• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Clashes with African Host over Gay Rights.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Obama got some smack down put upon him by the Leader of Senegal today. Obama thought he could push the Gay Right Agenda outside the US. He was given an answer he didn't want to here. Then had to make sure he didn't bite his lip and show that bewildered look.

President Barack Obama on Thursday praised the Supreme Court's ruling on same-sex marriage as a "victory for American democracy" but clashed with his African host over gay rights in a sign of how far the movement has to go internationally.

Obama said recognition of gay unions in the United States should cross state lines and that equal rights should be recognized universally. It was his first chance to expand on his thoughts about the ruling, which was issued Wednesday as he flew to Senegal, one of many African countries that outlaw homosexuality.

Senegalese President Macky Sall rebuffed Obama's call for Africans to give gays equal rights under the law.

"We are still not ready to decriminalize homosexuality," Sall said, while insisting that the country is "very tolerant" and needs more time to digest the issue without pressure. "This does not mean we are homophobic."

250209bb7ec4f415350f6a706700fad0.jpg

But Obama said he wants to send a message to Africans that while he respects differing personal and religious views on the matter, it's important to have nondiscrimination under the law.

"People should be treated equally, and that's a principle that I think applies universally," he said.

A report released Monday by Amnesty International says 38 African countries criminalize homosexuality. In four of those — Mauritania, northern Nigeria, southern Somalia and Sudan — the punishment is death. These laws appear to have broad public support. A June 4 Pew Research Center survey found at least nine of 10 respondents in Senegal, Kenya, Ghana, Uganda and Nigeria believe homosexuality should not be accepted by society.

We are in a Muslim country, so we certainly cannot have it here," he said. "And for me it's not OK to have this anywhere in the world."
Sall sought to reassure Obama that gays are not persecuted in Senegal. But under Senegalese law, "an improper or unnatural act with a person of the same sex" can be punished by up to five years in prison.

But such people-powered democratic transitions are not always the story of the African experience. Fighting and human rights abuses limited Obama's options for stops in his first major tour of sub-Saharan Africa since he took office more than four years ago. Obama is avoiding his father's homeland, Kenya, whose president has been charged with war crimes, and Nigeria, the country with the continent's most dominant economy. Nigeria is enveloped in an Islamist insurgency and military crackdown.

Obama's itinerary in Senegal was designed to send a message, purposefully delivered in a French-speaking, Muslim-majority nation, to other Africans in countries that have not made the strides toward democracy that Senegal has.....snip~

Obama clashes with African host over gay rights

Obama was feeling cocky about the SCOTUS ruling and then tried to pass off those thoughts to some African Nations. Looks like those in the Muslims world of the African Nations are saying Gay Rights are Unacceptable anywhere in the world. 39 of their Countries Criminalize those over such a lifestyle. 4 countries put people to death if caught with the same sex, and what they also consider an Unnatural act.

Obama is avoiding Kenya, notice how after he approved the drones for Kenya how fast their President was charged with War Crimes.

"We're not ready to decriminalize homosexuality, but we are NOT homophobic."

That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard.

I wish people would just buck up and own their hate instead of trying to play it off like cowards.

That is not even the funniest part of this. The funniest part is that MMC loves it since the guy criticized Obama. Doesn't matter what the criticism is, if you complain about Obama, you are good to him.

Not as ridiculous as the OP being happy that a Muslim head of state was critical of Obama's support for equal rights.

I wish people would just buck up and own their hate instead of trying to play it off like cowards.

why does fear or contempt have to be the rationality for their policy?

I find your response far more ridiculous.

couldn't they simply be misguided?

I think our policy on how we treat drug addicts pretty stupid. Is everyone that wants to continue to put heroine users in jail scared or have contempt for the users?

Obama got some smack down put upon him by the Leader of Senegal today.

Got the smack down? Hardly, lol. A foreign leader, from a country so backwards on homosexuality that it is criminalized, doesn't agree with his views on the presidents domestic policy. Hardly a "smack down". Typical of todays news culture though. Blow everything out of proportion. Did you criticize someone? Oh then you gave them a smack down. Bunch of crap, lol.

Dude, the guy is spying on all americans legally. Do you really need to go to africa to try and make up something to whine about? You have a real Obamagate finally with him trying to capture the witness from our biggest enemies in the world. Hell, this snowden thing is actually worse than watergate by a lot, and you are worried about him and gays in africa? I do not even get what you are complaining about here. Are we supposed to be bothered because he didn't drone the guy for not decriminalizing homosexuality? IS he supposed to be the secret dictator of africa and they are ignoring him? So africa is homophobic, it is not our country and obama cannot do much about that. hell, he cannot even get americans to work together for much other than spying and killing muslims. he doesn't have to hold his head in shame over DOMA anymore with the rest of the world so give him a break.

"We're not homophobic, we just want to put all gays in prison."

why does fear or contempt have to be the rationality for their policy?

I find your response far more ridiculous.

couldn't they simply be misguided?

I think our policy on how we treat drug addicts pretty stupid. Is everyone that wants to continue to put heroine users in jail scared or have contempt for the users?

There are no other reasons to ban non-violent behavior than contempt or fear. They hate homosexuality, and they want it gone, plain and simple.

People will go off on tangents for days, saying absolutely anything they can, just as long as you don't think what they're saying is coming from a place of hate. Just admit it. I hate stuff too, but I have the balls to admit it.

And yes, our drug policy is horribly ridiculous. And yes, they either are scared, hate drug users, or both.

There are no other reasons to ban non-violent behavior than contempt or fear. They hate homosexuality, and they want it gone, plain and simple.

People will go off on tangents for days, saying absolutely anything they can, just as long as you don't think what they're saying is coming from a place of hate. Just admit it. I hate stuff too, but I have the balls to admit it.

And yes, our drug policy is horribly ridiculous. And yes, they either are scared, hate drug users, or both.

hate and fear are not the only reasons to ban heroin

Obama got some smack down put upon him by the Leader of Senegal today. Obama thought he could push the Gay Right Agenda outside the US. He was given an answer he didn't want to here. Then had to make sure he didn't bite his lip and show that bewildered look.

President Barack Obama on Thursday praised the Supreme Court's ruling on same-sex marriage as a "victory for American democracy" but clashed with his African host over gay rights in a sign of how far the movement has to go internationally.

Obama said recognition of gay unions in the United States should cross state lines and that equal rights should be recognized universally. It was his first chance to expand on his thoughts about the ruling, which was issued Wednesday as he flew to Senegal, one of many African countries that outlaw homosexuality.

Senegalese President Macky Sall rebuffed Obama's call for Africans to give gays equal rights under the law.

"We are still not ready to decriminalize homosexuality," Sall said, while insisting that the country is "very tolerant" and needs more time to digest the issue without pressure. "This does not mean we are homophobic."

250209bb7ec4f415350f6a706700fad0.jpg

But Obama said he wants to send a message to Africans that while he respects differing personal and religious views on the matter, it's important to have nondiscrimination under the law.

"People should be treated equally, and that's a principle that I think applies universally," he said.

A report released Monday by Amnesty International says 38 African countries criminalize homosexuality. In four of those — Mauritania, northern Nigeria, southern Somalia and Sudan — the punishment is death. These laws appear to have broad public support. A June 4 Pew Research Center survey found at least nine of 10 respondents in Senegal, Kenya, Ghana, Uganda and Nigeria believe homosexuality should not be accepted by society.

We are in a Muslim country, so we certainly cannot have it here," he said. "And for me it's not OK to have this anywhere in the world."
Sall sought to reassure Obama that gays are not persecuted in Senegal. But under Senegalese law, "an improper or unnatural act with a person of the same sex" can be punished by up to five years in prison.

But such people-powered democratic transitions are not always the story of the African experience. Fighting and human rights abuses limited Obama's options for stops in his first major tour of sub-Saharan Africa since he took office more than four years ago. Obama is avoiding his father's homeland, Kenya, whose president has been charged with war crimes, and Nigeria, the country with the continent's most dominant economy. Nigeria is enveloped in an Islamist insurgency and military crackdown.

Obama's itinerary in Senegal was designed to send a message, purposefully delivered in a French-speaking, Muslim-majority nation, to other Africans in countries that have not made the strides toward democracy that Senegal has.....snip~

Obama clashes with African host over gay rights

Obama was feeling cocky about the SCOTUS ruling and then tried to pass off those thoughts to some African Nations. Looks like those in the Muslims world of the African Nations are saying Gay Rights are Unacceptable anywhere in the world. 39 of their Countries Criminalize those over such a lifestyle. 4 countries put people to death if caught with the same sex, and what they also consider an Unnatural act.

Obama is avoiding Kenya, notice how after he approved the drones for Kenya how fast their President was charged with War Crimes.

Apparently one can over look the phrase "criminalized homosexuality" so long as its critical of Obama?

Are you seriously so desperate for anything that you can't stand with Obama on the issue of whether or not homosexuality should be criminalized or not? Jesus. Not only that but you're OK with a Muslim Head of State implementing part of their religious law, ie Sharia Law, you're OK with that so long as it's critical of Obama?

I think you should take a hard look in the mirror and think for a moment about what's really important to you, selling out every sense of decency and integrity for a chance to launch a lame attack at Obama? Or you know having some standards?

Not as ridiculous as the OP being happy that a Muslim head of state was critical of Obama's support for equal rights.

Again Conservatives find themselves in bed with the Taliban and Sharia law. It is quite comical but still makes sense. There is not that much difference between them. Both seem to have intense hatred for women and a need to control them as well as persecuting minorities like gays.

hate and fear are not the only reasons to ban heroin

If you have no fear of it effecting you, what reason would there possibly be? (but let's not go off on a tangent about drugs)

I'm just sick of people refusing to buck up to their beliefs. "Oh, I don't hate gay people, I just want to make their lives a living hell and use the government to 'sock-it-to-'em' any chance I get."

Disagreement is not hate.

If you have no fear of it effecting you, what reason would there possibly be? (but let's not go off on a tangent about drugs)

I'm just sick of people refusing to buck up to their beliefs. "Oh, I don't hate gay people, I just want to make their lives a living hell and use the government to 'sock-it-to-'em' any chance I get."

I live in a society were we abandoned tough love. we have a cradle to grave nanny state.

so long as we don't allow junkies to hit rock bottom, I endorse incarceration.

maybe I'm misguided, but I'm not scared. I don't see any reason to use loaded language to deal with this issue either. it wreaks of bigotry to brandish people in such a way.

That is not even the funniest part of this. The funniest part is that MMC loves it since the guy criticized Obama. Doesn't matter what the criticism is, if you complain about Obama, you are good to him.

No worse than the people who refuse to criticize him for anything, even the things that go against the progressive and "very liberal" agenda for which Bush is criticized but not Baracky

No worse than the people who refuse to criticize him for anything, even the things that go against the progressive and "very liberal" agenda for which Bush is criticized but not Baracky

Good thing that is not what is happening here isn't it? Nice try at diverting from MMC's vile post though.

"I don't fear women, Mandrake, but I do deny them my essence."
Actually....

General Jack D. Ripper: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No.
General Jack D. Ripper: But I... I do deny them my essence.

Actually....

General Jack D. Ripper: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No.
General Jack D. Ripper: But I... I do deny them my essence.

So I paraphrased. Sue me.

Again Conservatives find themselves in bed with the Taliban and Sharia law. It is quite comical but still makes sense. There is not that much difference between them. Both seem to have intense hatred for women and a need to control them as well as persecuting minorities like gays.

:shock:

There is not much difference between a Conservative, and a group that performs public executions of women and non-believers?

It always interesting to "view" the theoretical puff of smoke that evidences the vaporization of another liberal/progressive in the arc flash of hate they promote among themselves.

Well done. :applaud

(Although I might suggest you limit such confirming communications to less visible public venues. Must maintain the party of tolerance meme you know)

MMC is a conservative. Your use of the plural in this case is wildly inaccurate.

Back
Top Bottom