• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama : I Might Lose Congressional Vote on Syria....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Battling stiff resistance in Congress, President Barack Obama conceded Monday night he might lose his fight for congressional support of a military strike against Syria, and declined to say what he would do if lawmakers reject his call to back retaliation for a chemical weapons attack last month.

0a24628e89c6f11e3c0f6a70670006bf.jpg

In a series of six network interviews planned as part of a furious lobbying campaign in Congress, Obama said statements suggesting that Syria might agree to surrender control of its chemical weapons stockpile were a potentially positive development.

At the same time, he said they were yet another reason for lawmakers to give him the backing he is seeking.

"If we don't maintain and move forward with a credible threat of military pressure, I do not think we will actually get the kind of agreement I would like to see," he said on CNN.

In a separate interview with NBC, the president took the step — unusual for any politician — of conceding he may lose his campaign in Congress for legislation authorizing a military strike. "I wouldn't say I'm confident" of the outcome, he said.

"I think it's fair to say that I haven't decided" on a next step if Congress turns its back, the president told NBC, part of a furious lobbying campaign aimed at winning support from dubious lawmakers as well as a war-weary public.....snip~

Obama: I might lose congressional vote on Syria

Yeah Obama's Sourpuss says it all.....wheres that Cheshire grin now. He knows the House wont back him. Plus now the Senate is coming up with another option as some Senators are saying his evidence wasn't enough. Now as far as him not knowing what he is going to do.

I think I can believe him on this one.....here he can't let that inflated ego get the better of him. Putin has just upstaged him and his whole team. Making them scramble over something they never thought of from the beginning. A Diplomatic solution for Syria.

Seems Putin just got done showing Obama who is really sitting in the back of the class. Yep.....Obama and his Buddy the French Frilly Fool.

Battling stiff resistance in Congress, President Barack Obama conceded Monday night he might lose his fight for congressional support of a military strike against Syria, and declined to say what he would do if lawmakers reject his call to back retaliation for a chemical weapons attack last month.

In a series of six network interviews planned as part of a furious lobbying campaign in Congress, Obama said statements suggesting that Syria might agree to surrender control of its chemical weapons stockpile were a potentially positive development.

At the same time, he said they were yet another reason for lawmakers to give him the backing he is seeking.

"If we don't maintain and move forward with a credible threat of military pressure, I do not think we will actually get the kind of agreement I would like to see," he said on CNN.

In a separate interview with NBC, the president took the step — unusual for any politician — of conceding he may lose his campaign in Congress for legislation authorizing a military strike. "I wouldn't say I'm confident" of the outcome, he said.

"I think it's fair to say that I haven't decided" on a next step if Congress turns its back, the president told NBC, part of a furious lobbying campaign aimed at winning support from dubious lawmakers as well as a war-weary public.....snip~

Yeah Obama's Sourpuss says it all.....wheres that Cheshire grin now. He knows the House wont back him. Plus now the Senate is coming up with another option as some Senators are saying his evidence wasn't enough. Now as far as him not knowing what he is going to do.

I think I can believe him on this one.....here he can't let that inflated ego get the better of him. Putin has just upstaged him and his whole team. Making them scramble over something they never thought of from the beginning. A Diplomatic solution for Syria.

Seems Putin just got done showing Obama who is really sitting in the back of the class. Yep.....Obama and his Buddy the French Frilly Fool.

Again, the American people foolishly believe they actually know "the rest of the story."

Hey, Putin!! Obama here. Let's do this. You put pressure on Syria to turn over their chemical weapons while I rattle the war drums at them. No, no, wait!!! You take all the credit! You look like the ultimate peace keeper, and we all get what we want. You up for it??

If you think it's impossible that it could happen just that way, you're foolish. If you think The White House won't spin it just that way, you're foolish.

We don't know what we don't know.

Obama is proving on the big stage that he is not qualified for his position and that he is nothing more than a buffoon!

Again, the American people foolishly believe they actually know "the rest of the story."

If you think it's impossible that it could happen just that way, you're foolish. If you think The White House won't spin it just that way, you're foolish.

