• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Calls for ‘Civilian Force’ as Large as the Military

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
That would be his new brown shirt Gestapo army, populated with Mexican illegals, Black Panthers, SEIU thugs, and other assorted criminals, all to keep the right-winged Tea Partiers in line.

That would be his new brown shirt Gestapo army, populated with Mexican illegals, Black Panthers, SEIU thugs, and other assorted criminals, all to keep the right-winged Tea Partiers in line.

I was thinking the same thing i mean techniqully one could call the National Gaurd as a civilian military but the NG is at least controlled by the state its in, unlike this new civilian SS that would be under direct control from Barry Soturo ( Obama)

Is Obama planning a Gestapo-like "civilian national security force"?
I read a quote from Rep. Paul Broun from Georgia which stated that Obama wants to set up a civilian national security force that was similar to the "Gestapo" or the Nazi Brownshirts.

What is the truth behind Obama's statements that he wants to create a "civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded [as the military]"?

This false claim is a badly distorted version of Obama's call for doubling the Peace Corps, creating volunteer networks and increasing the size of the Foreign Service.
This question stems from an interview that Republican Rep. Broun of Georgia gave to The Associated Press Nov. 10. The story carried a headline, "Georgia congressman warns of Obama dictatorship." It said that Broun "fears that President-elect Obama will establish a Gestapo-like security force to impose a Marxist or fascist dictatorship." And it quoted him this way:

Rep. Paul Broun, Nov. 10: It may sound a bit crazy and off base, but the thing is, he's [Obama's] the one who proposed this national security force. ... That's exactly what Hitler did in Nazi Germany and it's exactly what the Soviet Union did.

Similar claims have been circulating in right-leaning blogs and conservative Web sites ever since July, when Obama made a single reference to a "civilian national security force" in a campaign speech in Colorado. Obama's detractors make much of his expansive (and exaggerated) description of such a force as being "just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded" as the U.S. military. They also ignore the context.

Obama was not talking about a "security force" with guns or police powers. He was talking specifically about expanding AmeriCorps and the Peace Corps and the USA Freedom Corps, which is the volunteer initiative launched by the Bush administration after the attacks of 9/11, and about increasing the number of trained Foreign Service officers who populate U.S. embassies overseas.

Here is the relevant portion of what Obama actually said, with the sentences quoted selectively by Broun and others in bold.

Obama, July 2, Colorado Springs, CO: [As] president I will expand AmeriCorps to 250,000 slots [from 75,000] and make that increased service a vehicle to meet national goals, like providing health care and education, saving our planet and restoring our standing in the world, so that citizens see their effort connected to a common purpose.

People of all ages, stations and skills will be asked to serve. Because when it comes to the challenges we face, the American people are not the problem – they are the answer. So we are going to send more college graduates to teach and mentor our young people. We'll call on Americans to join an energy corps, to conduct renewable energy and environmental clean-up projects in their neighborhoods all across the country.

We will enlist our veterans to find jobs and support for other vets, and to be there for our military families. And we're going to grow our Foreign Service, open consulates that have been shuttered and double the size of the Peace Corps by 2011 to renew our diplomacy. We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set.

We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded. We need to use technology to connect people to service. We'll expand USA Freedom Corps to create online networks where American can browse opportunities to volunteer. You'll be able to search by category, time commitment and skill sets. You'll be able to rate service opportunities, build service networks, and create your own service pages to track your hours and activities.

This will empower more Americans to craft their own service agenda and make their own change from the bottom up.

Does that sound like a force that could kick down your door in the middle of the night and haul you off to a Gulag or concentration camp? You decide.

FactCheck.org: Is Obama planning a Gestapo-like "civilian national security force"?

It's a ****ing disgrace to all the people who died under the Nazi regime, to equate your Right Wing Propoganda to this...

You dishonor the memory of those innocent souls who died under the Nazi Regime when you try to compare the Obama administration to it...

Maybe when you actually attack the Obama administration on something solid I'll take you seriously... til then have fun believing this quite frankly offensive drivel.

FactCheck.org: Is Obama planning a Gestapo-like "civilian national security force"?

It's a ****ing disgrace to all the people who died under the Nazi regime, to equate your Right Wing Propoganda to this...

You dishonor the memory of those innocent souls who died under the Nazi Regime when you try to compare the Obama administration to it...

Maybe when you actually attack the Obama administration on something solid I'll take you seriously... til then have fun believing this quite frankly offensive drivel.

wow it never fails to amaze me how offended liberals get over everything so touchy, but anyway this is why we studie history is so we dont repeat the past, and so if something appears to be like something from the past ofcourse were going to make comparisons, so no this does not discrace anyone in anyway if were to discrace them we would be bashing them directly but all were making is a comparison on what we see.

wow it never fails to amaze me how offended liberals get over everything so touchy, but anyway this is why we studie history is so we dont repeat the past, and so if something appears to be like something from the past ofcourse were going to make comparisons, so no this does not discrace anyone in anyway if were to discrace them we would be bashing them directly but all were making is a comparison on what we see.

