• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Indicts Obama

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
by Victor Davis Hanson
September 1st, 2013

One of the problems that Barack Obama has in mounting an attack against the Assad regime is that the gambit violates every argument Barack Obama used against the Bush administration to establish his own anti-war candidacy.

The hypocrisy is so stunning that it infuriates his critics and stuns his supporters.

Deriding the Iraq war was Obama’s signature selling point. He used it to great effect against both Hillary Clinton (who voted for the war) in the Democratic primaries and John McCain in the general election. For the last five years, disparagement of “Iraq” and “Bush” has seemed to intrude into almost every sentence the president utters.

And now? His sudden pro-war stance makes a number of hypocritical assumptions. First, the U.S. president can attack a sovereign nation without authorization from Congress (unlike the Iraq war when George W. Bush obtained authorization from both houses of Congress). Even if Obama gets a no vote, he said that he reserves the right to strike.

Second, Obama assumes that the U.S. must go it alone and attack unilaterally (unlike the coalition of the willing of some 40 nations that joined us in Iraq).

Third, it is unnecessary even to approach the UN (unlike Iraq when the Bush administration desperately sought UN support).

Fourth, the U.S. president must make a judgment call on the likelihood of WMD use, which is grounds ipso facto to go to war (unlike Iraq when the vast majority of the 23 congressionally authorized writs had nothing to do with WMD [e.g., genocide of the Marsh Arabs and Kurds, bounties to suicide bombers, harboring of international terrorists, violations of UN agreements, attempts to kill a former U.S. president, etc.]).

So review for a moment the Old Obama case against the New Obama.

{snip}
Dr. Barack and Mr. Hyde

So why is there such a disconnect between what Obama once declared and what he subsequently professed? There are four explanations, none of them mutually exclusive:

[Excerpt]

Read more:
Works and Days » Obama Indicts Obama

Mr. Hanson does seem to be able to describe things correctly.

by Victor Davis Hanson
September 1st, 2013

One of the problems that Barack Obama has in mounting an attack against the Assad regime is that the gambit violates every argument Barack Obama used against the Bush administration to establish his own anti-war candidacy.

The hypocrisy is so stunning that it infuriates his critics and stuns his supporters.

Deriding the Iraq war was Obama’s signature selling point. He used it to great effect against both Hillary Clinton (who voted for the war) in the Democratic primaries and John McCain in the general election. For the last five years, disparagement of “Iraq” and “Bush” has seemed to intrude into almost every sentence the president utters.

And now? His sudden pro-war stance makes a number of hypocritical assumptions. First, the U.S. president can attack a sovereign nation without authorization from Congress (unlike the Iraq war when George W. Bush obtained authorization from both houses of Congress). Even if Obama gets a no vote, he said that he reserves the right to strike.

Second, Obama assumes that the U.S. must go it alone and attack unilaterally (unlike the coalition of the willing of some 40 nations that joined us in Iraq).

Third, it is unnecessary even to approach the UN (unlike Iraq when the Bush administration desperately sought UN support).

Fourth, the U.S. president must make a judgment call on the likelihood of WMD use, which is grounds ipso facto to go to war (unlike Iraq when the vast majority of the 23 congressionally authorized writs had nothing to do with WMD [e.g., genocide of the Marsh Arabs and Kurds, bounties to suicide bombers, harboring of international terrorists, violations of UN agreements, attempts to kill a former U.S. president, etc.]).

{snip}
Dr. Barack and Mr. Hyde

So why is there such a disconnect between what Obama once declared and what he subsequently professed? There are four explanations, none of them mutually exclusive:

[Excerpt]

Read more:

The link on this post goes to PJMedia, a neocon website.

I am not interested in reading what any neocon 'thinks' about anything.

The neocons drug the USA into Iraq, remember that mess?

The link on this post goes to PJMedia, a neocon website.

I am not interested in reading what any neocon 'thinks' about anything.

The neocons drug the USA into Iraq, remember that mess?
Shrub, if PJ media said the ocean was wet would you dispute it just because?
Challenge the material not the source.

by Victor Davis Hanson
September 1st, 2013

{snip}
Dr. Barack and Mr. Hyde

[Excerpt]

Read more:

If you want to read what PJ Media has to say 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from now until the end of time, get after it.

But I won't be there with you for one minute. I have better things to do with my time.

Have a nice day.

If you want to read what PJ Media has to say 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from now until the end of time, get after it.

But I won't be there with you for one minute. I have better things to do with my time.

Have a nice day.
I don't recall saying I wanted to do that, but, whatever.

If you have a problem with what was actually written you should say why, not simply that you don't like the source.
You might make good points and we could all learn a little something.

by Victor Davis Hanson
September 1st, 2013

{snip}
Dr. Barack and Mr. Hyde

[Excerpt]

Read more:

I don't recall saying I wanted to do that, but, whatever.

If you have a problem with what was actually written you should say why, not simply that you don't like the source
You might make good points and we could all learn a little something.

I am just going to say that I have interacted with PJ Media in the past and I don't care for the way that it operates.

That's all that I have to say about those losers.

I am just going to say that I have interacted with PJ Media in the past and I don't care for the way that it operates.

That's all that I have to say about those losers.

Fair enough.

Brooks,
In actuality, Shrubnose has a personal problem with me but has already been warned by the moderators. He's on ignore and I refuse to read any of his tripe. I treat his posts with the contempt they deserve by not acknowledging him or his posts.

Sooooo, getting back to the discussion. One doesn't even have to look at the link to agree that Obama is a hypocrite. He should have known about the requisite "presidential intervention" clause of his job description before indicating a passive presidency. Being a hypocrite isn't so bad in politics, it's sort of expected. The real shame is the lack of leadership and accountability across the board.

Hypocrisy would indeed apply if the two situations were in any way similar. Precision airstrikes are not equitable to an invasion and subsequent occupation which ultimately amounted to over 100 thousand US boots on the ground. Some will have to learn this the hard way.

Sooooo, getting back to the discussion. One doesn't even have to look at the link to agree that Obama is a hypocrite. He should have known about the requisite "presidential intervention" clause of his job description before indicating a passive presidency. Being a hypocrite isn't so bad in politics, it's sort of expected. The real shame is the lack of leadership and accountability across the board.

I've been posting the same thing. When one considers that Mr. Obama experience in politics can be that on a novice level his decisions have to be orchestrated by others. Remember Obama's statement that we should judge him by those that surround him. Other than the politicians, Obama's advisors have been rank amateurs, or people like Axelrod, Ayers, Geithner, etc.

Last edited:
Moderator's Warning:
Who you do or do not have on ignore isn't the topic of this thread nor appropriate discussion for upstairs. Continued baiting/personal attacks will result in action. Similarly, if you have nothing to say about the topic of a thread and don't wish to engage in discussing said topic, don't post. Continually posting in a thread to simply say the topic is bad and that you won't discuss it is trolling.

Continued violations by anyone will result in further action

Hypocrisy would indeed apply if the two situations were in any way similar. Precision airstrikes are not equitable to an invasion and subsequent occupation which ultimately amounted to over 100 thousand US boots on the ground. Some will have to learn this the hard way.
A foreign military's violation of a Nation's Sovereignty, is a foreign military's violation of a Nation's Sovereignty.

It is an act of War regardless of it's extent.

Back
Top Bottom