• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama blamed for Katrina

greengirl77

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Louisiana Republicans blame Obama for Katrina | MinnPost

This is a very good reason why Republicans are on the brink of losing everything. Do they really hate this man that much they blame him for something he had no control over. Hell the man was a Senator at that point. Will Republicans blame him for the Holocaust next. Wait a minute I just gave Glen Beck, Sister Sarah, and the Whack job Bachmann their next talking points!

This is a very good reason why Republicans are on the brink of losing everything. Do they really hate this man that much they blame him for something he had no control over. Hell the man was a Senator at that point. Will Republicans blame him for the Holocaust next. Wait a minute I just gave Glen Beck, Sister Sarah, and the Whack job Bachmann their next talking points!

This has been posted here a large number of times. Just letting you know.

It needs to be posted over and over until the 40 % in the middle get it through their thick heads who the enemy within is.
This has been posted here a large number of times. Just letting you know.

It needs to be posted over and over until the 40 % in the middle get it through their thick heads who the enemy within is.

The "enemy" (although I don't look at them that way) are all the nutblades on the extremes. The right doesn't hold a patent on dumb@$$es; the left shares in that ownership as well.

As for the middle folks, like me, recognizing the "aluminum foil hat" crowd, the "WTF did he say?" crowd and the "Dude, please read a history book." crowd, is pretty dang easy. The OP describes both the second and third crowd in one.

This board has its share of all of the above.

The problem is not with those of us in the middle (and the middle is about 70%-80% of beliefs) recognizing where these crowds reside, but with those that are ideologically similar to those crowds that only recognize the polar opposite, and not the extremes that they are standing near, or in.

I know, right? :doh :2brickwal

The "enemy" (although I don't look at them that way) are all the nutblades on the extremes. The right doesn't hold a patent on dumb@$$es; the left shares in that ownership as well.
From a Present Moment Awareness POV, this era of 2013 is like no other, no matter the POTUS. It is the Internet. I'm surprised Boehner chose not to meet with the Russian delegation coming here next week to lobby our Congress against attacking Syria? Do you see a problem with Russians doing that?

I hope our Israeli friends remember who rebuffed them at this time. And having open hearings so that multiple Joe Wilsons can play politics with Benghazi,etc.? Why the **** are these hearings open when we're talking war? This is before the fact. Iran-Contra was after the fact.

Why does every ****ing poster in the world know where our Navy is stationed? I'll tell you why. To trash Obama. This is why they are the enemy within. The age of freedom with the internet and anyone in this Nation being able to trash the hALfrican-American POTUS just for the sake of it.

Repubs answer with what about what was said about Bush? What about it? Because he lied, Obama's hands are tied. But wait. Repubs voted no against Kosovo also but yes for Iraq-one. That's two for four for Repubs and 4 for 4 for Dems. Who is playing politics with defense?

The thread is slightly misleading. Nobody seems to blame Obama for Katrina, just his poor response.... to an event he wasn't even around to be president for. However tit for tat, if you compare Obama's track record on natural disasters and some man made ones, he's got general praise from everyone. The same Republican members who 8 years ago were saying what happened to NOLA was the fault of local authorities had to grind their teeth hearing Jindal and Christie praise Obama's federal government and its response.

Or maybe the respondents had a sense of humor and realized that this sham poll was a sham. ;)

Is it that he's being blamed for the hurricane itself or for a perceived poor response from the federal government?

This leads Milbank to suggest that "a substantial number of Republican voters will agree to something they know to be false if it puts Obama in a bad light."
How many people are actually honest with pollsters?

I'm not!

The thread is slightly misleading. Nobody seems to blame Obama for Katrina, just his poor response.... to an event he wasn't even around to be president for. However tit for tat, if you compare Obama's track record on natural disasters and some man made ones, he's got general praise from everyone. The same Republican members who 8 years ago were saying what happened to NOLA was the fault of local authorities had to grind their teeth hearing Jindal and Christie praise Obama's federal government and its response.

I was in NOLA for Katrina. I was contracted as a consultant for the government.

The White House was BEGGING the Governor of Louisiana to ask for the help (DFA - Direct Federal Assistance). FEMA even wrote the request themselves, and hand delivered it to the governor. She wouldn't sign it.

The Bush White House made that public, and then the President pulled it, so as not to embarrass the governor.

Just next door in Mississippi, their governor requested DFA and even though they were hit much harder than NOLA, they didn't have half the problems because the Feds went in early due to having the governor's request in hand.

The states hit by Sandy requested DFA before the storm even made landfall. They learned from NOLA and Louisiana's failure during Katrina.

FEMA can only do what they are directed to do, once the President receives the request and approves the request. That's the way the law is set up (the Robert T. Stafford Act, P.L. 93-288, as amended).

Jumping on Bush, or Obama, or any other President for the failures of state governments is at the very least, uninformed, and the very most, an ignorant application of ideological partisanship.

Disaster recovery is what I do for a living.

From a Present Moment Awareness POV, this era of 2013 is like no other, no matter the POTUS. It is the Internet. I'm surprised Boehner chose not to meet with the Russian delegation coming here next week to lobby our Congress against attacking Syria? Do you see a problem with Russians doing that?

I hope our Israeli friends remember who rebuffed them at this time. And having open hearings so that multiple Joe Wilsons can play politics with Benghazi,etc.? Why the **** are these hearings open when we're talking war? This is before the fact. Iran-Contra was after the fact.

Why does every ****ing poster in the world know where our Navy is stationed? I'll tell you why. To trash Obama. This is why they are the enemy within. The age of freedom with the internet and anyone in this Nation being able to trash the hALfrican-American POTUS just for the sake of it.

Repubs answer with what about what was said about Bush? What about it? Because he lied, Obama's hands are tied. But wait. Repubs voted no against Kosovo also but yes for Iraq-one. That's two for four for Repubs and 4 for 4 for Dems. Who is playing politics with defense?

You have just put yourself squarely in the "WTF did he say?" crowd.

Nicely done. :damn

As for the middle folks, like me, recognizing the "aluminum foil hat" crowd, the "WTF did he say?" crowd and the "Dude, please read a history book." crowd, is pretty dang easy. The OP describes both the second and third crowd in one.

This board has its share of all of the above.

The problem is not with those of us in the middle (and the middle is about 70%-80% of beliefs) recognizing where these crowds reside, but with those that are ideologically similar to those crowds that only recognize the polar opposite, and not the extremes that they are standing near, or in.

Get out of here with your moderate perspective. We're bashing Republicans because Dems and Dem voters do no wrong. We don't need your kind muddying the waters.

Get out of here with your moderate perspective. We're bashing Republicans because Dems and Dem voters do no wrong. We don't need your kind muddying the waters.

My bad... (sulks and walks away slowly with head hanging low)

You have just put yourself squarely in the "WTF did he say?" crowd.

Nicely done. :damn

I'll go slower. Administration officials for Bush Lied. Now members from the same party want Obama's hands tied.

And don't expect Obama to get any credit for a positive jobs report today.

I'll go slower. Administration officials for Bush Lied. Now members from the same party want Obama's hands tied.

And don't expect Obama to get any credit for a positive jobs report today.

I know I'll regret this attempt, but... Administration officials for Bush Lied about what exactly regarding Katrina? Care to elaborate?

Well now, that was a bit of derailment by me. I was thinking of Iraq 2, though I do feel sorry for Bush. I am pretty well upset about everyone in the World knowing our business BEFORE the fact of war, if it comes.

As for LA Repubs, it is disgusting how zero Repubs feel it necessary to walk back any of this garbage. They only have themselves to blame for weakening this POTUS. I'm tired of the Repub revision of history game. Today is not a game and our enemies overseas are not playing.

I know I'll regret this attempt, but... Administration officials for Bush Lied about what exactly regarding Katrina? Care to elaborate?

Well now, that was a bit of derailment by me. I was thinking of Iraq 2, though I do feel sorry for Bush. I am pretty well upset about everyone in the World knowing our business BEFORE the fact of war, if it comes.
On this I'm in total agreement with you.

As for LA Repubs, it is disgusting how zero Repubs feel it necessary to walk back any of this garbage. They only have themselves to blame for weakening this POTUS. I'm tired of the Repub revision of history game. Today is not a game and our enemies overseas are not playing.
This, I just don't get where your correlation stems from.

This, I just don't get where your correlation stems from.

Katrina(er) = Birth(er) >> The point is that America has become numb to the intellectually challenged Republicans and all of the liquid manure they spray on Obama. Tar-and-feather comes to mind. The rodeo clown. None of it gets walked back. This GOP has no conscience.

Last edited:
Katrina(er) = Birth(er) >> The point is that America has become numb to the intellectually challenged Republicans and all of the liquid manure they spray on Obama. Tar-and-feather comes to mind. The rodeo clown. None of it gets walked back. This GOP has no conscience.

Okay. Now we're back to... WTF??? Dude, your trying to connect dots that are obviously written with invisible ink.

Okay. Now we're back to... WTF??? Dude, your trying to connect dots that are obviously written with invisible ink.

I know, right? I'm like, wtf?

Looks like Louisiana isn't much different from anywhere else when it comes to smarts, (or the lack thereof.) :roll:

I love NOLA. <sigh>

OK. You take a turn. Answer the question, here it is, right from the poll;
""Who[m] do you think was more responsible for the poor response to Hurricane Katrina: George W. Bush or Barack Obama?"

You, i'm 99.9999999% sure will say Bush. You are a lib.

Had I been asked that question and decided to answer it, I would have said Obama. I am not a lib. Plus, the initial poor response to that hurricane was the fault of the Governor of Louisiana and the Mayor of New Orleans. Libs. They didn't listen to Bush. So like all people capable of thought, I didn't blame that one on Bush. However, after Obama became President, he also had trouble of his own with Katrina. He wasn't spending all the recovery money that had already been approved and allocated for that disaster. So maybe people that are aware of Obama's lack of response in that neck of the woods at this point in time, feel the responsibility is his.

Maybe those kind of reasons are why the republicans are doing quite well in many elections. Even in Louisiana.

Then you'll have to admit that Governor Blanco (Democrat) and Mayor Nagin (Democrat) were largely responsible for the Katrina debacle. Nearly 1,000 lives lost because NOLA Evacuation plans were not followed. The image that impressed me most were all those school buses uselessly flooded when they could have been used to evacuate all those victims before the flooding. Why did Gov. Blanco refuse entry of FEMA supplies? Were Blanco and Nagin told by Democrat leaders to refuse to cooperate with FEMA and Bush? That question was never asked.

But why go over old ground and point fingers. It's over and we can only pass judgment on what is happening today with the president that supposedly the people re-elected. Has this president advanced the freedom, security and prosperity of the American people, or has he imposed restrictions on those items mentioned. Above all has our president violated our Constitution by Executive Order? Just look at the indecisiveness of the president on Syria. Decisions that should have occurred months ago were left unmade on Syria, while Democrats and obfuscate incompetent scandals.

Back
Top Bottom