• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
YOKOHAMA, Japan (AP) - President Barack Obama claimed a stronger hand on the world stage Friday despite electoral defeats at home, failure to get a free-trade agreement with South Korea and lackluster international support for his get-tough policy with China on trade and currency disputes.

"It wasn't any easier to talk about currency when I was first elected and my poll numbers were at 65 percent," Obama argued at the close of the G-20 summit, after bluntly accusing Beijing of undervaluing its currency.

The president flew to Japan for the APEC summit without the coveted trade pact with Korea or a united front with other countries against China's currency policy. He also endured a gusher of criticism from other countries about a decision by the U.S. central bank to pump $600 billion into the U.S. economy, something China, Germany and others believe could weaken the dollar and lead to inflation.

My Way News - Obama claims strengthened hand in global dealings

:lamo Is this guy Obama for real? He jets across the world to secure a pact that was already pretty much done for him by the previous administration, and in his arrogance manages to blow it up because he thinks he has a better plan. Then he goes to China and pretty much insults our biggest lender, and has the utter gaul to step out and say that he claims a "strengthened hand"?

Maybe he needs to submit to a drug test, because I think he is snorting drugs again. He is without a doubt the most inept President we have had in a long time...

j-mac

Related News:

SEOUL — President Obama’s hopes of emerging from his Asia trip with the twin victories of a free trade agreement with South Korea and a unified approach to spurring global economic growth ran into resistance on all fronts yesterday, putting Obama at odds with his key allies and largest trading partners.
The most concrete trophy expected to emerge from the trip eluded his grasp: a long-delayed free trade agreement with South Korea, first negotiated by the Bush administration and then reopened by Obama, to have greater protections for US workers.

And as officials frenetically tried to paper over differences among the Group of 20 members with a vaguely worded communiqué to be issued today, there was no way to avoid discussion of the fundamental differences of economic strategy. After five largely harmonious meetings in the past two years to deal with the most severe downturn since the Depression, major disputes broke out between Washington and China, Britain, Germany, and Brazil.

Each rejected core elements of Obama’s strategy of stimulating growth before focusing on deficit reduction. Several major nations continued to accuse the Federal Reserve of deliberately devaluing the dollar last week in an effort to put the costs of America’s competitive troubles on trading partners, rather than taking politically tough measures to rein in spending at home.

The result was that Obama repeatedly found himself on the defensive. He and the South Korean president, Lee Myung Bak, had vowed to complete the trade pact by the time they met here; while Obama insisted that it would be resolved “in a matter of weeks,’’ without the pressure of a summit meeting it was unclear how the hurdles on nontariff barriers to US cars and beef would be resolved.

US, South Korea trade accord not a done deal - The Boston Globe

Obama is such a buffoon.

j-mac

From the quoted article, it seem to me that all he is saying is that it wasn't any easier negotiating when he was riding high in the polls than it is now, when he isn't. As for the laughable claim that the previous administration set this up, the attempt to insult our intelligence is noted.

:lamo Is this guy Obama for real? He jets across the world to secure a pact that was already pretty much done for him by the previous administration, and in his arrogance manages to blow it up because he thinks he has a better plan. Then he goes to China and pretty much insults our biggest lender, and has the utter gaul to step out and say that he claims a "strengthened hand"?

Maybe he needs to submit to a drug test, because I think he is snorting drugs again. He is without a doubt the most inept President we have had in a long time...

You made another topic where you criticized him for admitting to America's decreasing relative economic strength in the world, instead saying he could claim and act like America is and always will be in the same position it held since the fall of the Soviet Union.

NOW you are arguing because he "insulted" China, because he's acting like America has the authority and influence to change or influence their monetary policy, which you say is a dumb move.

So what do you want him to do, act like the big kid on the block? Act like China and India are still in the early 90s and late 80s? Or do you want him to acknowledge reality and avoid "insulting" our biggest lender?

O ya, and can you source you're claim that the last administration set this all up.

Yeah Wiseone, and manic, I can see how you missed it trough the selective reading you both tend to do these days.

Here, I'll post it again, and with only the relevant paragraph so that you can focus long enough to take it in.....

The most concrete trophy expected to emerge from the trip eluded his grasp: a long-delayed free trade agreement with South Korea, first negotiated by the Bush administration and then reopened by Obama, to have greater protections for US workers.

got it?

j-mac

Yeah Wiseone, and manic, I can see how you missed it trough the selective reading you both tend to do these days.

Here, I'll post it again, and with only the relevant paragraph so that you can focus long enough to take it in.....

So if one day Obama or some future President manages to create a peace process or assist in one which actually leads to lasting peace between Palestine and Israel, all credit should go to Carter because the one who "first negotiated" the issue?

Also, do you know how much of these negotiations were done by Obama and how much were done by Bush? Who knows how much credit each deserves

j-mac

Take a step back, and look at this post. Is this how an intelligent person opens a conversation on current events?

So if one day Obama or some future President manages to create a peace process or assist in one which actually leads to lasting peace between Palestine and Israel, all credit should go to Carter because the one who "first negotiated" the issue?

Also, do you know how much of these negotiations were done by Obama and how much were done by Bush? Who knows how much credit each deserves

Puhleeze! Really? You do have Google don't you?

The accord, signed in 2007 by negotiators for President George W. Bush, has languished in Washington as lawmakers complained about Korean barriers to exports of U.S. autos and beef. Ford Motor Co. and the United Auto Workers opposed the agreement and sought changes.

South Korean `No Deal' May Damp U.S. Trade Accords Prospects - Bloomberg

After the midterm election losses, Obama “must have been hoping he could come back from an international trip with at least something to at least be able to begin to rebuild,” said Tim Condon, head of Asia research at ING Groep NV in Singapore. “He wasn’t able to bring back the Korea FTA and he was roundly rebuffed at the G-20, so it’s going to be a long flight home for Mr. Obama.”

Obama disputed the notion that clashes over economic and monetary policy at the G-20 and the lack of a free-trade accord with South Korea represented setbacks for the U.S.

Obama Puts `Singles' Instead of Home Runs on Scoreboard in Asia - Bloomberg

This guy can't get anything, the world laughs at him.....All he had to do was close the deal that Bush made, and he couldn't even do that due to his ties to special interests.

j-mac

Take a step back, and look at this post. Is this how an intelligent person opens a conversation on current events?

Do you have any intelligent input? Or just insults? go away.

j-mac

Puhleeze! Really? You do have Google don't you?

Its your responsibilty to back your own arguement. Besides you should ALREADY have a source which backs up what you claim as fact, otherwise your statement came from no where. So where's that source?

Its your responsibilty to back your own arguement. Besides you should ALREADY have a source which backs up what you claim as fact, otherwise your statement came from no where. So where's that source?

OMG! Read the two posted articles.

j-mac

Do you have any intelligent input? Or just insults? go away.

j-mac

If that were the criteria for posting, the original post would not exist.
:2wave:

If that were the criteria for posting, the original post would not exist.
:2wave:

Ok, thanks for that, I conclude your done now....Oh, and with nothing to add? Roger!

j-mac

yesterday's headlines:

nyt: OBAMA'S GLOW DIMS OVERSEAS AS WELL

the globe: OBAMA'S ECONOMIC VIEW REJECTED ON WORLD STAGE

ap: G20 REFUSES TO BACK US PUSH ON CHINESE CURRENCY

national journal: AMERICA'S RODNEY DANGERFIELD MOMENT

ouch...

rodney dangerfield

obama: my international standing soars

LOL!

i give myself a B+

A- when global warming ends and the seas recede

HOURLY UPDATE: Obama’s glow dims overseas as well (11/12, 11 a.m.) :: Headline News

NationalJournal.com - America?s Rodney Dangerfield Moment - Friday, November 12, 2010

US, South Korea trade accord not a done deal - The Boston Globe

G-20 refuses to back US push on China's currency - Yahoo! News

Obama gives himself a B-plus -- an A-minus if health care passes - The Oval: Tracking the Obama presidency

Last edited:
So who here actually knows what the trade deals were about and why the US and South Korea cannot sign a deal? These accords have been ratified since 2007, perhaps its a bit more complex than simply signing a paper?

Good god.

Another day, another thread bitching about Obama.

And some of you have the nerve to call the left whiners.

What was it you guys said during the Bush years?

"He's the president, get over it"

Clearly someone is not following their own advice.

I'll admit I'm having trouble understanding the real details behind these accords, I know the US wants to export more beef and the ROK wants to export more cars. But other are concerned about their domestic markets, especially South Korean beef which is uncommonly expensive.

Other than that, I really don't much. So I'm avoiding having a dead set opinion

tell it to the times, the globe, the journal, ap...

the free trade deal with south korea was killed at least partly (according to the RODNEY DANGERFIELD link) because obama could not persuade the u-a-w to cooperate

concerning china's cheap currency, the g20 bitchslapped obnoxious obama because he was bellyaching about the mandarins' manipulations only days after bernanke bailed 600 more B's of qe

it's in all the links, and there are a dozen more

g20's always lead to lots of elite analyses

read

Good god.

How many fronts does Obama need to fail on ? How bad of a job does he need to do before the sheeple stop following the clown ? The guy has like the Midas touch ... only backwards.

