• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama gets blind-sided at town hall

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The thing that strikes me about that exchange is that this is what politics in this country should be. Two adults who made their points in an adult fashion without rhetoric or namecalling and listened and actually heard each other's comments. Both of them did very well in presenting what they wanted to say and tying it into the reality of most of America.

Analysis of Obama's response: He was him hawing around in between his stuttering and stammering as he told her all the lovely things he had done to raise prices and caused her to have the very problems she was talking about.

Thank you for the clarification.

Excellent response from the "Dumb ass in Chief." This idiot needs to stick to the teleprompter or just shut the hell up.

The thing that strikes me about that exchange is that this is what politics in this country should be. Two adults who made their points in an adult fashion without rhetoric or namecalling and listened and actually heard each other's comments. Both of them did very well in presenting what they wanted to say and tying it into the reality of most of America.

Agreed.

But come to thread #6...

Analysis of Obama's response: He was him hawing around in between his stuttering and stammering as he told her all the lovely things he had done to raise prices and caused her to have the very problems she was talking about.

Thank you for the clarification.

Excellent response from the "Dumb ass in Chief." This idiot needs to stick to the teleprompter or just shut the hell up.

And then back to our regular partisan programming.

I agree with you, but it's been my observation that President Obama has done everything in his power to avoid such conversations since taking office. 99% of his public appearances are speeches where he refuses to take questions after. He rarely does any press conferences, and only does town halls that he deems relatively safe.

If Obama could do lovely things to raise prices, he would be heralded as the savior of the economy. Of course, i believe you mistake what it truly means to raise prices.

Obama did make the case that his is in fact pro business.

I agree with you, but it's been my observation that President Obama has done everything in his power to avoid such conversations since taking office. 99% of his public appearances are speeches where he refuses to take questions after. He rarely does any press conferences, and only does town halls that he deems relatively safe.

I don't think he was blindsided at all. :roll: He never has a town hall unless the audience are hand-picked supporters. He has no guts to meet regular people head on. He's the president, but he certainly can't take it like a president should.

I would not be surprised if this woman was a plant - she did not bother him at all - and she has to say, " I am exhausted with defending you." That's nothing. If she would have said, I can't defend you anymore, you gave us nothing of what you promised, than that would would have been an interesting exchange.

I don't think he was blindsided at all. :roll: He never has a town hall unless the audience are hand-picked supporters. He has no guts to meet regular people head on. He's the president, but he certainly can't take it like a president should.

I would not be surprised if this woman was a plant - she did not bother him at all - and she has to say, " I am exhausted with defending you." That's nothing. If she would have said, I can't defend you anymore, you gave us nothing of what you promised, than that would would have been an interesting exchange.

Question: Do you believe it is private enterprise is the driving force for the economy?

Question: Do you believe it is private enterprise is the driving force for the economy?

I'll bite. Guessing you have a snappy comeback if the answer is "yes". Is this a rhetorical thingy....??

I'll bite. Guessing you have a snappy comeback if the answer is "yes". Is this a rhetorical thingy....??

No.

My response is phrased in yet another question: Why do people blame the president for the economy when private enterprise is the driving engine for growth? It's ridiculous, in the same light as blaming George W for the recession.

No.

My response is phrased in yet another question: Why do people blame the president for the economy when private enterprise is the driving engine for growth? It's ridiculous, in the same light as blaming George W for the recession.

When Obama is the driving force behind the failed but expensive stimulus package he is blamed, just as Bush was for the 600 dollar checks in the mail.

Obama pushed health care reform, who else would you blame?

IDK, she woud have gotten her point accross much better with an obama = hiter sign...

[...] Why do people blame the president for the economy when private enterprise is the driving engine for growth? [...]

because the actions (or inaction) of the president can (and do) have direct effects on private enterprise.

Last edited:
I really, really loved the woman's respectful tone and intelligence; but I have to agree, Obama fumbled his answer. He sounded like he barely knew what to say, and could only state some policies he is working on. Frankly it was hard to watch him.

Obama did make the case that his is in fact pro business.

In many ways, more so then Bush. I suspect the cost of Obama's tax expenditures are going to be quite large despite the claim they are "paid for."

Well, at least I'll have stuff to do at work. Booking all these various business deductions and credits.

No.

My guess?

An engine might be the driving force that moves a car forward. That doesn't mean exterior factors can slow, stop, or even accelerate said car. One could say Obama, or Bush for that matter, has done certain actions that essentially has slowed, imparied, or accelerated the movement of the economy performed by free enterprise.

Essentially, the notion that free enterprise is the engine that drives the economy means that free enterprise, alone, is the only thing that can really push it forward. That government can't, on its own, drive an economy. That doesn't mean government can't affect it, in various directions, in short or long term ways but simply means it can't do it by itself like free enterprise can.

Since we are doing analogies, I tend to view private enterprise as the engine while sensible government regulation is the oil that keeps the engine from freezing up.

Too much or too little oil can be a very bad thing. Unfortunately, nobody seems quite sure what the proper amount of oil is though.

I really, really loved the woman's respectful tone and intelligence; but I have to agree, Obama fumbled his answer. He sounded like he barely knew what to say, and could only state some policies he is working on. Frankly it was hard to watch him.

I think it took him a few seconds to realize she wasn't going to be complimenting him.
I think he handled it pretty well. I didn't see or hear the disgust in his voice that I have before when someone isn't in agreement with him.

My guess?

An engine might be the driving force that moves a car forward. That doesn't mean exterior factors can slow, stop, or even accelerate said car. One could say Obama, or Bush for that matter, has done certain actions that essentially has slowed, imparied, or accelerated the movement of the economy performed by free enterprise.

Essentially, the notion that free enterprise is the engine that drives the economy means that free enterprise, alone, is the only thing that can really push it forward. That government can't, on its own, drive an economy. That doesn't mean government can't affect it, in various directions, in short or long term ways but simply means it can't do it by itself like free enterprise can.

I do believe government can "bog down" the speed of growth, although there is absolutely nothing put into practice that even remotely achieves this. Interest rates are at zero (pro growth) and government spending via deficits is high (pro growth; and has not in the least bit crowded out private investment). To make the case that the federal government is trying to hinder growth given the actions these past two years is simply bunk. Obamacare and "potential" cap & trade are mere talking points.

There has never been a period in this countries history where the federal government has pushed "output growth" to such an extreme.

Therefore, if you want to blame anyone for this economy, blame private enterprise. We were the ones who got it wrong.

No, the consumer is, and the reason we are still in a mess is because of piss poor consumer confidence. The infrastructure for a recovery is in place, but it won't take off until people start spending money again.

The consumer is a vital aspect of our private enterprise system. For some perspective, consider the former Soviet consumer how their interaction with "so called" suppliers/producers.

Back
Top Bottom