First of all... I do not adhere to your dogmatic labels of "Liberal this or liberal that" so you show your ignorance by attempting to put me in a little box called "Liberal" and somehow that makes my point mute, which it does not.

I have studied history... I suggest you do the same and stop these silly comparisons which have no basis in fact or reality... I suggest some reading for you

Amazon.com: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany (9780671728687): William L. Shirer: Books

Once you've read that book which details quite specifically the Nazis rise to power, the brown shirts and everything after, then we'll talk.

But the comparisons of Obama to Hitler and Nazi Germany are getting old... as I seem to recall I don't think Obama has ever had rhetoric that included extermination of Jews... world domination... aggression against minorities or homosexuals and the glorification of a master race... so ENOUGH with the ****ing Nazi Germany comparisons.

I agree that it is a good thing to study history, but that would depend on who wrote this history.

I was thinking the same thing i mean techniqully one could call the National Gaurd as a civilian military but the NG is at least controlled by the state its in, unlike this new civilian SS that would be under direct control from Barry Soturo ( Obama)

Umm, no the National Guard isn't a civilian military. The National Guard fills any number of roles.

On one level, it is an organization for state militias. In this regard, it is a "state military" that can work with state agencies and domestic federal agencies.

It is also a reservist force for the military. The National Guard can be called for overseas service working with the branches of the U.S. military.

The National Guard can also be federalized and used for domestic purposes on behalf of the federal government under very specific circumstances, which mostly covers riots or civil disturbances. Otherwise, the federal government has no military powers on domestic soil - this is the Posse Commitatus Act, and it was passed by Southern Senators after Reconstruction to limit federal power in the South.

This is why Obama, and others, are calling for a "civilian force" as large as the military - because the federal government has very few powers to deal with domestic issues.

One example of this was during Hurricane Katrina. President Bush tried to assert his authority to secure New Orleans during the aftermath, but was prohibited from doing so because of Posse Commitatus. He even went so far as to try to get a U.S. Army officer sworn into the Louisiana National Guard, but that didn't go through.

So, more likely than not, such a civilian force would be most likely geared towards riot control and federal response to manmade and natural disasters. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the National Guard was federalized more but made a purely domestic force and unable by law to be deployed overseas for these reasons. I also think the National Guard along with the Coast Guard be attached to the Department of Homeland Security instead of the Department of Defense as it is now.

So while there are fears of some kind of personal army, such a force would mostly be used for federal disaster response. I don't know how the specifics of it should work, because it will all be quite political, but I do think that the federal government should have a better ability to respond to domestic crises and disasters, and I think that's how it should be geared towards.

I agree that it is a good thing to study history, but that would depend on who wrote this history.

Oh yeah, we wouldn't want history to disagree with us now would we :roll:

So we can find rediculous comparisons between Obama and Nazi Germany so we can win an election in November ;)

:peace

You know, I would like to believe your premise, but every time the Tea Partiers have a rally and some group of SEIU thugs show up to start trouble, It makes me think back to the tactics used by the Brown Shirt thugs against Jews and their businesses in Germany.

Oh yeah, we wouldn't want history to disagree with us now would we :roll:

So we can find rediculous comparisons between Obama and Nazi Germany so we can win an election in November ;)

:peace

If Obama was a decent leader, you wouldn't be worrying about the elections in November. Looks like you supported a wannabee despot.

You know, I would like to believe your premise, but every time the Tea Partiers have a rally and some group of SEIU thugs show up to start trouble, It makes me think back to the tactics used by the Brown Shirt thugs against Jews and their businesses in Germany.

Kristallnacht - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suggest you go and read a little before making such a comparison.

Unless this SEIU is an invention of Obama and under his direct control like the Brown Shirts were to Hitler... then you are sadly mistaking.

First of all... I do not adhere to your dogmatic labels of "Liberal this or liberal that" so you show your ignorance by attempting to put me in a little box called "Liberal" and somehow that makes my point mute, which it does not.

I have studied history... I suggest you do the same and stop these silly comparisons which have no basis in fact or reality... I suggest some reading for you

Amazon.com: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany (9780671728687): William L. Shirer: Books

Once you've read that book which details quite specifically the Nazis rise to power, the brown shirts and everything after, then we'll talk.

But the comparisons of Obama to Hitler and Nazi Germany are getting old... as I seem to recall I don't think Obama has ever had rhetoric that included extermination of Jews... world domination... aggression against minorities or homosexuals and the glorification of a master race... so ENOUGH with the ****ing Nazi Germany comparisons.

Now see i wasnt comparing Oboma to Nazi Germany only his "civilian military" that he wants to create, lol and as far as labels go you can call it black, white, or blue but if you lean one way ( which i can tell you probably do ) then thats what you are no matter what you call it.

