• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Number of uninsured U.S. adults hits four-year high

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From United Press International

Jan. 23 (UPI) -- Roughly 13.7 percent of U.S. adults went without medical insurance in the fourth quarter of 2018, the highest rate since before the Affordable Care Act made took effect in 2014, a new Gallup poll found.

An estimated 7 million more adults are without health insurance now versus 2016 when the rate of uninsured dropped to a new low of 10.9 percent. Gallup collected data as part of the National Health and Well-Being index, which surveyed 28,000 adults per quarter in 2018. Respondents were asked if they have health coverage.

There are a number of factors that could be contributing to the decline, Gallup said.

"One may be an increase in the rates of insurance premiums in many states for some of the more popular ACA Insurance plans in 2018," Gallup said. "For enrollees with incomes that do not qualify for government subsidies, the resulting hike in rates could have had the effect of driving them out of the marketplace."

COMMENT:-

Another "Obama Era" landmark smashed by Mr. Trump?

And don't forgot Trump dropped the requirement that they have to sign up or face a penalty. I would think that has some effect don't you?

Jan. 23 (UPI) -- Roughly 13.7 percent of U.S. adults went without medical insurance in the fourth quarter of 2018, the highest rate since before the Affordable Care Act made took effect in 2014, a new Gallup poll found.

An estimated 7 million more adults are without health insurance now versus 2016 when the rate of uninsured dropped to a new low of 10.9 percent. Gallup collected data as part of the National Health and Well-Being index, which surveyed 28,000 adults per quarter in 2018. Respondents were asked if they have health coverage.

There are a number of factors that could be contributing to the decline, Gallup said.

"One may be an increase in the rates of insurance premiums in many states for some of the more popular ACA Insurance plans in 2018," Gallup said. "For enrollees with incomes that do not qualify for government subsidies, the resulting hike in rates could have had the effect of driving them out of the marketplace."

Yeah. Longest government shutdown. Most uninsured adults. I bet you're tired of all the winning.

And don't forgot Trump dropped the requirement that they have to sign up or face a penalty. I would think that has some effect don't you?

It probably did and when you look at the fact that "preexisting condition" refers to a condition that existed prior to taking out insurance, the insurance companies just love it when people who don't make claims put off taking out insurance until after they develop conditions that the insurance companies would have to pay claims on.

More like an Obama Era landmark period. This was a predicted outcome of Obamacare. Drive up rates and you eventually drive people out of the market. Removing the 'stick' of punishment for not buying insurance allows more people to make that choice.

It probably did and when you look at the fact that "preexisting condition" refers to a condition that existed prior to taking out insurance, the insurance companies just love it when people who don't make claims put off taking out insurance until after they develop conditions that the insurance companies would have to pay claims on.

They don't 'love it' at all. They would prefer people buy an maintain insurance long term. People who wait until they get sick to buy insurance drive up costs for everyone.

As a note -- 'pre-existing' condition isn't a concept unique to health insurance. You can't buy a insurance for a car after you wreck it, or a house after a fire or flood, and expect it to be covered either. Insurance is an tool designed to spread out risk, not simply to pay for losses.

And before you come back with 'you just want these people to die!!' - I absolutely do not. The approach taken by the ACA was poorly designed from an economic perspective -- really designed to fail. We need to look at other options for this group of people that aren't as disruptive to people who already have adequate coverage.

wait i thought the ACA was supposed to end this and costs were supposed to go down not up?
the ACA was a failure from the start and obama owns this failure not trump but then again facts don't
seem to matter to you.

TDS failure.

wait i thought the ACA was supposed to end this and costs were supposed to go down not up?
the ACA was a failure from the start and obama owns this failure not trump but then again facts don't
seem to matter to you.

TDS failure.

