• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NY Judge uses Second Amendment to strike down NY's Nunchuck ban

TurtleDude

warrior of the wetlands
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/...y7JW2lx8IkXXdWpAKm4dD-NNdh3CpS2eBp-ceT1xO6sgM

Like switchblades and West Side Story-some morons in office who watched "enter the dragon" one too many times, decided to ban the possession of nunchucks in NY. Using the second amendment, a judge struck this idiotic ban down noting that the weapons were in "common use".

BTW for those who whine about the AR 15 not being in common use, they should read this opinion. I suspect more people own AR 15s then nunchucks.

A huge win for ninjas. A bitter defeat for Blue Laws.

A huge win for ninjas. A bitter defeat for Blue Laws.

nunchucks -like switchblades-are not nearly as effective as movies would have you believe. When I was 18, I was a serious table tennis player-and my coach, the Late Lee, Dal Joon (aka DJ Lee) shared his training facility in Columbus with a relative who was a 6th dan blackbelt. The Sensei taught me how to use Nunchucks mainly because the discipline built wrist strength and flexibility which greatly increased the amount of rotation I was able to get on my loops -especially backhand. so I got pretty proficient with these things but later in life, when I was at a training facility run by one of the top police trainers in the country-I realized those things really weren't all that effective against someone who is armed. as noted trainer Massad Ayoob noted "If I go into a room with a knife and the other guy has nunchucks, I will walk out of the room with a broken arm and the other fellow won't walk out at all" (The Truth about Self Defense). And Ayoob was a guy who promoted Nunchucks as an alternative to nightsticks for cops.

Switchblades are fun to play with and good ones are sturdy but most people can open a "flipper" or a spyderco knife even faster than an automatic. Even more ridiculous are the bans on butterfly knives. too many idiots watching too many Steven Seagal films.

Not to brag, but back in high school and college I was a bad ass with nunchaku. I would practice for hours a day rather than waste my time getting dates or making something of myself. ;)

But as “cool” as it looks when a proficient practitioner uses them, they really are pretty useless as a real world weapon. Pretty much any weapon, including your bare hands, would be a better choice in a fight. If a person can kick your ass with nunchaku they would most certainly kick your ass without them as well. Banning them is dumber than banning sticks, to be honest.

All that said, while they aren’t at all practical, they ARE a lot of fun. :)

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/...y7JW2lx8IkXXdWpAKm4dD-NNdh3CpS2eBp-ceT1xO6sgM

Like switchblades and West Side Story-some morons in office who watched "enter the dragon" one too many times, decided to ban the possession of nunchucks in NY. Using the second amendment, a judge struck this idiotic ban down noting that the weapons were in "common use".

BTW for those who whine about the AR 15 not being in common use, they should read this opinion. I suspect more people own AR 15s then nunchucks.
It is quite possible that more people own AR 15's than own nunchucks.

My only experience is a brother who doesn't own an AR 15, but does own nunchucks.
And various other martial arts type weapons, actually...
But he knows how to use them correctly.

Not to brag, but back in high school and college I was a bad ass with nunchaku. I would practice for hours a day rather than waste my time getting dates or making something of myself. ;)

But as “cool” as it looks when a proficient practitioner uses them, they really are pretty useless as a real world weapon. Pretty much any weapon, including your bare hands, would be a better choice in a fight. If a person can kick your ass with nunchaku they would most certainly kick your ass without them as well. Banning them is dumber than banning sticks, to be honest.

All that said, while they aren’t at all practical, they ARE a lot of fun. :)

one thing they are great for is removing a recalcitrant drunk from a car. you squeeze the wrist between the sticks and you have complete compliance and control. I'd rather have two rattan Escrima sticks than a pair of chucks.

As a kid, I was a master nunchuck smith. Very rarely did it fly apart.

It is quite possible that more people own AR 15's than own nunchucks.

My only experience is a brother who doesn't own an AR 15, but does own nunchucks.
And various other martial arts type weapons, actually...
But he knows how to use them correctly.

