• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama is fighting for something

Conservatism destroyed Detroit.

It did it by demanding public policies which sent good American manufacturing jobs offshore. It did it by attacking good American union jobs,
jobs paying middle class wages to American workers
. Now those jobs are in third world hellholes paying slave wages to workers who are so desperate they have no choice but working for slave wages.

If you want America to be a third world hellhole, vote for conservatives.
You're funny ... middle class wages for middle class workers ... awesome concept.

It did it by demanding public policies which sent good American manufacturing jobs offshore. It did it by attacking good American union jobs, jobs paying middle class wages to American workers. Now those jobs are in third world hellholes paying slave wages to workers who are so desperate they have no choice but working for slave wages.

Greetings, JoeSteel. :2wave:

Joe, it was Clinton who signed NAFTA into law, accelerating the exodus of good paying jobs to other countries. Clinton is not a conservative. And don't use the objection that this was Bush 1's idea. Clinton did not have to sign NAFTA, if he didn't agree with it, any more that Obama had to continue the tax cuts that Bush2 put into place. Each POTUS makes their own decisions. :shrug:

Pension obligations will likely be held exempt. They are in the two CA city bankruptcies. No, only the capitalist will lose on their willingness to loan the cities money on the full faith and credit of the tax payers who are now stealing them blind.

Wonder if the OP is aware that Detroit isn't really bankrupt, and merely filed (strategic) bankruptcy to avoid paying its pension obligations. . .

Bankrupt Detroit to subsidize hockey arena for billionaire | San Diego Reader

And when we stop accepting imports, where do you propose we will make our exports?

Same place we make them now, in the USA.

I admit we're likely to face trade retaliation but we'll just have to deal with it. No one said saving ourselves would be easy.

Joe, it was Clinton who signed NAFTA into law, accelerating the exodus of good paying jobs to other countries. Clinton is not a conservative. And don't use the objection that this was Bush 1's idea. Clinton did not have to sign NAFTA, if he didn't agree with it, any more that Obama had to continue the tax cuts that Bush2 put into place. Each POTUS makes their own decisions. :shrug:

NAFTA was ready to go when Clinton took office. True, he didn't have to sign it but he did because he is a conservative Democrat and they're not much better than Republicans.

When there was a gold rush, the government was pretty much an observer. If that had happened today, the Obama led stop progress gang would have built walls around the gold fields to keep people out.

Not 'if' it happened today. The envoro-whacko's have pushed fed's, state's and local governments to shut off land and close down so much that across America even the 'hobbyist' prospector is shut down. I know this because I used to do it, and can no longer do it on most of the public lands I once did. Of course, I cleaned crap out of rivers in the process (fishing weights, lead, mercury, etc) and left where I worked better than before I was there, but somehow what I did was 'bad' and 'horrible' and needed to be shut down.

Only ignorance can bring someone to such a conclusion.

Same place we make them now, in the USA.

I admit we're likely to face trade retaliation but we'll just have to deal with it. No one said saving ourselves would be easy.

We export about $190,000 million.

We import about $230,000 Million. If we eliminate the oil imports, we can still conduct a thriving trade and grow the economy on top of what we already do.

Why cut off a source of profit?

United States Exports | Actual Value | Historical Data | Forecast

NAFTA was a conservative policy. The fact that Clinton foolishly negotiated with conservatives and went along with their failed policies doesn't change the fact that the policies are conservative. It only proves that conservative policies are utter failures.

NAFTA was ready to go when Clinton took office. True, he didn't have to sign it but he did because he is a conservative Democrat and they're not much better than Republicans.

Yep, the lesson is that Democrats should never cooperate with conservatives and their failed policies.

But of course the rightwingers on this thread are being totally disingenuous since they support NAFTA, the repeal of Glass-Steigel and so forth. So basically there argument is that Democrats are at fault for going along with the failed ideology of conservatism.

Not a ringing endorsement of conservatism, but then, no such endorsement is possible given the history of failure every single conservative policy has.

We export about $190,000 million.

We import about $230,000 Million. If we eliminate the oil imports, we can still conduct a thriving trade and grow the economy on top of what we already do.

Why cut off a source of profit?

United States Exports | Actual Value | Historical Data | Forecast

Actually comparative advantage makes this utterly moot; but discussing actual economic theory with conservatives is something of a waste of time.

The issue really isn't at heart trade policy (though I would tariff sweatshop nations to even the playing field), rather the issue is tax policy. Both countries benefit from trade; the problem is the benefit is in the aggregate. Trade with sweatshop nations enriches the owners of capital in the US and suppresses wages for unskilled workers. A bad result we can fix with a steep progressive tax and funding retraining. But again, whoosh, right over the head of the lumpen market evangelists.

Yep, the lesson is that Democrats should never cooperate with conservatives and their failed policies.

But of course the rightwingers on this thread are being totally disingenuous since they support NAFTA, the repeal of Glass-Steigel and so forth. So basically there argument is that Democrats are at fault for going along with the failed ideology of conservatism.

Not a ringing endorsement of conservatism, but then, no such endorsement is possible given the history of failure every single conservative policy has.

:rofl..........i love you, becuase you are a constant source of entrainment for us all.

NAFTA was a conservative policy. The fact that Clinton foolishly negotiated with conservatives and went along with their failed policies doesn't change the fact that the policies are conservative. It only proves that conservative policies are utter failures.

Nafta and all have had bipartisan support, but let's see; the left has a pile of failed policies and the right has a pile of failed policies... Why would anyone support either??

Actually comparative advantage makes this utterly moot; but discussing actual economic theory with conservatives is something of a waste of time.

The issue really isn't at heart trade policy (though I would tariff sweatshop nations to even the playing field), rather the issue is tax policy. Both countries benefit from trade; the problem is the benefit is in the aggregate. Trade with sweatshop nations enriches the owners of capital in the US and suppresses wages for unskilled workers. A bad result we can fix with a steep progressive tax and funding retraining. But again, whoosh, right over the head of the lumpen market evangelists.

Protectionist, isolationist policies are proven losers for the economy.

It did it by demanding public policies which sent good American manufacturing jobs offshore. It did it by attacking good American union jobs, jobs paying middle class wages to American workers. Now those jobs are in third world hellholes paying slave wages to workers who are so desperate they have no choice but working for slave wages.

What's the literacy rate in Detroit?

If the population can't read, how is it expected to manufacture cars

Question: Have you seen what Detroit looks like right now? What party has run it for the last 50 years?

No, but if someone brings a factory they can work the assembly line... But at this point the job can be done with robots, so why pay the inflated salary when Chinese, Brazilian and other countries can do the same job for 1/100th the price.

If there is to be a bailout of Detroit, it would be a bailout given to business startups coming back to Detroit with a bonus and tax incentives for every employee hired.

To your questions more directly, I say "whatever the answer is", that you check the fruits of the types of policies that were in Detroit, if the answer is of your supporters.

No, but if someone brings a factory they can work the assembly line... But at this point the job can be done with robots, so why pay the inflated salary when Chinese, Brazilian and other countries can do the same job for 1/100th the price.

If the population can't read/write, how are they expected to compete in the Labor Market?

The auto industry isn't all robots right now. That's a strawman fallacy. Look at Mercedez Benz in Alabama. Ford still employs plenty of people. The problem is the population of Detroit isn't educated enough to fill those jobs. City officials are corrupt. Regulatory agencies are broken and filled with bribery and corruption. The city is in chaos because of Democrat leadership.

If there is to be a bailout of Detroit, it would be a bailout given to business startups coming back to Detroit with a bonus and tax incentives for every employee hired.

No bailout for Detroit. We don't have the money. They are on their own.

To your questions more directly, I say "whatever the answer is", that you check the fruits of the types of policies that were in Detroit, if the answer is of your supporters.

What political party has run Detroit for the last 50 years?

I thought Obama would prefer Chicago style corruption...

He does, look at the excuative branch of government under Obama.

Look at the disharmony we are seeing today all across America under the Obama administration.

If the population can't read/write, how are they expected to compete in the Labor Market?

That's a separate issue, really, this boils down to the issue of "where are the families?", although, you are right, in todays world, not knowing how to read sets a huge limit on a persons potential... Though, trades workers often don't need to be able to read, so long as they can count.

The auto industry isn't all robots right now. That's a strawman fallacy. Look at Mercedez Benz in Alabama. Ford still employs plenty of people. The problem is the population of Detroit isn't educated enough to fill those jobs. City officials are corrupt. Regulatory agencies are broken and filled with bribery and corruption. The city is in chaos because of Democrat leadership.

Actually, every city that's on the verge of bankruptcy is run by a democrat... At least the 10 worst off... And I know that the robots are not pervasive in the industry, but when an industry I in the process of being automated, you'll need some better skills.

Gotta be able to see the direction the winds are blowing.

No bailout for Detroit. We don't have the money. They are on their own.

I agree, it should not be done, but since it's in the process of being authorized on our behalf... We should at least see that it's done in the most productive way possible, but that's not going to happen because Detroit is more of the canary in the coal mine.

What political party has run Detroit for the last 50 years?

Democrats, but this also neglects how unions were made too powerful, and ultimately they priced themselves out of the game... And well, that's what bailout money went towards, not helping anything but shipping the few jobs left out o country.

If the population can't read, how is it expected to manufacture cars

Question: Have you seen what Detroit looks like right now? What party has run it for the last 50 years?

A city does not get abandoned because it's a desirable place to live.

A city does not get abandoned because it's a desirable place to live.

:attn1: The article below is from Paul Kersey's blog "Stuff Black People Don't Like." The black community don't like what they read because it's true what they read. Liberals and progressives also have a problem with the truth. But as soon as some black individual found out that Paul Kersey wasn't a brother but was white, he was labeled a racist.

But the truth is, "a city does not get abandoned because it's a desirable place to live."

>" The Detroit that Black people inherited after the Black Riot of 1967 – the same Detroit that white people fled from only to rebuild in the suburbs – was a veritable symphony, the magnificent collective glory of white individuals working together to build what was deemed “The Paris of the West.”

With the election of Coleman Young as the first Black mayor of post-riot Detroit, the symphony that white individuals collectively composed has become a noisome cacophony, as individual Black people have collectively defaced all there that was once good and grand.

And then they stole the orchestral instruments.

Black people were handed a completed opus with Detroit, a concerto of unprecedented beauty and grandeur, all meticulously composed and arranged by white people. Well, it wasn’t a complete work of art. One can’t forget that Black people had already rioted in 1967 and burnt down large segments of the city, never bothering to clean up the mess or rebuild what they never built in the first place..."< Stuff Black People Don't Like - SBPDL: Black America Fists Detroit: That Joe Louis Statue

Back
Top Bottom