• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NY passes a package of gun reform

holbritter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
ALBANY — The state Legislature passed a comprehensive package of gun reform legislation Tuesday, including extending the waiting period for background checks from three days to 30 days.

Also included:
A ban on bump stocks, which gives guns the ability to rapid fire, something the federal government outlawed at the end of 2018.
A law that allows the court to order the temporary removal of guns from the possession of people deemed a risk to themselves or others.
A ban on school personnel other than law enforcement officers and security guards from carrying a gun on school property.
A prohibition of the ownership, manufacturing or sale of guns created by a 3-D printer.
Create a Firearm Violence Research Institute in the State University of New York system.
Require the state police to implement a gun buy-back program.

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/in-the-news/daphne-jordan/democrats-pass-series-gun-control-laws

That with them passing the State Dream Act ($27 million giveaway to the children of illegal aliens, that would help ease the cost of higher education for children of illegal immigrants in New York by eliminating potential financial obstacles to obtaining state financial aid for undocumented students seeking to attend an institution of higher education.)

my timeline on leaving NY is being shortened.

ALBANY — The state Legislature passed a comprehensive package of gun reform legislation Tuesday, including extending the waiting period for background checks from three days to 30 days.

Also included:
A ban on bump stocks, which gives guns the ability to rapid fire, something the federal government outlawed at the end of 2018.
A law that allows the court to order the temporary removal of guns from the possession of people deemed a risk to themselves or others.
A ban on school personnel other than law enforcement officers and security guards from carrying a gun on school property.
A prohibition of the ownership, manufacturing or sale of guns created by a 3-D printer.
Create a Firearm Violence Research Institute in the State University of New York system.

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/in-the-news/daphne-jordan/democrats-pass-series-gun-control-laws

That with them passing the State Dream Act ($27 million giveaway to the children of illegal aliens, that would help ease the cost of higher education for children of illegal immigrants in New York by eliminating potential financial obstacles to obtaining state financial aid for undocumented students seeking to attend an institution of higher education.)

I've yet to have a GCA successfully explain the purpose of a waiting period for a law abiding citizen who already ones at least one legal gun.

I suspect a 30-day waiting period will not pass constitutional muster if it goes to the Supreme Court.

Also included:

The "red flag" laws are becoming quite popular and they could be worthwhile but the potential for administrative abuse is sky high.

The "red flag" laws are becoming quite popular and they could be worthwhile but the potential for administrative abuse is sky high.

Doyathink? If those in power believe that the only use for an AR-15 and/or "high capacity magazines" is to kill a lot of people in a short time, , and anyone who wants the capability to kill a lot of people in a short time is mentally ill, then it's a simple mental step to "anyone who has one is a threat to society" and to authorize the law to confiscate all AR-15s and "high capacity magazines".

There seems to be plenty of room to challenge, only a matter of time.

Doyathink? If those in power believe that the only use for an AR-15 and/or "high capacity magazines" is to kill a lot of people in a short time, , and anyone who wants the capability to kill a lot of people in a short time is mentally ill, then it's a simple mental step to "anyone who has one is a threat to society" and to authorize the law to confiscate all AR-15s and "high capacity magazines".

Frankly, my biggest concern with going to a single payer medical system is that then the government will have a "compelling interest" to deem firearm ownership a mental health concern requiring strict regulation.

In related news the Supreme Court granted cert to a challenge to a NYC ordinance that prohibits "premises permit" holders from removing their firearms from the city - to, for example, a range outside the city or to a location where they are legally permitted to possess the firearm.

NYC has it's own permitting scheme separate from the rest of the state. It allows two permits: premises, and carry.

A premises permit allows one to the have the firearm only their home for self defense purposes. Holders may practice at only at 1 of 7 ranges designated by the NYPD.

A carry permit can have conditions attached to it. For example my carry permit, when I lived there, was restricted to hunting and transport to a range. Unless you are an ex-cop, a judge, prosecutor, or celebrity (like D Trump) it is impossible to get an unrestricted carry permit in NYC.

The city justified the regulation by stating the police had observed numerous instances of premises permit holders abusing their permits. It offered no data - arrest records etc - to back up the assertion.
The plaintiffs pointed out that the regulation was unique in the country and had the perverse effect of forcing firearm owners to leave their weapons unattended at home in all cases

Despite that a Federal district court denied a challenge to the ordinance and the 2nd circuit affirmed. Neither of those decisions was surprising given the complete and total deference the circuit shows to local government on firearms issues.

It'll be interesting to see what the SC says given that Kavanaugh seems to be more protective of gun rights than Kennedy was.

Your honor, we received an anonymous tip that Mr. J. Q. Public (our records indicate the he and his eldest daughter are gun owners) is occasionally acting quite oddly and has scared that anonymous caller on more than one occasion. OK, take a chopper, two tanks, three K-9 units and a SWAT team over there and remind him to be him to be nice and calm as you toss every square inch of his property to disarm his household. BTW, if he resists in any way then be sure to charge him with that 'violent crime' - God, how I love you boys and girls in blue.

I suspect a 30-day waiting period will not pass constitutional muster if it goes to the Supreme Court.

Not to mention common sense muster.

What if someone's being stalked or has a nutball ex and wants to buy a gun for protection? They might be dead in 30 days waiting for their right to protect themselves to be approved. It happened in NJ. I started a thread on it years ago.

Also included:

Breaking news: Obama judge orders all conservatives disarmed for posing risks of violence to organized mobs of seditious leftist racist anarchists.

Breaking news: 24 kids and 12 disarmed teachers murdered today in school while waiting for the police to finally move in to stop the gunfire.

Breaking News: Official democrat state gun research team from NYU declares guns unconstitutional. Changes to gun possession laws will be immediately forthcoming.

Breaking News: State police arrest 200,000 'lawless' gun owners today for refusing to hand over their guns to the official state democrat gun-grabbing gestapo.

Not to mention common sense muster.

What if someone's being stalked or has a nutball ex and wants to buy a gun for protection? They might be dead in 30 days waiting for their right to protect themselves to be approved. It happened in NJ. I started a thread on it years ago.

Because the point isn’t safety or intelligent policy. The point is discouragement.

Am I the only one who clicked on here because I thought the thread was about a package of gum reform?

I know Disneyland won't sell gum because people have a tendency to spit it out anywhere so I thought maybe all of NY was outlawing it.

Sorry to interrupt. Carry on.

the USSC has already agreed to hear one case out of NYC's idiocy. Its time for the courts to start performing a colonoscopy on NY and other states that have crapped all over Heller/McDonald

Back
Top Bottom