With the mandate removed, you don't think there would be an increase in uninsured? Wow, man, I didn't think your comments could be dumber, but here we are looking right at it. :lamo

Yeah it's amazing that something the GOP never supported and fought for 8 years tooth and nail didn't get better with a REPUBLICAN congress for 4 years and a REPUBLICAN president for 2 years, who would have thought it? :roll:

seem to matter to you.

You seem to have missed out on some important information. Perhaps step out of the bubble?

Trump to end key ACA subsidies, a move that will threaten the law’s marketplaces

TDS failure.

Indeed, it seems nearly all Trump supporters have extremely bad cases of TDS.

You seem to have missed out on some important information. Perhaps step out of the bubble?

Trump to end key ACA subsidies, a move that will threaten the law’s marketplaces

Indeed, it seems nearly all Trump supporters have extremely bad cases of TDS.

nope blaming trump for what we all knew was a abject failure from the start and was even admitted to be a failure by
the guy that designed the whole thing is what is called TDS.

congrats on proving you have it.

I paid the penalty one year...it was totally worth it. It was only 1/3 of what I would have paid out in monthly premiums...nearly "useless to me" premiums. It's cheaper to just pay as you go if you're willing to gamble on no major injuries or illnesses....and I was 56 at the time.

Even now, I deny I have insurance and pay cash up front for basic (rare) Dr visits...they take 30% off for cash.

How ****ed up is the system when it's cheaper for me to pay cash for a Dr appt than to use my crappy health ins? Any better coverage is too much $$ and what I have is useful for major medical/catastrophic at about the same coverage/$.

Obamacare's price hikes have basically priced individuals out of the markets and these skyrocketing premiums and deductables have impacted the Middle class the worst

So this was expected. The Democrats think they can blame the price hikes on Republicans or Trump. It's absurd when we had double digit rate hikes under. Obama

That law is a abomination, a disaster from the get go.

More like an Obama Era landmark period. This was a predicted outcome of Obamacare. Drive up rates and you eventually drive people out of the market. Removing the 'stick' of punishment for not buying insurance allows more people to make that choice.

If you want to do something incredibly unusual on the Internet, and that is to step back from preconceptions and look at the situation dispassionately, the real "problem" with the ACA is that it was akin to trying to cross a swamp in three steps without getting either foot muddy.

They don't 'love it' at all. They would prefer people buy an maintain insurance long term. People who wait until they get sick to buy insurance drive up costs for everyone.

People who wait until they get sick before they buy insurance have what are known as "preexisting conditions" and those things don't get covered.

As a note -- 'pre-existing' condition isn't a concept unique to health insurance. You can't buy a insurance for a car after you wreck it, or a house after a fire or flood, and expect it to be covered either. Insurance is an tool designed to spread out risk, not simply to pay for losses.

That's what the insurance companies tell you. In theory that is correct, in practice insurance is a tool designed to collect premiums without paying benefits so that the owners of the insurance companies can collect large dividends from the profits.

And before you come back with 'you just want these people to die!!' - I absolutely do not. The approach taken by the ACA was poorly designed from an economic perspective -- really designed to fail. We need to look at other options for this group of people that aren't as disruptive to people who already have adequate coverage.

You might want to take a look at expanding the size of the pool covered. Check the amount per capita that other developed countries with healthcare SYSTEMS that are at least as good as the American health care SYSTEM is to see what I mean.

LOL, Blame Trump first as usual? I think the cost (which Obama lied was going to go down, giving the average family a $2500 savings) is part of the reason. Possibly eliminating the individual mandate contributed. IMHO, we should modify the "everybody's covered" objective into "everybody THAT WANTS is covered". And yes I know that has some public cost to it.

If you want to do something incredibly unusual on the Internet, and that is to step back from preconceptions and look at the situation dispassionately, the real "problem" with the ACA is that it was akin to trying to cross a swamp in three steps without getting either foot muddy.

The problem with the ACA was that it was an attempt to take a shortcut through the swamp without a map or compass. The notions that 'doing anything is better than nothing' and 'let's try to take a shortcut' prevailed. It was a failed plan which was not designed to achieve the stated objectives.

We would have been much better off at this point had democrats worked with republicans and designed in incremental change to address the actual issues, rather than trying to gut the system.

People who wait until they get sick before they buy insurance have what are known as "preexisting conditions" and those things don't get covered.

Actually, they currently do, which is what's driving up the cost. Again, we should have addressed THAT issue, rather than gutting the private insurance market to create others.

That's what the insurance companies tell you. In theory that is correct, in practice insurance is a tool designed to collect premiums without paying benefits so that the owners of the insurance companies can collect large dividends from the profits.

No, that is actually how they are designed. They spread the risk. For example, most people will never use home insurance, but by paying a little they cover the risk that they'll have a big bill in the event of a disaster. Health insurance also spreads the risk - premiums on everyone covers the few that will have serious issues. Insurance doesn't work unless groups participate to spread the risk. Yes, insurance companies... like all business, are designed to make a profit. Market forces and regulatory demands do place limits on this. They really do spend most of the money they bring in on claims.

You might want to take a look at expanding the size of the pool covered. Check the amount per capita that other developed countries with healthcare SYSTEMS that are at least as good as the American health care SYSTEM is to see what I mean.

No system is perfect. They all have their flaws and benefits. That doesn't mean you tear up something that's working and try to force something else in its place.

Last edited:

Sounds like someone's figuring out the importance of reversing the damage Trump and the GOP have done to the ACA.

The problem with the ACA was that it was an attempt to take a shortcut through the swamp without a map or compass.

There was a map. Still is.

Unexpected but True: Massachusetts Connector Has Lowest Average Premiums in the Country.

Sounds like someone's figuring out the importance of reversing the damage Trump and the GOP have done to the ACA.

By no longer punishing people for not carrying insurance if they don't want to?

By no longer punishing people for not carrying insurance if they don't want to?

By depressing enrollment, sabotaging the financial underpinnings of the insurance markets, and unnecessarily raising premiums out of spite.

By depressing enrollment, sabotaging the financial underpinnings of the insurance markets, and unnecessarily raising premiums out of spite.

. . . by no longer punishing people for not carrying insurance if they don't want to.

Unless you're referring to another change, in which case, please specify.

. . . by no longer punishing people for not carrying insurance if they don't want to.

Unless you're referring to another change, in which case, please specify.

Yes, I'm referring to undermining risk corridors; defunding the co-op plans; rejecting Medicaid expansion; discouraging enrollment; slashing advertising for open enrollment; handicapping and subsequently defunding navigators; ending the CSRs; creating parallel markets for junk plans; sowing uncertainty by trying to bring back pre-existing conditions via the courts; and ending the individual mandate while replacing it with nothing to deter adverse selection. Their goal has been to destabilize the markets and under Trump their dream may finally be coming to fruition, though to their credit the markets have proven incredibly resilient in the face of the GOP onslaught.

The GOP has spent the better part of the last decade taking a hammer to markets, which is why they've swung the door open for single-payer.

There was a map. Still is.

Unexpected but True: Massachusetts Connector Has Lowest Average Premiums in the Country.

I see. That's another way to look at it. Not only were they being guided by people who didn't know how to read a map, they were using a map for Massachusetts and assuming it would work in every swamp.

And the ACA was collapsing all on its own.

I see. That's another way to look at it. Not only were they being guided by people who didn't know how to read a map, they were using a map for Massachusetts and assuming it would work in every swamp.

From an economic perspective, the approach pioneered in Mass works fine.

It's not even "collapsing" now, though it's certainly taking a pounding from the anti-market right.

The rates were driven up because of Republican induced instability to insurance markets.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/blog/2017/05/17/10-ways-the-gop-sabotaged-obamacare/

There is no logical reason why the Massachusetts model would not work nationally. You do realize that the PPACA was founded on an idea generated and nurtured inside the Heritage Foundation?

Original document where Heritage created Obamacare individual mandate

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom