• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Administration Reverses Course, Forbids Sale of 850,000 Antique Rifles

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
It looks like Obama is showing his anti-2nd amendment side.

FOXNews.com - Obama Administration Reverses Course, Forbids Sale of 850,000 Antique Rifles

The South Korean government, in an effort to raise money for its military, wants to sell nearly a million antique M1 rifles that were used by U.S. soldiers in the Korean War to gun collectors in America.

The Obama administration approved the sale of the American-made rifles last year. But it reversed course and banned the sale in March – a decision that went largely unnoticed at the time but that is now sparking opposition from gun rights advocates.

A State Department spokesman said the administration's decision was based on concerns that the guns could fall into the wrong hands.

"The transfer of such a large number of weapons -- 87,310 M1 Garands and 770,160 M1 Carbines -- could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes," the spokesman told FoxNews.com.

"We are working closely with our Korean allies and the U.S. Army in exploring alternative options to dispose of these firearms."

FOXNews.com - Obama Administration Reverses Course, Forbids Sale of 850,000 Antique Rifles

The South Korean government, in an effort to raise money for its military, wants to sell nearly a million antique M1 rifles that were used by U.S. soldiers in the Korean War to gun collectors in America.

The Obama administration approved the sale of the American-made rifles last year. But it reversed course and banned the sale in March – a decision that went largely unnoticed at the time but that is now sparking opposition from gun rights advocates.

A State Department spokesman said the administration's decision was based on concerns that the guns could fall into the wrong hands.

"The transfer of such a large number of weapons -- 87,310 M1 Garands and 770,160 M1 Carbines -- could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes," the spokesman told FoxNews.com.

"We are working closely with our Korean allies and the U.S. Army in exploring alternative options to dispose of these firearms."

I regret that there aren't 850,000 antique soldiers holding those antique weapons. :mrgreen:

They better not dispose of them, I'll buy one and ship it here myself.

So when do we get paid for these weapons?

what do you expect from the most anti gun administration in history

for years the DCM (now OCMP) has sold surplus garands and MI carbines to qualified buyers (no felonies, proof of marksmanship activity, membership in a recognized organization) and very few of those guns have ever been misused and almost only when stolen.

I own 6 garands and 6 Carbines purchased through the DCM and one is being used by a young man who is soon to start USAF ROTC and is a world class shooter.

Obama and his scummy minions are enough to make any patriot want to puke

So when do we get paid for these weapons?

the government once was paid for those weapons by citizens who had already paid for them with taxes.

those weapons didn't cost the government anything and they made money off of them

obama is a scummy gun hater

nothing more nothing less--a MI garand is hardly a weapon that has much criminal utility given they are four feet long and cannot be concealed by anyone short of Ralph Samson or Kareem Abdul Jabbar

the government once was paid for those weapons by citizens who had already paid for them with taxes.

Using that logic you could say the government pays for nothing, as you can never tell what spending in the federal budget was borrowed, printed, or actually collected.
And most anti-gun President in history? What anti-gun laws has he signed? Literally none, and I'm pretty sure none is less than Clinton's Assault Weapon Ban.

those weapons didn't cost the government anything and they made money off of them

obama is a scummy gun hater

nothing more nothing less--a MI garand is hardly a weapon that has much criminal utility given they are four feet long and cannot be concealed by anyone short of Ralph Samson or Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Wow you are on a roll. I was talking about when do the tax payers get paid on these guns.

Using that logic you could say the government pays for nothing, as you can never tell what spending in the federal budget was borrowed, printed, or actually collected.
And most anti-gun President in history? What anti-gun laws has he signed? Literally none, and I'm pretty sure none is less than Clinton's Assault Weapon Ban.

you need to look at Obama and Biden's records over their political careers versus clinton and gore

they won't pass a gun ban because they saw what happened in 1994. If they thought they would pick up seats by banning all guns they would. Their Attorney General said he wanted to reinstitute and extend the clinton gun ban and he filed an amicus brief against gun rights in Heller v DC

Wow you are on a roll. I was talking about when do the tax payers get paid on these guns.

they don't-the government would collect the money

given our huge deficits only a moron would be against selling stuff like that -a garand in excellent condition sells for about 900 dollars, in good condition about 500, A carbine in excellent condition 800 or so

they could raise alot of money with those weapons but they aren't going to sell them to other governments since they are obsolete as military armaments. (and most other countries don't trust t heir citizens to own such things)

you need to look at Obama and Biden's records over their political careers versus clinton and gore

they won't pass a gun ban because they saw what happened in 1994. If they thought they would pick up seats by banning all guns they would. Their Attorney General said he wanted to reinstitute and extend the clinton gun ban and he filed an amicus brief against gun rights in Heller v DC

Here's the fact, no anti gun law has been passed by Obama. But yes there is a conspiracy, ok sure. They want to ban all guns, right...

You have the right to get on the internet and ask absurd questions, without fear of reprisal. You've been paid, in full, for these weapons.

Here's the fact, no anti gun law has been passed by Obama. But yes there is a conspiracy, ok sure. They want to ban all guns, right...

If that's so, then why did The One ban the sale of these rifles?

lets see if I can follow your logic

Many republicans despise Obama and Biden and Pelosi-those GOPers would love to see them impeached

but they haven't been impeached so obviously the GOP politicians don't hate them.

ouch that one hurt

and these obama apologists ignore the fact that Biden has voted for every anti gun measure that has ever come up for a vote and was the leader in the senate for the clinton gun ban and Obama stated there should be a complete ban on handguns when he was in state governement and a complete ban on semi autos

the obama worshippers confuse the inability or political cowardice of not passing a gun ban with not being anti gun

You have the right to get on the internet and ask absurd questions, without fear of reprisal. You've been paid, in full, for these weapons.

Where is my check?

lets see if I can follow your logic

Many republicans despise Obama and Biden and Pelosi-those GOPers would love to see them impeached

but they haven't been impeached so obviously the GOP politicians don't hate them.

Do you know how the impeach process works? Even if every Republican congressmen actually wanted to impeach Obama, which they don't, they couldn't anyway.

As opposed to the millions of guns made in America each year that could potentially fall into the wrong hands?

I don't understand this.

Do you know how the impeach process works? Even if every Republican congressmen actually wanted to impeach Obama, which they don't, they couldn't anyway.

do you know how politics work-even if Obama wants to ban guns, harry reid realizes what would happen to the dems if they tried to do that (see 1994 again) and thus Obama cannot.

Who knows, maybe its political, maybe its a security concern, maybe its both or something else completly, maybe he was lobbied by gun makers who don't want the price of M1 garands and carbines to fall as hundreds of thousands enter the market all at once. I have no idea, but if we are just going to speculate, which is all we are doing, I think there are more reasonable speculations other than he wants to ban all guns. If he did want to ban all guns, he's doing a very poor job at it.

As opposed to the millions of guns made in America each year that could potentially fall into the wrong hands?

I don't understand this.

I guess you don't understand that such an idiotic fear is applicable to the mllions of guns that are sold legally anyway and these guns have very little use to criminals. Over the past 50 years or so (JFK bought a DCM rifle and joined the NRA to do so) millions of these rifles were sold to american civilians and very few were ever misused by those who bought them

do you know how politics work-even if Obama wants to ban guns, harry reid realizes what would happen to the dems if they tried to do that (see 1994 again) and thus Obama cannot.

You didn't answer my question. You literally asked me why the party in the minority in both houses of Congress didn't impeach the President, and then stated that because they didn't then they must in fact not hate the President. Personally I doubt many members of congress would say they "hate" the President, and secondly this really shows off your lack of understanding of government.

As for the 1994 elections, I think its silly to suggest that a single issue drove that election against the democrats. But that again is speculation, as you are doing too, you've offered no evidence to suggest that a new assault weapons ban would affect the outcome of congressional elections.

You didn't answer my question. You literally asked me why the party in the minority in both houses of Congress didn't impeach the President, and then stated that because they didn't then they must in fact not hate the President. Personally I doubt many members of congress would say they "hate" the President, and secondly this really shows off your lack of understanding of government.

As for the 1994 elections, I think its silly to suggest that a single issue drove that election against the democrats. But that again is speculation, as you are doing too, you've offered no evidence to suggest that a new assault weapons ban would affect the outcome of congressional elections.

I guess you couldn't figure out the analogy. Maybe someone else will explain it to you but the bottom line is

you cannot disprove my claim that Obama and biden are the two biggest gun haters to be elected to the Oval Office merely by noting they have yet to pass any anti gun laws.

BTW clinton admitted that the gun ban probably cost the dems control of both houses and Gore noted that the NRA attack on him is why he lost his home state in 2000 (and thus the election) so you can argue with those two if you think you know more about issues than they do

Back
Top Bottom