• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama declares 'reckless' BP will pay Gulf cleanup

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Link

By JENNIFER LOVEN, AP White House Correspondent Jennifer Loven, Ap White House Correspondent
Tue Jun 15, 10:12 pm ET

.WASHINGTON – Vowing to "make BP pay," President Barack Obama accused the oil giant of "recklessness" in his first address to the nation from the Oval Office Tuesday night, eight weeks to the day after the catastrophic oil spill began destroying waterways, wildlife and a prized Gulf Coast way of life.
"We will fight this spill with everything we've got for as long it takes," declared Obama, whose own presidency has been stumbling because of the gushing oil. A new Associated Press-GfK poll even indicates as many Americans disapprove of his handling of the crisis — 52 percent — as felt that way about President George W. Bush's handling of the Katrina aftermath.
Obama offered no immediate remedies for a frustrated nation. Rather he announced he had asked former Mississippi Gov. Ray Mabus to develop a long-term Gulf Coast Restoration Plan — to be funded by BP PLC — in concert with local states, communities, fishermen, conservationists and residents "as soon as possible."
He did not detail what this effort — he called it a "battle plan" — should include or how much it might cost, a price sure to be in the billions of dollars. Whatever the bottom line, he declared to his prime-time television audience, "We will make BP pay."
Well, can't believe there's no thread on the President's blame game speech. Looks like we still have no solution from Obama. Bottom line....

IT'S BUSH'S FAULT!

Any questions?

Link

Well, can't believe there's no thread on the President's blame game speech. Looks like we still have no solution from Obama. Bottom line....

IT'S BUSH'S FAULT!

Any questions?

You seriously think that anyone beside the decision makers at BP are to blame for the catastrophic failure because of their blatant ignoring of one safety regulation after another and subsequent largest man-made environmental disaster in the history of our nation?

Really?

Wow.:shock:

You seriously think that anyone beside the decision makers at BP are to blame for the catastrophic failure because of their blatant ignoring of one safety regulation after another and subsequent largest man-made environmental disaster in the history of our nation?

Really?

Wow.:shock:

So no failure of three administrations to outfit the 1994 plan as required by law? No failure of Obama to leave 13 countries waiting on the outside to help because he wont lift the jones act?

Really?

wow indeed,,,,

Link

IT'S BUSH'S FAULT!

Any questions?

Two things. Bush's tenure was when deregulation happened. In fact it was part of the agenda and stuff like this is a good example of why we need regulation. So, in that sense, it is Bush's fault. (It may seem like a tired old mantra to you, but to me it will never tire until it is no longer true)

It is also BP's fault because they knowingly cut corners.

It is a littlebit Obama's fault because he should have cleaned house, but I am going to give him somewhat of a pass since government is huge and there is no way he could possibly know every problem.

So in conclusion
Mostly BP's fault
Some Bush's fault
a little Obama's fault

Link

IT'S BUSH'S FAULT!

Any questions?

You said it, that is the only mantra obama and pelosi appear to have.
To some extent the laxity of regulations was very much the fault of the Bush / Cheney administration, but equally obama and his bunch knew this when they came to power, promising to CHANGE baby CHANGE and yes we CAN and all the other brave sounding words that meant absolutely nothing would get done.
But I am being somewhat unfair, they did promise CHANGE and let us be honest, we did get CHANGE and was it their fault that CHANGE meant something other than what voters expected?
I think that the responses by both CNN and MSNBC to his speech were concise and accurate.
IMO he is not making the situation in the Gulf states any easier, with a 6 Month moratorium on Deep Sea Oil drilling, he promised a committee to look at safety (think he promised this a couple of weeks ago) still waiting for this committee to be set up, but hey CHANGE takes time, but 6 months?, no Oil Company anywhere in the World can afford to have it's rigs redundant for 6 months for any reason.
If this Moratorium is upheld (and to be honest this administration does seem unable to think on it's feet over any problem) then these rigs will have been removed from the GULF to places where they can be utilized.
Now we might think that this is not important, however, there are approximately 100,000 Jobs that will vanish with this Moratorium, 'but hey this is CHANGE', and we got what he promised,'CHANGE', not his fault that the 'CHANGE' we got was not what the voters thought or hoped it would be?.

HEY, WE GOT CHANGE!

Last edited:
Obama declares 'reckless' BP will pay Gulf cleanup

Obama declares 'reckless' BP will pay Gulf cleanup - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – Vowing to "make BP pay," President Barack Obama accused the oil giant of "recklessness" in his first address to the nation from the Oval Office Tuesday night, eight weeks to the day after the catastrophic oil spill began destroying waterways, wildlife and a prized Gulf Coast way of life.
"We will fight this spill with everything we've got for as long it takes," declared Obama, whose own presidency has been stumbling because of the gushing oil. A new Associated Press-GfK poll even indicates as many Americans disapprove of his handling of the crisis — 52 percent — as felt that way about President George W. Bush's handling of the Katrina aftermath.

Really Mr. President, with "everything you got"? Why then, is the jones act in place, and why sir, are the offers of 13 countries including the dutch ignored while millions of barrels of oil destroy the gulf?

"The tragedy unfolding on our coast is the most painful and powerful reminder yet that the time to embrace a clean energy future is now," he said. "I say we can't afford not to change how we produce and use energy - because the long-term costs to our economy, our national security, and our environment are far greater.

Really sir? You have declared war on the Gulf, but unlike Bush I, I think you are losing this one. To turn this disaster into a political move for your anti-oil agenda is sick. allow the help in. and throw everything at it. You sir are derelict by not lifting the jones act.

