• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nuke Power Plants = Nuclear Weapons FYI

Razoo

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Today, as the world community attempts to address the pressing issue of global climate change, the nuclear industry is hailing nuclear power as a green alternative to fossil fuels. With the industry calling for a “nuclear renaissance,” it is more important than ever to oppose nuclear power in favor of truly renewable energy that does not endanger our safety.

When utility companies say that nuclear power plants cannot explode like an atomic bomb, they are correct; such an explosion is a physical impossibility for conventional nuclear power plants. Nevertheless, there are valid links between the two issues with which many people are not familiar.

Nuclear Reactions
First, the nuclear reaction which takes place in nuclear power plants is identical to the nuclear reaction which took place in the Hiroshima bomb— the splitting of the uranium-235 atom. Thus, the radioactive “daughter” elements produced in the two reactions—including krypton-85, xenon-133, strontium-90, and cesium-137 among many others—are identical.

Also, the dangerous radiation produced is the same.This radiation is principally of four types: alpha particles (similar to helium nuclei), neutrons, beta particles (electrons), and gamma rays. This radiation does not penetrate directly through the walls of a nuclear power plants because the plant is too heavily shielded.

However, significant amounts of radiation can and do penetrate from nuclear power plants into the environment because of emissions of radioactive daughter elements which, in turn, decompose by emitting radiation.

At Hiroshima, enormous levels of radiation contributed to the deaths of tens of thousands of people immediately and produced the painful, lingering deaths from radiation sickness in countless others.

Even with the very much lower levels that such radiation is emitted from nuclear power plants in the United States, such radiation has been linked to the dramatically increased incidence of cancer, leukemia, and terminal gastro-intestinal disorders.

Daughter elements produced in nuclear power plants can escape into the environment in two different ways: first, through “routine” emissions—that is, when the plant is operating normally and no mistakes occur; and, second, through accidents which suddenly release a large

Some facts you might not be aware of:

America’s Nuclear Navy is one of the oldest and largest nuclear organizations in the world, and has the world’s best safety record of any industry of any kind. In terms of work hazards apart from combat, it is safer to work on a U.S. nuclear submarine or aircraft carrier than it is to sit at a desk trading stocks.​
Thousands upon thousands of people, 22,000 people at any one time, have lived, worked, eaten and slept within a stone’s throw of these nuclear reactors for 60 years with no adverse effects from radiation at all.​
Annual radiation doses to Navy personnel have averaged only 0.005 rem/year (5 mrem/year; 0.05 mSv/year), a thousand times less than the federal 5 rem/year allowed for radworkers. Normal background radiation in the United States varies from 100 mrem/year to over 1,000 mrem/year.​
The Nuclear Navy has logged over 5,400 reactor years of accident-free operations and travelled over 130 million miles on nuclear energy, enough to circle the earth 3,500 times. LINK

Myself, I served for 4 years aboard a nuclear submarine. In that 4 year's time, 6 months were in the shipyard, and 3 1/2 years in operation, 3 of which were out to sea, 2 1/2 of which were fully submerged. My "field day" areas were the aux machinery space and the reactor compartment. I've got roughly 3-4 full hours inside the reactor compartment when it was shut down - to clean. The Navy loves to clean things. I wore a film badge the entire time I was below decks attached to the sub and a pocket dosimeter whenever I entered the reactor compartment. My total radiation dose for those 4 years was about ONE FIFTH the background radiation I get in one year's time at home, here in Colorado.

For all the fear-mongering some like to do re nuclear power - most of it is out of pure ignorance and fear. THAT said, nuclear reactors are no toy either. They must be built, run, and maintained scrupulously - which the US Navy has proven can be done.

America’s Nuclear Navy is one of the oldest and largest nuclear organizations in the world, and has the world’s best safety record of any industry of any kind. In terms of work hazards apart from combat, it is safer to work on a U.S. nuclear submarine or aircraft carrier than it is to sit at a desk trading stocks.​
Thousands upon thousands of people, 22,000 people at any one time, have lived, worked, eaten and slept within a stone’s throw of these nuclear reactors for 60 years with no adverse effects from radiation at all.​
Annual radiation doses to Navy personnel have averaged only 0.005 rem/year (5 mrem/year; 0.05 mSv/year), a thousand times less than the federal 5 rem/year allowed for radworkers. Normal background radiation in the United States varies from 100 mrem/year to over 1,000 mrem/year.​
The Nuclear Navy has logged over 5,400 reactor years of accident-free operations and travelled over 130 million miles on nuclear energy, enough to circle the earth 3,500 times. LINK

Myself, I served for 4 years aboard a nuclear submarine. In that 4 year's time, 6 months were in the shipyard, and 3 1/2 years in operation, 3 of which were out to sea, 2 1/2 of which were fully submerged. My "field day" areas were the aux machinery space and the reactor compartment. I've got roughly 3-4 full hours inside the reactor compartment when it was shut down - to clean. The Navy loves to clean things. I wore a film badge the entire time I was below decks attached to the sub and a pocket dosimeter whenever I entered the reactor compartment. My total radiation dose for those 4 years was about ONE FIFTH the background radiation I get in one year's time at home, here in Colorado.

For all the fear-mongering some like to do re nuclear power - most of it is out of pure ignorance and fear. THAT said, nuclear reactors are no toy either. They must be built, run, and maintained scrupulously - which the US Navy has proven can be done.
The navy should be building and running our nuclear plants.

The navy should be building and running our nuclear plants.
100% Agree. Rickover absolutely knew what he was doing.

I know a lot of my shipmates who went to work in civilian plants after leaving the Navy and some of the stories (not all) they tell are sobering.

Today, as the world community attempts to address the pressing issue of global climate change, the nuclear industry is hailing nuclear power as a green alternative to fossil fuels. With the industry calling for a “nuclear renaissance,” it is more important than ever to oppose nuclear power in favor of truly renewable energy that does not endanger our safety.

When utility companies say that nuclear power plants cannot explode like an atomic bomb, they are correct; such an explosion is a physical impossibility for conventional nuclear power plants. Nevertheless, there are valid links between the two issues with which many people are not familiar.

Nuclear Reactions
First, the nuclear reaction which takes place in nuclear power plants is identical to the nuclear reaction which took place in the Hiroshima bomb— the splitting of the uranium-235 atom. Thus, the radioactive “daughter” elements produced in the two reactions—including krypton-85, xenon-133, strontium-90, and cesium-137 among many others—are identical.

Also, the dangerous radiation produced is the same.This radiation is principally of four types: alpha particles (similar to helium nuclei), neutrons, beta particles (electrons), and gamma rays. This radiation does not penetrate directly through the walls of a nuclear power plants because the plant is too heavily shielded.

However, significant amounts of radiation can and do penetrate from nuclear power plants into the environment because of emissions of radioactive daughter elements which, in turn, decompose by emitting radiation.

At Hiroshima, enormous levels of radiation contributed to the deaths of tens of thousands of people immediately and produced the painful, lingering deaths from radiation sickness in countless others.

Even with the very much lower levels that such radiation is emitted from nuclear power plants in the United States, such radiation has been linked to the dramatically increased incidence of cancer, leukemia, and terminal gastro-intestinal disorders.

Daughter elements produced in nuclear power plants can escape into the environment in two different ways: first, through “routine” emissions—that is, when the plant is operating normally and no mistakes occur; and, second, through accidents which suddenly release a large

Nuclear power has a lower death rate than solar per kwh. It is, quite literally, the safest power source that has ever existed.

It would not eliminate the radio active nuclear waste problem and all that is associated.......

The are too many other sources for generating electricity. The Wall Street Journal once stated that the reason new plants were not coming on line is the expense of nuke power plants and thereafter.

Nuke weapons are simply too dangerous ...... they simply cannot be used safely.

It would not eliminate the radio active nuclear waste problem and all that is associated.......

The are too many other sources for generating electricity. The Wall Street Journal once stated that the reason new plants were not coming on line is the expense of nuke power plants and thereafter.

Nuke weapons are simply too dangerous ...... they simply cannot be used safely.
...and yet, the facts clearly prove you wrong.

Nuclear power has a lower death rate than solar per kwh. It is, quite literally, the safest power source that has ever existed.
says who .......

does that include all of the deaths associated with cancer and others that kill people.

Nuclear Reactions

At Hiroshima, enormous levels of radiation contributed to the deaths of tens of thousands of people immediately and produced the painful, lingering deaths from radiation sickness in countless others.Th

Pure nonsense. We've been operating nuclear power plants without any evidence of danger from "daughter elements" . The Hirosima bomb was designedfor maximum instantaneous energy release. Nuclear power plans are designed for controlled energy release over time. Bid difference.

The world needs to phase out nuke weapons of all sorts thus nuke power must go. Who wants radioactive waste in their backyards.

The world needs to phase out nuke weapons of all sorts thus nuke power must go. Who wants radioactive waste in their backyards.
Face it. You just don't like nuclear power. Emotionally, it's unappealing to you so you try to diss it with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about it. Literally none - it's just raw emotion, nothing else.

Nuclear weapons and nuclear propulsion/power plants are totally different.

Over the past 40 years, there have been several major nuclear accidents, including Browns Ferry in 1975, Three Mile Island in 1979, Chernobyl in 1986 and Fukushima in 2011.

“You could argue [we’ve had] five core melts because Fukushima could be counted as three core melts, and [we’ve had] two large off-site releases,” von Winterfeldt said. “These numbers are about 10 to 100 times larger than the risk analyses, so that is really something we need to worry about.”

Another serious concern surrounds nuclear waste, or spent fuel, which currently is scattered across the United States, creating danger of leakage and targets for terrorist attacks. In the 1980s, the U.S. Department of Energy made plans for consolidation and chose Yucca Mountain in Nevada as the site for a single, deep geological nuclear waste repository.

Subsequently, the site ran into problems ranging from the discovery of an earthquake fault to widespread political opposition, which culminated in the Obama administration shutting it down.

Nuclear proliferation poses another serious worry. The United States, Russia, China, India, Pakistan and Israel already possess nuclear weapons capabilities, and South Africa, North Korea and Iran have come close. Many fear that if Iran or North Korea, in particular, were able to develop nuclear weapons, those nations might use or furnish them to terrorists.

Last edited:
I referenced something similar in the facts I posted earlier, but here's something that might help you understand how "safe" your own backyard might be:

1645834638708.png

That red area there - labeled "high radiation" - delivers easily five times the radiation in one year that I got in four aboard an operating nuclear vessel (as a nuclear operator of that vessel). Or 20 times my accumulated dosage.
That yellow area? Roughly 3 times annually - or 12 times my accumulated dosage. And the green? Roughly half, or 2 times my accumulated dosage. Of course, ymmv.

Over the past 40 years, there have been several major nuclear accidents, including Browns Ferry in 1975, Three Mile Island in 1979, Chernobyl in 1986 and Fukushima in 2011.

“You could argue [we’ve had] five core melts because Fukushima could be counted as three core melts, and [we’ve had] two large off-site releases,” von Winterfeldt said. “These numbers are about 10 to 100 times larger than the risk analyses, so that is really something we need to worry about.”

Another serious concern surrounds nuclear waste, or spent fuel, which currently is scattered across the United States, creating danger of leakage and targets for terrorist attacks. In the 1980s, the U.S. Department of Energy made plans for consolidation and chose Yucca Mountain in Nevada as the site for a single, deep geological nuclear waste repository.

Subsequently, the site ran into problems ranging from the discovery of an earthquake fault to widespread political opposition, which culminated in the Obama administration shutting it down.

Nuclear proliferation poses another serious worry. The United States, Russia, China, India, Pakistan and Israel already possess nuclear weapons capabilities, and South Africa, North Korea and Iran have come close. Many fear that if Iran or North Korea, in particular, were able to develop nuclear weapons, those nations might use or furnish them to terrorists.

link please

You do realize except for Fukushima those incidents were 30 or more years ago; design, construction and operation of nuclear plants have improved several generations since then.

Good grief - first, "nuclear proliferation" refers to NUCLEAR WEAPONS, not generation. That's an entirely different discussion and totally irrelevant to this one (save perhaps for the fact that you obviously don't like anything with "nuclear" in the name).

Nuclear waste - yes, that's a factor we need to address in how we dispose of spent reactor cores. That said, it's doable, and has been doable for quite some time and will be doable for quite some time to come.

Nuclear incidents. Chernobyl - the worst of all. Piss poor manufacturing, operation, and materials. Need I say more? Fukushima - yes, an accident, but one that was preventable.

But what you're completely ignoring is - as just ONE EXAMPLE - the 5,400 reactor years of operation - accident free. Point being - IT IS EMINENTLY DOABLE, and doable SAFELY, if done properly.

You're conflated nuclear weapons and nuclear power generation - they're two different entities.
Probable was wind and solar power is that they require backup from conventional gas or coal-fired plants.

Back
Top Bottom