• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nuke tags?

RosieS

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Ok, help needed from techy guys and gals. Ya always hear that anything on the Interwebs will be out there forever. Why? Why can't some nuke tag be developed? Special nuke bots will crawl the web and delete anything a nuke tag is attached to.

After all, how many decades do ya need to have nekkid Anna Nicole Smith pix out there? She's gone, let her go already.

Is this do-able? If not now, any guess when? TIA!

Regards from Rosie

[insert nuke tag here]

Because anything that would act on these tags would first have to hack into the servers that the tagged data was stored on to erase the data. Even then, data is almost never truly erased.

A bigger question is why do you want to destroy data in the first place? The relative immutability of the web is a point in it's favor, not against it as far as I can see.

OIC. Well then could expiration date tags be added by the servers? Could the servers dump the tagged data at a scheduled time?

Oh there's tons of stuff out there that ought to be gone. The drunken fratboy pix that potential employers could look at? The nasty rants your ex-spouse posted that your current flame could find? Stuff that is flat out wrong? Things you wouldn't care that your kids should see that you put on some strange political forum twenty years ago, maybe?

Regards from Rosie

If you don't want your pictures or messages to stay around, DON"T PUT THEM ON THE INTERNET. It is your problem and your responsibility to deal with it.

OIC. Well then could expiration date tags be added by the servers? Could the servers dump the tagged data at a scheduled time?
Then you'd have to fundamentally re-structure the way all of our internet hardware works AND convince everyone to spend millions of dollars switching to the new hardware. In other words, no.

Oh there's tons of stuff out there that ought to be gone. The drunken fratboy pix that potential employers could look at? The nasty rants your ex-spouse posted that your current flame could find? Stuff that is flat out wrong? Things you wouldn't care that your kids should see that you put on some strange political forum twenty years ago, maybe?
It's still data. It isnt your job to make judgement calls about it's value. If you dont like it, dont look at it. I'm extremely uncomfortable with the idea of just culling data you dont like.

I have never been a fan of DRM in any form.

Wow. All righty then. Thanks for the input. Doesn't change my view that it's 80% good stuff 20% pure crap and we'd all be better off with the crap gone, but I'm obviously outvoted.

Hope no one here has nasty lies posted about them or their loved ones. I truly hope you never go thru that...it's not pretty at all.

Regards from Rosie

Wow. All righty then. Thanks for the input. Doesn't change my view that it's 80% good stuff 20% pure crap and we'd all be better off with the crap gone, but I'm obviously outvoted.

Hope no one here has nasty lies posted about them or their loved ones. I truly hope you never go thru that...it's not pretty at all.

Regards from Rosie

I don't think it's lies posted about them that people need be concerned about. In one's personal life, lies told are rarely destructive. Just about everyone has a built-in bull**** detector for gossip.

But those nekkid pics you let your boyfriend take? Now those are likely to be a problem down the road. Revenge is sahWEET.

How would you like it if someone decided that your posts were part of the 20% crap and had the power to delete them? Censorship may sound like a good idea until you realize that other people can do it to you.

As opposed to having people spread nasty lies using the good old fashioned mouth? Either you accept that sometimes people do bad things and move on, or if the slander crosses the line, you file a suit for libel.

Oh please. feel free. If you can find a way to erase anything and everything that I've ever put on the WWW, feel free. I'm not so egotistical to think that anything I've ever posted is worthy of being enshrined past the next ten minutes or so.

It would be easier for everyone not to have to wade thru the crap, however. A case in point is all the Birther threads here. A total waste of space, and proof to future generations that this generation was in some ways quite moronic. Ya really think keeping any of them for posterity is a GOOD thing? sheesh

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie
Nasty lies or not, removing data from the internet is not ok, even if it's wrong. The entire point of the internet is to be a repository and exchange of data, it doesnt need purging.

Oh please. feel free. If you can find a way to erase anything and everything that I've ever put on the WWW, feel free. I'm not so egotistical to think that anything I've ever posted is worthy of being enshrined past the next ten minutes or so.
Who get's to make the decision if your posts are crap? You? Someone who disagrees with you?

It would be easier for everyone not to have to wade thru the crap, however. A case in point is all the Birther threads here. A total waste of space, and proof to future generations that this generation was in some ways quite moronic. Ya really think keeping any of them for posterity is a GOOD thing? sheesh
They may not serve much of a purpose, but I see that as no excuse to be censoring.

As to personal postings. I really don't care who edits them. Whoever does will be wise enuff to trash much of what I've written.

We have the profession of archivist that is trained to distinguish between treasure and trash. The rely on hundreds of content area experts to get their job done correctly, as well. This has been done for print media for centuries; there is no discernable reason why the 'Net should be different. Getting rid of useless crap isn't censorship, it's archiving. It isn't a new activity in the least.

Regards from Rosie

Okay, imagine you actually posted something of substance. Lets suppose you discovered the next watergate and posted it on the internet. Would you be okay with other people having the power to delete it?

It isn't my call to make. If Vague wants to delete them he can, but i will never support any other party having that kind of power. Birther threads may be worthless, but defending speech requires protecting both the good and the bad.

Regards from Rosie

The nice thing about the birther threads? You never have to open them.

And wade through what crap? Who do you think is wading through crap? They're either interested/interesting, or they're not.

Okay, imagine you actually posted something of substance. Lets suppose you discovered the next watergate and posted it on the internet. Would you be okay with other people having the power to delete it?

It isn't my call to make. If Vague wants to delete them he can, but i will never support any other party having that kind of power. Birther threads may be worthless, but defending speech requires protecting both the good and the bad.

Yup. Because if I can only think of the Internet as the one and only way to get the story promulgated, I deserve to have it deleted from the Internet, don't I.

Let me quickly upload a video of it to some of the cable news outlets using this netbook and then delete to your heart's content, all right?

Regards from Rosie

The nice thing about the birther threads? You never have to open them.

And wade through what crap? Who do you think is wading through crap? They're either interested/interesting, or they're not.

The 20% of the total stuff on the Internet is crap. Flat out wrong from the start or outdated and useless. That's the crap that needs to be gone. That's what archivists do...whether people like that they do it or not. Eventually the crap will pile so high that the nuggets of goodness to be mined will be terribly obscured. So archivists will have to do their thing eventually. I think sooner is better than later.

Regards from Rosie

This whole thread really indicates some confusion about the way the internet works, the nature of information, and the unfathomable amount of data that already exists. If you developed some magical software that would allow you root access to every server on the planet and then decided to delete everything that was "useless," it would take a team of 10,000 people 10,000 years to sort through the data that gets added to the internet every year.

We have the profession of archivist that is trained to distinguish between treasure and trash. The rely on hundreds of content area experts to get their job done correctly, as well. This has been done for print media for centuries; there is no discernable reason why the 'Net should be different. Getting rid of useless crap isn't censorship, it's archiving. It isn't a new activity in the least.

This is just untrue. Every word from every single major newspaper has been enshried for all eternity in lexis, microfilm, hard copy, and on most paper's websites. The good, the bad, and the "useless." Moreso than most, the press understands the importance of preserving information.

Eventually the crap will pile so high that the nuggets of goodness to be mined will be terribly obscured. So archivists will have to do their thing eventually.

I'll offer you 1000:1 odds that this will never happen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom