• Please keep all posts on the Rittenhouse verdict here: Rittenhouse Verdict. Note the moderator warnings in the thread. The thread will be heavily moderated with a zero tolerance policy for any baiting, flaming, trolling or other rule breaks. Stick to the topic and not the other posters. Thank you.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NYPD officers under investigation for orchestrating marriage proposal

TheGoverness

Little Miss Sunshine
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Do you have an issue with them doing this? The officers, I mean, staging the proposal.

No. I find it very difficult to have a problem with this.

It was a pretty sweet thing to do.

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Do you have an issue with them doing this? The officers, I mean, staging the proposal.

From a purely professional point of view, yes, the officers misused city property while off duty, for non-police purposes outside of professional conduct.

But, "investigation", at most the officers will get a slap on the wrist, maybe a reprimand at most, if the woman had filed a complaint I'd understand further action, but as there isn't one I don't see why this would need to go any further than "guys, not really what we should be doing".

ajn678

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Maybe things like this might get people to not have such a negative attitude on the police. Community policing and all that. Getting on the good side of the community you protect is a huge issue in policing. A simple outreach like this doesn't cause an issue. I would have different feelings if they were on duty however.

Excon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
From a purely professional point of view, yes, the officers misused city property while off duty, for non-police purposes outside of professional conduct.

But, "investigation", at most the officers will get a slap on the wrist, maybe a reprimand at most, if the woman had filed a complaint I'd understand further action, but as there isn't one I don't see why this would need to go any further than "guys, not really what we should be doing".
↑ This.

They should further reimburse the government/people for the personal use of it's property, hence justifying the investigation.

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
↑ This.

They should further reimburse the government/people for the personal use of it's property, hence justifying the investigation.

I wouldn't go that far, I think most people understand there was no malicious intent here.

Excon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I wouldn't go that far, I think most people understand there was no malicious intent here.
I did not read any one saying there was malicious intent.

This isn't a case of the Police in their Official capacity doing a public relations campaign which could involve anyone.
This was personal use/misuse of the Government's/people's property, as such it should be reimbursed.
Such conduct should be actionable. So reimbursement with a reprimand would make sense.

reinoe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Of all the crap that the NYPD SHOULD get investigated for, instead it's this? THIS???? Seriously, I'm flabbergasted. Even if I think the NYPD is among the worst, if not the worst, police force in this country there shouldn't be an investigation into this marriage proposal.

Ikari

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left

Of all the things the police can do, this surely was not harmful.

Now I understand that aggregately, you can't have cops running around all the time doing something of this sort. But is it horrible? No. We investigate this, but let cops who kill unarmed citizens go...I think perhaps our priorities are messed up.

Top Bottom