• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama and Holder give the green light on legal pot.

I happen to agree that it is time to legalize all drugs. But not make them either cheap or glamorized. You should be of age, you should require a prescription, you should have a license and drugs should be sold by the State in a functional supply store. No advertising, no promotion.
Prescription? These drugs are recreational. Meth isn't prescribed for any known ailment. I agree no advertising and no promotion but definitely cheap and available.

I agree that pot is a Euphoric, not a narcotic, but I'm not certain that it's any "better" than Meth or Heroin. They all have their time and place. If you abuse instead of using, that's your responsibility.
It's actually a mild hallucinogenic but you're right, not a narcotic.

I used to meet up with several friends at a cabin hidden away in the Sequoia National Forest. We would prepare a huge tri-tip, choose our music and take Ecstasy. We got pretty ****ed up ut we went nowhere and harmed no one. When we drove back home 2 or 3 days later, we were as sober as judges. We went back to our normal life stations.
This would be the best scenario for those who want to use recreational drugs - they use it in their homes, for their own use, keep it away from minors (I'd hope an age limit of 21 years of age would be applied) and no driving or such nonsense which could endanger others.

Prescription? These drugs are recreational. Meth isn't prescribed for any known ailment. I agree no advertising and no promotion but definitely cheap and available.

This would be the best scenario for those who want to use recreational drugs - they use it in their homes, for their own use, keep it away from minors (I'd hope an age limit of 21 years of age would be applied) and no driving or such nonsense which could endanger others.

We mostly agree although I'm pretty confident that pot is a euphoric and not a hallucinogenic. Unless you have some really good pot in which case I'd appreciate your sending me an ounce or so:roll:

Why should it be cheap? Who benefits from that? Available doesn't mean you should be able to buy it at the 7-11.

The reason for prescription is to determine if you have any medical issues that might make certain drugs impractical and overly risky. It also adds to the deglamorization issue.

There are a few accepted medical reasons for its use, such as the treatment of narcolepsy, attention deficit disorder, and for short-term use obesity

Why should it be cheap? Who benefits from that? Available doesn't mean you should be able to buy it at the 7-11.
You know, you're right. We should let the capitalists run the availability in the private sector. That way, there will be high end, standard and low end product. Government will soon get in the middle to regulate it such that the public's safety is not at risk, and Congress and the courts will have decades of suits to work on with this new industry. I'd say it's a win win except for those who OD.

The reason for prescription is to determine if you have any medical issues that might make certain drugs impractical and overly risky. It also adds to the deglamorization issue.
Hmm... I get the de-glamorization part but I know my Dr. wouldn't touch a script for quaaludes or speed as he'd get sued if something did go wrong. I doubt the health industry would want any part of it due to liability and insurance issues.

You know, you're right. We should let the capitalists run the availability in the private sector. That way, there will be high end, standard and low end product. Government will soon get in the middle to regulate it such that the public's safety is not at risk, and Congress and the courts will have decades of suits to work on with this new industry. I'd say it's a win win except for those who OD.

Hmm... I get the de-glamorization part but I know my Dr. wouldn't touch a script for quaaludes or speed as he'd get sued if something did go wrong. I doubt the health industry would want any part of it due to liability and insurance issues.

There are quite a few Doctors that issue marijuana licenses and who issue pain pill scrips (synthetic heroin) right now so I'm sure this problem can be transcended.

As for the fear of bureaucracy, we have thousands of suits reviewing ****ing popsicles so I really don't mind some certification and quality control, of drugs. Most ODs happen bwecause the strength of heroin is unknown. Each step of handling results in more adulterants reducing the strength. So, when shooting up, you may overdose yourself because one dealer was too busty to add crap to the mixture. OTOH if you knew what the hell were actually using, you might make a better judgement. I have a scrip for 90 Roxys right now. If I take all of them at once, I'll die. If I follow the instructions, I'll have pain relief. If I take more than prescribed, I'll get high.

I smoke E-Cigs and they are marked with the % of nicotine. I think that is helpful, not harmful.

You might have to get a new Doctor for your scrip.

When you get busted for drugs that crap goes on your record and you can not work for many employers. That ruins your chance to work just as much as racial discrimination ever could. Why don't drunks get that same treatmeny? Hypocricy.

They do, it's called DUI.

Meth and coke cure a goods night sleep.

Maybe if he or one of his family members is run into by a pot smoking teenager and killed on the highway he'll think differently then he does now. I know its impacted my family that way and it sickens me that people want to help put more high smokers on the road next to the drunk drivers.

Pot doesn't kill people.

People kill people.

Best anti-meth campaign I ever saw was simply pictures of women before meth and after. I'm sure it worked. And no lies required.

That is because she used it every day for years. If you drank a fifth of booze every day for 20 years the before and after would not look so pretty either.

Just don't lie to them.

Untold.damage has been done by misrepresenting pot as as bad as heroine.

A kid who tries pot and discovers hes been loed to would be justified in assuming they're lying about meth too.

The propaganda spread about pot over the years undermines anything the moral crusaders spew about it. Who can believe those liars when what they are spewing is just as sinful as what they are fighting.

That is because she used it every day for years. If you drank a fifth of booze every day for 20 years the before and after would not look so pretty either.

Meth is a sneaky bitch.

Seen some things.

I'm not a "banner" by the way.

More a Darwinist on the subject.

The government has finally figured out that if they legal a dazed state of mind, the people won't notice the other policies stripping them of other freedoms. With all the unemployed, it'll work better for the govt if they lay around puffing away the day.

But not for just being a drunk. With drugs you do not have to driving to get busted.

Consuming liquor in public is against the law. Being intoxicated in public is against the law. Possessing alcohol in school zones, college grounds, federal buildings, etc is against the law. Alcohol related charges prevent people from gaining employment, or advancing in their careers. Your ignorance is not an excuse. Your ignorance is not an argument. As you hippies always say: "Expand your mind". In your case, it means put down the drugs that are clouding your head, and exercise your brain.

Consuming liquor in public is against the law. Being intoxicated in public is against the law. Possessing alcohol in school zones, college grounds, federal buildings, etc is against the law. Alcohol related charges prevent people from gaining employment, or advancing in their careers. Your ignorance is not an excuse. Your ignorance is not an argument. As you hippies always say: "Expand your mind". In your case, it means put down the drugs that are clouding your head, and exercise your brain.

What is your venom to me all about? I am not the only one who is in favor of legalizing pot.52% of Americans now support legalizing pot and only 40% want to keep it illegal. You self righteous mindset is not a minority opinion my friend so don't attack me like so freaked out liberal. The war on drugs is lost and the moralist are losing another culture war battle. Praise God.

What is your venom to me all about? I am not the only one who is in favor of legalizing pot.52% of Americans now support legalizing pot and only 40% want to keep it illegal. You self righteous mindset is not a minority opinion my friend so don't attack me like so freaked out liberal. The war on drugs is lost and the moralist are losing another culture war battle. Praise God.

I'm for legalizing many scheduled narcotics, including marijuana. I am, however, against horrible arguments by people who freely give themselves up to those who want to keep narcotics banned as the perfect example of why recreational drugs should stay banned.

I'm for legalizing many scheduled narcotics, including marijuana. I am, however, against horrible arguments by people who freely give themselves up to those who want to keep narcotics banned as the perfect example of why recreational drugs should stay banned.

Why is pointing out hypocricy a bad argument my friend? Why is calling out Jesus freaks and law and order zealots a bad argument when they are the driving force behind the hypocricy? I don't know what you are talking about. These hypocrites have been enemies of freedom for way too long and deseve to be called out. I am glad we agree on legalizing pot.

The government has finally figured out that if they legal a dazed state of mind, the people won't notice the other policies stripping them of other freedoms. With all the unemployed, it'll work better for the govt if they lay around puffing away the day.

I read this and the first thing that came to mind was a cartoon of Americans smoking blunts on the side of the road. Looking like old cartoons of Mexicans...minus the sombrero.

siesta.jpg

Was able to find the non-cartoon picture though.

I hope people to carry this momentum and consider it only a small victory; the second we become complacent due to every small "victory" we have while legalizing Marijuana, the Drug Warriors win. A revolutionist must remember that the revolution hasn't happened yet.

Nobody should be surprised at the actions of our Conservative peers; they aren't truly fighting for a small government, they're fighting to establish Moral Authoritarianism. When a small government doesn't work towards that end, they have no problems with increasing the deficit or giving the government more power. A true conservative wouldn't have let prohibition stand; it increases government spending and lengthens the reach of Authoritarian rule over the individual, which is Liberalism if I ever saw it. American Conservatives are liberals.

plenty of conservative peers are fighting to end the drug war and return power to the states.

He is talking about the federal govt's decision to ignore another law; in this case the MJ laws passed in Washington and Colorado.

Maybe if he or one of his family members is run into by a pot smoking teenager and killed on the highway he'll think differently then he does now. I know its impacted my family that way and it sickens me that people want to help put more high smokers on the road next to the drunk drivers.
Not a lot different than drunk driving. :)

Drunk Driving kills a lot of people, and so why exactly would we want to add to that by encouraging the use of pot?
It does yes, but we still have drunk driving as illegal, making pot legal wouldn't change the drunk driving laws as you'd still be under the influence. However, as people have pointed out there are 2.3M people in prison due to nothing more than having something that is less harmful than cigs and alcohol.

You can assume it is less harmful than cigs and alcohol but you can't say that with fact. Making pot legal would increase its use, and thus increase the amount of "high driving" which is more difficult for LE to detect then drunk driving. Since its harder to detect people will be more inclined to get away with it - more people will die - but hey you get high so its all good - that how society roles - what is good for me - doesn't matter if it means a coffin for you.

It does yes, but we still have drunk driving as illegal, making pot legal wouldn't change the drunk driving laws as you'd still be under the influence. However, as people have pointed out there are 2.3M people in prison due to nothing more than having something that is less harmful than cigs and alcohol.

I hope people to carry this momentum and consider it only a small victory; the second we become complacent due to every small "victory" we have while legalizing Marijuana, the Drug Warriors win. A revolutionist must remember that the revolution hasn't happened yet.

Nobody should be surprised at the actions of our Conservative peers; they aren't truly fighting for a small government, they're fighting to establish Moral Authoritarianism. When a small government doesn't work towards that end, they have no problems with increasing the deficit or giving the government more power. A true conservative wouldn't have let prohibition stand; it increases government spending and lengthens the reach of Authoritarian rule over the individual, which is Liberalism if I ever saw it. American Conservatives are liberals.

I really like your post, but I'm not sure I quite understand your apparent fear of 'liberalism'.

At the founding of this country, "liberal" generally meant "in favor of the individual and individual rights", as against the government.

plenty of conservative peers are fighting to end the drug war and return power to the states.
If you mean a true Conservative, as in "small government", yes. In that respect, even I am a conservative. But, the vast majority of "conservative" politicians are social conservatives, AKA Authoritarian Liberals. Such liberals are typically not trying to end any government spending.
Drunk Driving kills a lot of people, and so why exactly would we want to add to that by encouraging the use of pot?
Studies have shown that people who are going to DWI will tend towards Marijuana instead of Alcohol, if it's legal. Marijuana does impair your driving skills, but not nearly as bad as Alcohol; statistically, marijuana's availability reduces rates of traffic accidents. Why Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Traffic Deaths | TIME.com

If we could just magically "make" all drugs go away, then we would, but we can't. Prohibition is ignoring the problem, while regulation deals with it. In Portugal's case, they decriminalized all drugs, and still found it to be less harmful than prohibition. Decriminalizing Drugs in Portugal a Success, Says Report - TIME After allowing everything from Marijuana to Heroin, they found that all use dropped, addiction rates dropped, STD rates from needle sharing dropped, Overdoses dropped, total drug related deaths dropped, and teen drug use dropped. It was a complete success. We've seen similar success stories from dozens of countries that have started to reverse drug prohibition, and it's most noticeable for Marijuana.

All places that have legalized, regulated, or decriminalized Marijuana have found that all negative things associated with it start to reduce. Prohibition is the cause of the harm.

I really like your post, but I'm not sure I quite understand your apparent fear of 'liberalism'.

At the founding of this country, "liberal" generally meant "in favor of the individual and individual rights", as against the government.
In modern political commentary, the term "liberal" typically refers to Authoritarian rule with an emphasis on a larger government. That's not what it always meant, and the term "Libertarian" is essentially the modern equivalent. Liberals, as the term is now used, want to increase government spending and decrease liberties, the opposite of libertarianism. I consider most American Conservatives to be liberals in that sense, in that they want more government spending and decreased liberties for minorities.

Back
Top Bottom