• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama has said David Cameron allowed Libya to become a 's*** show'

It proves that the US fired the first shots. Have you been following the debate?

Are you saying that the US started the armed allied intervention in Libya? That first shot?

I supplied the link earlier.

I am asking a simple direct question, please provide a simple direct answer?
finebead said:
Are you saying that the US started the armed allied intervention in Libya? That first shot?
In essence, I don't think the article provides support for the point you are trying to make, that the US under Obama were the primary leaders in the Libya civil war.

Please answer my question first, and show how it supports your contention that the US led the allied military intervention in Libya. I don't believe you have done that. I believe I have shown with my Rand Corp report that England and France led the effort to support the rebels to overthrow Gaddafi, if you've been following the thread, my links are earlier in the thread.

Grant has been unwilling to answer a simple question to clarify his contention that since the US fired the first shot, that proves Obama's leadership in the military intervention in Libya, and therefore Obama is not justified in casting blame on Cameron.

However, the quote that Grant used just above DOES NOT show the US fired any meaningful first shot, except in the sortie quoted above, which occurred LATE in the conflict. It was just one of many sorties flown by many nations. The way Grant states it, without qualification, he indicates it was the first shot of the war, BUT IT WAS NOT. One cannot prove leadership in a military conflict by who fired the first shot on a sortie MONTHS into the conflict, at that point it does not make a difference.

I have already shown that France fired the first shot of the military intervention:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Odyssey_Dawn

There you have it folks, the French fired the first shots, and Grants point is defeated.

Even the British admit that Cameron is to blame for failing to do more to stabilize Libya, so clearly Obama is correct to blame Cameron as the British did in 2015:

UK government spent 13 times more bombing Libya than on rebuilding post war (From Herald Scotland)

England and France were the leaders as I previously posted, and they both failed to provide sufficient support to Libya after the war, clearly demonstrated by their own reporting just above. Yet again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_military_intervention_in_Libya

Your position that the US fired the first shot is WRONG. And the Brits themselves have demonstrated that Cameron failed to provide sufficient support to Libya after the conflict, confirming Obama's criticism of Cameron.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…