• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NYT: Rosenstein curtailed counterintelligence probe into Trump's Russia ties

PNW Guy

CAUTION: SNARK AREA!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Axios said:
NYT: Rosenstein curtailed counterintelligence probe into Trump's Russia ties

1588372038743.jpg Zachary Basu

1598805356418.jpg

Rod Rosenstein testifying before the Senate, June 3. Photo: Greg Nash-Pool/Getty Images

Former Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein told special counsel Robert Mueller in May 2017 to only conduct a criminal investigation of possible coordination between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin, secretly curtailing an FBI counterintelligence probe into President Trump's ties to Russia, the New York Times' Mike Schmidt reports.

Why it matters: Acting FBI director Andrew McCabe had approved the opening of the counterintelligence investigation out of concerns that Trump's decades of personal and financial dealings in Russia posed a national security threat. Rosenstein, concluding that the probe lacked justification and that McCabe had conflicts of interest, never informed him of the decision.

What they're saying: "We opened this case in May 2017 because we had information that indicated a national security threat might exist, specifically a counterintelligence threat involving the president and Russia,” McCabe told the Times in a statement....[

So Donnie "no collusion" Trump®'s CI investigation was never finished. Why is this unsurprising? I know "fake news" right? :roll:

And from what I read, Mueller was complicit. He agreed to not follow up on the criminal aspects. It was his choice as far as I understood it.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

And from what I read, Mueller was complicit. He agreed to not follow up on the criminal aspects. It was his choice as far as I understood it.

Mr. Crybaby (Rosenstein) was SAD when tweety almost fired him, he was working SO hard to cover that gigantic ass!

Yet another piece of evidence of this administration's corruption for the right to yawn about.

So Donnie "no collusion" Trump®'s CI investigation was never finished. Why is this unsurprising? I know "fake news" right? :roll:

That investigation was a total **** show. An entirely new one will need to be conducted, though I think that can only be possible once Trump is out of office.

That investigation was a total **** show. An entirely new one will need to be conducted, though I think that can only be possible once Trump is out of office.

Every time they say exonerated, they need bitchslapped with this; exonerated by an investagation that was never conducted?

I'm sick of people defending that **** Mueller, when he was the worst special prosecutor to ever investigate a president.

Total joke. Led the public on that he would resolve an important matter of possible public corruption, then went out of his way to avoid testifying to the country, and when he did finally testify he couldn't have looked weaker and less competent.

Mueller's was a Republican, picked by Republicans, as opposed to Starr who was a Republican picked to investigate a Democratic president.

No surprise that the investigation went out of its way to give no reach conclusions, despite uncovering bottomless evidence to support criminal intent, and leaving damning evidence that was present in the 302's but not his final public report.

The worship of Mueller by the left that continued even after we saw what he was made me sick.

When this is all said and done, you'll all have to admit that Trump has been the most famous mob boss in history.

The argument is that Mueller was told to ONLY focus on the criminal aspects, as opposed to the counter-intelligence aspects. We know that this is factually false because the Rosenstein memo instructed Mueller to investigate all aspects. Heck, even the Mueller lawyers say the claim is false.
After the Senate and House reports, it should be clear-- there was no conspiracy in 2016 between Trump and Russia.

The argument is that Mueller was told to ONLY focus on the criminal aspects, as opposed to the counter-intelligence aspects. We know that this is factually false because the Rosenstein memo instructed Mueller to investigate all aspects. Heck, even the Mueller lawyers say the claim is false.
After the Senate and House reports, it should be clear-- there was no conspiracy in 2016 between Trump and Russia.

Kindly show us where in the Mueller Report the counter-intelligence investigation was discussed and what conclusions were reached:

https://www.justice.gov/storage/report.pdf

I will save you some time. Its not there because Mueller did not do a counter-intelligence investigation. The NYT report is correct. We do not really know to what extent Trump may be beholden to the Russians. You have to admit that his actions toward Russia are not without good question by any thinking American.

Alternafacts™® aren't real.

One cannot be exonerated from investigations not conducted.

