• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NY won’t enforce booster mandate for health care workers

holbritter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Why? I guess they care about the amount of staffing now. So when it suits those in charge, the mandate can be forgotten?

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York will not enforce its mandate requiring health care workers to get COVID-19 boosters in light of concerns about staffing shortages, state health officials said Friday.
Still, several dozen nursing homes reported as few as 0% of workers with booster shots, with rates lowest in Brooklyn as well as upstate counties in the Finger Lakes, central and northern New York.

Meanwhile, 54% of 514,000 hospital staff have booster shots, according to state data. Fewer than one-third of workers reportedly had booster shots at two dozen hospitals from the Bronx, to Rockland County, to Utica, to Erie County.

State health officials are pointing to a rosier figure: the number of staffers who have a booster shot or say they’re willing.

“While we are making progress with 75% of staff received or are willing to receive their booster, the reality is that not enough healthcare workers will be boosted by next week’s requirement in order to avoid substantial staffing issues in our already overstressed healthcare system,” Bassett said in a statement.

Why? I guess they care about the amount of staffing now. So when it suits those in charge, the mandate can be forgotten?

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York will not enforce its mandate requiring health care workers to get COVID-19 boosters in light of concerns about staffing shortages, state health officials said Friday.
Still, several dozen nursing homes reported as few as 0% of workers with booster shots, with rates lowest in Brooklyn as well as upstate counties in the Finger Lakes, central and northern New York.

Meanwhile, 54% of 514,000 hospital staff have booster shots, according to state data. Fewer than one-third of workers reportedly had booster shots at two dozen hospitals from the Bronx, to Rockland County, to Utica, to Erie County.

State health officials are pointing to a rosier figure: the number of staffers who have a booster shot or say they’re willing.

“While we are making progress with 75% of staff received or are willing to receive their booster, the reality is that not enough healthcare workers will be boosted by next week’s requirement in order to avoid substantial staffing issues in our already overstressed healthcare system,” Bassett said in a statement.
That does seem to be the case based on Bassett's comment at the end. I've said in other threads that we're at the point where COVID exhaustion has reached the point where it will start impacting policy.

Yep, obviously “the science” has changed (yet again). ;)

This strikes me as more of a reflection of the dire circumstances that the health industry faces than a condemnation of those in charge. This is hardly a decision of convenience.

This strikes me as more of a reflection of the dire circumstances that the health industry faces than a condemnation of those in charge. This is hardly a decision of convenience.

That (bolded above) is exactly what it was. Had the ‘booster’ mandate not been rescinded, it would have resulted in a government mandated healthcare worker shortage. Surely, you are not going to argue that “the science” had changed.

Yep. The industry has seen loses in personnel throughout the pandemic due to burn out and a variety of other reasons.

That (bolded above) is exactly what it was. Had the ‘booster’ mandate not been rescinded, it would have resulted in a government mandated healthcare worker shortage. Surely, you are not going to argue that “the science” had changed.
Where are they going to in order to fill the shortages?

Who are “they”?
JFC. Health care facilities.

This reversal of position (aka flip-flop) was done to prevent creating more shortages.
Um….duh? You’re making this out to be an abandonment of principle and science due to hypocrisy or something, rather than a reflection of the dire circumstances that brought them to this place.

JFC. Health care facilities.

Um….duh? You’re making this out to be an abandonment of principle and science due to hypocrisy or something, rather than a reflection of the dire circumstances that brought them to this place.
But it does feel that way. Nothing has changed regarding the care that's given to people in the hospital and nursing homes. Why would they relax the standards for the most vulnerable?
Why can't they just be honest and outright say they don't care if the workers get the booster, we need to keep the staff for the good of the patients. I'd respect and get behind that better.

But it does feel that way. Nothing has changed regarding the care that's given to people in the hospital and nursing homes. Why would they relax the standards for the most vulnerable?
Why can't they just be honest and outright say they don't care if the workers get the booster, we need to keep the staff for the good of the patients. I'd respect and get behind that better.
“New York will not enforce its mandate requiring health care workers to get COVID-19 boosters in light of concerns about staffing shortages, state health officials said Friday.”

It’s…the first sentence.

“New York will not enforce its mandate requiring health care workers to get COVID-19 boosters in light of concerns about staffing shortages, state health officials said Friday.”

It’s…the first sentence.
You're right, and I'm doing a poor job putting into words what I meant. I guess I want to know the 'why' they are no longer behind the 'booster' mandate. Why are the patients no longer a priority in regards to how protected they are from getting covid from a health care worker.

You're right, and I'm doing a poor job putting into words what I meant. I guess I want to know the 'why' they are no longer behind the 'booster' mandate. Why are the patients no longer a priority in regards to how protected they are from getting covid from a health care worker.
Because of staffing shortages.

Okay, let me put this another way:

You hate potatoes. Potatoes make you gag. But due to Bad Circumstances there's a massive food shortage and you're starving, and potatoes are available so you eat them to stay alive.

So what's the bigger story here?

1) Bad Circumstances leading to food shortages and starvation, or
2) You abandoning your preferred foods and choosing to eat potatoes.

Healthcare workers are burned out from all the work they are having to do on COVID-19. Seems the least we can do is vax up so that we don't flood hospitals with COVID cases.

Okay, let me put this another way:

You hate potatoes. Potatoes make you gag. But due to Bad Circumstances there's a massive food shortage and you're starving, and potatoes are available so you eat them to stay alive.

So what's the bigger story here?

1) Bad Circumstances leading to food shortages and starvation, or
2) You abandoning your preferred foods and choosing to eat potatoes.
Strange, but that actually makes sense to me.

Making it up as they go, without rhyme or reason.

Eh…if they didn’t fire people for not getting the vaccine, the shortage wouldn’t be as bad as it is.

Self-inflicted wound.

Guess they really can’t afford to lose that next 25%

We are hopefully moving into the endemic stage. No need for mandates anymore. However, we are watching the BA2 variant closely. If this ends up being way more deadly(VOD) Virus of Death then we may see mandates well into 2023.

Lets hope for the best.

Eh…if they didn’t fire people for not getting the vaccine, the shortage wouldn’t be as bad as it is.

Self-inflicted wound.

Guess they really can’t afford to lose that next 25%
I'm trying to wrap my mind around the concept of being a health care worker....that causes greater levels of death.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the concept of being a health care worker....that causes greater levels of death.
I’m trying to wrap my mind around why we fired people (and some cheered) that we called heroes when they faced the first wave without PPE.

I’m trying to wrap my mind around why we fired people (and some cheered) that we called heroes when they faced the first wave without PPE.
Uh, they did have Personal Protection Equipment, and most if not all used every bit of it....but then some fringy elements dismissed the most effective PPE, vax.

So again, how in the hell does a health care worker get to the point of discarding the most effective form of covid mediation causing them to be a typhoid Mary for those they are supposed to care for??

Uh, they did have Personal Protection Equipment, and most if not all used every bit of it....but then some fringy elements dismissed the most effective PPE, vax.

So again, how in the hell does a health care worker get to the point of discarding the most effective form of covid mediation causing them to be a typhoid Mary for those they are supposed to care for??
There was a PPE shortage at the beginning of Covid. They did not have sufficient PPE and often wore the same masks for shift and shift.

And hey…I don’t work in healthcare so 🤷‍♀️ I’m not the one facing burnout because there aren’t enough healthcare workers. Self inflicted wound…so oh well. It is what it is. Bad leadership making bad decisions.

There was a PPE shortage at the beginning of Covid.
They did not have sufficient PPE and often wore the same masks for shift and shift.
Irrelevant, vax supplies is not an issue.
And hey…I don’t work in healthcare so 🤷‍♀️ I’m not the one facing burnout because there aren’t enough healthcare workers. Self inflicted wound…so oh well. It is what it is.
So again, how in the hell does a health care worker get to the point of discarding the most effective form of covid mediation causing them to be a typhoid Mary for those they are supposed to care for?? Are you seriously going to say that is caused by "burnout"? They can't get vaxed because they are "burned out"?

Absurd.

Back
Top Bottom