• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama Admin Quietly Releases Taliban Inmates From Gitmo To Open Peace Talks In Afghan

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
By AWR Hawkins
29 Jul 2013

Without an official announcement or any publicity, the Obama administration released five members of the Taliban from Gitmo in order to open peace talks in Afghanistan.

"a top U.S. official said the prisoners were released under the condition that they will not engage in any violent activity."

The terror activity of those released is not in question. Rather, their release is intended as a gesture to get peace talks rolling between the U.S., Afghanistan, and the Taliban.

Although this release is a stark departure from the standing U.S. policy of zero tolerance [of] negotiations with terrorists and releasing of prisoners.

One thing is for certain--the more prisoners Obama can release from Gitmo in a piecemeal fashion the quicker he can justify asking Congress to cut off funding for the prison altogether.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Obama Admin Quietly Releases Taliban Inmates From Gitmo To Open Peace Talks In Afghanistan

Hmm... no mention of the prisoner swap? Are Americans so ignorant they don't see what's happening.

Bowe Bergdahl, Captive American Soldier, Involved In Taliban ...

www.huffingtonpost.com/...taliban-captive-prisoner-swap_n_1504108.html

May 09, 2012 · Bowe Bergdahl, Captive American Soldier, Involved In Taliban Prisoner Swap Negotiation

a-still-taken-from-video-footage-released-in-2010-of-a-man-believed-to-be-sgt-bowe-berghahl-who-has.jpg

Re: Obama Admin Quietly Releases Taliban Inmates From Gitmo To Open Peace Talks In Af

It's about time, don't you think?

Re: Obama Admin Quietly Releases Taliban Inmates From Gitmo To Open Peace Talks In Af

'Way past due. Gitmoe is just barely justifiable as a naval base but as a prison? It's the US version of Devils Island and if you don't execute everyone there you'll be returning heroes and martyrs to their cheering public.

Let them have the heroic moment in the sun. They've already done some hard time. Now they can enjoy resort life in Funkistan or wherever. I really want to see Bergdal back home.

'Way past due. Gitmoe is just barely justifiable as a naval base but as a prison? It's the US version of Devils Island and if you don't execute everyone there you'll be returning heroes and martyrs to their cheering public.

Why no mention of the prisoner swap to the public?

A) Maybe it's classified
B) Maybe it's not happening
C) Maybe they feel they can handle it without the guidance of DP (although I don't see how that's possible).

Why no mention of the prisoner swap to the public?

Let them have the heroic moment in the sun. They've already done some hard time. Now they can enjoy resort life in Funkistan or wherever. I really want to see Bergdal back home.

D'accord.

A) Maybe it's classified
C) Maybe they feel they can handle it without the guidance of DP (although I don't see how that's possible).

I'm sure that if Bowe Bergdahl was captured during the Bush administration there would be a big to do over this. Since it occurred on Obama's watch, it'll be kept quiet. I don't give a rat's patooty about the turban heads. They can tie 5 inch shells to their ankles and drop them in the Caribbean for all I care. I most interested in getting our POW back. I guess most of you missed that point.

Close Gitmo.

A) Maybe it's classified

Hold on a goddam minute. No guidance from DP??? Why that's blasphemy!! :lol:

American;1062122726[QUOTE said:
]Close Chick-fil-A!!!!
[/QUOTE]

Open more Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen!

Bueno
D'accord.

So we agree or disagree?
I'm sure that if Bowe Bergdahl was captured during the Bush administration there would be a big to do over this. Since it occurred on Obama's watch, it'll be kept quiet. I don't give a rat's patooty about the turban heads. They can tie 5 inch shells to their ankles and drop them in the Caribbean for all I care. I most interested in getting our POW back. I guess most of you missed that point.

I put that disclaimer there because I know they'll check with us first.
Hold on a goddam minute. No guidance from DP??? Why that's blasphemy!! :lol:

Taliban offers to swap American POW for five Gitmo detainees -​
…[/
FONT]

usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/20/19055634-taliban-offers-to-swap...

The Afghan Taliban has offered to hand over the only known American prisoner of war from the conflict in Afghanistan in exchange for five senior operatives held at ...

Shhhh....., America doesn't pay ransom for kidnapped or captured soldiers.

Good. Close GITMO, get rid of all those prisoners and return them home, and get this man home where he belongs (hey just bring all those troops home why they are at it).

Will the release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl be announced by the Obama White House soon, or will things go silent?

Glad to see we're engaging in a big show of weakness.

By AWR Hawkins
29 Jul 2013

Without an official announcement or any publicity, the Obama administration released five members of the Taliban from Gitmo in order to open peace talks in Afghanistan.

"a top U.S. official said the prisoners were released under the condition that they will not engage in any violent activity."

The terror activity of those released is not in question. Rather, their release is intended as a gesture to get peace talks rolling between the U.S., Afghanistan, and the Taliban.

Although this release is a stark departure from the standing U.S. policy of zero tolerance [of] negotiations with terrorists and releasing of prisoners.

One thing is for certain--the more prisoners Obama can release from Gitmo in a piecemeal fashion the quicker he can justify asking Congress to cut off funding for the prison altogether.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Obama Admin Quietly Releases Taliban Inmates From Gitmo To Open Peace Talks In Afghanistan

Hmm... no mention of the prisoner swap? Are Americans so ignorant they don't see what's happening.

Bowe Bergdahl, Captive American Soldier, Involved In Taliban ...

www.huffingtonpost.com/...taliban-captive-prisoner-swap_n_1504108.html

May 09, 2012 · Bowe Bergdahl, Captive American Soldier, Involved In Taliban Prisoner Swap Negotiation

a-still-taken-from-video-footage-released-in-2010-of-a-man-believed-to-be-sgt-bowe-berghahl-who-has.jpg

Not engage in violent activity. Obama and his band of brothers are complete idiots. What assurances do they have that they will not engage in violent activity? What an idiot.

Will the release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl be announced by the Obama White House soon, or will things go silent?
Other than that one story by Ynet [and the other derivative stories which cite that one as a source], there's not anything out there which says this has happened.

Apparently, releasing these guys would violate "legal restrictions imposed by Congress."

Maybe Ynet jumped the gun.

Are you volunteering to take in those they release?

I think they can be released back in the wild.

I think they can be released back in the wild.

If there is no Nation that will accept them can they crash at your place?

Oh I'm sure there are some nations that will accept them. Let's try. If we aren't going to try and convict them, they should be released. The war on terror is a joke. Either they commited a crime or they didn't. There is no oficial declaration of war, no official country we are at war with, so they need to be convicted or released to whatever country will take them.

I'm sure a lot of nations in the ME and Africa would take them in when you release them in the Serengeti wild.

Back
Top Bottom