• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NYT: At the Lincoln Memorial, a Call for Religious Rebirth

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I must say, I was expecting the Times to go for the throat on this one, but they actually managed to report the news is a reasonably civil and honest manner.

At the Lincoln Memorial, a Call for Religious Rebirth
By KATE ZERNIKE and CARL HULSE
Published: August 28, 2010
The New York Times

WASHINGTON — An enormous and impassioned crowd rallied at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on Saturday, summoned by Glenn Beck, a conservative broadcaster who called for a religious rebirth in America at the site where the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his famous “I Have a Dream” speech 47 years ago to the day.

SNIP

Officials do not make crowd estimates because they are unreliable and can be controversial, but event organizers put the number of attendees at 500,000; NBC News said it was closer to 300,000, but by any measure it was a large turnout. The crowd stretched from the Lincoln Memorial to the Washington Monument.

SNIP

Across town, several hundred people packed a football field at Paul Laurence Dunbar High School to stage a rally commemorating Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech.

“We come here because the dream has not been achieved,” said the Rev. Al Sharpton, an organizer of the rally. “We’ve had a lot of progress. But we have a long way to go.”

Hey, I also read that Rev. Al was selling t-shirts and photos of Dr. King, so maybe he made a few bucks... lololol

I think this nation has no need for a religious rebirth. I like the fact that we are once again becoming a more secular and rational nation.

I think this nation has no need for a religious rebirth. I like the fact that we are once again becoming a more secular and rational nation.

Of course you do. Look at how wonderful it's turned out so far?

Of course you do. Look at how wonderful it's turned out so far?

I think it has turned out great. Our economy is making a comeback, America is finally starting to become comfortable with the idea that two people who love each other should be able to marry regardless of orientation, our crime rates are decreasing as we become a more secular nation, our educational standards are increasing, etc. All in all, it's turning out pretty well if I do say so myself.

What a (bleep!) ing circus, but it is only a two ring circus! Over here, we have Glenn Beck, aka, PT Barnum, over there, we have Al Sharpton, aka Bozo the Clown, and the crowd is loving it? Where are the lion tamers? The fire eaters?

King must be turning over in his grave.

Back
Top Bottom