• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NY governor candidate to reporter: 'I'll take you out'

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
(CNN) -- A confrontation Wednesday night between New York gubernatorial hopeful Carl Paladino and a reporter threatened to turn physical.

The dustup was captured in an exclusive cellphone video by CNN affiliate YNN Albany. It began with New York Post statehouse columnist Fred Dicker pressing Paladino to back up an explosive allegation he made to the Politico website Wednesday that his opponent, Andrew Cuomo, had taken "paramours" during his marriage to Kerry Kennedy.

"Do you have any evidence of the charge you made?"

"You'll get it at the appropriate time. You're not entitled to it," retorted Paladino, who then derided Dicker as Cuomo's "stalking horse" and "bird dog."

The confrontation escalated from there.

"You send another goon to my daughter's house and I'll take you out, buddy," an apparent reference to the Post's coverage of a daughter Paladino had out of wedlock.

Dicker shot back: "You gonna take me out?"

"Yeah."

"How you gonna do that?"

"Watch," Paladino ended with, before walking off.

The Post declined to comment on the altercation. The Paladino camp did not immediately return a request for comment. Nor did the Cuomo camp.

NY governor candidate to reporter: 'I'll take you out' - CNN.com

ROFL! Not the best choice of words.

Remember though, this is the same guy who said he would use emminent Domain laws to stop the Islamic Cultural Centre near Ground Zero.

But that's besides the point.

I don't support idiotic reporters of tabloids like the New York Post going after candidates family members. This idiot reporter could probably use a good kick up the ass.

HOWEVER.

This candidate just probably shot up his chances with this heated exchange, which I think we can all agree. Could have gone alot better.

Certainly doesn't help he's making claims about his opponent that he can't back up.

All in all, he's a loser. Probably will end up losing.

Conservative politicians are all about chickenhawking aren't they? :roll:

Rhetorical Q.

I listened to this guy speak a few weeks ago. Sad theat anyone ever voted for him. He's got issues.

:neener

The sad thing is that certain voters will have no problem with this sort of boorish, lowbred and oafish behavior.

Why doesnt the NY media ask him about his donations to Schumer, Hillary, Kerry and his Eminent Domain abuses? He's just a conservative version of Elliot Spitzer, a big mouthed punk.

""You send another goon to my daughter's house and I'll take you out, buddy," an apparent reference to the Post's coverage of a daughter Paladino had out of wedlock."

I hate reporters, if they were stalking my childeren, I'd take them out. :shrug:

Aww, how nice of him to offer them dinner.

I've seen the confrontation on video and I support Paladino on this one. I also heard the reporter interviewed, and when asked "have you written negative stories about the other guy" he never answered the question and deflected it. These reporters are trying to attack Paladino's personal life and are harassing his 10 year old daughter that was born out of wedlock. The reporter in the video was irrationally angry, cursing, and acting uncivil. Paladino was firm in his disgust of them sending photographers to his 10 year old girl, and also talked about their media bias towards the Democrat that is running.

Im sorry, why do we care about this? A guy got mad and said something stupid, why is this film at 11?

In Paladino's defense, this reporter is a legendary asshole.

From a 2005 profile on the reporter:

Mr. Dicker, who is about to turn 61, has enraged so many people in Albany it's surprising that nobody has used physical violence against him-hold on, actually that did happen, back in 1987. "I see myself," Mr. Dicker said judiciously, "as being an equal-opportunity prick." Back to that 1987 incident, one which tells you a great deal about Fred Dicker. The setting was a drab state office building near the Capitol. Mr. Dicker was brimming over with outrage that he-a taxpayer and a member of the Fourth Estate-was being kept out of an Assembly office in a public building. He explained this persistently to the Assembly Speaker's chief of staff, Norman Adler. Mr. Adler finally shoved him to the floor and-according to Mr. Dicker and a television reporter he brought along-threatened to kick him in the, er, crotch. A television crew and a photographer were on hand to record the confrontation.

"Post Albany Chief Beaten," was the Post's front-page headline the next day, with an image of Mr. Dicker's bald pate and Mr. Adler towering over him. "He has refined the art of being obnoxious in the search of information," Mr. Adler, now a prominent lobbyist, told The Observer recently. "That's why he ended up on the ground."

Mr. Adler lost his job as a result of the incident. Mr. Dicker reprinted the Post's cover on T-shirts and sold them around the Capitol to cover printing costs.

'Obnoxious in the search of information' - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

Ok, and? Does that make him immune from snapping?

Nope, but he should do it behind closed doors like all other politicians, not on camera in front of a ton of reporters.

Nope, but he should do it behind closed doors like all other politicians, not on camera in front of a ton of reporters.
In an ideal world, yeah, he should. But I have a hard time faulting him for a momentary lapse in judgement, something we are all prone to doing. Almost everyone has done something stupid in public as a result of a momentary bout of murderfrenzy and while IDEALLY the guy shouldn't have blown up on-stage, I cant see a valid reason for getting upset with the guy.

In an ideal world, yeah, he should. But I have a hard time faulting him for a momentary lapse in judgement, something we are all prone to doing. Almost everyone has done something stupid in public as a result of a momentary bout of murderfrenzy and while IDEALLY the guy shouldn't have blown up on-stage, I cant see a valid reason for getting upset with the guy.

Considering 99% of all other politicians pretty much show their anger behind closed doors then this guy needs to learn something.

As for getting upset over the guy... I dont think it is much as being upset, but more being shocked that a supposed politician does not have the mental capacity to keep his ego and anger in check with camera's in front of him and frankly make death threats. Yes I would say a New Yorker saying "take some one out" as being a death threat. Only thing that would be worse if he was an Italian American with mob links :)

Considering 99% of all other politicians pretty much show their anger behind closed doors then this guy needs to learn something.
99% of my angry outbursts are behind closed doors. If the guy has a trend of doing this, then I'd say he needs to consider some anger management. But if this is the first time or out-of-character, I dont know why anyone would give it a second thought. Almost all politicians have snapped at someone in public at least once in their careers.

As for getting upset over the guy... I dont think it is much as being upset, but more being shocked that a supposed politician does not have the mental capacity to keep his ego and anger in check with camera's in front of him and frankly make death threats. Yes I would say a New Yorker saying "take some one out" as being a death threat. Only thing that would be worse if he was an Italian American with mob links :)
Again, I think it's a total non-issue. He reacted in a very human way and while it may not have been the most appropriate, I think we can all relate about losing our cool in public when someone does something that works our last nerve. Granted he is someone that we generally expect a higher standard of behavior from, but I dont see any reason to blame him for not acting in a completely beatific manner.

Did you see how the reporter behaved? He was screaming at him and when I watched the video, I originally thought he was the republican because he was the one behaving badly. And he has sent people to his daughters house before, which is higely disrespectful. So of course he's not going to be nice to him.

Take some one out, refers to arresting him. Not killing him. The fact is, if a progressive did this, you would probably defend this guy.

Last edited:
""You send another goon to my daughter's house and I'll take you out, buddy," an apparent reference to the Post's coverage of a daughter Paladino had out of wedlock."

I hate reporters, if they were stalking my childeren, I'd take them out. :shrug:

Involving someone's child/children in the news against them is wrong. But having a child out of wedlock while married is worse, especially when you hold yourself in higher moral regard than others. It is worse when you think God hold's you in higher regard but has forgiven you of all your transgressions ahead of time so you can continue to commit transgressions. So, if you are going to talk one way and walk another yet persue a path in PUBLIC office then you are asking for anything you get, IMO. Freedom of speech comes with consequences. Get ready to see that personified to the max in the most negative manner if not 2010 certainly 2012. Politicians have allowed politics to become this ugly and the networks have been right there to cheer them along. I believe a truce and some self-governance is badly needed.

RealClearPolitics - Articles - John McCain: Mr. Nice Guy or Back Alley Mugger?

58768.jpg

Paladino sent a much needed message to reporters, around the world, to know when the back the **** off.

You want to report all the dirt you can find on a politician and his performance in public life? Fine, go ahead. Kids are off limits.

I'da probably just slapped the **** out of his punk ass.

Did you see how the reporter behaved? He was screaming at him and when I watched the video, I originally thought he was the republican because he was the one behaving badly. And he has sent people to his daughters house before, which is higely disrespectful. So of course he's not going to be nice to him.

Take some one out, refers to arresting him. Not killing him. The fact is, if a progressive did this, you would probably defend this guy.

'Taking someone out' does not refer to arresting him. Not in this country, anyway.

The real point is, though, Paladino is not leader material with an uncontrolled temper like this.

So, no one understands that he was mad about the reporter treating him like a jerk, violating his 10 year old daughters privacy and sending photographers after her? And all done by a media outlet that is heavily biased towards Democrats? How would you feel if people were snapping pictures of your child in an attempt to smear you for having a baby out of wedlock? I don't think Paladino did any wrong. He wasn't violent, and he wasn't cursing like the reporter was. He was just sticking up for his family and any good parent would.

So, no one understands that he was mad about the reporter treating him like a jerk, violating his 10 year old daughters privacy and sending photographers after her? And all done by a media outlet that is heavily biased towards Democrats? How would you feel if people were snapping pictures of your child in an attempt to smear you for having a baby out of wedlock? I don't think Paladino did any wrong. He wasn't violent, and he wasn't cursing like the reporter was. He was just sticking up for his family and any good parent would.

A "good parent" would not get woman (not his current wife) pregnant. Again I post:

john-edwards-rielle-hunter-love-child-photo.jpg

So tuff shyte on Carl. You play; you pay.

Back
Top Bottom