• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Administration Seeks Delay of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Ruling

Singularity

Hung like Einstein
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Obama Administration Seeks Delay of Don't Ask, Don't Tell Ruling - FoxNews.com

The Justice Department asked a U.S. judge Thursday to allow the military's "don't ask, don't tell' policy to continue while it appeals her order to end the ban on gays serving openly.

The government's court filing came two days after U.S. District Judge Virginia Phillips in California ordered the Pentagon to cease enforcement of the law approved by Congress in 1993.

The law forbids the military from asking about a service member's sexual orientation but retains a ban on gays disclosing their status.

Allowing the judge' ruling to go forward immediately "will irreparably harm the public interest in a strong and effective military," the government's court papers stated.

Repeated and sudden changes in policy regarding "don't ask, don't tell" will be "enormously disruptive and time-consuming, particularly at a time when this nation is involved in combat operations overseas," the papers said.

Bad move by the Obama Administration. Given the fervent support for it's repeal by a large number of his base, one would expect Obama to expedite the process. Instead, he's dragging his feet on the issue.

Bad move by the Obama Administration. Given the fervent support for it's repeal by a large number of his base, one would expect Obama to expedite the process. Instead, he's dragging his feet on the issue.

There have been an awful lot of us who have warned everyone he's a liar and never to be trusted. He is great at saying one thing and doing the opposite.

I'm kind of on the fence on this issue for a lot of reasons but most I think there is way too much attention given to this one item.

As I said the other day, let the gay folk in and if and when it creates a problem then go back and institute a final air tight ban if needed based on cause and not speculation on what might or could happen.

As to Obama he has a conflict with what ever religion he claims he is today.

Gay is against Christian values to some, a Big No, No in Islam, punishable by death, and I'm not really sure how Obama's Marxist, based Black Liberation Theology says on the subject.

It's a shame that senators like John McCain (who had originally supported overturning this piece of legislation) are now blocking it from debate. I think that saying that having openly gay soldiers will "lower troop morale" is really offensive to our soldiers; it's assuming that most are homophobic and that is something we should not infringe upon. Politicians have been saying this is the wrong time to overturn DADT; in my opinion it is the best time. We are denying men in women from serving openly in our military because of sexual preference. That shows a lack of intolerance and theocratic stranglehold in american society. Repeal DADT.

There have been an awful lot of us who have warned everyone he's a liar and never to be trusted. He is great at saying one thing and doing the opposite.

I'm kind of on the fence on this issue for a lot of reasons but most I think there is way too much attention given to this one item.

As I said the other day, let the gay folk in and if and when it creates a problem then go back and institute a final air tight ban if needed based on cause and not speculation on what might or could happen.

As to Obama he has a conflict with what ever religion he claims he is today.

Gay is against Christian values to some, a Big No, No in Islam, punishable by death, and I'm not really sure how Obama's Marxist, based Black Liberation Theology says on the subject.

Very sensisble post Councilman!

Tim-

Another example where a activist judge usurps the responsibility of the Congress..........The only way gays can win a battle is when activist judges step over the boundaries be it nationally or in California, Mass.

If the results of the survey come back and the guys in the military especially the Navy don't have a problem with openly serving with gays then I won't complain about it again, but you liberals in DP whom it does not affect or any other liberals or activist judges should not be making the decision on whether DADT is overturned....

THE GUYS IT AFFECTS SHOULD BE THE ONES WHO DECIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously, his military advisors--the ones who have a job, no matter whose in office and don't have to worry about being fired over political bull****--convinced Obama that this is probably better handled by the military, vice an activist judge. Or, they explained to him that DADT isn't the actual ban on gays in the military and the abolition of DADT will cause gay service members more problems than it will solve.

Gotta give credit where credit is due on this one.

THE GUYS IT AFFECTS SHOULD BE THE ONES WHO DECIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep just like the WHITES should have been the ones to decide if Blacks could join.

And the comparison is valid because Navy Pride is saying that all the people in the military should deecide who joins and who doesn't. Tough ****, I learned when I was in the military you are there to protect democracy, not to practice it. Still rings true today, the troops should NOT decide who joins and who doesn't.

Another example where a activist judge usurps the responsibility of the Congress..........The only way gays can win a battle is when activist judges step over the boundaries be it nationally or in California, Mass.

When the ruling first came down and you cried activist judge, I asked you to point to what in the ruling was activist, and you never answered. I will ask again, what in the ruling is activist? Have you read the ruling?

Obviously, his military advisors--the ones who have a job, no matter whose in office and don't have to worry about being fired over political bull****--convinced Obama that this is probably better handled by the military, vice an activist judge. Or, they explained to him that DADT isn't the actual ban on gays in the military and the abolition of DADT will cause gay service members more problems than it will solve.

Gotta give credit where credit is due on this one.

Or more likely, he is standing by what he has said all along, which is that it should be decided legislatively. Not the explanation you want of course, but he has been saying that right along.

Yep just like the WHITES should have been the ones to decide if Blacks could join.

And the comparison is valid because Navy Pride is saying that all the people in the military should deecide who joins and who doesn't. Tough ****, I learned when I was in the military you are there to protect democracy, not to practice it. Still rings true today, the troops should NOT decide who joins and who doesn't.

Correct - the Military exists to Protect the Nation and NOT to Right every social wrong in the Nation. The Military is not in given instances Fair because it can't be, but is overall Fairer than most institutions in this society.

DADT if one thought about it (and a few did) gave Gays like 90 cents on the Dollar as to their concerns - but that isn't enough. Where do We go next - will the Military be forced to have Chaplains perform Same Sex Marriage, and Military Housing be made available to Same Sex Couples. This is JUST NOT ABOUT INDIVIDUAL SERVICE.

Also , if 30+ years ago is any indication a goodly portion of those put out for (supposedly) being Gay were glad to exit. The MSM does however focus on individual cases with Stirling individuals who got outed, or chose to Speak up. I suspect even then some common sense middle ground could have been reached - and I just know that a few took the wise course and served without really rubbing others the wrong way.

Or more likely, he is standing by what he has said all along, which is that it should be decided legislatively. Not the explanation you want of course, but he has been saying that right along.

Whatcha' wanna bet the legislative approach doesn't accomplish a damn thing?

When the ruling first came down and you cried activist judge, I asked you to point to what in the ruling was activist, and you never answered. I will ask again, what in the ruling is activist? Have you read the ruling?

The Senate are the ones who should cancel DADT if its done..............The judge usurped their authority in making the decision she made.............Out of all the cases whether it be gay marriage or DADT when it went to a vote you lose every single time....What part of that do you not understand?

DADT if one thought about it (and a few did) gave Gays like 90 cents on the Dollar as to their concerns - but that isn't enough. Where do We go next - will the Military be forced to have Chaplains perform Same Sex Marriage, and Military Housing be made available to Same Sex Couples. This is JUST NOT ABOUT INDIVIDUAL SERVICE.

Oh the travesty.

The Senate are the ones who should cancel DADT if its done..............The judge usurped their authority in making the decision she made.............Out of all the cases whether it be gay marriage or DADT when it went to a vote you lose every single time....What part of that do you not understand?

Except it is the judge's job to rule on the legality and constitutionality of laws. So again, what in the ruling is activist, and have you even read the ruling?

Oh the travesty.

In other words YOU know "Damn Good and well" Where this is going but YOU do not care. You get a kick out of Institutions being forced to knuckle under . This is WHY the Church's are eventually going to be focused on.

Hussein Obama could cancel DADT with the strike of a pen.............Why do you lefties think he does not do it? He knows it not the responsibility of his branch of government to do that.......Even if he pisses off all you "do good lberals" he still won't do it...Activist judges in the judicial branch should take a lesson from him................

Except it is the judge's job to rule on the legality and constitutionality of laws. So again, what in the ruling is activist, and have you even read the ruling?

Where was this judge when the law was first passed?

So, if a directive came down the chain of command that forced female soldiers to billet with male soldiers, against the will of the female soldiers; you would support that?

Hussein Obama could cancel DADT with the strike of a pen.............Why do you lefties think he does not do it? He knows it not the responsibility of his branch of government to do that.......Even if he pisses off all you "do good lberals" he still won't do it...Activist judges in the judicial branch should take a lesson from him................

Why do you use a man's middle name in place of his first name?

Also, activist judge = judge who does something you disagree with.

Why do you use a man's middle name in place of his first name?

Also, activist judge = judge who does something you disagree with.

No, activist judge = judge who tries to legislate from the bench.

Probably for the reason he has given, that it should be done legislatively. You still have not shown any evidence of "activist judges" in this case.

No, activist judge = judge who tries to legislate from the bench.

Which did not happen in this case, so the claim of activist judge just means judge who is disagreed with.

In other words YOU know "Damn Good and well" Where this is going but YOU do not care. You get a kick out of Institutions being forced to knuckle under . This is WHY the Church's are eventually going to be focused on.

The churches are protected by the Constitution. Military rules aren't the same thing at all.

Utterly invalid comparison and failed slippery slope argument.

Back
Top Bottom