• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NYPD Commences Use Of Iris Scans Of Suspects

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
The NYPD says the images will be used to help avoid cases of mistaken identity. The process takes about five seconds. Every suspect will be scanned again using a handheld device shortly before they are arraigned to make sure the irises match.

Police say the software, handheld device and cameras cost about $23,800 each, and 21 systems will be used around the city.

NYPD Begins Using Iris Scans On Suspects CBS New York – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY

The march of Big Brother continues. Lets give more power to thugs who are just as corrupt if not more with the LAPD and Chicago PD. Thanks Feudal Lord Bloomberg!

I dont see it as a big deal, its a much more effective way to establish identity, which is something is done in a million other ways anything.

I completely fail to see how this is 'Big Brother'-ish.

I think 'someone' has issues with people of authority:ninja:

I dont see it as a big deal, its a much more effective way to establish identity, which is something is done in a million other ways anything.

Fingerprinting became outdated how again?

I think 'someone' has issues with people of authority:ninja:

Paradon me for having a problem with government thugs.

There's nothing wrong with fingerprinting, which is why I don't see a prolem with iris scanners. Its the same information, but its just impossible to give someone a partial iris.

Did you not read your own quote?

The NYPD says the images will be used to help avoid cases of mistaken identity. The process takes about five seconds. Every suspect will be scanned again using a handheld device shortly before they are arraigned to make sure the irises match.

Why do you have a problem with replacing fingerprinting with eye scanning? Does merely being more sci-fi-ish make it scarier somehow? Why is one method of establishing your identity different than another?

Instead of using personal attacks, maybe you could explain why this bothers you.

If they start trying to make it a prerequisite for boarding the subway, THEN I'll have a problem with it.

Back
Top Bottom