• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Number of people getting SS disability has doubled

Many people that are economically devastated by a rogue administration see an enormous, unjustifiable amount of American tax payer money unfairly given to Democrat voting, parasitical immigrants and conclude "Screw this ahole government, I deserve this money more than than those America destroying foreigners do." It's difficult to argue with that reasoning because it is correct.

Last edited:
Slyfox, I read about it in a study by one of the major think tanks maybe Cato not sure. It all boils down to how the definition of "disabled" is being interpreted under this administration. Most of the increases in claims are coming from mental illness and pain with no physical condition to relate to the pain making them subjective. It also delved into the amount of fraud of people who did receive disability and have since returned to work and are still cashing the checks. It was very informative. If I can relocate the study, I'll be more than glad to send the link your way.
I would appreciate it if you would. My research showed the loosening of restrictions happened way back before 1990. It also said many states have had to cut back on people overseeing the programs, people who were responsible on cracking down on fraud, because of the recession. Additionally, because of the recession and lack of income (as well as Baby Boomers), more people have applied because they need the extra money. Finally, the last time I looked, the last reform of SSDI was under Reagan and nothing has happened under Obama.

So if you could present your evidence which shows otherwise, I'd appreciate it.

Source (supports most of my post, I believe...there are other sources too, but this should be good): Social Security Disability Enrollment Rising Due To Demographic Trends, Not Obama 'Slavery' Plot: CBO

and that is the crux of the matter, isn't it? It's not that people in their 40s and 50s want to just sit on their butts and collect a basic living allowance from the rest of us, but that they can't find jobs that pay any more than that, maybe no jobs at all.

Well, sort of. Remember that leisure is a good that people seek, and that therefore a life of SSDI, Medicaid, et. al. may "pay" better in total compensation than employment that is available, but "pays" less.

How did this administration make it easier to get disability? I wasn't aware that the House passed any laws making disability easier.

Issuance is an Executive Function ;)

I find it hard to believe that almost 10% of the total workforce would be disabled enough to receive payments for it.

They're not. As folks from both sides are pointing out - they are only in it for the free money. Abusing the system and making it harder to take care of our truly disabled.

Well, sort of. Remember that leisure is a good that people seek, and that therefore a life of SSDI, Medicaid, et. al. may "pay" better in total compensation than employment that is available, but "pays" less.

The guiding principle needs to be that those who work have more than those who don't. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

I think it's true that most humans, assuming they are physically fit, would prefer to make a positive contribution to society. Most people would prefer to be productive in some way or another.

I think it's true that most humans, assuming they are physically fit, would prefer to make a positive contribution to society. Most people would prefer to be productive in some way or another.

Most people aren't the problem.

What are the data?
I think those should have an impact on the assessment of the situation.

I really have to wonder how people think of it in terms making a "positive contribution to society". I somehow doubt many people think of anything in those terms.

I really have to wonder how people think of it in terms making a "positive contribution to society". I somehow doubt many people think of anything in those terms.

Obviously you are entitled to your doubts, and assessing human behavior reveals a complex situation. Each individual is different, even though we are all similar in behavior and thought processes.

For the most part, each human would like to think that he contributes in some way to the greater good. Yes, there are exceptions and there are loners, but most people would like to be doing something constructive, as opposed to just sitting around doing nothing at all. One might argue that humans were engineered for work, but I digress. :2razz:

Back
Top Bottom