• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"NYT Blogger Who Knocked Fox News' Audience Diversity Has the Same Problem"

WingsOfDesire

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
snipped
...As Stelter tweeted,

"Fox, as we all know, has biggest audience in prime time. But among African Americans, it's smallest -- 29k vs. 134k for CNN, 145k for MSNBC."
This of course, played into the "Fox is racist" meme, and, not surprisingly, Stelter's words were retweeted many times (and also inspired several media blogs to further discuss Fox News' lack of diversity).

Interestingly, though, the media site where Stelter primarily blogs (New York Times' Media Decoder) suffers from the lowest percentage of African-American readers (4.6%) when compared to comparable media sites like Mediaite (5.8%), Gawker (6.4%), Mediabistro (9.2%), etc., according to Nielsen Media Research...

An interesting article I noticed a bit earlier. I'm not too big on labeling a station left- or right-wing because of the sheer volume of news they report and the uncountable number of people that get in their voices over the period of the day/week/etc etc. makes it impossible to say it is simply one or the other all the time.

But putting that aside, it's always funny to me when people criticize a network without facts to support their claims or find out their own 'favorite' network is just as bad or what have you. This is just a case of 'pot meet kettle,' no?

This is some racist **** right here.

So you are comparing a well known tv news station vs an unknown blogger... , typical right wing tactic of attacking those pointing out something not so nice... ... all this instead of actually dealing with the problem of Fox News and its lack of trust among a large portion of the population.

So you are comparing a well known tv news station vs an unknown blogger... ,.

No he wasn't "comparing" anything, he was pointing to the blogger's hypocracy (which I suspect may actually be ignorance). Either way, it illustrates the stupidity and pointlessness of the blogger's attack... throwing stones in a glass house.

typical right wing tactic of attacking those pointing out something not so nice ... all this instead of actually dealing with the problem of Fox News and its lack of trust among a large portion of the population.

And you say this instead of taking time to read and comprehend the meaning of the OP, or are you just trying to obfuscate and change the subject? Who cares what color person watches what? Content is what matters...the blogger's attack was not about content or substance, just race. In fact, that's another reason why the blogger looks like such an idiot IMO.

No he wasn't "comparing" anything, he was pointing to the blogger's hypocracy (which I suspect may actually be ignorance). Either way, it illustrates the stupidity and pointlessness of the blogger's attack... throwing stones in a glass house.

Not really. Apples and Oranges are being compared, which is my point. Had the blogger been on MSNBC or some other news channel (even NBC, ABC and so on) then it could be comparable. Here we are talking about a blogger who only became famous because he made this poll and came out with comments attacking Fox News and the right (and rightfully so) vs a multi million dollar some what global news channel that dominates US cable news. If Fox News was to be as "fair and balanced" and have that dominating aspect on the cable news front, then the racial make up of its viewers would be close to the racial make up of the country. It aint. And that is a problem, which is what he points out. He tries to explain why (not that I agree with him fully), but you cant deny that it is not a problem.. That 20% of the population (or whatever the % of blacks is) dont watch the news channel that basically sets the agenda of US politics in many cases.

And you say this instead of taking time to read and comprehend the meaning of the OP, or are you just trying to obfuscate and change the subject? Who cares what color person watches what? Content is what matters...the blogger's attack was not about content or substance, just race. In fact, that's another reason why the blogger looks like such an idiot IMO.

It matters because race still matters in the US. Like it or not both sides use race to "prove points" almost on a daily basis. I cant count the number of times I have seen the right blame "the black population" for things like bad healthcare statistics (on these boards that is).. if race does not matter in the US, then why is it still used as an excuse by both sides? If race does not matter then why is most statistical material (official and non official) broken up in race brackets as well?

Last edited:
Not really. Apples and Oranges are being compared, which is my point. Had the blogger been on MSNBC or some other news channel (even NBC, ABC and so on) then it could be comparable. Here we are talking about a blogger who only became famous because he made this poll and came out with comments attacking Fox News and the right (and rightfully so) vs a multi million dollar some what global news channel that dominates US cable news.

I was saying the OP wasn't comparing the two organizations. If one wants to make a comparison, however, there's no reason why one couldn't-- the demographics of a particular firm's viewership or readership are determined independent of scale (this was the method, not of the OP above but the writer of the article in the OP). So really, it's not apples and oranges, but big apples and little apples.

If Fox News was to be as "fair and balanced" and have that dominating aspect on the cable news front, then the racial make up of its viewers would be close to the racial make up of the country. It aint. And that is a problem, which is what he points out. He tries to explain why (not that I agree with him fully), but you cant deny that it is not a problem.. That 20% of the population (or whatever the % of blacks is) dont watch the news channel that basically sets the agenda of US politics in many cases.

And yet you won't level the same complaint against the blogger himself? He may not blog for a huge organization, but almost everyone has access to the internet and percentages are not dependent upon the scale of the organization or the number of viewers.

And what's the problem anyway? It is no secret that the black population of the US tends toward the left, why is it a big surprise that they would tend to watch TV that shares that tendency?

It matters because race still matters in the US. Like it or not both sides use race to "prove points" almost on a daily basis. I cant count the number of times I have seen the right blame "the black population" for things like bad healthcare statistics (on these boards that is).. if race does not matter in the US, then why is it still used as an excuse by both sides? If race does not matter then why is most statistical material (official and non official) broken up in race brackets as well?

It is perpetuated almost constantly, it seems, that doesn't mean it should be. Whenever it is brought up, there is very rarely ever any actual substance to attacks made on racial grounds. That's really one of the most prominent racial problems we actually have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom