• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NYC restaurants sued over tipping practice

When I sit down in a restaurant, an evaluation process begins immediately. I will tip 0%, 5%, 10%, 15% or 20%. 20% means you were absolutely fantastic. You were always smiling, you kept my drink filled, got my order right and were all around an excellent waiter. This usually only goes out to Mexican restaurants.

The tip then drops down in levels as the performance drops. It takes a LOT for me to get down to 0%, but it's happened.

If the tip is automatic, there is no motivation for the waiter to bring his A-game.

I absolutely hate restaurants that add automatic gratuities. Especially since it seems like they all add the automatic gratuity on, and then still have the tip line on the bill when they bring it to you to sign.

If a restaurant expects me to pay most of my waiter's salary out of my own pocket, then it should be up to me how much their service was worth, not the restaurant.

If a restaurant expects me to pay most of my waiter's salary out of my own pocket, then it should be up to me how much their service was worth, not the restaurant.

Any time you do business with an employee/representative of a business you're paying all of that employee's/representative's salary out of your pocket.

Usually it's figured in to the total charge and non-negotiable.

The restaurant industry is one of the very few that actually allows you to pay less than some going rate based upon your perception of the employee's service.

I didn't even bother reading the article but the headline says enough - they want "minimum wage" + tips.

That is just not economically viable for a business.

"Here's your food dummy" - " I don't give a ****."

I worked as a server back in the day and servers should rely on gratuity .

I don't go out to eat much, however when I do I leave epic tips (as long as I'm treated nicely).

3/10 they will say "wait your change" and I say "your change."

When you can afford it - why not?... I have everything I need.

It's just funny when they smile tho - they react like they're on some reality TV show.

Why does doing something nice for another individual have to be such an event?

Can't someone just enjoy paying it forward anonymously.

Back
Top Bottom