Mornin' Mags :2wave: .....yeah I know. Plus Obama says he has had ongoing talks with Putin. Plus that he has instructed John Kerry to talk to the Russians directly. That these talks have been going on for some time.

Except.....for the fact. The One reported by ALL the MSMedia. That Obama quit talking to Putin over Snowden. But still Kerry had scheduled talks with his Russian counterparts. Do you think he can go back in time and change all those News Headlines for the last couple months? What about the Progressives and all the libs.....can they go back and change all those News Stories now to try and reflect History otherwise? :lol:

President Barack Obama has said in an interview, with US broadcaster PBS, that he spoke to Russian President Vladimir Putin about Syria turning over its chemical weapons to international control.

"I did have those conversations. And this is a continuation of conversations I've had with President Putin for quite some time," said Obama.

"If we can exhaust these diplomatic efforts and come up with a formula that gives the international community a verifiable, enforceable mechanism to deal with these chemical weapons in Syria, then I'm all for it.

"But we're going to have to see specifics. And I think it is reasonable to assume that we would not be at this point if there were not a credible military threat standing behind the norm against the use of chemical weapons."

Earlier on Tuesday, Moscow officials said Syria has accepted its proposal to put chemical weapons under international control.....snip~

Obama is proving on the big stage that he is not qualified for his position and that he is nothing more than a buffoon!
Well when you are used to playing small ball. Its hard to hang tough with a guy like Putin.

This is fascinating - I don't think he wants to go into Syria, but doesn't want to say that out loud and, instead, is passing the 'blame' onto Congress.

True, it's what should always be done in every situation - but he's already established that 'going to Congress' isn't how he prefers to function. Usually, he just passes an order and does whatever the hell he wants. I don't think his 'sudden change and sticking to the real rules' is because he's actually come to reconsider his 'permissions' as president. I think it's because it's a cozy scapegoat.

Obama doesn't know what he wants or what he thinks.

I saw the start of his interview with CNN last night and was dumbfounded when Blitzer asked Obama if he was concerned with the threats from Assad that Syria would attack the US if they bombed Syria and Obama basically said it was nonsense and he was fully confident that Syria didn't pose a security risk to the United States. Well, duh - hasn't he been parading around the past two weeks or so claiming that Syria must be hit because they pose a serious national security risk to the United States?

Obama is like some posters here on DP - he just disagrees with pretty much anyone who challenges him no matter what they say or if he has to twist himself into a pretzel each time he opens his mouth.

We know that Syria has WMD's and supports terrorism.

I remember a time when republicans thought that was good enough reason to justify an invasion

Note: I did not and still do not support the above rationalization for war.

We know that Syria has WMD's and supports terrorism.

I remember a time when republicans thought that was good enough reason to justify an invasion

Note: I did not and still do not support the above rationalization for war.

Democrats thought it did, too. ;)

This is fascinating - I don't think he wants to go into Syria, but doesn't want to say that out loud and, instead, is passing the 'blame' onto Congress.

True, it's what should always be done in every situation - but he's already established that 'going to Congress' isn't how he prefers to function. Usually, he just passes an order and does whatever the hell he wants. I don't think his 'sudden change and sticking to the real rules' is because he's actually come to reconsider his 'permissions' as president. I think it's because it's a cozy scapegoat.

Mornin Auntie Mmmmm.
hat.gif
That's exactly what he wanted to do. Get the blame off him and onto Congress. Course he didn't want that Dismal Job showing hogging all the headlines. No more Benghazi. Or any other scandal he has going. So this helped him with some major distraction. Still his body language on all the stations and that fricken sourpusss says it all. He definitely didn't like get upstaged and made to look like he doesn't belong up there.

Course wait until you hear his speech tonight. With all the Right Wing talking Points. He has cited Reagan, and Lincoln. He actually thinks that by saying these things that those on the Right will all line up lock stock and barrel. Cuz he said some Pretty Republican words. That he can trick those people out on the streets into thinking he has bi-partisanship over this.

Plus don't forget.....he says he still hasn't decide what to do should Congress say no. Like they will.

Most of his recent pics just aren't carrying that Cheshire grin and all those key smack talking points he was throwing down on the Repubs now.

He knows people are onto his Admin with the Neo Cons in backin AQ and the Syrian Rebel terrorists who have used Chems. So not only does he lose the political battle with Putin. But he also comes out looking like the Hypocrite he is! ;)

What time does President Kerry speak tonight?

Obama doesn't know what he wants or what he thinks.

I saw the start of his interview with CNN last night and was dumbfounded when Blitzer asked Obama if he was concerned with the threats from Assad that Syria would attack the US if they bombed Syria and Obama basically said it was nonsense and he was fully confident that Syria didn't pose a security risk to the United States. Well, duh - hasn't he been parading around the past two weeks or so claiming that Syria must be hit because they pose a serious national security risk to the United States?

Obama is like some posters here on DP - he just disagrees with pretty much anyone who challenges him no matter what they say or if he has to twist himself into a pretzel each time he opens his mouth.

Now, now CJ. People need to cut him some slack, since he is still in the process of "evolving." :?: :shock: The ironic thing about Syria is that something like 90% of the people in this country, on both sides of the aisle, said :bs and hollered NO to invading Syria until the truth was known! Could this mean that people are becoming more discriminating in discerning what is nonsence, and that some things are just not believable, no matter what the frenzied hype is? I wonder...

I still think the President's chances in the senate is only 50-50 and as I see it, no way will the house go along. If the congress shoots him down along with the mood of the country being overwhelming against any strike against Syria, I would advise against. If he goes against congress, his approval rating may fall into the 30 percent range. That might make anything he tries to do from now on irrelavent.

Now, now CJ. People need to cut him some slack, since he is still in the process of "evolving." :?: :shock: The ironic thing about Syria is that something like 90% of the people in this country, on both sides of the aisle, said :bs and hollered NO to invading Syria until the truth was known! Could this mean that people are becoming more discriminating in discerning what is nonsence, and that some things are just not believable, no matter what the frenzied hype is? I wonder...

Afternoon Pol, I have a few before I go pick up my granddaughter from school. I think if the House votes their constutients wishes, there would be less than 100 votes for striking Syria. In the senate, I think if each senator voted the wishes of the people from their home state, perhaps only 20 senators would be voting for it. These votes will be decided on how much pull Reid has. Have you heard where McConnell comes down on this? I haven't. In the house both Boehner and Pelosi are for it, but it remains to be seen if they have the power to get the members of their party to vote against the people wishes back home in their districts.

I still think the President's chances in the senate is only 50-50 and as I see it, no way will the house go along. If the congress shoots him down along with the mood of the country being overwhelming against any strike against Syria, I would advise against. If he goes against congress, his approval rating may fall into the 30 percent range. That might make anything he tries to do from now on irrelavent.

Mornin Pero.....yeah those chances have gone more against him now. Plus if he overrules and Authorizes knowing the American People are against it. He will destroy himself for the rest of his time in Office. So no win for Obama this time.

The U.S. Senate may not vote this week on the authorization for the use of military force in Syria, congressional aides said on Tuesday after Syria's recent acceptance of a Russian proposal to give up its chemical weapons.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid on Monday abruptly backed off plans to schedule a test vote on Wednesday on a White House-backed resolution to authorize military strikes on Syria, but aides said then a vote was still likely later in the week.

On Tuesday, a Senate Democratic leadership aide said it was unknown whether the Senate would cast any votes this week on the Syria resolution.

But both Democratic and Republican lawmakers have expressed doubts and enthusiastically backed the idea of allowing at least a short window of time for the world to react to Russia's plan to put Syria's chemical weapons under international control.

Mitch McConnell, the top Republican in the Senate, said on Tuesday he would vote against the current resolution authorizing U.S. military force in Syria, a blow to chances of passing the measure.....snip~

U.S. Senate may not vote on Syria this week | Reuters

Mornin Pero.....yeah those chances have gone more against him now. Plus if he overrules and Authorizes knowing the American People are against it. He will destroy himself for the rest of his time in Office. So no win for Obama this time.

The U.S. Senate may not vote this week on the authorization for the use of military force in Syria, congressional aides said on Tuesday after Syria's recent acceptance of a Russian proposal to give up its chemical weapons.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid on Monday abruptly backed off plans to schedule a test vote on Wednesday on a White House-backed resolution to authorize military strikes on Syria, but aides said then a vote was still likely later in the week.

On Tuesday, a Senate Democratic leadership aide said it was unknown whether the Senate would cast any votes this week on the Syria resolution.

But both Democratic and Republican lawmakers have expressed doubts and enthusiastically backed the idea of allowing at least a short window of time for the world to react to Russia's plan to put Syria's chemical weapons under international control.

Mitch McConnell, the top Republican in the Senate, said on Tuesday he would vote against the current resolution authorizing U.S. military force in Syria, a blow to chances of passing the measure.....snip~

U.S. Senate may not vote on Syria this week | Reuters

Thanks, I was wondering about McConnell and now I know.

Afternoon Pol, I have a few before I go pick up my granddaughter from school. I think if the House votes their constutients wishes, there would be less than 100 votes for striking Syria. In the senate, I think if each senator voted the wishes of the people from their home state, perhaps only 20 senators would be voting for it. These votes will be decided on how much pull Reid has. Have you heard where McConnell comes down on this? I haven't. In the house both Boehner and Pelosi are for it, but it remains to be seen if they have the power to get the members of their party to vote against the people wishes back home in their districts.

Good afternoon, Pero. :2wave:

Will there still be a vote, since the international community thinks Putin's suggestion is a good idea? No bombing of Syria, causing even more chaos than already exists; chemical weapons are removed from Syria; rebels continuing to kill everyone they don't agree with, which seems to be normal for them; and Syria continues in their internal religious war, which also seems normal for that part of the world; and Assad seems to have a 70% approval rating from his people, according to news reports. What's the downside?

How does that scenario fit in with Obamas ego? I seriously doubt he would let anybody take credit for anything he did or did not do.

Are we saying Hillary was right with her 3:00 AM ad?

Good afternoon, Pero. :2wave:

Will there still be a vote, since the international community thinks Putin's suggestion is a good idea? No bombing of Syria, causing even more chaos than already exists; chemical weapons are removed from Syria; rebels continuing to kill everyone they don't agree with, which seems to be normal for them; and Syria continues in their internal religious war, which also seems normal for that part of the world; and Assad seems to have a 70% approval rating from his people, according to news reports. What's the downside?

You tell me, there is no downside if Assad goes along as I see it. This seems to be a case of no matter what we do will be wrong. That is in the long term. Doing nothing is probably the best thing we can do at the moment.

Mornin' Mags :2wave: .....yeah I know. Plus Obama says he has had ongoing talks with Putin. Plus that he has instructed John Kerry to talk to the Russians directly. That these talks have been going on for some time.

I am a bit confused.

If Obama is talking to the boss, why would Kerry be talking to employees?

Can't the boss get things done?

That is like having a problem in a resturant and while your wife asks the manager about his family, you tell the buss boy about the problem.

I think I saw a report yesterday that Reid won't call for a vote in the Senate.

What happens if Congress never votes on this?

You tell me, there is no downside if Assad goes along as I see it. This seems to be a case of no matter what we do will be wrong. That is in the long term. Doing nothing is probably the best thing we can do at the moment.

As of this morning's news, Assad has agreed. Now what, other than the rebels have been given time to hide as many chemical weapons, for future use, as they can. We'd be wise to stay out of this quagmire, IMO. :thumbs:

I think I saw a report yesterday that Reid won't call for a vote in the Senate.

What happens if Congress never votes on this?

Interesting question and the truth is I don't know. Hopefully Putin is successful and that alleviates any need for a strike and all this becomes a lot of talk over something that doesn't happen. Something that held the number one spot in the news for a couple of weeks and then totally disappears. At least I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom