• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama, a 'First Amendment Absolutist,' Calls for Social Media 'Regulation'

VySky

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Redbama gets a woody when he talks about suppressing free speech.

Obama was the beginning of the end of America. He transformed it alright.

Some bells can’t be unrung lol

———-

"Now, some companies have been taking the next step in managing toxic content, experimenting with new product designs that, to use just one example, add friction to slow the spread of potentially harmful content. And that kind of innovation is a step in the right direction. It should be applauded, but I also think decisions like this shouldn’t be left solely to private interests," Obama said.

It just goes to show ya……-apologies to Roseanne Adannadanna

Can’t fix stupid!

Yep, Obama thinks that social media sites should have their content become more heavily ‘moderated’ to remove any and all ’misinformation’ much like they do at CNN and MSNBC. ;)

I am an old man (85) who has never been to social media (unless political forums are considered social media).

Besides political topics, I have read that some mean people on something called Facebook have posted some cruel comments about, say, fellow high school students, who then have been devastated by those comments.

President Obama does not have to worry about political comments. Social media have already banned a former President of the United States of America.

And I have read that social media already ban "misinformation" about COVID and "misinformation" about election fraud. And, of course. social media are extremely careful when it comes to the topic of "diversity" and "equity." If your comments follow the party line, no problem. If they don't, forget about freedom of speech on the Internet. As liberals remind us, social media are private, so they can ban whom they want.

President Obama can relax. Internet censorship is doing very well.

But maybe he can get Congress to pass laws strengthening it by banning those Internet platforms that still do not toe the party line. I understand that China is a model of that kind of thinking.

I am an old man (85) who has never been to social media (unless political forums are considered social media).

Besides political topics, I have read that some mean people on something called Facebook have posted some cruel comments about, say, fellow high school students, who then have been devastated by those comments.

President Obama does not have to worry about political comments. Social media have already banned a former President of the United States of America.

And I have read that social media already ban "misinformation" about COVID and "misinformation" about election fraud. And, of course. social media are extremely careful when it comes to the topic of "diversity" and "equity." If your comments follow the party line, no problem. If they don't, forget about freedom of speech on the Internet. As liberals remind us, social media are private, so they can ban whom they want.

But maybe he can get Congress to pass laws strengthening it by banning those Internet platforms that do not toe the party line. I understand that China has 100% control over its Internet.

China, and the Republicans, ban books.

———-

"Now, some companies have been taking the next step in managing toxic content, experimenting with new product designs that, to use just one example, add friction to slow the spread of potentially harmful content. And that kind of innovation is a step in the right direction. It should be applauded, but I also think decisions like this shouldn’t be left solely to private interests," Obama said.

Wow, talk about missing the point...

Exactly. Thankfully, our DP moderators do not remove posts which they deem to be ‘misinformation’.

What has Obama concerned is that Elon Musk might ruin that deal.

But maybe he can get Congress to pass laws strengthening it by banning those Internet platforms that still do not toe the party line. I understand that China is a model of that kind of thinking.

Unlikely, but they could certainly impose ‘reporting requirements’ which only large platforms could afford to comply with.

Wow, talk about missing the point...

Was the Hunter Biden laptop story “potentially harmful content” which should have been removed? Maybe it was you who missed the point.

The really scary part was Obama’s assertion that having more strict ‘misinformation’ content moderation “shouldn't be left solely to private interests”. That seems like an invitation to create a federal ‘ministry of truth’, which would decide what is (or isn’t) “potentially harmful content”.

Was the Hunter Biden laptop story “potentially harmful content” which should have been removed? Maybe it was you who missed the point.
Fake news doesn't qualify for protection.

———-

Thee first amendment doesn't apply to private social media outlets because they aren't owned by the government. Our free speech rights only apply to what the government can do because of your speech when it puts the lives of others into an immediate credible threat. The free speech protections do not prevent you from being banned because you violated the TOS of a private platform.

China, and the Republicans, ban books.
Let's just say that woke Dems and reactionary Republicans are both pretty good at banning books and even people.

Have a nice weekend!

Fake news doesn't qualify for protection.

Yes, and we'd never politicize calling something fake news because it conflicts with an agenda.

The United States just isn't like that.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

———-

How does this speech not scare the living hell out of everyone with a brain ?

Yes, and we'd never politicize calling something fake news because it conflicts with an agenda.

The United States just isn't like that.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Well I wouldn't, but it's a well known republican tactic.

———-

Right Wing White People went crazy, because they know that White Nationalism won't continue to last forever... We know that's what you mean.

It does not matter that White Nationalist can't digest the fact that the world will never go backwards to the 1900's, of Right Wing Wealthy White Male Dominance, and you guys just as well face that fact.

Obama saved our economy and Right Wingers are just to much "Slaves" to White Nationalist Racism to acknowledge it.

Right Wing White People went crazy, because they know that White Nationalism won't continue to last forever... We know that's what you mean.

It does not matter that White Nationalist can't digest the fact that the world will never go backwards to the 1900's, of Right Wing Wealthy White Male Dominance, and you guys just as well face that fact.

Obama saved our economy and Right Wingers are just to much "Slaves" to White Nationalist Racism to acknowledge it.

Is this a serious post ?

———-

In case no one has informed you, privately owned social media platforms aren’t governed by 1A.

And Loser #45 attacked 1A rights of various people and organizations many, many times, even going so far as to suggest stripping American citizenship.

No American president, ever, has been a greater threat to free speech/expression than Loser #45.

Yep, Obama thinks that social media sites should have their content become more heavily ‘moderated’ to remove any and all ’misinformation’ much like they do at CNN and MSNBC. ;)
😄 no

He's right.
"In a democracy, we can rightly expect companies to subject the design of their products and services to some level of scrutiny. At minimum, they should have to share that information with researchers and regulators who are charged with keeping the rest of us safe."

How does this speech not scare the living hell out of everyone with a brain ?
Because nothing Obama said is frightening. At least, not to those of us with functioning cerebrums.

Back
Top Bottom