• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama loses drilling moratorium appeal

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link

Quote(The Obama administration lost its court bid to maintain a six-month moratorium on offshore deepwater drilling which a federal judge ordered lifted last month.

The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals denied the government's emergency request to stay that judge's order pending appeal.

The motion was denied because the government failed to show "a likelihood of irreparable injury if the stay is not granted," the appeals panel judges wrote in a 2-1 ruling.

The government also "made no showing that there is any likelihood that drilling activities will be resumed pending appeal."

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has said he will soon issue a new order to block deepwater drilling regardless of how the court ruled and oil companies have not resumed drilling due to the legal uncertainties.)

Wonder if the wording of the new order will prevent another challenge?

Quote(President Barack Obama acknowledged the moratorium would cause economic harm, but said it was necessary to give investigators adequate time to understand what caused the accident and create new safety regulations.)

Just how much time does this person need to make decisions, Obama seems to always take an inordinate length of time to decide issues that are important to the economic or defense of America, yet makes what for him are almost snap decisions for those idea's he seeks to thrust onto America.

Does Obama even understand, or respect, the law?

Link

Quote(The Obama administration lost its court bid to maintain a six-month moratorium on offshore deepwater drilling which a federal judge ordered lifted last month.

The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals denied the government's emergency request to stay that judge's order pending appeal.

The motion was denied because the government failed to show "a likelihood of irreparable injury if the stay is not granted," the appeals panel judges wrote in a 2-1 ruling.

The government also "made no showing that there is any likelihood that drilling activities will be resumed pending appeal."

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has said he will soon issue a new order to block deepwater drilling regardless of how the court ruled and oil companies have not resumed drilling due to the legal uncertainties.)

Wonder if the wording of the new order will prevent another challenge?

Quote(President Barack Obama acknowledged the moratorium would cause economic harm, but said it was necessary to give investigators adequate time to understand what caused the accident and create new safety regulations.)

Just how much time does this person need to make decisions, Obama seems to always take an inordinate length of time to decide issues that are important to the economic or defense of America, yet makes what for him are almost snap decisions for those idea's he seeks to thrust onto America.

i think the moratorium is a great idea, and the judge sucks.

i think the moratorium is a great idea, and the judge sucks.

So now both district federal judges and the 5th circuit court of appeals "suck" becauase you disagree with their ruling? They would not have ruled in such a manner if the Obama Administration had established a moratorium within the confines of the law.

Ultimately, oil companies are not going to restart drilling operations because another moratorium will just be issued, and it is costly and dangerous to keep restarting and shutting down rigs. The White House is going to successfully halt drilling for the 6 months they want, it just won't be because of the moratorium, it will be because of the uncertainty caused by the legal battles.

All the while, thousands in Louisiana will sit out of work because of it.

Gosh. I'd feel really sorry for them, too, if they hadn't ****ed up our lives along with their own. I hear BP is hiring cleanup workers in Florida, btw. You can let them know that they can drive over and maybe get hired cleaning up the mess they made.

Gosh. I'd feel really sorry for them, too, if they hadn't ****ed up our lives along with their own. I hear BP is hiring cleanup workers in Florida, btw. You can let them know that they can drive over and maybe get hired cleaning up the mess they made.

How did an oil rig service worker that works for a company independent of BP "**** up our lives along with their own"? How did rig workers on say a Chevron rig that is now shut down "**** up our lives along with their own"?

You are ignoring reality if you think those out of work by this moratorium are only connected to the BP rig.

So now both district federal judges and the 5th circuit court of appeals "suck" becauase you disagree with their ruling? They would not have ruled in such a manner if the Obama Administration had established a moratorium within the confines of the law.

Ultimately, oil companies are not going to restart drilling operations because another moratorium will just be issued, and it is costly and dangerous to keep restarting and shutting down rigs. The White House is going to successfully halt drilling for the 6 months they want, it just won't be because of the moratorium, it will be because of the uncertainty caused by the legal battles.

and you would rather carry on, business as usual, when it can't be denied that NO oil company has any freaking way to deal with a disaster like the present one?
great idea.

and you would rather carry on, business as usual, when it can't be denied that NO oil company has any freaking way to deal with a disaster like the present one?
great idea.

Business as usual has shown that disasters of this scope are not the norm... I am not for enacting a moratorium to study the "safety" impact and ignore the fact that the Department of the Interior (part of the Executive Branch) has already reinspected every one of those deepwater rigs that are shut down and gave them all very good safety ratings.

I find it idiotic when the head of the department that says the rigs passed safety inspections (all after the BP explosion) wants to keep them shut down citing safety concerns.

You don't ground every airplane around because one crashes.

Last edited:
How did an oil rig service worker that works for a company independent of BP "**** up our lives along with their own"? How did rig workers on say a Chevron rig that is now shut down "**** up our lives along with their own"?

You are ignoring reality if you think those out of work by this moratorium are only connected to the BP rig.

The entire industry is dirty, unsustainable, and has caused irreparable damage to my state. So, the fact that some oil rig workers are kicking their heels because we've stopped drilling isn't causing me not to sleep at night. You know what? I'm not particularly sorry they're unemployed. I wish Louisiana had NEVER allowed drilling along its coast. I bet a lot of local fishermen feel the same damn way.

Perhaps a moratorium would be a good idea for all involved to review policies and procedures as a mean to prevent this sort of thing from occuring again would be a good idea.

6 months of waiting vs another potential blowout

The entire industry is dirty, unsustainable, and has caused irreparable damage to my state. So, the fact that some oil rig workers are kicking their heels because we've stopped drilling isn't causing me not to sleep at night. You know what? I'm not particularly sorry they're unemployed. I wish Louisiana had NEVER allowed drilling along its coast. I bet a lot of local fishermen feel the same damn way.

What state is that? I live in Louisiana, I would say "my state" has taken a large hit as well. That "dirty" industry you cite most likely has pumped billions into your states economy and created jobs for thousands.

I fail to see how you can make the argument that causing higher unemployment levels is somehow a good thing.

Perhaps a moratorium would be a good idea for all involved to review policies and procedures as a mean to prevent this sort of thing from occuring again would be a good idea.

As two courts have ruled now, the government has failed to show a legal argument for this. Furthermore, the DOI has already reinspected every one of the platforms effected by the moratorium, and cleared them all in terms of safety already. What else do you want? For them to do it again?

6 months of waiting vs another potential blowout

The potential for another blowout does not go away after 6 months. These type disasters, while certainly tragic, are not the norm, and typically blowouts do not result in this scenario.

What state is that? I live in Louisiana, I would say "my state" has taken a large hit as well. That "dirty" industry you cite most likely has pumped billions into your states economy and created jobs for thousands.

I fail to see how you can make the argument that causing higher unemployment levels is somehow a good thing.

That dirty industry you mention hasn't pumped billions into my state's economy. I live in Florida. But, you are going to cost us billions.

Let me make a suggestion to your oil workers...Jobs shift, and so does the economy. Maybe they should consider a new line of work. I have zero sympathy for the oil industry and its workers in Louisiana. ZERO.

As two courts have ruled now, the government has failed to show a legal argument for this. Furthermore, the DOI has already reinspected every one of the platforms effected by the moratorium, and cleared them all in terms of safety already. What else do you want? For them to do it again?

The potential for another blowout does not go away after 6 months. These type disasters, while certainly tragic, are not the norm, and typically blowouts do not result in this scenario.

i can't seem to find any evidence that every rig has been reinspected.

Of course the risk woud still be there. But after a ful review and analysis of what caused the blow out better practices and policies could be enacted by both the government and industry to reduce the chances of it occuring again. Continueing without such a review will mean the chances are most likely going to be higher of a blowout rather then lower

That dirty industry you mention hasn't pumped billions into my state's economy. I live in Florida. But, you are going to cost us billions.

Let me make a suggestion to your oil workers...Jobs shift, and so does the economy. Maybe they should consider a new line of work. I have zero sympathy for the oil industry and its workers in Louisiana. ZERO.
Everyone makes money from or using oil products Catz. If you ride the bus or pedal a bicycle you are using oil products. Even as you rip on oil over the internet you are doing so on a computer made from petroleum byproducts. Everyone makes money using petroleum or it's byproducts.

Who exactly is "you"? Additionally, you seem to ignore the onshore drilling in Florida that has taken place for more than 70 years, and pumped billions into "your state's" economy.

Jobs do shift, and so do economies. Am I to believe that you now thing oil has no place in the economy? Perhaps those oil workers who were in no way involved in the BP spill have no sympathy for "your state's problems."

i can't seem to find any evidence that every rig has been reinspected.

Department of the Interior Press Release on the issue.

If you scroll down with in it, you will see this:
-Ordered immediate inspections of all deepwater operations in the Gulf of Mexico. The inspections of deepwater drilling rigs found Incidents of Non-Compliance (INC) on two rigs. Those violations were corrected and no other violations were found. To view the inspection report, click here. Inspections of deepwater production platforms is ongoing.

There will be a link to view the inspection report by clicking on that.

Last edited:
Who exactly is "you"? Additionally, you seem to ignore the onshore drilling in Florida that has taken place for more than 70 years, and pumped billions into "your state's" economy.

Proof?

Jobs do shift, and so do economies. Am I to believe that you now thing oil has no place in the economy? Perhaps those oil workers who were in no way involved in the BP spill have no sympathy for "your state's problems."

Don't really care if they have sympathy for us. You made a plaintive bleat here that we consider their suffering. Don't think I haven't. I've also considered the impact of their industry on me and mine. That diminished my sympathy for them.

Everyone makes money from or using oil products Catz. If you ride the bus or pedal a bicycle you are using oil products. Even as you rip on oil over the internet you are doing so on a computer made from petroleum byproducts. Everyone makes money using petroleum or it's byproducts.

And we need to find alternatives...my vote would go for taxing the **** out of petroleum drilling and manufacturing in order to fund the development of a sustainable way of life that will not require us to poison our land and water.

Of course the risk woud still be there. But after a ful review and analysis of what caused the blow out better practices and policies could be enacted by both the government and industry to reduce the chances of it occuring again. Continueing without such a review will mean the chances are most likely going to be higher of a blowout rather then lower

And has been ordered by the court, the government failed to make any case as to why it would be necessary to shut down other rigs that have already been reinspected to come up with new safety procedures.

You can have the review, that is fine with me, but shutting down exploratory wells in the interium that have nothing to do with the BP spill is not needed, nor is it a wise move.

From your own Palm Beach Post:

The folks in Jay are sitting on top of one of the state's most oil-rich areas, a place where not that long ago tens of millions of barrels a year flowed out of the ground and where more than a dozen active wells are still producing within the town's 1.5 square miles.

"It was like Christmas time once a month," Linda Carden, Jay's city clerk for 34 years, said of the late '70s boom years when local landowners received as much as $100,000 a month in royalties from the wells on their land.

"There was so much money being made that it was kind of a joke that people that owned cemetery plots were getting paid" lucrative royalties for their 5-by-7 foot grave sites, retired oil worker Fred Sasser recalled.

Don't really care if they have sympathy for us. You made a plaintive bleat here that we consider their suffering. Don't think I haven't. I've also considered the impact of their industry on me and mine. That diminished my sympathy for them.

Well, perhaps then you care to uphold the law? Two courts have now struck down the moratorium, and yet the Obama Administration does not seem to care.

Good. I hope you carry on with the same bravado and posturing next time you are standing at the gas pump. Remember, now, it was that damned, dirty Louisianna oil rig worker that just made you run out that tank of gas and then turn around and pay the company that employed him for another one.

Do you get light headed from the lack of oxygen way up there on your pedastal?

And we need to find alternatives...my vote would go for taxing the **** out of petroleum drilling and manufacturing in order to fund the development of a sustainable way of life that will not require us to poison our land and water.

What level are you wanting to tax this at? If we levied all these new taxes on oil and drove the price up, the immediate impact on our economy would be devastating.

Back
Top Bottom