Your post:

tenor.gif

Kindly show us where in the Mueller Report the counter-intelligence investigation was discussed and what conclusions were reached:

It actually was in his testimony before congress, he let on about the kybosh being put on it, but subtly enough and well, Democrats....

Chuck Schumer's sternly worded letters are harsh enough to make McConnel crack a grin, that's some brutal critque to make an android turtle smile! Schiff is a lil better, but he can't step on any of the legal corruption stuff without stepping on his own dick....

Katie Porter, Liz Warren and AOC are pretty much the toughest attack dogs in the party. They ain't half tough enough by my reckoning either.

Rosenstien made a deal to get out of there with his retirement, which is why he toed the line with his "I'll miss you" speech to trump when he retired.
And this is why, of course he committed treason for trump.

Mueller tried desperately to play both sides and in doing so, sacrificed his reputation, as so many others have for trump.

Rosenstien made a deal to get out of there with his retirement, which is why he toed the line with his "I'll miss you" speech to trump when he retired.
And this is why, of course he committed treason for trump.

Correction, treason isn't valid; war has to have been declared. The word is sedition. Same diff, just different circumstances.

I will save you some time. Its not there because Mueller did not do a counter-intelligence investigation. The NYT report is correct. We do not really know to what extent Trump may be beholden to the Russians. You have to admit that his actions toward Russia are not without good question by any thinking American.

Da and Duh!

Correction, treason isn't valid; war has to have been declared. The word is sedition. Same diff, just different circumstances.

Rosenstien betrayed this nation, in my opinion. Betrayed/treason Tomato/To-MAH-toe

No. According to what I read, it's the opposite of what you wrote. He was told NOT to focus on the criminal aspects.

Edit: I stand corrected. I re-read the article:

According to the newspaper, former Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein had ordered former special counsel Robert Mueller to examine "any links and/or coordination between the Russian government" and Trump's campaign, but former law enforcement officials said that privately, Rosenstein told Mueller to conduct only a criminal investigation.

New York Times: Justice Department secretly curtailed investigation into Russian election interference - CNNPolitics

I remembered it incorrectly.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Last edited:
Rosenstien betrayed this nation, in my opinion. Betrayed/treason Tomato/To-MAH-toe

In 50 years, when a full accounting of Trump is finally done, there will be a lot of cowards and enablers that history will record as fools. These will be people in position and public trust to have revealed the truth, but choose to look the other way to protect their jobs or their pensions.

We have asked our soldiers to give their lives to defend our democracy, but these fools were too much of cowards to even risk their paychecks to do the right thing. Pathetic.

It appears that Mueller and Rosenstein may be among them. History will also be particularly unkind to McConnell and Barr, but there will be quite a list, including all Republican US Senators.

For that matter, I doubt history will be kind to Trump voters. They likely will be portrayed as gullible fools, but that is another discussion.

Last edited:
In 50 years, when a full accounting of Trump is finally done, there will be a lot of cowards and enablers that history will record as fools. These will be people in position and public trust to have revealed the truth, but choose to look the other way to protect their jobs or their pensions.

We have asked our soldiers to give their lives to defend our democracy, but these fools were too much of cowards to even risk their paychecks to do the right thing. Pathetic.

It appears that Mueller and Rosenstein may be among them. History will also be particularly unkind to McConnell and Barr, but there will be quite a list, including all Republican US Senators.

For that matter, I doubt history will be kind to Trump voters. They likely will be portrayed as gullible fools, but that is another discussion.

Unless the cheating works, then....

tenor.gif

And since the "winner" writes the history:

But it could be worse, like....

OBAMA!!!:shock:

LOL. Have you forgotten that Rosenstein wanted to secretly record Trump to prove he was unfit and bring on the 25th amendment? You guys never get tired of peddling your ****, do you?

Mueller inherited Comey's counter-intelligence investigation. He was tasked to look into all connections. Nothing criminal and no counter-intelligence threat.

Are we seriously arguing in favor of the proposition that the surveillance authority of the USA ought to to be directed toward presidential candidates-- including opponents of the incumbent? If so, why the impeachment of Trump? Wouldn't you want to know why Biden threatened Ukraine?

Back
Top Bottom