• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

O Moves on 'smart guns'...

The technology itself may eventually prove to be worthwhile, but is it really a pressing need for the federal government to move mountains over? We all know why he is doing this, but even if one presumed that this had nothing to do with future gun control efforts and was all about the wonders of gun technology, the gun industry can finance this effort by themselves. This isn't like the alternative energy sector. I get they already have utilized federal grants, and maybe, just maybe there is a sensible reason for those, but stressing executive action? Really?

The Obama administration also posted online Friday a proposed regulation from the Social Security Administration that officials believe could help keep guns out of the hands of people who are not allowed to own a firearm because of mental illness.

[...]

Advocates for the mentally ill say that those with mental illnesses would be unfairly stigmatized even though they account for only about 4 percent of all incidents of gun violence.

Yeah, no ****. Good on the authors for pointing this out. The popular imagination of the public runs wild over empirical data.

I hope you never need a gun.

But in the case that you do, the probability of being able to do something proactive with that firearm (because you have proper positioning, timing, a clear shot, etc.) and an inability to use your own firearm, but that there is someone else's smart gun near you that is not already encoded to allow your access (which would likely be the case if you were a fellow officer, fellow soldier, or family member), is
EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMELY
low.

Be prepared! ;)

What a noble idea, right along with hugging dictators to bring them to the table, creating a useless AHC, and now a lofty idea to make it more difficult for legal citizens to not only use their weapons, but sniff though their private affairs. But yea, it makes Obama and his supporters feel good about themselves. Puppyfarts and lollipops.
Lol, fingerprint recognition. Great idea on first glance, but I wonder how many digits will be stolen along with the weapons.
What about the gun owners that are all thumbs in a critical situation?
Jokes aside.
Can a gun recognize more than one print? Lets say we own one of these smart guns, my husband isn't home, and someone breaks in to cause me harm. Do I ask the potential rapist to hang on for a while until my husband returns to lend a finger?
The ring....where is the ring honey? Didn't I tell you to leave it in the medicine cabinet?
Social security recipients, they now have their private medical records under scrutiny, because some crooks and those who could have been identified by astute observation, are misusing the 2nd amendment. I am not saying that mentally unstable should have access to a gun, but reading the article, it seems that, in order to sniff out the few that shouldn't own a gun, all recipients records are being examined by the FBI.
What about those who don't have a record? The gangbangers, the traffickers of illegal firearms? Will non smart weapons be a desirable commodity, leading to more back alley deals? Will we be able to legally and free of charge trade the 'old' weapons for a new smart one?
If we are to protect the 2 year old who shouldn't be in possession of a weapon, wouldn't it be better to start with education? We are talking about people who, legally, own a weapon. Why don't we make a safety course mandatory for gun buyers, drilling it in their brains not to leave loaded weapons laying around when kids are present? Where was that decoder ring honey? Is little Johnny licking it?
We are making it harder and harder for responsible gun owners to have a weapon, while criminals and dingbats will still fall through the cracks.
But yeah, it feels good to dream the dream of a non violent and peaceful world in which we just smile and all will be well.

WASHINGTON — President Obama will use the power of his office to push for adoption of so-called smart gun technology that could eventually limit the use of a firearm to its owner, the White House announced Friday morning.

The move is intended to allow Mr. Obama to confront firearms violence in the face of fierce opposition to broader gun control measures. But critics of smart gun technology, including some police officials, are expected to fight a proposal that they see as unproven and an unwarranted restriction on the freedom to use firearms.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/30/u...-weight-behind-smart-gun-technology.html?_r=0

As a retired LEO, and pro-gun activist, I will fight him all the way. Nothing a liberal comes up with, regarding guns, is ever good.

I think if he really believed in that technology he wouldn't have "stopped short of mandating the use of smart guns by federal agencies".

WASHINGTON — President Obama will use the power of his office to push for adoption of so-called smart gun technology that could eventually limit the use of a firearm to its owner, the White House announced Friday morning.

The move is intended to allow Mr. Obama to confront firearms violence in the face of fierce opposition to broader gun control measures. But critics of smart gun technology, including some police officials, are expected to fight a proposal that they see as unproven and an unwarranted restriction on the freedom to use firearms.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/30/u...-weight-behind-smart-gun-technology.html?_r=0

As a retired LEO, and pro-gun activist, I will fight him all the way. Nothing a liberal comes up with, regarding guns, is ever good.

As a law enforcement officer, did you know of any cases where the victim was shot with his or her own firearm, or with a firearm that did not belong to the shooter? Did you know of any cases where kids had gotten hold of the parent's firearms?

As a law enforcement officer, did you know of any cases where the victim was shot with his or her own firearm, or with a firearm that did not belong to the shooter? Did you know of any cases where kids had gotten hold of the parent's firearms?

Sure...several.

Why do I oppose obama on this, or any liberal? For the same reason I oppose any politician in enacting rules and/or laws on many things. Sales taxes are a prime example. They will sell you a bill of goods on taxes and play on people's emotions to get them passed. It always starts small..........and grows ..and grows ..and grows.
Growing up in California, the sales tax was 3%...and grew to 4, 5, 6, 7 and then 8%. The earth quake of 1989 generated a 1/4 % tax for the counties hit the hardest...to rebuild.

Then someone in Sacramento got the bright idea to alter the tax code to have different tax rates in different counties....and provided all the bull**** platitudes and reasons to support that crap. and now.........................

The California sales tax rate is currently 6.25%. However, California adds a "mandatory" local rate of 1.25% that increases the total state sales and use tax base to 7.5%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high at 10.0%. That's just one example of the "evil' of government.

My point......if they develop smart guns, eventually some asshole politician will propose a law that will "mandate" those for everyone....and all other guns will be outlawed and people will have draconian restrictions placed on them for using one of the original guns. It would put an undue financial burden on millions of people who can't afford the new technology....or any new gun. Just like taxes....it opens a big can of worms! So **** obama and **** liberals!

Last edited:
Every gun I own starts out as a "dumb gun". What it is attached to makes it "smart" because attached to them is a 6'-1", 201 pound organic, carbon-based autonomous computing unit with intelligence, hard wired in as to the proper handling, care and storage of every one of my weapons. It has been subjected to repeated programming in the accurate application of such weaponry and is interchangeable among all my weapons and as a matter of fact, all weapons.

(Author unknown)

The only technologies that are dependent on government money are the highly questionable ones. Steve Jobs never needed a grant, nor Bill Gates. Not one of the advanced medical technologies we use today was subsidized. You can water a dessert all you like, but sooner or later it's going back to being desert

You are kidding me right? You truly don't believe that Steve Jobs or Bill Gates benefitted from Governmental investment into computer and internet technology? Neither of those individuals would have been able to accomplish what they did without some type of governmental involvement, even if it was tangental and not through a direct loan.

The same goes for the advanced medical technologies - that were all evaluated by the FDA before they were approved for public use - as well as the fact that many of the technologies saw early versions from medical devices tested for the military to address their needs.

You are kidding me right? You truly don't believe that Steve Jobs or Bill Gates benefitted from Governmental investment into computer and internet technology? Neither of those individuals would have been able to accomplish what they did without some type of governmental involvement, even if it was tangental and not through a direct loan.

The same goes for the advanced medical technologies - that were all evaluated by the FDA before they were approved for public use - as well as the fact that many of the technologies saw early versions from medical devices tested for the military to address their needs.

I did not say not benefitted, but if you can show me a direct subsidy...

Then do so.

Isn't it funny that only gun control advocates like this idea? Did you notice how every single gun owner in this thread rejects it? Does that tell you anything?

That some gun owners view any attempt to address gun violence irrationally?

That's rather stupid. When Obama's bodyguards are limited to such weapons, I might consider them. We don' have any "children" in our home. My only son is 18, a black belt and a highly rated competitive shooter.

Why does the fact that your specific situation is one wherein smart technologies against unintended usage would be less likely to be necessary, why is that a good enough reason to call my general point rather stupid?

no one has passed a law banning airplanes or trains once space travel is realistic. Gasoline driven vehicles are not targeted for becoming contraband when electric cars are readily available

Actually, that's not true.

