises a bunch, uses a lot of rhetoric, and all of it is completely empty and hollow.

Problem is a great deal of this particular candidates campaign was based singularly upon rhetoric and little of anything else.

I absolutely agree. Those that actually believed what a Politician said are rather foolish.

It will be easy to pick those people out in 2 years. They'll be wearing the big "O" hats and shirts and having bumper stickers with whatever the new propoganda slogan Obama and his people plan out.

Indeed.

It seems that its politics as usual.

It seems its not Hope.

It seems its not a change from partisan politics.

It seems its just another politician who promises a bunch, uses a lot of rhetoric, and all of it is completely empty and hollow.

Problem is a great deal of this particular candidates campaign was based singularly upon rhetoric and little of anything else.

I absolutely agree. Those that actually believed what a Politician said are rather foolish.

It will be easy to pick those people out in 2 years. They'll be wearing the big "O" hats and shirts and having bumper stickers with whatever the new propoganda slogan Obama and his people plan out.

Or they will be doing the exact same thing for whoever is running against him.

Be honest here CC.

What did you hear more in 2008?

"Hope and Change"

or

"Maverick"

And tell me which side bit more and harder onto the rhetoric and empty propoganda points

So we should just accept their lies and pay it no mind because, after all, they're politicians.

Looks like you're starting to get it.

So then what's the point? Why do we even bother with this message board, or enter a voting booth?

The message board depends on what you get out of it. I can't say why others bother. As for the voting booth, mathematically, virtually all votes do not count beyond the amount in a certain equation.

Be honest here CC.

What did you hear more in 2008?

"Hope and Change"

or

"Maverick"

And tell me which side bit more and harder onto the rhetoric and empty propoganda points

I think the ant-Obama attacks were about as equally empty and rhetoric-like.

I think the ant-Obama attacks were about as equally empty and rhetoric-like.

Sadly, for America, and for you, the Anti-Obama attacks are proving they were far more on the mark then the rhetoric of the Obama Campaign.

Back
Top Bottom