• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Number of Illegal Immigrants in U.S. declining

Catz Part Deux

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Number of illegal immigrants in US now declining - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – The number of illegal immigrants in the U.S. has dropped for the first time in 20 years as substantially fewer undocumented workers from Mexico, Latin America and elsewhere are crossing the border in search of jobs, an independent research group says.

The analysis by the Pew Hispanic Center suggests the nation's economic downturn and increased border enforcement have reduced the number of illegal immigrants, who make up roughly 4 percent of the U.S. population.

The findings come amid bitter debate over Arizona's strict new immigration law - now being challenged in federal court after lawmakers passed it earlier this year. The Obama administration contends the state law usurps federal authority and promotes racial profiling, while Arizona says states are justified to step in if federal enforcement falls substantially short.

The study released Wednesday estimates that 11.1 million illegal immigrants lived in the U.S. in 2009. That represents a decrease of roughly 1 million, or 8 percent, from a peak of 12 million in 2007, before Arizona intervened with its new enforcement measures.

Good news.

Interesting...you cant help but wonder the cause...is it because there is so much more increased attention on apprehending illegal immigrants? Because there are fewer jobs? Or maybe because all the ones that want to work are already here?

I think it's a combination of stepped up border patrols, fewer jobs, more laws targeting them, and stiffer penalties for employers.

This also shows how much of a lie the commonly held belief of "Americans won't do this work" is.

Bull****. If Americans can't find a job, they sure as hell will, and are.

Illegal immigration to U.S. down almost 67% since 2000, report says

The number of illegal immigrants entering the United States has plunged by almost two-thirds in the past decade, a dramatic shift after years of growth in the population, according to a new report by the Pew Hispanic Center.

According to the report, it is recession and no jobs being the reason for the decline. This statistic is further enhanced by the fact that the number of illegal aliens living in the US has decreased by a whopping 8%.

I can't speak for anybody else, but here is the way I see it. Too many people are demonizing illegal aliens for coming here, but not laying the blame on the real demons, those who hire illegal aliens, in violation of the law. Want to see the illegal alien problem end? It is simple....

If you hire illegal aliens, your business will be shut down, and you will go to prison.

Pretty simple, isn't it? But that is all that has to be done. So, next time, before you lay the blame on someone who is only looking for a way to make a living and put food on the table, you had better lay that blame where is really belongs - On criminals masquerading as legitimate businesses. Legitimate businesses don't break the law by hiring illegal aliens. Only criminals do.

Article is here.

Last edited:
I think it's a combination of stepped up border patrols, fewer jobs, more laws targeting them, and stiffer penalties for employers.

This also shows how much of a lie the commonly held belief of "Americans won't do this work" is.

Bull****. If Americans can't find a job, they sure as hell will, and are.

Well I freqin hope so. I hope people are stepping up...taking jobs...and EVERY step is taken to secure the borders and allow those that are here legally a little respite from all the garbage.

Re: Illegal immigration to U.S. down almost 67% since 2000, report says

No argument here. However, the continued attractiveness will still be the hopes of getting over the border to either have an anchor baby or a hope of some pathway to citizenship for those who are here when that pathway is enacted. Those are still two huge reasons to continue to come over the border. Until the 14th amendment is updated and specifies anchor baby's will no longer be recognized and the pathway to citizenship is at the back of the line (though reform is needed) I still see being in the U.S. as better than being in Mexico. Even with unemployment and the recession. The perks are way to great here. And I'm not totally buying the numbers either... there is no accurate way to count illegals, nor the #'s of illegals crossing the border.

Moderator's Warning:
Threads merged

Pretty simple, isn't it? But that is all that has to be done. So, next time, before you lay the blame on someone who is only looking for a way to make a living and put food on the table, you had better lay that blame where is really belongs - On criminals masquerading as legitimate businesses. Legitimate businesses don't break the law by hiring illegal aliens. Only criminals do

Unfortunately, that's not the only thing that has to be done. We put the onus for determining legality on employers, and they are explicitly forbidden from asking for specific types of identification because that might be discriminatory. We need to make it easier for businesses to determine legal status before hiring. ANd that means some form of standardized, difficult to forge, national ID.

And you know how that sets off the lunatic right wing.

Don't fall for this double speak! the story says:
WASHINGTON – The number of illegal immigrants in the U.S. has dropped for the first time in 20 years as substantially fewer undocumented workers from Mexico, Latin America and elsewhere are crossing the border in search of jobs, an independent research group says.

This is a propaganda story to ease the pressure on Obama and the Dems before Nov. elections. The number coming in may be smaller but the stories we see in the news and on the National Geographic Channel and my best friend's son on the Border Patrol in Nogalis AZ. says every damn day.

If the number was moving south we would have heard about it before now. So far they are fleeing AZ and heading to sanctuary Cities in California like LA, San Diego, and Frisco.

I don't buy the B.S.

Unfortunately, that's not the only thing that has to be done. We put the onus for determining legality on employers, and they are explicitly forbidden from asking for specific types of identification because that might be discriminatory. We need to make it easier for businesses to determine legal status before hiring. ANd that means some form of standardized, difficult to forge, national ID.

And you know how that sets off the lunatic right wing.

What's wrong with a state ID being used?

But I think a national standard for state I.D. cards could be a good idea. You should see the drivers licenses from Minnesota. They're sweet!

I can't speak for anybody else, but here is the way I see it. Too many people are demonizing illegal aliens for coming here, but not laying the blame on the real demons, those who hire illegal aliens, in violation of the law.

Yeah, business owners are "demons" because they want to hire the best workers at the lowest price, instead of reserving those jobs for uneducated Americans and paying them artificially high wages. :roll:

I'm glad we have a sanctuary policy here in the District. Maybe some of the ones from Arizona can come here.

Last edited:

I find the article to be suspect. The number of illegal immigrants is decreasing? Maybe they're just moving to a different state? You know away from the border. My other question is why is the figure being put at 11 million people? I thought it was something like 30 million illegal immigrants?

I find it plain weird that we can count 'em, but not catch 'em.

Its hysterical watching Obama's people trying to get credit for the decline when everyone knows "its the economy stupid"

Back
Top Bottom