I did not say not benefitted, but if you can show me a direct subsidy...

Then do so.

I'm not sure that I could, but why is "direct subsidy" the lone example of "depending" on the government then?

Every gun I own starts out as a "dumb gun". What it is attached to makes it "smart" because attached to them is a 6'-1", 201 pound organic, carbon-based autonomous computing unit with intelligence, hard wired in as to the proper handling, care and storage of every one of my weapons. It has been subjected to repeated programming in the accurate application of such weaponry and is interchangeable among all my weapons and as a matter of fact, all weapons.

(Author unknown)

Men aren't willing to endanger their families and communities just because they are cowards. Show some courage and lose the gun.

I am a former police officer and I can tell you it happened all the time.

Much like green energy or the internet, there needs to be a fundamental support from the Government behind these types of new technologies in order to get to a point where they could become close to 100% reliable.

Or you can just cut off access to all other alternatives, forcing the issue. Just make extracting or usage of fossil fuels a Federal felony.

The pass code thing is novel but should always be optional.

If it works, and apparently it does, it must be made mandatory. There is no reason to have it any other way. And I am sure we can get people to hand in their non-complient weapons. After all, these people are all "law abiding citizens," correct?

If it works, and apparently it does, it must be made mandatory. There is no reason to have it any other way. And I am sure we can get people to hand in their non-complient weapons. After all, these people are all "law abiding citizens," correct?

You are so full of it.

Sure...several.

Why do I oppose obama on this, or any liberal? For the same reason I oppose any politician in enacting rules and/or laws on many things. Sales taxes are a prime example. They will sell you a bill of goods on taxes and play on people's emotions to get them passed. It always starts small..........and grows ..and grows ..and grows.
Growing up in California, the sales tax was 3%...and grew to 4, 5, 6, 7 and then 8%. The earth quake of 1989 generated a 1/4 % tax for the counties hit the hardest...to rebuild.

Then someone in Sacramento got the bright idea to alter the tax code to have different tax rates in different counties....and provided all the bull**** platitudes and reasons to support that crap. and now.........................

The California sales tax rate is currently 6.25%. However, California adds a "mandatory" local rate of 1.25% that increases the total state sales and use tax base to 7.5%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high at 10.0%. That's just one example of the "evil' of government.

My point......if they develop smart guns, eventually some asshole politician will propose a law that will "mandate" those for everyone....and all other guns will be outlawed and people will have draconian restrictions placed on them for using one of the original guns. It would put an undue financial burden on millions of people who can't afford the new technology....or any new gun. Just like taxes....it opens a big can of worms! So **** obama and **** liberals!

Or better still: Smart guns that can be disabled remotely.

Men aren't willing to endanger their families and communities just because they are cowards. Show some courage and lose the gun.

actually the real cowards are those who refuse to accept the risk and responsibility of making their own safety a personal duty. Such cowards outsource that duty to the government and seek to ban other men from accepting such responsibility. Why? Because cowards don't want to be reminded of their own inadequacies and timidity by having to see armed men in their vicinity.

Many have said the same thing about space travel, the internet, GPS, solar energy, electric vehicles, self-driving vehicles, etc. etc.

Sci-fi fantasy is usually just technology envisioned a few generations before they actually exist.

I love the idea. So let's start with Obama Secret Service and their guns.

After the guns, let's make all the pointy kitchen knives work as self-defense tools only if in the authorized hands. Then, baseball bats.

Next: breathalyzers. Yeah, if you blow more than an Obama-approved legal limit, your bun just won't work. Which is only logical because when you are too f****** drunk you could hurt yourself. And if we add a smart camera to a gun, the gun's AI may judge the gun owner guilty and fire in reverse to kill the owner.

Finally, to prevent rapes, aka known as unauthorized intercourse, all penises should be equipped with enough smarts to see if the target has given prior consent.

Liberals are so much fun when they talk s***.

I am a former police officer and I can tell you it happened all the time.

the person most likely to be killed with his own firearm is a police officer

Back
Top Bottom