• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Administration OKs First Tax-Funded Abortions Under Health Care Law

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

http://lifenews.com/nat6531.html

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- The Obama administration has officially approved the first instance of taxpayer funded abortions under the new national government-run health care program. This is the kind of abortion funding the pro-life movement warned about when Congress considered the bill.

The Obama Administration will give Pennsylvania $160 million to set up a new "high-risk" insurance program under a provision of the federal health care legislation enacted in March.

It has quietly approved a plan submitted by an appointee of pro-abortion Governor Edward Rendell under which the new program will cover any abortion that is legal in Pennsylvania.

The high-risk pool program is one of the new programs created by the sweeping health care legislation, Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, President Obama signed into law on March 23. The law authorizes $5 billion in federal funds for the program, which will cover as many as 400,000 people when it is implemented nationwide.

"The Obama Administration will give Pennsylvania $160 million in federal tax funds, which we've discovered will pay for insurance plans that cover any legal abortion," said Douglas Johnson, legislative director for the National Right to Life Committee.

Johnson told LifeNews.com: "This is just the first proof of the phoniness of President Obama's assurances that federal funds would not subsidize abortion -- but it will not be the last."

I thought this wasn't supposed to happen? My money going to the slaughter of the innocent? /facepalm

"The Obama Administration will give Pennsylvania $160 million in federal tax funds, which we've discovered will pay for insurance plans that cover any legal abortion," said Douglas Johnson, legislative director for the National Right to Life Committee.

I'll have to see more on this to believe it, frankly. If an abortion is done to protect a woman's health, then I think it should be covered. If it's being done for convenience, then it absolutely shouldn't. I'm not quite sure the NRLC is a fair interpreter of the funding...where they say it will "cover any legal abortion."

yeah, that's not true. it's tough to find out all the detail behind this one.

Taxpayer dollars should never be used to fund elective medical procedures.

Just another example of this administration going against the wishes of the American people. The majority did not want abortions to be funded with their tax dollars. Thanks Stupack for wimping out and voting for the bill that we all said did not have the proper language to avoid this. This just makes me sick, but I'm not surprised. Obama is such a liar along with all the other Dems who are in the pockets of Planned Parenthood. They all said abortions WOULD NOT be tax payer funded and the language was there to prevent it. LIARS all of them!

The problem is, how is "the woman's health" defined?

Just another example of this administration going against the wishes of the American people. The majority did not want abortions to be funded with their tax dollars. Thanks Stupack for wimping out and voting for the bill that we all said did not have the proper language to avoid this. This just makes me sick, but I'm not surprised. Obama is such a liar along with all the other Dems who are in the pockets of Planned Parenthood. They all said abortions WOULD NOT be tax payer funded and the language was there to prevent it. LIARS all of them!

yes, i'm certain obama is beholden to planned parenthood. lol.

Yes I remember still the stupidity with Stupak asking for Obama's executive order in exchange for his vote on health care.

payne2.jpg

did anyone honestly expect Obama to keep his promise that tax payer money wouldn't fund abortions in his law? Stupak and his Dems are not men/women of principal, they are people of partisanship and accepted a weak lie in order to go to their pro life constituents without fear of backlash. No taxpayer money should go to fund any abortion. It's not a medically necessary procedure, and if anything it should be classified as murder and made illegal.

Does the same thread really need to be debunked in three different forums? The deliberate deception coming from the reform opponents is getting old.

OMG...not another thread on this same falsehood? Alright...here we go with the truth of the matter...again.

From post #20 in the thread:

Objective Voice said:
I want to correct a reference I made in post #6.

HR. 3962 isn't the full and final health care reform legistlation approved by Congress and signed by the President, and DOES NOT contain language concerning abortions. What I quoted in post #6 was from a copy I had on file of what was presented online as the final health care legistlation that was before the Senate prior to the bill going back to the House for final ratification and reconsiliation. The full health care reform legistlation that was actually ratified by Congress and signed by the President was done in three parts:

(Note: Links to each bill in their final form as posted on GovTrack.gov are provided below.)

H.R. 3590 - Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
H.R. 3962 - Preservation of Access to Care for Medicare Beneficiaries and Pension Relief Act of 2010
H.R. 4872 - Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010

H.R. 3590 is that portion of health care reform legistlation that actually covers the issue of funding for abortions at either the state or federal levels, towit:

Under Sec. 1303 - Special Rules:

Subparagraph (1)(a)(B)Abortion Services -

(i)Abortions for which public funding is PROHIBITED - The services described in this clause are abortions for which the expenditure of Federal funds appropriated for the Department of Health and Human Services is not permitted, based on the law as in effect as of the date that is 6 months before the beginning of the plan year involved.

(ii)Abortions for which public funding is ALLOWED - The services described in this clause are abortions for which the expenditure of Federal funds appropriated for the Department of Health and Human Services is permitted, based on the law as in effect as of the date that is 6 months before the beginning of the plan year involved.

Subparagraph (C) under the same section, "PROHIBITION on Federal Funds for Abortion Services in Community Health Insurance Option":

(i) Determination by Secretary - The Secretary may not determine, in accordance with subparagraph (A)(ii), that the community health insurance option established under section 1323 shall provide coverage of services described in subparagraph (B)(i) as part of benefits for the plan year unless the Secretary --

(I) assures compliance with the requirements of paragraph (2);
(II) assures, in accordance with applicable provisions of generally accepted accounting requirements, circulars on funds management of the Office of Management and Budget, and guidance on accounting of the Government Accountability Office, that no Federal funds are used for such coverage; and
(III) notwithstanding section 1323(e)(1)(C) or any other provision of this title, takes all necessary steps to assure that the United states does not bear the insurance risk for a community health insurance option's coverage of services described in subparagraph (B)(i).

And now to that portion of Section 1303 that clarifies this issue from the state's level:

Subparagraph (C):

(ii) STATE REQUIREMENT - If a State requires, in addition to the essential health benefits required under section 1323(b)(3)(A), coverage of services described in subparagraph (B)(i) for enrollees of a community health insurance option offered in such State, the State shall assure that no funds flowing through or from the community health insurance option, and no other federal funds, pay or defray the cost of providing coverage of services described in subparagraph (B)(i). The United States shall not bear the insurance risk for a State's required coverage of services described in subparagraph (B)(i).

(iii) EXCEPTIONS - Nothing in this subparagraph shall apply to coverage of services described in subparagraph (B)(ii) by the community health insurance option. Services described in subparagraph (B)(ii) shall be covered to the same extent as such services are covered under title XIX of the Social Security Act.

Now, as far as high-risk pools are concerned, you have to review Section 1101 - "Immediate Access to Insurance for Uninsured Individuals w/a Pre-Existing Condition". Subparagraph (b)(2)(A) details that only a State or non-profit private entity can take part in high-risk pools. And as I've just outlined above, no State will be given Federal funds to cover abortions.

I don't think it can be any clearer on the matter of abortions, folks. Unless it is an abortion situation that is covered by another law, no Federal funding under health care reform legistlation will be used to pay the cost of an abortion at either the State or Federal level.

From the PolitiFact Q&A on this very issue:

The 60-page proposal from Pennsylvania outlines what looks like a pretty standard health care plan: It says the plan should include preventive care, physician services, diagnostic testing, hospitalization, mental health services, and prescription medications. It will charge people $283.20 a month for coverage and accept people without access to other coverage, regardless of pre-existing conditions.

On abortion, the proposal says this: "Includes only abortions and contraceptives that satisfy the requirements of 18 Pa.C.S. § 3204-3206 and 35 P.S. §§10101, 10103-10105. ... Elective abortions are not covered."

Those statute numbers refer to Pennsylvania's abortion laws
, where abortion is, for the most part, legal. We looked up the code and it says that abortions may be performed if a doctor determines that "in his best clinical judgment, the abortion is necessary." The only mention the statute makes of forbidding an abortion is when it is "sought solely because of the sex of the unborn child."

Now, if you read the 60-page proposal, what you'll find on page 14 concerning abortions is the following:

Abortions:

Includes only abortions and contraceptives that satisfy the requirements of 18 Pa.C.S. § 3204-3206 and 35 P.S. §§10101, 10103-10105.

1. Elective abortions are not covered. Services rendered to treat illness or injuries resulting from an elective abortion are covered.

Exactly what PolitiFact has stated above.

For the third time...state's rights, people! This is a non-issue that has :spin: written all over it.

Last edited:
Now that this has been debunked... any of you that initially made false claims have anything to say?

Lifenews? Really? Really?

I thought this wasn't supposed to happen? My money going to the slaughter of the innocent? /facepalm

His science czar is a proponent of eugenics, before long we'll be weeding out all "undesirables".

His science czar is a proponent of eugenics, before long we'll be weeding out all "undesirables".

He's spooky.

If that were actually true, I'd applaud it.
No one should ever have to remain pregnant against her will, whether or not she has any money.

If your taxes don't pay for some impoverished girl's 400 dollar abortion, you're eventually going to pay 400,000 dollars or more, over the unwanted scumbag's lifetime: first to raise him on welfare, then to keep him in prison for the rest of his life. Not to mention providing for all his health care.
This is not taking into account the cost of any damage he might happen to inflict on other persons or property.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom