• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

OANN getting dropped from DirectTV

Go ahead and enter tears below.

I liked what I saw of Onan.

Do you know who was Onan? He used the with drawl method when he inherited his brother's wife and God killed him for it.

"The Book of Onan" do you want to write it? "The Goals of Onan."

Don't worry, Onan is in the fictional part of the Book.

I wish the article gave more information as to exactly why they dropped OANN.

This was all I could find in the article:

OAN forced itself on DirecTV via lawsuit in 2017, obligating the satellite company to carry its programming as part of a settlement. Contracts between channels and cable providers typically run three to five years, and competition among TV providers has intensified over the past five years with the proliferation of streaming services.

They are being sued = Direct TV does not want any legal issues?

In addition, Dominion voting systems sued OAN in August, 2021 over statements made about the 2020 election. The company alleged that the network made false statements that Dominion's machines were manipulated to skew votes in favor of President Biden.

They are being sued = Direct TV does not want any legal issues?

I heard they called Biden a Russian agent.

All I am familiar with is the Feds sued Direct TV for billions of dollars because they offered a deal to their customers and then did not honor it just a couple of years ago. I know ATT bought them with all their debt and now for some reason Direct TV is on their own to make their own choices. It might have something to do with ATT so in debt they have been trying to get rid of stuff to crawl out of the hole they are in. Last I heard they were trying to dump CNN but wasn't finding any takers.

Direct TV isn't saying why. People are conjecture-ing.

Interesting "programming".

I don't want to hear another conservative talk about freedom ever again. These people do not care and are happy to destroy your freedom, get tough and destroy their freedom or die

Direct TV isn't saying why. People are conjecture-ing.
looks like it was a business decision based on this excerpt from the OP's cite:
... “We informed Herring Networks that, following a routine internal review, we do not plan to enter into a new contract when our current agreement expires,” a DirecTV spokesperson said in a statement.

Subscribers will no longer find OAN among their list of channels come early April, nor will they be able to view it via any of the other major U.S. cable providers, which do not carry it. AT&T, one parent company of DirecTV, played a foundational role in the creation of OANN, an extensive Reuters report revealed last year.

DirecTV’s decision poses an existential threat to the right-wing cable channel. An OAN accountant testified under oath in 2019 that the value of OAN without a contract with DirecTV “would be zero.” A source familiar with the network told The Daily Beast that OAN has struggled to fully staff its operations in recent months. ...
OAN streaming on line causes it to be a direct competitor of direct tv

looks like it was a business decision based on this excerpt from the OP's cite:

OAN streaming on line causes it to be a direct competitor of direct tv
Yup. Direct TV never would pick up Beck's Blaze network and Dish booted it, but it's available for streaming.

Question: Can they tell how many people are watching a streaming channel like they do if you're on cable or tv?

Plenty of other options. They will just go
some where else. No reason to get excited.

All the racist far right white nationalist Trump loving Republicans will not be happy about this.
Really OrphanSlug? Why such a flaming post? Racist white nationalist Trump Republicans? Seriously? Wow!

I do not watch this channel, but I checked our cable provider, and they have OANN listed. These so called "racist white nationalist Trump Republicans" you claim exist in a manor is threatening seem to have several options to get this channel if it is so damn important to them. Direct TV has a reputation problem because they did not honor the contracts they made with their customers and for that the Feds have gone after them suing for billions of dollars on behalf of the customers that were taken. By your thinking, black nationalists who are supported on MSNBC and CNN should be dropped also. Sit and spin on that one for a while.
I know nothing about OANN but I do know I do not support the silencing of any speech and would not support a company that did.

Last edited:
Really OrphanSlug? Why such a flaming post? Racist white nationalist Trump Republicans? Seriously? Wow!

I do not watch this channel, but I checked our cable provider, and they have OANN listed. These so called "racist white nationalist Trump Republicans" you claim exist in a manor is threatening seem to have several options to get this channel if it is so damn important to them. Direct TV has a reputation problem because they did not honor the contracts they made with their customers and for that the Feds have gone after them suing for billions of dollars on behalf of the customers that were taken. By your thinking, black nationalists who are supported on MSNBC and CNN should be dropped also. Sit and spin on that one for a while.
I know nothing about OANN but I do know I do not support the silencing of any speech and would not support a company that did.
Those two sentences don't go together.

no one is "silencing" oann

just like you could migrate to another web platform if debate politics jettisoned you for being other than beneficial to its operations, you would still have the ability to post/speak freely. just not on someone else's platform

direct tv only carried oann as a result of a legal settlement with that dispicable channel
once the contract agreement expires, direct tv will no longer have an obligation to carry a channel it likely deems unbeneficial to its own economic viability. self-interest. surprised you cannot identify with that concept

I have never watched it.

Not interested in right-wing or left-wing sources.

But what took it so long to kick off that channel?

no one is "silencing" oann

just like you could migrate to another web platform if debate politics jettisoned you for being other than beneficial to its operations, you would still have the ability to post/speak freely. just not on someone else's platform

direct tv only carried oann as a result of a legal settlement with that dispicable channel
once the contract agreement expires, direct tv will no longer have an obligation to carry a channel it likely deems unbeneficial to its own economic viability. self-interest. surprised you cannot identify with that concept
They can can chose whatever they want to carry. If the reason was over denying political views, then it isn't alright in my opinion.. The last I read the feds were suing them for not honoring their contracts with their customers.

Last edited:
Plenty of other options. They will just go
some where else. No reason to get excited.

Directv provide huge exposure. But yes, likely a smaller cable or satellite provider might pick them up, like Larry’s Stump Removal & Church for the Lost and Found cable network.

On a serious note it wouldn’t surprise me if OAN shuts down anyway after lawsuits.

In all honesty, I’ve never watched it and never plan to.

Back
Top Bottom