• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Obama is Beautiful, Tanned:ITA PM

FreeThinker

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
PM praises &squo;beautiful, tanned&squo; Obama | Herald Sun

ITALIAN Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi today praised US election victor Barack Obama as young, beautiful and "tanned" and said the world saw him as a messiah.

"He is young, he is beautiful and he is tanned,'' Mr Berlusconi said in Moscow's Kremlin, when asked how President-elect Obama might get along with his Russian counterpart Dmitry Medvedev.

"I think that there is going to be good co-operation,'' Mr Berlusconi said.

Mr Berlusconi warned that Senator Obama, the United States' first black president, would have to deal with inflated expectations from a world that had portrayed him "almost as a messiah''.

"There are a lot of expectations that he should not disappoint,'' Mr Berlusconi said.

Mr Berlusconi, who was in Moscow for economic talks, assured Senator Obama that bilateral ties between Italy and the United States would "continue to grow and strengthen'' under the new administration.

When did Italy become so creepy?

ITALIAN Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi today praised US election victor Barack Obama as young, beautiful and "tanned" and said the world saw him as a messiah.

"He is young, he is beautiful and he is tanned,'' Mr Berlusconi said in Moscow's Kremlin, when asked how President-elect Obama might get along with his Russian counterpart Dmitry Medvedev.

Mr Berlusconi warned that Senator Obama, the United States' first black president, would have to deal with inflated expectations from a world that had portrayed him "almost as a messiah''.

"There are a lot of expectations that he should not disappoint,'' Mr Berlusconi said.

Mr Berlusconi, who was in Moscow for economic talks, assured Senator Obama that bilateral ties between Italy and the United States would "continue to grow and strengthen'' under the new administration.

when the right got power and have been slowly turning it into another fascist nation.

That seems like a major amount of denial towards his race to me.

That seems like a major amount of denial towards his race to me.

It's either denial or a really bad attempt at a joke by Berlusconi, because while he may be a shoddy poltician, he's not that stupid.

My guess would have been that he'd have prefered a McCain wn. Those two would be much closer in terms of ideology, than Berlusconi is to Obama.

It's either denial or a really bad attempt at a joke by Berlusconi, because while he may be a shoddy poltician, he's not that stupid.

My guess would have been that he'd have prefered a McCain wn. Those two would be much closer in terms of ideology, than Berlusconi is to Obama.

I find it funnier to think of it as denial. I'm going to start refering to black people as "Tan-Americans."

Could there have been some sort of mistake in the translation?
Could he have said "dark" or "swarthy" or "brown" or even "tan", rather than "tanned"?

:confused:

If not, it's pretty bizarre.

Could he have said "dark" or "swarthy" or "brown" or even "tan", rather than "tanned"?

No, I just checked the Italian Google News and it's not anything that was lost in translation. He actually said "tanned".

You have to understand something about this Berlusconi freak. He is completely obsessed with youth and physical appearance. When asked about his "tanned" comment he said it was the highest compliment ever. :roll:

My country is doomed. :(

You haven't watched Berlusconi much, have you? My family has Italian relatives who, for reasons we do not understand, like this guy. We always keep jabbing at them for that. IMHO, this guy is one of the most self-centered egotistical little pr**ks I've ever had the displeasure of reading about. He has a tendency to say some extremely crude and/or stupid things and being rather angry and offended if these things are pointed out to him.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Berlusconi says Obama is 'tanned'

The Italian news agency Ansa said Mr Berlusconi later defended the remark, calling it "a great compliment".

Responding to a reporter's suggestion that the remark might be misunderstood, he accused his opponents of not having a sense of humour.

''God save us from imbeciles,'' he added.

:mad: Sorry for the rant. This guy happens to be the one person whom I just cannot stand at all.

One, Berlusconi's a jerk. I lived in Italy when he first got into power and he had a control over the country Bush could only salivate over. Two, this is precisely the kind of joke an Italian would find funny. Having lived their for a bunch of years, I even get the joke......sort of. It's pretty abstract, actually. The only thing I could say that would make any sense is that it's an Italian's version of irony.

This is hard news? Other than the race-guilt media who cares?

Oh my god, you're trying to turn a gaffe by Silvio Berlusconi into a stick to beat Obama with? Seriously, Bonnie, just stop.

He must have heard how clean and handsome Obama is from VP-elect Biden.

He must have heard how clean and handsome Obama is from VP-elect Biden.

Yeah, that was a little creepy too, actually.

His actual statement was: "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy."

Perhaps he meant "clean" as in, "No significant scandals."
Whatever he meant, it certainly didn't sound good.

Are you trying to use the imagery of beating a black man as a stick to beat Bonnie with??? :confused:

It's a commonly used phrase, although I'm sure Bonnie will post in a few minutes with a reeason why it's hideously sexist and derogatory to women. :roll:

His actual statement was: "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy."

That's one of the factors that made me incredibly surprised when Obama chose Biden as his running mate. I admire Biden as a politician, but this remark came frighteningly close to "I'm not racist, I have a black friend, AND he's clean and articulate!" in my mind, and that's not a sentiment I'd think Obama would have welcomed in someone on his ticket.

That's one of the factors that made me incredibly surprised when Obama chose Biden as his running mate. I admire Biden as a politician, but this remark came frighteningly close to "I'm not racist, I have a black friend, AND he's clean and articulate!" in my mind, and that's not a sentiment I'd think Obama would have welcomed in someone on his ticket.

No, I agree entirely.
But on the other hand, I was impressed with Biden during the VP debates.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

No, I agree entirely.
But on the other hand, I was impressed with Biden during the VP debates.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Mhm, he did come off as very clean and articulate in that debate, I'll give you that. ;)

He genuinely was impressive though, and I admire him greatly for introducing the VAWA. I suppose when you stack up one slightly racist remark against a career of accomplishment and dedication, it makes sense that he attracted the attention of the Obama campaign, and I personally think he was a great pick.

Bush must not have gotten the message Obama was clean:

Books: Bush Sanitized Himself After Touching Obama

:lol:

"Obama!" Bush exclaimed... "Come here and meet Laura. Laura, you remember Obama. We saw him on TV during election night. Beautiful family. And that wife of yours — that's one impressive lady."
The two men shook hands and then, according to Obama, Bush turned to an aide, "who squirted a big dollop of hand sanitizer in the president's hand."
Bush then offered some to Obama, who recalled: "Not wanting to seem unhygienic, I took a squirt."

Good heavens.
I'll bet that was an awkward moment. :wassat1:

Perhaps Bush has OCD. Maybe he's one of those people who washes their hands constantly.
I can think of no other reason for him to be so uncouth, or for an aide to be standing by with hand sanitizer. perhaps he cleans his hands after he touches anyone. That's just weird.

No, I just checked the Italian Google News and it's not anything that was lost in translation. He actually said "tanned".

You have to understand something about this Berlusconi freak. He is completely obsessed with youth and physical appearance. When asked about his "tanned" comment he said it was the highest compliment ever. :roll:

My country is doomed. :(

Well, I don't care what nasty things other countries say about Italy.

To me, you are all beautiful and tanned.

How dare you imply that what the Italian prime minister has to say is not hard news. I bet you're completely devoid of any type of sun exposure.

The only well known black men around the political scene were Jessie Jackson and that fat guy with godfather jowels. Both of those idiots played up racial stereotypes as much as possible.

Jackson even stated that he wanted to cut Barack's balls off for "talking down" to the black community and promoting individual responsibility. What a hero.

Anyway, I think what Biden meant was that Obama is the first well known black politician to really enter the American consciousness. Colin Powell and Rice are both well known blacks, but neither are figureheads for a political party like Obama is.

Bush must not have gotten the message Obama was clean:

Books: Bush Sanitized Himself After Touching Obama

:lol:

OMG dude I TOTALLY agree that NAZI BUSH is such a FASCIST RACIST IDIOT.

We should like, go post every link to every bush bashing article and conspiracy youtube video in every thread together. Seriously, I think only you and me know that Bush is an idiot. NO ONE seems to mention this ANYWHERE on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom