• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama’s rating at highest level since killing of Osama

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Obama’s rating at highest level since killing of Osama | Pakistan Observer

President Obama’s approval rating is at its highest level in more than five years, an ABC News/Washington Post poll released on Sunday shows.
According to the results of the survey, conducted in the aftermath of the mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., two weeks ago, 56 percent of Americans approve of Obama’s handling of his job as president, compared to 41 percent who disapprove.

Gee at this rate President Obama will leave office with a job approval in the mid to high 60’s…….

Just as Clinton did…….. But without all the shenanigans

And for many …………. They may not be pleased with Obama’s good job approval numbers………..

With all the unemployed, and then those enslaved by Obamacare, he's got all those people in his back pocket.

Oh, hey look! The new season of the Kardashians is on!

With all the unemployed, and then those enslaved by Obamacare, he's got all those people in his back pocket.

Enslaved?

Hyperbolic blather.

President Obama’s approval rating is at its highest level in more than five years, an ABC News/Washington Post poll released on Sunday shows.
According to the results of the survey, conducted in the aftermath of the mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., two weeks ago, 56 percent of Americans approve of Obama’s handling of his job as president, compared to 41 percent who disapprove.

Gee at this rate President Obama will leave office with a job approval in the mid to high 60’s…….

And for many …………. They may not be pleased with Obama’s good job approval numbers………..

And you list yourself as a conservative? You seem a big fan of Obama and Hillary. It's easy to have a high approval rating, when almost the entire mass communications are allies of your political party. It's easy when you are literally never held accountable for incompetence, corruption, partisanship etc, while being praised for every small, superficial thing that you do!

Just imagine if a republican had pulled off the things Obama has done with the IRS, Fast and Furious, the Benghazi failure and coverup, the constant partisanship, the 2 trillion dollar health care plan that HASNT made healthcare more affordable and millions can't afford to see their doctors due to the ridiculously high Obama care deductibles...... That republican would have been shamed out of office and not re-elected in 2012.

Unemployed? What, are you just now reading your 2009 newsfeeds?

Unemployment Rates for States

What planet are you living on? Since you do not seem to be paying attention, we are running on a full employment economy in the US.

Is there a reason you quoted the Pakistan Observer for this story?

Enslaved? How do you mean?

Is there a reason you quoted the Pakistan Observer for this story?

No reason.........I read widely in the foreign press..........

Why you ask.........

Because if you really want to know what is going on in the US.......

The foreign press will tell you...........

NYT, WP are good.......

But even they do not seem to tell the whole story......

What planet are you living on? Since you do not seem to be paying attention, we are running on a full employment economy in the US.

If so, then it's still a pretty tepid recovery with a 1-2% GDP growth, a lower than most recent administrations.

The rate of real economic growth is the single greatest determinate of both America’s strength as a nation and the well-being of the American people.
On Thursday the Commerce Department announced that the US economy expanded at the slowest pace in two years. GDP growth rose at an anemic 0.5% rate after a paltry 1.4% fourth quarter advance.
Ronald Reagan brought forth an annual real GDP growth of 3.5%.
Barack Obama will be lucky to average a 1.55% GDP growth rate.
This ranks Obama as the fourth worst presidency on record.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...rst-president-ever-not-see-single-year-3-gdp/
http://www.realclearmarkets.com/art...mas_sad_record_on_economic_growth_101987.html
On Friday, the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) reported that 2015 U.S. real GDP (RGDP) growth was 2.38%. No matter what revisions are subsequently made, 2015 will have been the tenth year in a row that RGDP growth came in at under 3.0%. The longest previous such run in U.S. economic history was only four years, and the last time that this happened was during the Great Depression (1930 - 1933).
Even worse, and this should be the defining issue of the 2016 elections, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) is now forecasting that America will never see 3.0% economic growth again. This should be drawing howls of protest, at least from Republicans, but there has been little reaction thus far.
From 1790 to 2000, U.S. RGDP growth averaged 3.79%. America needs at least 3.0% economic growth-the nation cannot defend itself and pay its bills without it. However, America's elites have largely given up on growth, and are now distracting themselves with academic musings about "secular stagnation."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevemoore/2016/01/05/obamas-economic-record-dismal/
While Obama seems to be oblivious to it, his White House can't explain it in any meaningful and satisfactory way.
So Barack Obama is back from Hawaii and the Los Angeles Times reports the president will trumpet his economic record. The Times reports:
‎Eager to stay on the offensive as new Republican majorities are seated in Congress, the president plans to take a more bullish economic message on the road next week in something of an early test drive of his State of the Union message.
During stops in Michigan, Arizona and Tennessee, Obama plans to draw a connection between actions his administration took early in his presidency and increasingly positive economic trends in sectors such as manufacturing and housing.‎
Wow. Talk about a Washington bubble. Is he really going to tout his economic record? That’s called leading with your chin and maybe before he falls flat on his face, he might want to examine a new Joint Economic Committee report card on Obamanomics.
On almost every measure examined, the 2009-15 recovery since the recession ended in June of 2009 has been the meekest in more than 50 years.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/28/wh-struggles-explain-weak-economy-obama-boasts/

So I think I'd revise your own news feeds to more honest and less partisan ones, frankly.

No reason.........I read widely in the foreign press..........

Why you ask.........

Because if you really want to know what is going on in the US.......

The foreign press will tell you...........

NYT, WP are good.......

But even they do not seem to tell the whole story......

Not tell the whole story? Yes, that's true. in this case most certainly (see my post above).

I'm living on Planet Reality.
The Misleading Jobs Rate
"The so-called Labor Force Participation rate hasn't been this low since the late 1970s."
"About 2.1 million Americans have been unable to get a job for over half a year."
"the reality is wage growth is only 2.5% a year. As Sharon Stark of D.A. Davidson notes, normally when unemployment is this low, wage growth should be humming along at about 4% a year."

Just because Lord Obama and his cronies "say" the economy is great doesn't mean it "is." Our government's "unemployment rate" is tragically manipulated and sterilized. It's about as honest as Hillary Clinton. It's about as believable as when Obama promised his "most transparent administration."

I'm living on Planet Reality.
The Misleading Jobs Rate
"The so-called Labor Force Participation rate hasn't been this low since the late 1970s."
"About 2.1 million Americans have been unable to get a job for over half a year."
"the reality is wage growth is only 2.5% a year. As Sharon Stark of D.A. Davidson notes, normally when unemployment is this low, wage growth should be humming along at about 4% a year."

Just because Lord Obama and his cronies "say" the economy is great doesn't mean it "is." Our government's "unemployment rate" is tragically manipulated and sterilized. It's about as honest as Hillary Clinton. It's about as believable as when Obama promised his "most transparent administration."

The unemployment rate is that of a full employment economy.

You clearly have no clue what the labor participation rate is. That is ok, very few people do. That is why all the right-wing talking heads blow that dog whistle and their dittoheads come a barkin'. The fact is, that substantially all of those not in the work force are retired, disabled, students or stay at home moms. The fact that such people do not have to work is actually a sign of a healthy economy, not an unhealthy one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/12/upshot/the-rise-of-men-who-dont-work-and-what-they-do-instead.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/09/06/the-incredible-shrinking-labor-force-again/
Baby Boomers Are a Big Part of Labor Participation Rate Decline | US News
https://businessincanada.com/2014/0...ing-up-dropping-out-greying-aging-population/
http://qz.com/286213/the-chart-obama-haters-love-most-and-the-truth-behind-it/
https://www.stlouisfed.org/publicat...decline-in-the-labor-force-participation-rate
http://www.factcheck.org/2015/03/declining-labor-participation-rates/

That was a nice pivot away from the number of unemployed people, a point you are not going to win, to the issue of worrying about wage stagnation / underemployment. I agree that is an issue. But, its an issue we have been dealing with since 1980, its nothing new.

Wealth Disparity - Uneven Income Growth.jpgwages v productivy.jpg

Last edited:
So basically, you're saying "that article is full of lies, and MY articles are all genuine," right?

Yeah, ok.

all the unemployed

All? 7.4 million, down from 15.4 million in Oct 2009, a decline of 52%.

It's easy to have a high approval rating, when almost the entire mass communications are allies of your political party.

How does that cause unemployment to fall?

it's still a pretty tepid recovery with a 1-2% GDP growth, a lower than most recent administrations.

They didn't inherit the worst economy since the Great Depression. Why did the previous administration grow the economy at just 1.76% annually?

>>While Obama seems to be oblivious to it, his White House can't explain it in any meaningful and satisfactory way.

I'd say they can, and easily. I just did.

>>I think I'd revise your own news feeds to more honest and less partisan ones

What's partisan about reporting a poll result?