I think it exceedingly fair game that we have the Obama Administration on the one hand telling us about "success" (jobs saved, "hands strengthened", increased transparency, a stronger border, etc) when the abundance of facts tells us otherwise !

watch the video, it will tell you all you need know

RealClearPolitics - Video - Gergen: Obama Had A "Really Bad" Day

no one's spinning here, it's just the apologists aren't quite up on the latest happenings

some highlights from david gergen's little chat with parker/spitzer

how could the president walk into a g20 so uncertain as to its outcome, how could he set himself up for this center ring humiliation

gergen waves the nyt ("obama's economic views rejected on world stage")---this is a bad headline, he had a really bad day

trade with korea fell thru

international action concerning chinese currency rejected

further, he was actively criticized by china, germany, brazil, britain (not to mention france, russia, japan, thailand, south africa...)

bernanke's 600B pump

weakened at home and abroad

went to asia diminished, comes back a double whammy

like i said, no one's spinning, it's exactly what happened

how COULD he walk into a meeting with hu expecting cooperation and NOT foresee the horrible headlines that would appear next day after he failed to realize his fantasy

he literally does not know what he's doing, it shows in his every step

he's rank amateur

i'm very sorry

watch the video, it will tell you all you need know

RealClearPolitics - Video - Gergen: Obama Had A "Really Bad" Day

no one's spinning here, it's just the apologists aren't quite up on the latest happenings

some highlights from david gergen's little chat with parker/spitzer

how could the president walk into a g20 so uncertain as to its outcome, how could he set himself up for this center ring humiliation

gergen waves the nyt ("obama's economic views rejected on world stage")---this is a bad headline, he had a really bad day

trade with korea fell thru

international action concerning chinese currency rejected

further, he was actively criticized by china, germany, brazil, britain (not to mention france, russia, japan, thailand, south africa...)

bernanke's 600B pump

weakened at home and abroad

went to asia diminished, comes back a double whammy

like i said, no one's spinning, it's exactly what happened

how COULD he walk into a meeting with hu expecting cooperation and NOT foresee the horrible headlines that would appear next day after he failed to realize his fantasy

he literally does not know what he's doing, it shows in his every step

he's rank amateur

i'm very sorry

And who is his top Ambassador to the world that is supposed to help get the skids greased so that Obama does not look the fool on the big stage ?

Hillary !! She is either incompetent as SoS, or maybe isn't trying too hard to get it right for Obumbles.

She can see 2012 from her house too.

spot ON!

the clintons are NOTHING but AMBITION

i mean, that couple...

they'd stab ANYTHING that stood between them and POWER

(to be fair, a lot of people would)

did you see on the campaign how bill SPECIFICALLY said he was stumping to reward HILLARY LOYALISTS

how he'd WARNED about the consequences of not electing the woman to whom he's so devoted

Bill Clinton back out campaigning 'for everybody that helped Hillary run for president' against Obama - Telegraph

however, even the usually astute clintons (who stand in obvious contrast to the obstinately oblivious obama) can't see ahead, here

because as SECRETARY OF STATE ms hillary is the FACE of barack hussein's comprehensively BEREFT foreign policy

look at it---from IRAN to CHINA to the MEXICAN CARTELS

from KOREA to PALESTINE to OBAMA'S WAR in afghanistan

hillary and gates are the HAWKS, by the way

they're the impetus which pushed ESCALATION over there

she's too closely connected to the obnoxious one, she IS his foggy bottom

hillary is so TAINTED by all her boss's FAILED international experiments

when's he gonna reach out and talk to the leaders of iran?

when's he gonna close gitmo and try ksm downtown?

why is their answer to the border bother this LAW SUIT vs the PEOPLE of arizona?

hillary's all over it

she's killing herself, her entire future

i would LOVE to campaign against her, my side is LOADED

she needs to get outta there YESTERDAY

she doesn't, however, appear to grasp

look at those hi profile MIDEAST PEACE TALKS she directed, we were told to expect PEACE IN A YEAR

Middle East peace 'in a year' | World news | The Guardian

what happened to the PEACE TALKS?

in INDONESIA he once again gratuitously SLAPPED israel

Obama In Indonesia Criticizes Israel Over Settlement Announcement

it is what it is---universal FAILURE

and when it comes to foreign policy she is its FACE

obama has done more DAMAGE to HIS PARTY than he's managed to press down even on OUR sweaty brows

these people do NOT know what they're doing

all but the fringe recognize

oh well

at least pelosi is gonna keep HER job

Good god.

Once again proving that liberals can sure dish it, but can't take it at all.

j-mac

So after reading 3 pages its easy to tell no one here, including myself, truely understands the actual trade deal and what it may mean. We simply have those who dislike Obama using it to show he can't accomplish something, even though they don't even know what that something is.

So after reading 3 pages its easy to tell no one here, including myself, truely understands the actual trade deal and what it may mean. We simply have those who dislike Obama using it to show he can't accomplish something, even though they don't even know what that something is.

Wait a minute here, who appointed you the final arbiter? Pretty arrogant of you dude. In any case you put a finger on it, having to do with car exports, and beef imports from SK's stand point, however what you didn't offer is that the deal was essentially done under Bush, and because Obama's masters in the union didn't like the deal, they sent him to tinker with it, causing a no deal situation. Good job!

Can you tell us one damned thing in foreign policy that Obama has won since taking office? He is a loser plain and simple.

j-mac

Back
Top Bottom