Umm, no the National Guard isn't a civilian military. The National Guard fills any number of roles.

On one level, it is an organization for state militias. In this regard, it is a "state military" that can work with state agencies and domestic federal agencies.

It is also a reservist force for the military. The National Guard can be called for overseas service working with the branches of the U.S. military.

The National Guard can also be federalized and used for domestic purposes on behalf of the federal government under very specific circumstances, which mostly covers riots or civil disturbances. Otherwise, the federal government has no military powers on domestic soil - this is the Posse Commitatus Act, and it was passed by Southern Senators after Reconstruction to limit federal power in the South.

This is why Obama, and others, are calling for a "civilian force" as large as the military - because the federal government has very few powers to deal with domestic issues.

One example of this was during Hurricane Katrina. President Bush tried to assert his authority to secure New Orleans during the aftermath, but was prohibited from doing so because of Posse Commitatus. He even went so far as to try to get a U.S. Army officer sworn into the Louisiana National Guard, but that didn't go through.

So, more likely than not, such a civilian force would be most likely geared towards riot control and federal response to manmade and natural disasters. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the National Guard was federalized more but made a purely domestic force and unable by law to be deployed overseas for these reasons. I also think the National Guard along with the Coast Guard be attached to the Department of Homeland Security instead of the Department of Defense as it is now.

So while there are fears of some kind of personal army, such a force would mostly be used for federal disaster response. I don't know how the specifics of it should work, because it will all be quite political, but I do think that the federal government should have a better ability to respond to domestic crises and disasters, and I think that's how it should be geared towards.
Actually the National Guard can be deployed in national emergencies and civil unrest, as it was done in Los Angeles during the riots over Rodney King. What the national Guard can not do is engage in armed conflict against the civilian population.

Now see i wasnt comparing Oboma to Nazi Germany only his "civilian military" that he wants to create, lol and as far as labels go you can call it black, white, or blue but if you lean one way ( which i can tell you probably do ) then thats what you are no matter what you call it.

Well either way your point has been debunked, if you actually bothered to read my first post which I doubt you did, wouldn't want facts to get in the way now would you? ;)

Lean one way? All I merely try to do mostly in this forum is try to ground the conversation and bring it back to reality... and since you lean so much into the abyss, that you make these kinds of comparisons I doubt I'll be able to do that for you.

I just wonder if you've ever used this same little speech when your buddies on the left use terms like "reich wing". I haven't seen it, but maybe you have. If you have, please provide a link.

I just wonder if you've ever used this same little speech when your buddies on the left use terms like "reich wing". I haven't seen it, but maybe you have. If you have, please provide a link.

Dude, buy me a pot of Irish Coffee and send it over to my house, and I'll go through my posts to find where I have told both right and left that Bush was not like Hitler and Obama was not like Hitler and that the comparisons are silly... but I simply cannot be asked to go through em all.

The thing is what I find stupid is that people compare things to Hitler and his regime to often when they have no argument left. Even comparing Obama regime too Nazi Germany is stupid, and people need to learn their history.

oh and Jet thanks for some reading material.

Dude, buy me a pot of Irish Coffee and send it over to my house, and I'll go through my posts to find where I have told both right and left that Bush was not like Hitler and Obama was not like Hitler and that the comparisons are silly... but I simply cannot be asked to go through em all.

Of course. Like I said, maybe you have and I haven't seen it.

Of course. Like I said, maybe you have and I haven't seen it.

I'll tell you what, I'll search a few pages and see if I can find em, but I have said it.

Better yet I'll do a whole blog on it which I'll link to yah.

The thing is what I find stupid is that people compare things to Hitler and his regime to often when they have no argument left. Even comparing Obama regime too Nazi Germany is stupid, and people need to learn their history.

oh and Jet thanks for some reading material.

I think some here not all compare Obama to Hitler in his early days before the formation of the Nazi party or the Third Reich, in which case there can be comparisons made.

I think some here not all compare Obama to Hitler in his early days before the formation of the Nazi party or the Third Reich, in which case there can be comparisons made.

No, there can't.

Well either way your point has been debunked, if you actually bothered to read my first post which I doubt you did, wouldn't want facts to get in the way now would you? ;)

Lean one way? All I merely try to do mostly in this forum is try to ground the conversation and bring it back to reality... and since you lean so much into the abyss, that you make these kinds of comparisons I doubt I'll be able to do that for you.

haha ok you do that, either way i see it Hitlers brownshirts were basicly his personal army and when i see Oboma wanting to establish a personal civilain army that is under his control i start to worry that history will repeat itself.

haha ok you do that, either way i see it Hitlers brownshirts were basicly his personal army and when i see Oboma wanting to establish a personal civilain army that is under his control i start to worry that history will repeat itself.

I see someone still hasn't read my first post...

Back
Top Bottom