Depends on what you mean by "about." The figure in May was 1,885,000, down 72% from Apr 2010. That number was higher from Apr 2003 — Mar 2004, and it was higher from May 1982 — Feb 1993, both when the civilian labor force was much smaller. Bush43 had it at 2.1 million in June 2003, 1.4% of the labor force, and Reagan had it at 2.9 million in June 1983, 2.6% of the labor force. It's now 1.2%. Sixty percent of the 7.4 million unemployed have been looking for less than fifteen weeks, and thirty percent less than five weeks.

>>"the reality is wage growth is only 2.5% a year. As Sharon Stark of D.A. Davidson notes, normally when unemployment is this low, wage growth should be humming along at about 4% a year."

It's true that wages haven't been increasing at the rate they did 2003-06, but otoh we're not in a housing bubble that's gonna lead to a severe, eighteen-month-long recession. And the rise is slower than what we had 1986-88, but that was followed by a five-year stretch in which the rate of increase fell back down under three percent and stayed there. I will agree that for the economy's performance to be acceptable on this measure, we need to keep climbing and achieve annual increases of three to four percent.

wages_and_unemployment_1980_2015.jpg

>>Just because Lord Obama and his cronies "say" the economy is great doesn't mean it "is."

And just because Obummer-haters "say" the economy is lousy doesn't mean it "is."

>>Our government's "unemployment rate" is tragically manipulated and sterilized.

In what sense?

So basically, you're saying "that article is full of lies, and MY articles are all genuine," right?

The numbers are what they are. And you were rather selective in yer excerpts. For example, that article explained the drop in LFPR pretty much along the same lines as upsideguy.

The economy is better than it was in the Great Recession, but not even President Obama is ready to declare it's booming. In a special speech Friday touting the job gains during his presidency, Obama admitted there's more "to tackle."

"This progress is finally starting to translate into bigger paychecks," he said.

"I don't think we're at normal yet," says Sharon Stark, an investment strategist at D.A. Davidson.​

So I'd say yer peddling a weak and slanted argument. The GOP SSE Great Recession seriously damaged the economy and nearly led to a worldwide depression. The Negro president's patient, steady leadership in the face of bitter partisan opposition that showed little if any concern for the welfare of the American people has helped bring us back from the abyss, and we are now much better positioned and will hopefully spurn the destructive Republican policies that have piled up a mountain of debt and created two deep recessions in the past thirty-five years.

Last edited:
Someone derailed this string.........I guess someone could not deal/accept the fact Obama's job approval is improving.........

Someone derailed this string.........I guess someone could not deal/accept the fact Obama's job approval is improving.........

I guess that means his chance of being re-elected is looking up.

Aren't the people who reject polls about Donald Trump's popularity and then trumpet polls on Obama's popularity silly. The polls produce what the customer wants. It's not a difficult concept. They follow the same guiding principle as Trump and Clinton: If the money's there I do not care."

If so, then it's still a pretty tepid recovery with a 1-2% GDP growth, a lower than most recent administrations.

Barack Obama's Sad Record on Economic Growth | RealClearMarkets

While Obama seems to be oblivious to it, his White House can't explain it in any meaningful and satisfactory way.

So I think I'd revise your own news feeds to more honest and less partisan ones, frankly.

A very nice long-winded irrelevant response. The poster said we had high unemployment. I offered up tables from that partisan source of date, the BLS. We were discussing unemployment, not how much the economy has grown. My news sources know how to stay on topic. How about yours?

Off Topic.gif

Yeah, ok.

My articles do not say your are "full of lies"... they just do a better job of discussing the labor participation rate and why is not a concern. Why don't you read your article about the labor participation rate, as it will tell you exactly what I am telling you; that most of the Not-in-Workforce growth has been from students, retirees in aging population, the disabled and stay at home moms.

People who are not in the labor force&#58 why aren't they working? : Beyond the Numbers: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Labor Force Characteristics (CPS)

Table A-16. Persons not in the labor force and multiple jobholders by sex, not seasonally adjusted

There are current 94M people Not in the Labor Force. Of this, about 600K (1/2 of 1%) are 'discouraged". The republicans like to play this number as if those Not in the Labor Force want to be working and just can't find jobs. The reality is most don't want jobs, and the very few that do, are out of the work force for personal reasons.

Here is another explanation of the labor participation rate....

The chart Obama-haters love most—and the truth behind it — Quartz

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom