• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama declares a War on Coal

"Obama made clear in his speech that he intends to impose regulations on existing coal plants that can only be met through carbon capture and storage (technology that doesn’t exist on a commercial scale"
If that's not war on coal I don't know what is.

And consider the troops he has said he will use.

Government Regulatory Agencies - Where "we the people" don't exist...

"Obama made clear in his speech that he intends to impose regulations on existing coal plants that can only be met through carbon capture and storage (technology that doesn’t exist on a commercial scale"

You don't know what is... hard coal is alive and well, soft dirty coal deep down mine shafts that kill the miners is going the way of whalers and buggy whip makers... :2wave:

Oh, if the Heritage Foundation says so, it must be true. They've never straight-up lied on environmental issues before, nosiree.

So Obama's environmental advisor didn't say these things???

best way to deal with coal is an all out effort (both public and private) to build new nuclear and renewable power generation facilities. no one is going to build new coal fired plants anyway, and eventually, it will die on the vine. jacking up the prices of electricity is the most regressive way to achieve the same end.

Liberals oppose nuclear power as well.

I'm assuming its because liberals aren't heavily invested in nuclear energy.....

You don't know what is... hard coal is alive and well, soft dirty coal deep down mine shafts that kill the miners is going the way of whalers and buggy whip makers... :2wave:

And progressive race baiters, redistributionists, and Marxists.....you forgot those.

Liberals oppose nuclear power as well.

I'm assuming its because liberals aren't heavily invested in nuclear energy.....

energy is the lifeblood of the economy. that doesn't change the fact that coal is a centuries old, dirty tech, though. nuclear is a viable replacement, and it doesn't even have to be Uranium. Thorium tech looks pretty good.

either way, not everyone is going to win in the short term. eventually, renewables will probably get advanced enough to provide most of the energy we need. there's probably enough energy in a big storm to power the country for years. until then, we have to work with what we have, and nuclear is the best non-coal option.

energy is the lifeblood of the economy. that doesn't change the fact that coal is a centuries old, dirty tech, though. nuclear is a viable replacement, and it doesn't even have to be Uranium. Thorium tech looks pretty good.

either way, not everyone is going to win in the short term. eventually, renewables will probably get advanced enough to provide most of the energy we need. there's probably enough energy in a big storm to power the country for years. until then, we have to work with what we have, and nuclear is the best non-coal option.

Try telling a liberal politician that.....

Try telling a liberal politician that.....

those standing in the way of various energy strategies don't just fall neatly into one ideology.

Until another option of similar cost is up and running, killing coal will devastate our economy even further. Some claim coal will die a natural death due to new NG technology but those same people oppose fracking which is exactly what makes NG cost competitive. When you can extricate and save the energy from a big storm let us know but until then we need fossil fuel.

those standing in the way of various energy strategies don't just fall neatly into one ideology.

Ya they do. And while your attempt to ride the fence on this issue is commendable, it's simply not the case.

Conservatives support the all of the above strategy, which includes oil and gas exploration and development. Liberals don't. They are focused on renewables only, despite their current inefficiency and low demand and higher prices. They believe forcing society into renewable energy is the process the government should take. How do they force? By pricing other fuel sources out of the market, hurting the pockets of Americans along the way, and destroying good paying jobs.

We should all stand up and applaud them right?

And progressive race baiters, redistributionists, and Marxists.....you forgot those.

According to many on the extreme right wing in the blogger sphere, and some in politics, those you list are growing in number and WINNING! :2wave:

Good afternoon, sawyerloggingon. :2wave:

If a technology does not exist, yet you are expected to use it, that sure sounds like unjust warfare to me. Since WV seems to provide the majority of the coal BHO doesn't want used, this also sounds like payback for WV voting for a felon in preference to BHO in the last primary election. :mrgreen: And Clinton has a reputation for being vindictive? :shock:

Until another option of similar cost is up and running, killing coal will devastate our economy even further. Some claim coal will die a natural death due to new NG technology but those same people oppose fracking which is exactly what makes NG cost competitive. When you can extricate and save the energy from a big storm let us know but until then we need fossil fuel.

i'm not big on NG. it's better used for heating, and all of the other applications will just make heating bills higher for everyone. this is also regressive, as it hits the poor the hardest.

i'm up in the air on fracking. i don't know if it's causing the earthquakes or not, but i'm nervous about what it will do to the groundwater. nuclear and renewables are vastly preferable, IMO.

finally, i live in a former gas boom town. "hundreds of years of natural gas" turned out to be from around 1895 until 1905 or so. given this, i'm pretty wary of relying heavily on NG.

Ya they do. And while your attempt to ride the fence on this issue is commendable, it's simply not the case.

Conservatives support the all of the above strategy, which includes oil and gas exploration and development. Liberals don't. They are focused on renewables only, despite their current inefficiency and low demand and higher prices. They believe forcing society into renewable energy is the process the government should take. How do they force? By pricing other fuel sources out of the market, hurting the pockets of Americans along the way, and destroying good paying jobs.

We should all stand up and applaud them right?

i'm trying to propose the best potential long term solution to the problem, not "riding the fence." renewables are a big part of that solution, and have also created a lot of jobs in my area. i see that as the long term future, and nuclear is our best stepping stone between what we have now and that model.

No, but it's pretty close to a one - to - one correspondence. Liberals are generally in favor of returning to the stone age when it comes to energy production, unless it involves windmills and fairy dust.

Very true, this war on coal will put those people in dire straits when dad loses his job.

All those poor little coals going to bed knowing their dad will not be able to go to work to be burned are going to suffer because of this. Where this makes me sad I see that all of those natural gas kids are going to have great lives because their fathers are able to get jobs being burned. It is just another case of us destroying the lives of black kids.

All those poor little coals going to bed knowing their dad will not be able to go to work to be burned are going to suffer because of this. Where this makes me sad I see that all of those natural gas kids are going to have great lives because their fathers are able to get jobs being burned. It is just another case of us destroying the lives of black kids.

Put the bong DOWN! :lol:

Abortion disproportionately destroys the lives of black kids......you can thank liberals once again. Just remember what the founder of Planned Parenthood believed. Margaret Sangher believed in aborting MORE black babies because of their inferiority. That's progressivism for ya.....

As for energy, it's clear Obama's plan is driving conventional energy prices up purposefully. This does nothing but kill blue collar jobs, and drive up utility prices which disproportionately hurt the middle and working class.

All in the name of saving mother Earth......using junk science that even MIT is saying isn't conclusive. Hackery.....

Coal is an energy source. The country needs energy. If coal is removed as an energy source, it will be replaced by another form of energy. If jobs are killed in the coal industry, they will be created in the new energy industry.

If jobs are so important to conservatives then why did they support the across the board wholesale firing of thousands of public employees nationwide? Why don't they whine about those jobs, if jobs are all that matters?

Abortion disproportionately destroys the lives of black kids......you can thank liberals once again. Just remember what the founder of Planned Parenthood believed. Margaret Sangher believed in aborting MORE black babies because of their inferiority. That's progressivism for ya.....

As for energy, it's clear Obama's plan is driving conventional energy prices up purposefully. This does nothing but kill blue collar jobs, and drive up utility prices which disproportionately hurt the middle and working class.

All in the name of saving mother Earth......using junk science that even MIT is saying isn't conclusive. Hackery.....

You are trying way too hard.

Back
Top Bottom