• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NYC Mayor Eric Adams makes a good point about social media re: subway shooter

Schism

Destroyer of Propaganda
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Adams says social media firms should have flagged alleged subway shooter Frank James’ vile rants
Mayor Eric Adams said Wednesday that social media firms could have flagged worrying behavior from suspected N-train shooter Frank James by alerting law enforcement to his vile online video rants before the terrifying attack.

The 62-year-old posted a string of videos on YouTube which frequently included racist diatribes and in which Adams was singled out and threatened by name. In one, uploaded just a month ago, James said he had “entered the danger zone.”

“We are watching signs around us of those who are leaning toward violent actions and ignoring them,” Adams told CNN during a morning interview.

“I cannot play a song on a social media channel that belongs to someone else without them identifying that. Why aren’t we identifying these dangerous threats,” Hizzoner asked. “Why aren’t we being more proactive instead of waiting for this to happen?”

“There is some responsibility, I think, on social media industries and companies,” he added. “[We] must lean into why we’re watching these postings and these threats every day, and no one is giving an early warning sign to law enforcement.”

I like this guy. I like that he's not BS'g when it comes to crime, reform, and responsibility.

As for social media, these posts were obviously racist and included threats of violence. Why wasn't this flagged and removed for ToS violations?

The truth is, Mayor Adams is an idiot.

He falsely claimed that the shooter used an automatic weapon.

"No matter what an individual is feeling, there is no excuse for taking an automatic weapon with a smoke bomb and a gas mask and discharge thirty-two rounds in our subway system. . . "

NY Mayor Eric Adams Adams is a lying P.O.S. . . the gun used in the shooting was NOT an automatic weapon. Adams knew this. He's a P.O.S. liar.

We need to stop empowering the Marxist liars.

The truth is, Mayor Adams is an idiot.

He falsely claimed that the shooter used an automatic weapon.

"No matter what an individual is feeling, there is no excuse for taking an automatic weapon with a smoke bomb and a gas mask and discharge thirty-two rounds in our subway system. . . "

NY Mayor Eric Adams Adams is a lying P.O.S. . . the gun used in the shooting was NOT an automatic weapon. Adams knew this. He's a P.O.S. liar.

We need to stop empowering the Marxist liars.
To the best of my knowledge there are no fully automatic handguns. Semi-automatic handguns are often called automatics by everyone. You know this.

Adams says social media firms should have flagged alleged subway shooter Frank James’ vile rants

I like this guy. I like that he's not BS'g when it comes to crime, reform, and responsibility.

As for social media, these posts were obviously racist and included threats of violence. Why wasn't this flagged and removed for ToS violations?
He has a point, but considering the millions--billions--of posts on social media, we can't expect them to monitor them all. VIEWERS need to report when they see someone like that. If you see something, say something. Don't put all the responsibility on others. If James was like that on social media, do you think he was a lot different in real life? I doubt it.

He was looked at by the FBI--maybe fb referred him, who knows? FBI looked in their crystal ball and said he was not dangerous. I know it's an impossible task, and people have the right to be bigots and say so, but maybe they could take a mentally unbalanced guy a little more seriously? I don't know what they'd do about him. Can you be arrested and jailed for running your mouth? I'm asking. I don't know what could have been done to stop him. Our attitude seems to be freedom of speech until you blow.

He has a point, but considering the millions--billions--of posts on social media, we can't expect them to monitor them all. VIEWERS need to report when they see someone like that. If you see something, say something.

Yes, but should the concerned user report to the moderators, or directly to the FBI?

I'm thinking the latter. Silencing people who blow off too much steam is likely to have the opposite effect in the real world.

Don't put all the responsibility on others. If James was like that on social media, do you think he was a lot different in real life? I doubt it.

He was looked at by the FBI--maybe fb referred him, who knows?

Indeed. It may be the legal obligation of FB to report actual threats, but it's not in their business model to tell the users about that.

FBI looked in their crystal ball and said he was not dangerous. I know it's an impossible task, and people have the right to be bigots and say so, but maybe they could take a mentally unbalanced guy a little more seriously? I don't know what they'd do about him. Can you be arrested and jailed for running your mouth? I'm asking.

If you make credible threats against a real individual yes. Hate crime style threats against a social group, I'm not so sure.

I don't know what could have been done to stop him. Our attitude seems to be freedom of speech until you blow.

They could have charged him, and taken his guns off him as a bail condition. And he probably wouldn't stand trial, if he attended psychiatric sessions also as part of bail.

Gun rights advocates who like to dismiss most mass shootings as "a mental health problem" probably haven't considered that people would need to be compelled into treatment based only on warning signs. I'm not entirely comfortable with it myself: free speech has a dark side, in people revealing their need of treatment.

I was wondering how the initial height description 5'5" was so wrong?
The guy they arrested looked more like 5'9".

To the best of my knowledge there are no fully automatic handguns.

Wrong. Some semi-auto handguns can be altered to operate full-auto.

Semi-automatic handguns are often called automatics by everyone. You know this.
Adams is lying. He knows damn well that the gun used in the subway shooting wasn't automatic. Adams will likely use this lie to propel his anti-gun agenda. He's not the first scumbag to use this little trick.

You're trying to defend the mayor's lie with a straw-man argument. What compels you to do this?

To the best of my knowledge there are no fully automatic handguns. Semi-automatic handguns are often called automatics by everyone. You know this.
you are both right and wrong-people often call semi autos "automatics" though this former cop should have known better. But there are fully automatic handguns-the Glock 18 for example (which has never been legally available in the USA to private citizens)

If by "everyone" you mean idiots, then yes, yes they are.

They weren’t racist because he’s black and blacks can not be racist because they have no power in this nation.

At least that’s the way the “logic” goes.

Also, since blacks vote predominantly for Democrats they get a complete pass on things like racism and crime.

He has a point, but considering the millions--billions--of posts on social media, we can't expect them to monitor them all. VIEWERS need to report when they see someone like that. If you see something, say something. Don't put all the responsibility on others. If James was like that on social media, do you think he was a lot different in real life? I doubt it.

He was looked at by the FBI--maybe fb referred him, who knows? FBI looked in their crystal ball and said he was not dangerous. I know it's an impossible task, and people have the right to be bigots and say so, but maybe they could take a mentally unbalanced guy a little more seriously? I don't know what they'd do about him. Can you be arrested and jailed for running your mouth? I'm asking. I don't know what could have been done to stop him. Our attitude seems to be freedom of speech until you blow.
Sounds like people want an NSA spying program to track all social media posts (which there probably already is). Can't catch everything and we do have free speech so can't assume everybody who posts something negative or violent will actually do something. for every 1 there is someone who actually acts out,t ehre are probably 99 rants and violent nonsense spewed by people that are just venting and they don't act out. And you can't monitor everybody who says violent or messed up things, there aren't enough resources.

it is easy to judge with 20/20 vision hindsight and finger point. The fact is, our healthcare system is a joke, mental health goes untreated, people with problems just get continually shit on like most in society, and this is the type of shit our lack of spending on actual citizens gives us, along with stupidity of such easy access to guns

Sounds like people want an NSA spying program to track all social media posts (which there probably already is). Can't catch everything and we do have free speech so can't assume everybody who posts something negative or violent will actually do something. for every 1 there is someone who actually acts out,t ehre are probably 99 rants and violent nonsense spewed by people that are just venting and they don't act out. And you can't monitor everybody who says violent or messed up things, there aren't enough resources.

it is easy to judge with 20/20 vision hindsight and finger point. The fact is, our healthcare system is a joke, mental health goes untreated, people with problems just get continually shit on like most in society, and this is the type of shit our lack of spending on actual citizens gives us, along with stupidity of such easy access to guns

And again, you cast doubt on the ability of the courts to force people into treatment, and hold out the false hope that increasing the availability of healthcare would someone "trickle down" to violently anti-social people.

Listen. They don't think there's anything wrong with them. They think there's something wrong with everyone else, that's why they want to kill us.

User reporting to site moderators (or directly to police if moderators blow it off) provides a local standard of what is acceptable free speech on that platform, and filters out a lot of steam-blowing-off. If moderators are not already required to report threats or specific speculation (which borders on conspiracy) then we could make them so by law, since banning the user only makes it more likely they will commit a crime. Then we need laws specifically for mental illness, in which emergency mental health assessment and disarmament are both required to get bail. And if the person refuses that, they are charged with criminal conspiracy.

Back
Top Bottom