• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Cancels Meeting with Russia's Putin over Snowden Decision.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Looks like Snowden and that issue has now taken it's toll. Even though Obama wont meet with Putin. Kerry and Hagel with still meet with their counterparts. Although Jay Carney should check a bit more into what cooperation actually means. Do you think that Russia will Now cooperate with us all because of this? I think Putin is laughing his ass off. Knowing there is nothing we can do about Snowden while he is in Russia.

President Barack Obama on Wednesday abruptly canceled a Moscow summit with President Vladimir Putin planned for next month in a retaliation for Russia's decision to grant asylum to fugitive U.S. spy agency contractor Edward Snowden.

r

The cancellation marks a stark low point in U.S.-Russian relations in the years since Obama embarked on a "reset" in ties to try to gain more diplomatic cooperation, only to find that deep differences remain.

"Following a careful review begun in July, we have reached the conclusion that there is not enough recent progress in our bilateral agenda with Russia to hold a U.S.-Russia summit in early September," White House spokesman Jay Carney said in a statement.

The Russian government expressed disappointment at the decision, which means Obama will skip Moscow talks with Putin but still attend a G20 summit in St. Petersburg September 5-6. Obama will stop in Sweden on September 4 to replace the Moscow visit.

Obama cancels meeting with Russia's Putin over Snowden decision | Reuters

The US and Russia will always have very different interests in the world. IMO, in private Obama is thrilled that Snowden's stuck in Russia, but he can't come out and say it. Putting Snowden on trial just puts the NSA on trial. Leave him in Russia and everybody will forget about him before too long. We would probably do the same thing for a "Russian Snowden."

Yeah, Obama is a whiner and a cry baby when he doesn't get his way. What else is new?

Yeah, Obama is a whiner and a cry baby when he doesn't get his way. What else is new?

If he did go to the meeting, you'd criticize him for that.

The US and Russia will always have very different interests in the world. IMO, in private Obama is thrilled that Snowden's stuck in Russia, but he can't come out and say it. Putting Snowden on trial just puts the NSA on trial. Leave him in Russia and everybody will forget about him before too long. We would probably do the same thing for a "Russian Snowden."

Heya Rockett. :2wave: I was thinking about the Coverage and what all could come out. So I think that is a good idea as long as Snowden doesn't release anything else. Course then there is that issue of Putin getting what he wants out of Snowden himself. Especially anything he can use.

Already Johnny Quest McCain has tweeted his approval to Obama. So he is getting Kudo's from both sides on this.

Although.....the Democrats might want to take Schumer out of that process. No need to keep that sniveling weak puke in Government any longer.

Heya Rockett. :2wave: I was thinking about the Coverage and what all could come out. So I think that is a good idea as long as Snowden doesn't release anything else. Course then there is that issue of Putin getting what he wants out of Snowden himself. Especially anything he can use.

Already Johnny Quest McCain has tweeted his approval to Obama. So he is getting Kudo's from both sides on this.

Although.....the Democrats might want to take Schumer out of that process. No need to keep that sniveling weak puke in Government any longer.

I doubt Snowden really has any secrets they want. When it comes to surveillance on their own citizens, we probably have more to learn from Putin than he does from us!

Looks like Snowden and that issue has now taken it's toll. Even though Obama wont meet with Putin. Kerry and Hagel with still meet with their counterparts. Although Jay Carney should check a bit more into what cooperation actually means. Do you think that Russia will Now cooperate with us all because of this? I think Putin is laughing his ass off. Knowing there is nothing we can do about Snowden while he is in Russia.

President Barack Obama on Wednesday abruptly canceled a Moscow summit with President Vladimir Putin planned for next month in a retaliation for Russia's decision to grant asylum to fugitive U.S. spy agency contractor Edward Snowden.

r

The cancellation marks a stark low point in U.S.-Russian relations in the years since Obama embarked on a "reset" in ties to try to gain more diplomatic cooperation, only to find that deep differences remain.

"Following a careful review begun in July, we have reached the conclusion that there is not enough recent progress in our bilateral agenda with Russia to hold a U.S.-Russia summit in early September," White House spokesman Jay Carney said in a statement.

The Russian government expressed disappointment at the decision, which means Obama will skip Moscow talks with Putin but still attend a G20 summit in St. Petersburg September 5-6. Obama will stop in Sweden on September 4 to replace the Moscow visit.

Obama cancels meeting with Russia's Putin over Snowden decision | Reuters

Even at the height of the Cold War, the US President would still meet with the Russian PM. Obama needs to knock that chip off his shoulder, and stop wearing his emotions on his sleeve like some angsty teenager. Not only is this extremely insulting, it makes us look weak. At least Kerry and Hagel are man enough to honor their obligations and duties. Maybe they can get Obama a Fabergé baby bottle to suck on while they're in Russia, meeting with the people they said they were going to meet with.

You still don't know what that word means do you?

How about rather than derail yet another thread, as you so frequently do, you just quit flooding it with your lame crap?

If he did go to the meeting, you'd criticize him for that.

So ironic people like Arbo calling him a whiny cry baby...

Obama could rescue people like Arbo from a burning building and he'd still find a way to bitch about it.

This case is especially hilarious as you pointed out because.

He cancels meeting with Putin - "What a cry baby, he didn't get his way.

He meets with Putin - "I can't believe he'd meet with a foreign head of state harbouring a traitor to the nation. Just shows He's got no back bone".

Now THAT'S a pathetic cry baby.

Obama could rescue people like Arbo from a burning building and he'd still find a way to bitch about it.

He meets with Putin - "I can't believe he'd meet with a foreign head of state harbouring a traitor to the nation. Just shows He's got no back bone".

I personally think Obama should go through with the meeting. But I understand why he thinks he can't.

International tit-for -tats:

1) TIT - US puts certain Russian citizens on a blacklist TAT: Russia suspends adoptions by Americans
2) TIT- Russia gives asylum to Snowden. TAT: US cancels summit meeting.

More stupidity ... When will you guys ever learn to actually pay attention and live in reality rather than that twisted fantasyland you all call home?

Obama has always been a whining little bitch, as another poster said, like a kid with a chip on his shoulder. There are loads of examples of such behavior throughout his presidency.

But to slam the door shut on your stupidity and false fantasy of what I might have said had he had the meeting... Snowden has done the citizens of the US and the world a great favor in putting out stuff our government has been desperately trying to hide.

I doubt Snowden really has any secrets they want. When it comes to surveillance on their own citizens, we probably have more to learn from Putin than he does from us!

I am sure Putin if not him.....others. Would be quite interested in looking at How the NSA operates with certain matters. I doubt we can get round this fact.

I personally think Obama should go through with the meeting. But I understand why he thinks he can't.

International tit-for -tats:

1) TIT - US puts certain Russian citizens on a blacklist TAT: Russia suspends adoptions by Americans
2) TIT- Russia gives asylum to Snowden. TAT: US cancels summit meeting.

Well and then that part over Syria.

1. US gives weapons to Rebels. 2. US gives weapons to AQ. 3. US attempts to hand the Sunni another Country to run. 4. Russians say that's not happening.

More stupidity ... When will you guys ever learn to actually pay attention and live in reality rather than that twisted fantasyland you all call home?

Obama has always been a whining little bitch, as another poster said, like a kid with a chip on his shoulder. There are loads of examples of such behavior throughout his presidency.

But to slam the door shut on your stupidity and false fantasy of what I might have said had he had the meeting... Snowden has done the citizens of the US and the world a great favor in putting out stuff our government has been desperately trying to hide.

Maybe I'm just being obtuse but it seems to me you guys agree and yet you argue with each other.

Obama is being childish because he is in a no-win situation with Snowden. Obama chose to try to keep a secret that thousands of people knew about. Then one of those thousands opened his mouth and embarrassed Secret Keeper In Chief.

Instead of just letting life go on, apologizing and letting Snowden quietly disappear, Obama decides to stir the pot some more.

Hopefully our "great Al Qaeda threat" will distract everyone:roll:

Using that twisted logic, so did Manning. However, the right calls Manning a traitor and praises Snowden. Both should be behind bars.

This could be predicted since over the past week or so many sane heads on both sides of the political spectrum had indicated that the Snowden issue should not stand in the way of the many other issues confronting US/Russia relations. The Obama administration can always be counted on to do either nothing or the direct opposite of what most sane people would do.

What's the end-game here? Does Obama really think Putin is going to bow to his wishes? Not bloody likely. And how does Obama gracefully extricate his foot out of his mouth in a few weeks, a month, a year?

This totally smacks of spite on the part of Obama because Snowden let the cat out of the bag and has embarrassed him. It's not related to what the US government and peoples' needs may be - it's totally related to Snowden getting under Obama's skin.

Using that twisted logic, so did Manning. However, the right calls Manning a traitor and praises Snowden. Both should be behind bars.

I don't give a crap what 'the right' says. If you bring forth to the citizens, wrongdoing by the government, you are a hero. Period.

Not many on the Right are praising Snowden.....he is a traitor, and so too is Manning.

I don't give a crap what 'the right' says. If you bring forth to the citizens, wrongdoing by the government, you are a hero. Period.

So you think Manning is a hero?

So you think Manning is a hero?

I have no idea, I haven't paid attention to him or the 'charges' or what he did. But if he brought to light crap the government was doing illegally, against the constitution, then yeah, he is.

Back
Top Bottom