BP should pay for Gulf cleanup. You know why? Because it's their negligence that led to this disaster, they are responsible. I hope they go bankrupt in the process and maybe America will learn that "drill baby drill" wasn't the best option.

BP should pay for Gulf cleanup. You know why? Because it's their negligence that led to this disaster, they are responsible. I hope they go bankrupt in the process and maybe America will learn that "drill baby drill" wasn't the best option.

this is an ignorant position. While I agree they should pay every dime of this cleanup and for any damages they cause. I hope they make a fortune in the meantime so they can afford to actually, you know, pay out this money. :doh:

this is an ignorant position. While I agree they should pay every dime of this cleanup and for any damages they cause. I hope they make a fortune in the meantime so they can afford to actually, you know, pay out this money. :doh:

While I agree with somepeoplesay's sentiment, you're right on the money Hellhound. We need to keep BP around so they don't go bankrupt and totally escape liability that way. The slow bleed strategy is the best way to get them to pay.

well it was also hyperbole, because we both know the US government will not allow BP to go bankrupt. ;)

there is no way the feds want to be left with all the clean-up cost, let alone the claims from people affected, and so on.

Has anyone bothered to ask what gives The Obama has the power to order BP to "set aside whatever resources are required to compensate the workers and business owners who have been harmed"?

Obama to demand BP pay for oil spill damage - Yahoo! News

BP executives, including Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg, CEO Tony Hayward and BP U.S. boss Lamar McKay, were seen walking into the West Wing of the White House just before 10 a.m. ET for talks with Obama that were scheduled to last 20 minutes.

Wow, Obama, you dedicated a whole 20 minutes to meet with BP? Nice of you to push your tee time back a few minutes.

Hayward, etc, should respond with “Sorry, but no. However, if you ask nicely, then maybe we’ll consider it”.

Hayward, etc, should respond with “Sorry, but no. However, if you ask nicely, then maybe we’ll consider it”.

You know, I wouldn't be so bothered by right-wingers supporting BP if they weren't so gleeful about it. Do you guys take this oil spill and BP's evasiveness in accepting responsibility as some sort of validation of the "free market" at work? Or are you just automatically supportive of anything that will hurt Obama politically? Honestly, what's up with that?

You know, I wouldn't be so bothered by right-wingers supporting BP if they weren't so gleeful about it.
I'm sorry -- you're confused.

There's no support for BP in what I said, there's opposition to the idea that The Obama can simply order BP to create this fund and then turn the administration of said fund over to some 3rd party.

But then, Messiahs aren't constrained by the rules of foolish mortals.

Really Mr. President, with "everything you got"? Why then, is the jones act in place, and why sir, are the offers of 13 countries including the dutch ignored while millions of barrels of oil destroy the gulf?

Really sir? You have declared war on the Gulf, but unlike Bush I, I think you are losing this one. To turn this disaster into a political move for your anti-oil agenda is sick. allow the help in. and throw everything at it. You sir are derelict by not lifting the jones act.
Epoch Times - Jones Act Not A Concern For BP Oil Spill Cleanup
BP Oil Spill: What is the Jones Act?

Because they haven't needed to lift the Jones Act.
We are using the assistance from other countries. They aren't being ignored.

To turn this into a political move? So if he says nothing then we bash him for inaction, he comes out and says what he's doing and what his plans are and we bash him for playing politics and that he blamed it on Bush though he didn't even mention Bush's name? I can't say that i expected any different when I clicked on this thread. Kudos.

There's no support for BP in what I said, there's opposition to the idea that The Obama can simply order BP to create this fund and then turn the administration of said fund over to some 3rd party.

There are many conservatives who jump to defend BP though, all you have to do is look on their online Mecca, FreeRepublic

There are many conservatives who jump to defend BP though, all you have to do is look on their online Mecca, FreeRepublic
However true that may be, it doesn't have anything to do with what -I- said.

Someone was more interested in attacking conservatives than actually reading what I said and ressponding to it.

I certainly am confused as to how you can joke about how BP ought to tell Obama they would "consider it if he asked nicely" as if they've done nothing wrong in this situation. I have no idea what penalties Obama can impose if BP doesn't comply with the orders, but the reaction of a person who doesn't support BP ought to be to look for those penalties, and if there aren't any to come up with something ad hoc. BP simply should not be allowed to decline to participate in this fund and should not be allowed to refuse third party management of it. Obama is hardly a Messiah (but thanks for the warmed over dittohead tripe) and he's been screwing this up royally. But if you're not with Obama and the American people on this then you're with BP.

I certainly am confused as to how you can joke about how BP ought to tell Obama they would "consider it if he asked nicely"
I wasn't joking.
The Obama doesn't have the power to order BP to do anything of the sort, and someone should point this out. No one has a more powerful opportunity to do this than Hayward, if for no other reason that the press cannot ignore any such response.

The rest of your post is ignorant supposition, in whch you may contine to wallow at your leisure, given that you clearly have no interest in discussing the legitimate and relevant point that I presented.

So no failure of three administrations to outfit the 1994 plan as required by law? No failure of Obama to leave 13 countries waiting on the outside to help because he wont lift the jones act?

Really?

wow indeed,,,,

I see. So blatant violation of safety regulations is the fault of the regulator, not the violator?

Really?

wow indeed,,,,

Plenty of failure to go around. The corruption we had in oversight as well...man that should be metted out with life sentences. But pointing fingers does not clean up the oil; and that's what we need to focus on. We can hang CEO's later. Or during. But we've gotta start getting things together a bit better. Katrina shouldn't have taken so long to fix (and it's still not fixed). We can do a lot better job cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom