• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Lobbies for Syrian Vote......

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
After putting a decision to launch military strikes on Syria into the hands of Congress, President Barack Obama is doing what his critics have long accused him of failing to do: reaching out, personally and aggressively, to lawmakers on Capitol Hill.

While top lieutenants including Vice President Joe Biden and Secretary of State John Kerry lobby their former congressional colleagues, Obama is making individual calls himself to members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives to press his case for action.

What Obama has not done since he made his announcement on Saturday is appeal to the public, which both Democrats and Republicans say will be crucial as polls show little enthusiasm for U.S. military action anywhere.

The stakes for the president are high - and the arguments being made in support of a 'yes' vote from Congress are making them even higher.

On Monday National Security adviser Susan Rice, Kerry, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and the top U.S. military officer, Martin Dempsey, held an unclassified briefing call for Democratic House members, and Obama met with McCain and fellow Republican Senator Lindsey Graham.

On Tuesday Obama will meet with the chairs of key national security committees in Congress and Kerry, Dempsey, and Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel will testify to the Senate foreign relations committee.

"In all calls and briefings, we will be making the same fundamental case: The failure to take action against Assad unravels the deterrent impact of the international norm against chemical weapons use," a senior administration official said.

The aide said the Democratic chairmen of relevant Senate committees were consulting with the highest-ranking Republicans on those panels to try to work out language that could pass the Senate next week.....snip~

Analysis: Obama lobbies personally for Syria vote

According to what I am hearing Obama overruled his own team in taking this to Congress. He clearly stated he know he does not have to do this. But he thinks it will make the country stronger. Even with lobbying he knows most of the people in this country don't want any involvement in Syria. As we already have him admitting he watches the polls. So why is he just looking to come up with arguments for intervention. Because this another sideshow to make use of.

Note they are only coming up with arguments as to why we should go an Attack Assad. Not why we shouldn't. Which these are the arguments they will give to the House. Already he has Johnny Quest McCain and Lindsey Graham, plus Peter King R/Rep out of NY in his corner. Plus he picked up a few more from the committees he needs to.

So all of this is a formality.....as he can't really leave the French hanging out in the wind all by their lonesome selves. Thoughts Upon the matter.

I made the comment on this fourm I think several days before he did this how brilliant I thought it would be for him to dump it in the Congress' lap. You think Obama reads this forum?

I made the comment on this fourm I think several days before he did this how brilliant I thought it would be for him to dump it in the Congress' lap. You think Obama reads this forum?

Well its not such a brilliant move Mak Mornin Btw :2wave: .....with the rest of the Planet saying he has pulled back. All this crap by McCain about the credibility of the US and the President is garbage. It's already a done deal. As its not just Russian and Assad with Iran popping off at the mouths. Its the rest of the World and the media. Moreover what does he look like if congress says no?

Then goes and attacks anyways. Already they are picking up that bit about Regime change and strategic hits to assist the Rebels. He has sequestration going on and now he wants to spend more money for this adventure?

At least he has some opposition with the House and with his Own people too. Also what good is it if the Reps wont listen to their own Constitueints and people and vote yes?

After putting a decision to launch military strikes on Syria into the hands of Congress, President Barack Obama is doing what his critics have long accused him of failing to do: reaching out, personally and aggressively, to lawmakers on Capitol Hill.

While top lieutenants including Vice President Joe Biden and Secretary of State John Kerry lobby their former congressional colleagues, Obama is making individual calls himself to members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives to press his case for action.

What Obama has not done since he made his announcement on Saturday is appeal to the public, which both Democrats and Republicans say will be crucial as polls show little enthusiasm for U.S. military action anywhere.

The stakes for the president are high - and the arguments being made in support of a 'yes' vote from Congress are making them even higher.

On Monday National Security adviser Susan Rice, Kerry, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and the top U.S. military officer, Martin Dempsey, held an unclassified briefing call for Democratic House members, and Obama met with McCain and fellow Republican Senator Lindsey Graham.

On Tuesday Obama will meet with the chairs of key national security committees in Congress and Kerry, Dempsey, and Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel will testify to the Senate foreign relations committee.

"In all calls and briefings, we will be making the same fundamental case: The failure to take action against Assad unravels the deterrent impact of the international norm against chemical weapons use," a senior administration official said.

The aide said the Democratic chairmen of relevant Senate committees were consulting with the highest-ranking Republicans on those panels to try to work out language that could pass the Senate next week.....snip~

Analysis: Obama lobbies personally for Syria vote

According to what I am hearing Obama overruled his own team in taking this to Congress. He clearly stated he know he does not have to do this. But he thinks it will make the country stronger. Even with lobbying he knows most of the people in this country don't want any involvement in Syria. As we already have him admitting he watches the polls. So why is he just looking to come up with arguments for intervention. Because this another sideshow to make use of.

Note they are only coming up with arguments as to why we should go an Attack Assad. Not why we shouldn't. Which these are the arguments they will give to the House. Already he has Johnny Quest McCain and Lindsey Graham, plus Peter King R/Rep out of NY in his corner. Plus he picked up a few more from the committees he needs to.

So all of this is a formality.....as he can't really leave the French hanging out in the wind all by their lonesome selves. Thoughts Upon the matter.

I think it's the absolute right thing to do.

Personally, I hope it's a "No Vote." Unintended consequences and all of that. Edit: I doubt it will be, however. In fact, if Congress votes "No," I'll be amazed.

OH BS. er wait...Oh good morning to you too. Just finished my thremos...that's another thread. Oh BS. No matter what Obama does the RW scurries about talking about all he does wrong. The RWers on sevearal of the fourms I am on and Rush were going on about how Obama has no right to engage troops without congressional approval...Libya...blah blah blah. So Obama says here, you decide. Now the RW, not suprisingly, does the 180 and says Obama should just have done it. The tea party republicnas are such obstructionist and know nothing but Obamahate...
Well its not such a brilliant move Mak Mornin Btw :2wave: .....with the rest of the Planet saying he has pulled back. All this crap by McCain about the credibility of the US and the President is garbage. It's already a done deal. As its not just Russian and Assad with Iran popping off at the mouths. Its the rest of the World and the media. Moreover what does he look like if congress says no?

Then goes and attacks anyways. Already they are picking up that bit about Regime change and strategic hits to assist the Rebels. He has sequestration going on and now he wants to spend more money for this adventure?

At least he has some opposition with the House and with his Own people too. Also what good is it if the Reps wont listen to their own Constitueints and people and vote yes?

Personally, I hope it's a "No Vote." Unintended consequences and all of that. Edit: I doubt it will be, however. In fact, if Congress votes "No," I'll be amazed.

Mornin Maggie.
hat.gif
Yeah.....McCain and graham are pulling their Cards and making this an honor thing with the credibility issue. So I think he will get his yes vote. Can't Have Congress stand against him in a time where an Ally has put themselves out there alone either.

Still they are talking another week. What good will the attack be then.....other than to help the Rebels. Whom aren't worth helping at all.

Personally, I hope it's a "No Vote." Unintended consequences and all of that.

The right thing to do cannot happen now, since it was to have debated taking military action (or inaction) before announcing to the world what we, as a nation, will do. Obama never talked in terms of we should, or that he prefererd, he stated clearly what "our" red (or was it fuzzy pink?) line was. Just as we pretend that Egypt has not experienced a military coup, since that requires stopping the aid to that nation, DC is not about even obeying the current laws (that it wrote and passed) - they simply put their personal interests (campaign cash and political gain) ahead of all else and wing it.

OH BS. er wait...Oh good morning to you too. Just finished my thremos...that's another thread. Oh BS. No matter what Obama does the RW scurries about talking about all he does wrong. The RWers on sevearal of the fourms I am on and Rush were going on about how Obama has no right to engage troops without congressional approval...Libya...blah blah blah. So Obama says here, you decide. Now the RW, not suprisingly, does the 180 and says Obama should just have done it. The tea party republicnas are such obstructionist and know nothing but Obamahate...

"While I believe I have the authority to carry out this military action without specific congressional authorization, I know that the country will be stronger if we take this course, and our actions will be even more effective," Obama said as he announced the decision Saturday. "We should have this debate."

The way the president arrived at his decision highlights what has been a source of criticism among Washington's foreign policy thinkers: a president who has centralized decision-making within the White House and at times marginalized the State Department and Pentagon.

As Obama grappled with putting military action to a vote in Congress, he didn't consult his foreign policy team. Instead, he sought out Denis McDonough, a longtime adviser who now serves as his chief of staff. And most of the administration's foreign policy leadership was absent from the Oval Office meeting Friday night when the president informed several advisers about his decision to seek congressional approval.

Rice, a member of the White House staff, was in the room. But Kerry and Hagel were only informed about the decision later that night during phone calls from the president.....snip~

In first major test, Obama overrules new team

What Debate is there if the American people are saying no.....and their Reps vote yes anyways? Also Mak do you think Kerry should have been so emotional about this issue with Syria?

People close to Kerry say he was emotionally affected by the images coming out of Syria following the chemical weapons attack, particularly those of dead and injured children. He channeled that emotion into two powerful speeches, including one on Friday that appeared to be a prelude to a military strike.

"History would judge us all extraordinarily harshly if we turned a blind eye to a dictator's wanton use of weapons of mass destruction against all warnings," said Kerry, reflecting what aides said was his strong belief that action was a moral imperative.....snip~ same link.

Will we turn a blind eye to the Rebels using Chems? To those Rebels that say they will not recognize the FSA and their TNC? To All those civilian committees backing Al Nusra? Should we be basing decisions out of emotion?

The right thing to do cannot happen now, since it was to have debated taking military action (or inaction) before announcing to the world what we, as a nation, will do. Obama never talked in terms of we should, or that he prefererd, he stated clearly what "our" red (or was it fuzzy pink?) line was. Just as we pretend that Egypt has not experienced a military coup, since that requires stopping the aid to that nation, DC is not about even obeying the current laws (that it wrote and passed) - they simply put their personal interests (campaign cash and political gain) ahead of all else and wing it.

I wonder what the truth really is. No one seems interested, they have a position and look for things supporting their position, while downplaying things against their position. Both sides. We shouldn't because we can't afford it, we should because this can't go unpunished, we shouldn't because we don't know for sure, we should because we probably know for sure. The whole thing stinks, everyone has an agenda and is working backwards from there. How about a good old investigation into who did what, seeing the results, and acting accordingly from there? Why are we pushing for an immediate vote not just in spite of a lack of solid information, but in a hurry to get ahead of any solid information that might come out in the mean time?

I would leave them to their civil war, and court the UN and international community to address chemical weapons use without deciding the victor of the civil war. Obama has an unwavering hard on for Assad, and i can even understand the motivations, be he seems to want to ignore all other factors involved.

To the Democrats it will be a just war, to the Republicans an unjust war. All that matters to the politcal ruling class is if their guy is making the call.
Does the President have to take it to Congress or not? If not can the President do what ever he believes he can do regardless of the law the constitution.

I wonder what the truth really is. No one seems interested, they have a position and look for things supporting their position, while downplaying things against their position. Both sides. We shouldn't because we can't afford it, we should because this can't go unpunished, we shouldn't because we don't know for sure, we should because we probably know for sure. The whole thing stinks, everyone has an agenda and is working backwards from there. How about a good old investigation into who did what, seeing the results, and acting accordingly from there? Why are we pushing for an immediate vote not just in spite of a lack of solid information, but in a hurry to get ahead of any solid information that might come out in the mean time?

I would leave them to their civil war, and court the UN and international community to address chemical weapons use without deciding the victor of the civil war. Obama has an unwavering hard on for Assad, and i can even understand the motivations, be he seems to want to ignore all other factors involved.

It would seem that our nearest "allies" in the area are Turkey and Israel yet neither of them seem to want to enter the fray. It is hard for me to see how messing around with the internal affairs of another nation is the best approach here.

Heya Shagg. :2wave: The reason why.....is that Team Obama already knows the Rebels have used Chems. Moreover they know what they did in Homs with that Christian city. So they think they can ignore it. Since the MS Media wont question them over it. One thing they will never be able to do is deny it.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember another President telling the public, and therefore the enemy, what he was going to do before he did it.

I don't see how any strike could have any kind of effect with the enemy knowing what is coming and how to avoid heavy damage.

So Obama won Approval from Congressional Leaders today.....huh? At least that's what this MS media piece said. Then when I checks it out.....seems it is saying something different.

During a meeting with congressional leaders at the White House, Obama said he was confident Congress would vote in favor of military action and said the United States had a broad plan to help the rebels defeat Syrian government forces.

3e2ad1b1-d636-40c3-822d-e884da69063b_AP13864056759.jpg

What we are envisioning is something limited. It is something proportional. It will degrade Assad's capabilities," Obama told reporters. "At the same time we have a broader strategy that will allow us to upgrade the capabilities of the opposition.

The resolution authorizes Obama to use military force as necessary to "prevent or deter the use or proliferation" to or from Syria of any weapons of mass destruction, including chemical weapons.

Obama told congressional leaders he was willing to address their concerns about the authorization.

"We discussed ... increasing the capabilities and that means providing not only weapons, but the kind of weapons they need, which are anti-armor and anti-air. AK-47s don't do very well against tanks," McCain, a member of the committee, told CNN's "New Day."

Both McCain and Menendez said that although any action would be aimed at degrading Assad's capabilities to deliver chemical weapons, it could also undermine the Syrian government itself and shift momentum in favor of the rebels......

Obama launches push for support on Syria, calls for quick action in Congress

Well there ya have it.....Johnny Quest himself gives us the insight.

Do you think they can bring some of these Rebel leaders here to the US? Bring them to Chicago..... where someone will save the Country and Syria a lot of Problems. As you can tell by the Leadership of the Rebels. Someone around here would shoot them just for looking like the Lames they are. Such as Idris and any of their So called puffed up chestless leaders.

I made the comment on this fourm I think
several days before he did this how brilliant I thought it would be for him to dump it in the Congress' lap. You think Obama reads this forum?

nothing brilliant about anything Obama's done.

This is amatuer hour with a incompetent President.

Who would've thought that his " redline" was threatening action, pulling back and then putting it to a vote

NO I am not kidding. I know Bush went to Congress but did he give details of what he was going to do and when?

I don't remember that.

I doubt that congress, or the public, will ever request the precise GPS coordinates of the planned attack or the specific beginning or ending times, from the executive. Without any idea of at least the general intent of any planned foreign military operation the granting of permission (advice and consent) for, or determining the means of providing the needed funding for it, by congress is unlikely.

Heya Shagg. :2wave: The reason why.....is that Team Obama already knows the Rebels have used Chems. Moreover they know what they did in Homs with that Christian city. So they think they can ignore it. Since the MS Media wont question them over it. One thing they will never be able to do is deny it.

I've suspected this from pretty early on, that both sides are not above using chems, and probably have them even if they haven't used them yet (which isn't certain either). Imagine how hard it would be to garner support if it comes out that the rebels (someone said rebels were caught at the turkish border with chems earlier in the thread) have and/or used chemical weapons? Would the rebels be willing to gas some of their own in order to turn the world against assad? The fact that the Syrians were gassed while the un inspectors were in the country says that either:

1) Assad believes himself to powerful enough to disregard the rest of the world. - hard to believe when he can't even win the civil war he has on his hands.

2) Assad has become irrational. - possible, it would be far uglier that 1500 dead in a gas attack if he went off the deep end though, he's already killed several times that in the past.

3) Assad has been framed by the rebels to turn the world against him. - It.... makes sense, knowing who the rebels are.

Not that I'm a big Assad fan, but I'm actually interested in the truth rather than anything I can find to support my agenda and/or position.

When 2 enemies are fighting eachother, do you befriend the one you hate the least or just ... stand back.... and see whos standing when its over and what kind of shape they're in?

I've suspected this from pretty early on, that both sides are not above using chems, and probably have them even if they haven't used them yet (which isn't certain either). Imagine how hard it would be to garner support if it comes out that the rebels (someone said rebels were caught at the turkish border with chems earlier in the thread) have and/or used chemical weapons? Would the rebels be willing to gas some of their own in order to turn the world against assad? The fact that the Syrians were gassed while the un inspectors were in the country says that either:

1) Assad believes himself to powerful enough to disregard the rest of the world. - hard to believe when he can't even win the civil war he has on his hands.

2) Assad has become irrational. - possible, it would be far uglier that 1500 dead in a gas attack if he went off the deep end though, he's already killed several times that in the past.

3) Assad has been framed by the rebels to turn the world against him. - It.... makes sense, knowing who the rebels are.

Not that I'm a big Assad fan, but I'm actually interested in the truth rather than anything I can find to support my agenda and/or position.

When 2 enemies are fighting eachother, do you befriend the one you hate the least or just ... stand back.... and see whos standing when its over and what kind of shape they're in?

Not to mention Assad was winning and taking back the turf he lost. Once the infighting started with the Rebels. We knew this would happen.

Lets not forget the Rebels from the get go have refused all negotiations and peace talks. They Say the Alawites must go. Course most of those Are Sunni Muslims and the traitors Like Idris that think he will have a chance at being something in his Country.

As soon as Assad is out of there. Al Nusra will kill him. Once he actually goes back inside Syria rather than hiding in Turkey. Here is another one.....that leads from behind and not in front of his people.

Oh and the UN suspects both sides of using Chems on small scale. But nothing Assad ordered.

Not to mention Assad was winning and taking back the turf he lost. Once the infighting started with the Rebels. We knew this would happen.

Lets not forget the Rebels from the get go have refused all negotiations and peace talks. They Say the Alawites must go. Course most of those Are Sunni Muslims and the traitors Like Idris that think he will have a chance at being something in his Country.

As soon as Assad is out of there. Al Nusra will kill him. Once he actually goes back inside Syria rather than hiding in Turkey. Here is another one.....that leads from behind and not in front of his people.

Oh and the UN suspects both sides of using Chems on small scale. But nothing Assad ordered.
Your first sentence poses the problem that has yet to be answered, and probably won't be. Assad had nothing at all to gain in the use of CW.

Your first sentence poses the problem that has yet to be answered, and probably won't be. Assad had nothing at all to gain in the use of CW.

Heya HB :2wave: .....yeah, Kerry wouldn't know what direct evidence or proof would look like if it was to hit him in the face. I'm just surprised he didn't start crying on National Television.

Heya HB :2wave: .....yeah, Kerry wouldn't know what direct evidence or proof would look like if it was to hit him in the face. I'm just surprised he didn't start crying on National Television.
Yeah. As if Kerry occupies the pinnacle of moral rectitude. He's a completely self-serving, political climbing POS who's more than happy to glad hand Obama's monumental screw ups off to the American people and our military.

Why does it have to be the 'RWers'? Do you not hear any democrats (sorry...LWers) that think this is a 'bad idea'? Where is Hillary? Where is Reid?

Back
Top Bottom