• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NY Nunchaku Prohibition Violated 2nd Amendment

Gaius46

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Mods: I posted this under Gun Control since the court's decision is based on a 2nd Amendment argument. If this isn't the best place for this please feel free to move it.

A US Federal district judge ruled yesterday that New York State's long term ban on possession of nunchaku violates the 2nd amendment. NY outlawed nunchaku back in the 70s out of fear that, with the growing popularity of martial arts films, that kids and gangs would start using them to commit violent crimes. NY used a similar rational to outlaw switchblade knives in the 50s. Both were cases of real life politicians enacting legislation based on movies and in neither case did the presumed wave of violent crimes ever become reality.

Two points.

1. As you might imagine from my comments above I think the nunchaku ban was idiocy. It was and I'm glad to see it go and would be happy to see the switchblade law overturned as well. Perhaps as well the state will finally take up an overhaul of it's knife laws that in practice leave in the hands of the police whether or not common work tools like leathermen are illegal. NYC is notorious for arresting tradesmen for possessing leathermen and other multitools because the locking blade, if loosened enough, can be made to act like a "gravity knife" which is also illegal to possess in NY - for the same spurious reasons that make switchblades illegal.

2. The case began in 2003, went to supreme court and initially was lost. However in 2010 the SC remanded the case to the lower court in light of the recent incorporation of the 2A against the states. It took 8 years to reach a decision? Really. There is something seriously wrong here if it took 8 years to rehear the case.

Link to the AP article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/federal-court-says-ny-ban-on-nunchucks-unconstitutional/2018/12/17/2bc16590-0258-11e9-958c-0a601226ff6b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.be298696448c

https://www.debatepolitics.com/gun-...d-amendment-strike-down-nys-nunchuck-ban.html

I remember when this idiotic law was passed. Oregon struck down a switchblade ban under the Oregon second amendment provisions. That's why Oregon is the home of some top auto knife makers like Benchmade and Kershaw

anyone out there want to defend the Nunchuck ban?

BTW it is going to be tough for gun banners to claim that AR 15s are not in common use now with this ruling.

https://www.debatepolitics.com/gun-...d-amendment-strike-down-nys-nunchuck-ban.html

I remember when this idiotic law was passed. Oregon struck down a switchblade ban under the Oregon second amendment provisions. That's why Oregon is the home of some top auto knife makers like Benchmade and Kershaw

anyone out there want to defend the Nunchuck ban?

BTW it is going to be tough for gun banners to claim that AR 15s are not in common use now with this ruling.

Damn. Missed that you posted on it already. Carry on over there.........

The nunchaku started out as a tool for flailing grain not as a weapon. In Okinawa peasants were banned from owning weapons so many of the weapons they did use were common tools of various sorts. Thats how it is if they ban weapons, people will just start using common tools as weapons.

The nunchaku started out as a tool for flailing grain not as a weapon. In Okinawa peasants were banned from owning weapons so many of the weapons they did use were common tools of various sorts. Thats how it is if they ban weapons, people will just start using common tools as weapons.

yep-the bo-staff was used to carry buckets of rice
the tonfa was used to grind rice
the Sai was used to plant rice
the Kama was used to cut rice

yep-the bo-staff was used to carry buckets of rice
the tonfa was used to grind rice
the Sai was used to plant rice
the Kama was used to cut rice

So today you could carry a hammer as a weapon, after all hammers are for hammering nails not heads or at least that's what they were originally intended for.

So today you could carry a hammer as a weapon, after all hammers are for hammering nails not heads or at least that's what they were originally intended for.

I know some who do. screwdrivers are nasty weapons as well.

I had a cheap set years ago and thought I was Bruce Lee until I smacked myself with one. *uck that hurt. No more for me.

I had a cheap set years ago and thought I was Bruce Lee until I smacked myself with one. *uck that hurt. No more for me.

those things have several good uses but they aren't nearly as effective as the martial arts movies made them out to be. can you imagine what laws we'd have on swords if a bunch of drunk Democrats watched the Kill Bill I scene where "The Bride" took out several dozen thugs?

those things have several good uses but they aren't nearly as effective as the martial arts movies made them out to be. can you imagine what laws we'd have on swords if a bunch of drunk Democrats watched the Kill Bill I scene where "The Bride" took out several dozen thugs?
SOBs worked great on me.

The nunchaku started out as a tool for flailing grain, not as a weapon. In Okinawa, peasants were banned from owning weapons so many of the weapons they did use were common tools of various sorts. Thats how it is if they ban weapons, people will just start using common tools as weapons.

I'm still surprised that owning a pressure cooker is legal without a permit and fingerprinting after the Boston incident.

I'm still surprised that owning a pressure cooker is legal without a permit and fingerprinting after the Boston incident.

Before there were pressure cookers there were pipe bombs.

Unless you want to outlaw human ingenuity people will find ways to use whatever’s at hand to kill each other.

The origins of the european flail are the same, where they used a bigger version of the same thing to harvest grain, and in dark and middle age europe peasants were often required to supply their own weapons, so farm tools were often used to surprising effects, like the tool used to harvest grain morphed into the flail, or woodcutting axes performing well enough to inspire other weapon types.

If anybody wants to go on a rampage armed with nunchakus they're welcome to try. I used to be into them myself, and lost interest after about the twentieth time I smacked myself in the head with them.

If anybody wants to go on a rampage armed with nunchakus they're welcome to try. I used to be into them myself, and lost interest after about the twentieth time I smacked myself in the head with them.

:lamo

Back
Top Bottom