• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama decrees 54.5 miles per gallon

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Video: Obama announces 54.5 mpg gas mileage standard

President Obama is announcing tough fuel-economy standards starting in the 2017 model year, requiring automakers to average 54.5 miles a gallon.

Am I missing something here?

Whether or not the mileage standard is a good idea, just when did the POTUS, any POTUS, get the power to make a unilateral decree?

Did Congress disband or something?

We can use the savings to pay for my unemployment benefits because there likely won't be a motor vehicle out there that I'll be willing to drive, when that happens.

Isn't the EPA in charge of that stuff? And couldn't Obama just tell them that is what he wants.

Isn't the EPA in charge of that stuff? And couldn't Obama just tell them that is what he wants.

Yeah, it doesn't like he wrote a law and is going to enforce anything. Just saying what he wants, I guess... :shrug:

*snort* ".5" . . Because 54 AMPG isn't good enough.

All this really means is that for vehicles that are safe to actually drive and affordable - you have to pay more in fees and taxes. . . and of course I imagine the President's pimped out stereotypical ride is exempt.

If this comes to pass it will be another great example of the government governing with a sledge hammer when a rubber mallet would suffice.

If we are really concerned about fuel consumption and emissions instead of forcing manufacturers to spend large amounts of money in research, development, and factory retooling which will ultimately cost the consumer why do we not simply lower the speed limits back to 55mph? This would save roughly 20-25% in fuel consumption and emissions and cost very little (replacing speed limit signs).

Sure the public will whine initially but it isn't nearly as bad as many will claim. I was driving back before they allowed them to be raised above 55 and when you are used to it it seems normal an of no inconvenience.

*snort* ".5" . . Because 54 AMPG isn't good enough.

All this really means is that for vehicles that are safe to actually drive and affordable - you have to pay more in fees and taxes. . . and of course I imagine the President's pimped out stereotypical ride is exempt.

Bullet-proof body panels wreck fuel economy. While there are some here who would totally be in favor of getting rid of those (at least until the next Republican takes office), that's not going to happen.

Bullet-proof body panels wreck fuel economy. While there are some here who would totally be in favor of getting rid of those (at least until the next Republican takes office), that's not going to happen.

Exactly: in order to imrpve mileage to that point safety has to be sacrificed. . . which I'm not going to do to my family, either.

Exactly: in order to imrpve mileage to that point safety has to be sacrificed. . . which I'm not going to do to my family, either.

So your car has bullet proof panels, it's own oxygen supply, explosion proof exterior etc?

..... since when do you need to drive a freaking tank in the US to feel safe?

..... since when do you need to drive a freaking tank in the US to feel safe?

A tank, NO. An SUV, definitely. I carry significant loads for several of my hobbies on a regular basis. No fiberglass coffin is going to be useful for the types of things I do. When they come up with a 50+mpg SUV that will carry and haul as much as a Jeep Grand Cherokee and doesn't need to be recharged every three hours, let me know. Until then, forget it.

Well that explains it.

Anyways I'm all for it, the less gas I have to buy the better.

You really want to be in this:

2011_Smart_ForTwo_Cabriolet_EV.jpg

When this hits you:

00114051990002-480.jpg

Oh yea, and to give you an idea of what you'll be driving to make 55mpg......the car pictured on top is the smart car. It gets 33city, 41 highway. It would have to be even dinkier than that POS.

Obama doesn't realize (well, he is clueless about a lot of stuff, but this especially) that in order to make a car more fuel efficient you must cut its weight down. Weight that would be used for roll cages, crumple zones, airbags, etc. Cars are safe today because they are built well. I don't see how engineers will be able to design a car thats both safe and fuel efficient to THAT level. I don't think we have the technology to make it cheap enough that people would want to buy it.

If you're going to buy a ****ty little POS car, why not just get a small motorcycle? They are fun to ride and get 70+mpg. My 400cc scooter I ride to work gets 50city 56highway. The Ninja 250 which is a gorgeous little bike will outrun everything on the road sans a Corvette, top out in the mid 80's and get 75mpg city. Best of all, one can be had brand new for a little over 3 grand. That's the way to go.