I have a bunch of chucks-most of them are 40+ years old. There was a place called DOLAN sports in NJ I think that sold some really nice ones including rosewood versions back when I was in college. I used to teach some fellow college students how to use them. The nicest pair I have are made by the same people who make most of the PR-24 (the police nightstick with the handle based on the Okinawan TONFA) and they were actually used by a couple NJ PDs years ago-they are made out of some sort of high impact glass filled plastic. We also have some rattan sticks-plastic versions, some practice heavy plastic Katana, and several Katana - three of which are essentially works of art (Mike Bell, Howard Clark and a Korean Smith whose name I cannot remember how to spell). My son, a black belt, has a rack of those silly throwing stars-banned in some states-you'd be better off throwing an official Rawling baseball or a billiards ball at someone if you wanted to harm them than those over hyped shurikens

in eighth grade, we had a woodshed class. we learned how to run a lathe, a router etc. the shop teacher was a stand up guy and got in some nice Oak and maple and some stout nylon cord-I really wasn't into nunchucks then and Enter the Dragon had just come out but he showed me how to make a pair or two on the lathe and how to use the router to fashion the string channels in them. However, I was more into capital intensive chucks procurement meaning it was easier to buy them for 9-10 bucks then spend an hour in the wood shop

the original ones were allegedly strung together with horse tail hair. we have four horses but I never tried such material out

in eighth grade, we had a woodshed class. we learned how to run a lathe, a router etc. the shop teacher was a stand up guy and got in some nice Oak and maple and some stout nylon cord-I really wasn't into nunchucks then and Enter the Dragon had just come out but he showed me how to make a pair or two on the lathe and how to use the router to fashion the string channels in them. However, I was more into capital intensive chucks procurement meaning it was easier to buy them for 9-10 bucks then spend an hour in the wood shop

A broom handle, cut to size, a piece of rope, a couple big staples and a hammer. Wallah.

A broom handle, cut to size, a piece of rope, a couple big staples and a hammer. Wallah.

which is why that law in NYC was so stupid.

which is why that law in NYC was so stupid.

One must wonder if it wasn't a little racist. It's a symbolic threat that was banned, not a real threat.

If 70,000 sets of chuks sold = 'common use' then 14,000,000 certainly qualifies. And the inclusion of 'arms' as the personal weapon of choice and not just firearms is an important inclusion. Interesting to see if NY appeals and or not.

If 70,000 sets of chuks sold = 'common use' then 14,000,000 certainly qualifies. And the inclusion of 'arms' as the personal weapon of choice and not just firearms is an important inclusion. Interesting to see if NY appeals and or not.

you wonder how many kids made their own out of broom sticks or those mini-baseball bats after watching Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, and other martial arts film stars

you wonder how many kids made their own out of broom sticks or those mini-baseball bats after watching Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, and other martial arts film stars
Plenty! I had a set of 'real' ones...never could use the damn things. I had friends that made them by cutting handles (usually yard implements more than brooms) and then drilling a hole in them and attaching them with rope. 5 minutes...done.

I damn near knocked myself out with chuks once. Also had the obligatory groin shot. Threw them in the closet. While my friends were playing around with theirs (an doing as poorly as I was but I was smart enough to give them up) I started playing around with a cane. Pretty amazing what you can do with it.

I have a bunch of chucks-most of them are 40+ years old. There was a place called DOLAN sports in NJ I think that sold some really nice ones including rosewood versions back when I was in college. I used to teach some fellow college students how to use them. The nicest pair I have are made by the same people who make most of the PR-24 (the police nightstick with the handle based on the Okinawan TONFA) and they were actually used by a couple NJ PDs years ago-they are made out of some sort of high impact glass filled plastic. We also have some rattan sticks-plastic versions, some practice heavy plastic Katana, and several Katana - three of which are essentially works of art (Mike Bell, Howard Clark and a Korean Smith whose name I cannot remember how to spell). My son, a black belt, has a rack of those silly throwing stars-banned in some states-you'd be better off throwing an official Rawling baseball or a billiards ball at someone if you wanted to harm them than those over hyped shurikens

Wow, haven't heard Dolan sports in years. I bought a sete of chucks from them way long time ago.

Actually have been in the process of downsizing everything and I threw them away. Am never going to use them so why have them laying around.
When I did practive with them some 30 years ago I can remember vividly the sensation of poping my elbow with them.

However, the decision is with regard ONLY to nunchucks. I have no idea how she got there. The whole idea that she can't rewrite the statute would indicate that she had a choice of declaring the whole shebang unconstitutional or leaving things as is. Somehow or other, she managed to split the baby.

Good stuff:
1. stupid law (I remember when it was enacted) gets partially overturned
2. some kind of basis for determining "in common use" was used
3. the term "unconstitutional" was actually used in the decision

The not as good...the judge could have and should have gone a lot farther in her ruling and applied her "in common use" criteria to ALL weapons covered by the statute.

Plenty! I had a set of 'real' ones...never could use the damn things. I had friends that made them by cutting handles (usually yard implements more than brooms) and then drilling a hole in them and attaching them with rope. 5 minutes...done.

I damn near knocked myself out with chuks once. Also had the obligatory groin shot. Threw them in the closet. While my friends were playing around with theirs (an doing as poorly as I was but I was smart enough to give them up) I started playing around with a cane. Pretty amazing what you can do with it.

yeah-TDI in Ohio offers a cane defense class and there are self defense canes being made. I believe the HwrangDO master who appears in the foreword of the (in)famous Michael Echanis's books had a section on cane fighting in one of his books (which one I don't recall, I read them all dozens of times 40 years ago). the "Groin rip" tactic was particularly memorable. I Might have to get one though I have a nice cold steel cane that has a sword in it though

Wow, haven't heard Dolan sports in years. I bought a sete of chucks from them way long time ago.

Actually have been in the process of downsizing everything and I threw them away. Am never going to use them so why have them laying around.
When I did practive with them some 30 years ago I can remember vividly the sensation of poping my elbow with them.

I googled them and couldn't find that they still existed I had a book and attended a seminar by some guy who I believe was a rabbi in NYC and a chucks expert. Andy Linick or something like that-I believe he filed an unsuccessful lawsuit when NY banned them.

yeah-TDI in Ohio offers a cane defense class and there are self defense canes being made. I believe the HwrangDO master who appears in the foreword of the (in)famous Michael Echanis's books had a section on cane fighting in one of his books (which one I don't recall, I read them all dozens of times 40 years ago). the "Groin rip" tactic was particularly memorable. I Might have to get one though I have a nice cold steel cane that has a sword in it though
I always figured the sword thing could get you jammed up...and for me it wasnt really necessary. I worked summers at an amusement park in the old west town and we werent allowed to carry any weapons. Good thing a cane isnt a 'weapon'....

I always figured the sword thing could get you jammed up...and for me it wasnt really necessary. I worked summers at an amusement park in the old west town and we werent allowed to carry any weapons. Good thing a cane isnt a 'weapon'....

from 1990 to 2014 I could carry a firearm due to my employment and in 04 I also got an Ohio CCW which I maintain so a sword cane is just another thing I collected but you are correct,

It's because of the rampant increase of gangs doing drive by nunchuckings last year.

NYC still has a total handgun ban (unless you're rich AND have the right political connections). Deal with that before worrying about mall ninja nonsense like nunchuck.

NYC still has a total handgun ban (unless you're rich AND have the right political connections). Deal with that before worrying about mall ninja nonsense like nunchuck.

Deal with it?
How about applaud it ???

"...for one weekend, the city that doesn't sleep was a city without shootings.

New York City went a full weekend without any reported shootings for the first time in more than two decades, police said. This comes near the end of a year that has seen another drop in overall shootings in America's largest city...
"

Published 10/16/18

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-yo...-with-no-shootings-for-first-time-in-decades/

Way to go New York !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom