• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama masked rodeo clown

Montecresto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
So. During the H.W.Bush admin. A rodeo clown dummy wore a mask of the president and the dummy was attacked and knocked down. During the George Bush admin. We saw him hung in effigy, portrayed with cross hairs on his head, with a hitler moustache etc. and no problems. But in this incident, the NAACP has called for the secret service to investigate, the event radio announcer has resigned, the clown was fired and barred FOR LIFE from working there again and the rodeo venue has been notified that they will no longer work the state unless all their clowns undergo sensitivity training!?!?!

So. During the H.W.Bush admin. A rodeo clown dummy wore a mask of the president and the dummy was attacked and knocked down. During the George Bush admin. We saw him hung in effigy, portrayed with cross hairs on his head, with a hitler moustache etc. and no problems. But in this incident, the NAACP has called for the secret service to investigate, the event radio announcer has resigned, the clown was fired and barred FOR LIFE from working there again and the rodeo venue has been notified that they will no longer work the state unless all their clowns undergo sensitivity training!?!?!

Well, I guess at a minimum you could say that the Democrats are certainly more capable of getting things done.

Should I interpret that as an endorsement of the response?

According to the local radio station, this same rodeo clown performed similar stunts with Bush I masks, and Bush II masks, along with straw dummies of the two presidents.

All I can find out on line is that someone once made a straw dummy of Bush I and let a bull tear it to pieces.

Anyway, what happened to this guy's freedom of expression? Since when are we so sensitive to disrespect of the president?

According to the local radio station, this same rodeo clown performed similar stunts with Bush I masks, and Bush II masks, along with straw dummies of the two presidents.

All I can find out on line is that someone once made a straw dummy of Bush I and let a bull tear it to pieces.

Anyway, what happened to this guy's freedom of expression? Since when are we so sensitive to disrespect of the president?

absolutely reeks of a double standard
but when did the republicans start objecting to 'at will' and the (misnomer) 'right to work' employment standards?

now, if the fellow belonged to a union, there would be no termination of employment to be discussed
solidarity now, you clowns

Well sure, that's exactly the point. Freedom of speech means freedom to be stupid also. Not at all a fan of George Bush, would have defended impeachment hearings, but was offended by pictures of him with blood dripping off his face and cross hairs on his head. Still, I would defend to the end someone's right to expression. A true democracy can be a dirty place. But then very neat and tidy places where everyone holds their order in strictness like North Korea, aren't very fun places.

Masks of Nixon thru Obama can presently be purchased at the Halloween and costume stores. If its going to become a crime to wear them, then I suppose it will become a crime to sell them, make them.

According to the local radio station, this same rodeo clown performed similar stunts with Bush I masks, and Bush II masks, along with straw dummies of the two presidents. All I can find out on line is that someone once made a straw dummy of Bush I and let a bull tear it to pieces. Anyway, what happened to this guy's freedom of expression? Since when are we so sensitive to disrespect of the president?

I can't find that local radio station report, did find a Kansas city report citing a friend of the clown claiming he does this sort of thing a lot, but no independent source or tape. Did find where the Cowboy's Association has condemned it along with several Republican politicians. Did see a report claiming the clown was mic'd up so it wasn't the announcer talking the trash, and apparently another clown played with the mask's lips during the taunting.

I don't think the clown's freedom of expression was messed with, just his ability to earn a paycheck while mocking a sitting President at a State Fair, he can do his bit on most street corners if he wants.

I can't find that local radio station report, did find a Kansas city report citing a friend of the clown claiming he does this sort of thing a lot, but no independent source or tape. Did find where the Cowboy's Association has condemned it along with several Republican politicians. Did see a report claiming the clown was mic'd up so it wasn't the announcer talking the trash, and apparently another clown played with the mask's lips during the taunting.

I don't think the clown's freedom of expression was messed with, just his ability to earn a paycheck while mocking a sitting President at a State Fair, he can do his bit on most street corners if he wants.

Mocking a sitting president is as old as.....well, sitting presidents! The difference is that this ones black. AS previously stated the NAACP was silent during the public mocking of other presidents.

Mocking a sitting president is as old as.....well, sitting presidents! The difference is that this ones black. AS previously stated the NAACP was silent during the public mocking of other presidents.

And apparently so to were the Cons- since when is it the NAACP's job to speak for the majority? That whine is getting old.

Venue is everything, a State Fair vs a street protest...

THAT is the difference even the Cowboy Association understands, even if a lot of interweb Cons don't.

Venue is everything, a State Fair vs a street protest...

THAT is the difference even the Cowboy Association understands, even if a lot of interweb Cons don't.

Yep......

I am not a fan of the POTUS, but this is the same a military man protesting in uniform... The appearance is that the Military Branch endorses the personal message. This sent the message that the State of Missouri endorsed the protest.

That doesn't speak to the fact that when similar mockings of other presidents go unpunished and un sanctioned as they should, no one cares.

Yep......

I am not a fan of the POTUS, but this is the same a military man protesting in uniform... The appearance is that the Military Branch endorses the personal message. This sent the message that the State of Missouri endorsed the protest.

No. It was for the fans to cheer or jeer, as they did when similar mockings were performed publicly of other presidents.

It was wrong then to... IMHO. The fact that it is only now being brought up is sad, and I understand your distaste for the double standard......... But, two wrongs and all that jazz...

It was wrong then to... IMHO. The fact that it is only now being brought up is sad, and I understand your distaste for the double standard......... But, two wrongs and all that jazz...

Well I respect your consistency Chief. But would argue that what I think is wrong, someone else thinks is right and vice versa. The functioning democracy is a messy place but cleaning it up stifles liberty. So, if when you say wrong, you mean distasteful, then we agree. But if when you say wrong you mean should be illegal and muzzled, then of course we disagree.

Well I respect your consistency Chief. But would argue that what I think is wrong, someone else thinks is right and vice versa. The functioning democracy is a messy place but cleaning it up stifles liberty. So, if when you say wrong, you mean distasteful, then we agree. But if when you say wrong you mean should be illegal and muzzled, then of course we disagree.

I am more of the mind of distastful. But, I can see it from the side of the State. An employee of a State sponsored event, made a statement that could easily be construed as a representative view of said State. This is the same reason that editorials are accompanied by the disclaimer that the "views are not neccessarily those of the management". The State was fully within their rights to reprimand said employee. Just like I would be held accountable for attending a Tea Party rally in my uniform.

I use that example because I once had to reprimand one of my Sailors for attending a Tea Party event (street corner holding signs) in his uniform. He was free to do it , all day long, in his civilian attire, but when his picture was on the front page of the Pensacola News Journal in uniform, it made for a very long day for me .... and subsequently, him too.

Presidents have been mocked by rodeo clowns in the same fashion in state fairs past and nothing happened. Everyone knows why this one is different. Obama should man up and tell everybody, chill out guys, it was harmless fun.

Presidents have been mocked by rodeo clowns in the same fashion in state fairs past and nothing happened. Everyone knows why this one is different. Obama should man up and tell everybody, chill out guys, it was harmless fun.

yea, like he has nothing better to concern himself with as president other than to quell the fabricated issue of the firing of a rodeo clown

anyone who believes that assignment should appear on his presidential calendar qualifies to backfill the vacant position

Sure bubba, think about the other more trivial things he's injected himself into!!

Back
Top Bottom