Last edited:
You really want to be in this:

2011_Smart_ForTwo_Cabriolet_EV.jpg

When this hits you:

00114051990002-480.jpg

Oh yea, and to give you an idea of what you'll be driving to make 55mpg......the car pictured on top is the smart car. It gets 33city, 41 highway. It would have to be even dinkier than that POS.

Obama doesn't realize (well, he is clueless about a lot of stuff, but this especially) that in order to make a car more fuel efficient you must cut its weight down. Weight that would be used for roll cages, crumple zones, airbags, etc. Cars are safe today because they are built well. I don't see how engineers will be able to design a car thats both safe and fuel efficient to THAT level. I don't think we have the technology to make it cheap enough that people would want to buy it.

If you're going to buy a ****ty little POS car, why not just get a small motorcycle? They are fun to ride and get 70+mpg. My 400cc scooter I ride to work gets 50city 56highway.

The Smart Car is horribly inefficient, generally due to a poor engine and transmission. Of course it is safer then the majority of cars built in the 90s as well

Video: Obama announces 54.5 mpg gas mileage standard

Am I missing something here?

Whether or not the mileage standard is a good idea, just when did the POTUS, any POTUS, get the power to make a unilateral decree?

Did Congress disband or something?

I know. Obama has done some stuff I approve of and some stuff that makes me /facepalm! But this has got to be one of the all-time boneheaded moves by a president ever. First, he has no damned authority to make such a decree. Second... it's freaking impossible to accomplish! Auto makers have told him time and again that with current safety standards and materials available, it would be impossible to make a car with that high MPG that was bigger than a single-seat go-cart.

This kind of idiocy makes me want to cry. Seriously.

Edit: I was going by an article I read a couple of days ago which stated that it was basically a decree, that it was to take place in 2017 (not 2025), and that automakers universely said that they could not do it within that time frame, so there was no agreement at all. Looks like the reporters are just as confused as we are. :)

Last edited:
I know. Obama has done some stuff I approve of and some stuff that makes me /facepalm! But this has got to be one of the all-time boneheaded moves by a president ever. First, he has no damned authority to make such a decree. Second... it's freaking impossible to accomplish! Auto makers have told him time and again that with current safety standards and materials available, it would be impossible to make a car with that high MPG that was bigger than a single-seat go-cart.

This kind of idiocy makes me want to cry. Seriously.

This is why I hate CAFE as a means to improve fuel efficiency

Rather then force automakers to produce cars consumers do not want, increase the price of gas. Then consumers will want fuel efficient vehicles, that automakers would be more then willing to produce. This is the case in Europe and Japan. Where luxury cars can be seen with diesels and get 40 mpg (or so, PeteEU will be able to say what an Audi A6 with the smaller diesels can get)

I believe so, here's what another article says:

It's an agreement, not a declaration.

"Automakers received a crucial concession that allows for a midterm review of the standards in 2021.

Industry executives generally praised the length of the program because it allowed the companies to begin planning now for the costs of developing cars and trucks down the road.

“Fourteen years is really important to us,” said Sue Cischke, the chief environmental and safety officer at Ford Motor Company. “Knowing what’s going to happen long term allows us to invest in technology.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/30/business/energy-environment/obama-reveals-details-of-gas-mileage-rules.html?pagewanted=print

Am not getting the impression that the Auto Industry was in the discussion for anything other than survival and self defense. As i read it these new standards/rules are requirements which will start in 2017, basically as an extension of the earlier Obama requirements that end in 2016. As noted the above quote, the Auto Execs are just relieved that the high end 54 MPG requirement won't kick in until 2025.

The potential problem here is that if this really were to get implemented it could have major impact on American auto sales. Personally, I don't/won't even rent a compact car. Am sure as hell not going to buy one.

Am suspecting this policy/decision will get reviewed and modified. Just a guess.

What people don't realize is this is all smoke and mirrors to play to obamas base. The MPG standard is not realistic. The AVERAGE fleet standard is. Car manufacturers will make a few 70MPG go carts which will average the fleet numbers to the desired level. Nobody will buy these cars of course, they will still buy SUVs and pickups but the illusion is complete. Golf carts, coming to your local showroom soon. LOL

Back
Top Bottom